PDA

View Full Version : SI's Preview of the Sox

Dan Mega
02-15-2007, 12:17 PM
This is actually not bad compared to the crap the Cubune and Cub Times have been spewing
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2007/athlon/white_sox.html

Risk
02-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Decent article--was definitely better than the crappy local coverage. But IIRC, Chris Stewart was traded and is no longer an option as 3rd catcher.

Risk

rdivaldi
02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
"For years, Joe Crede has been the White Sox's best ballplayer."

Wow, that's quite a statement.

This must have been written awhile ago, it mentions Chris Stewart as a catching option.

rdwj
02-15-2007, 12:32 PM
I think that's very fair. Seems right on the money

jcw218
02-15-2007, 12:35 PM

This must have been written awhile ago, it mentions Chris Stewart as a catching option.

I don't think its that old. The article mentions that the Sox signed Junior Spivey to a minor league deal and that he would be invited to spring training. If I recall correctly, the Sox traded Chris Stewart before they signed Spivey.

SoxxoS
02-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Crede has been - All around. Its actually not even close.

ondafarm
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Better than the local garbage, but obviously they read the local stuff. Their reference to the Mark Buehrle impasse, which is a figment of Phil Rogers' imagination, shows that.

Nothing here that the top 50% of Sox fans here don't know.

rdwj
02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Crede has been - All around. Its actually not even close.

I agree - Dye is a distant second.

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Well think about, at every position except for 3B we have people who are capable of being good replacements. Crede is the heart of the defense and perhaps the best all-around 3b in baseball.

Foulke You
02-15-2007, 12:49 PM
It was a pretty decent synopsis of the 07 Sox. However, like a lot of national media, there was too much emphasis on Jim Thome. Yes, his production declined in the 2nd half which made life tougher for the Sox but the writer made it sound like Thome's drop in production and injury woes were the prime reason the Sox had a dismal 2nd half. I think we can all say Mark Buehrle's woeful 2nd half, Javy Vazquez's inability to last beyond the 6th inning, and the volatile middle relief corps led to our demise much more than Thome's drop in offense did.

soxtalker
02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Reasonable article. Has the advantage/disadvantage over the local articles in that the author(s) really appear to be able to view the Sox from a distance. Although a lot of fans on WSI seem upset with the local writers, I think that most of the concerns that they voice are due to them being too close.

Over By There
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Agreed that there's not a lot there that serious Sox fans don't know, but I thought it was a very balanced and intelligent* preview.

*If there's no more quibble than the Chris Stewart issue from die-hard fans, I think it's worthy of being called intelligent...

esbrechtel
02-15-2007, 01:33 PM
good preview...gets me excited for the season to begin! :gulp:

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I think we're gonna win 95 games this year and I think we're going to return to the playoffs...and a return to the playoffs will solve the "problems" with Buerhle (he'll resign) and Crede (he'll resign). Dye is a bit iffy...

Dan Mega
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
The Sox are the team that gave a chance to Dye after his injury plagued years. He even stuck to his verbal commitment to sign even after other teams came at the last second with bigger offers. Whats to say he won't give the Sox a big discount? By all accounts he seems like a terrific guy. Same goes for Buerhle.

Sargeant79
02-15-2007, 03:17 PM
I think we're gonna win 95 games this year and I think we're going to return to the playoffs...and a return to the playoffs will solve the "problems" with Buerhle (he'll resign) and Crede (he'll resign). Dye is a bit iffy...

I think there's a really good chance you'll be proven correct on most of this. 95 wins will be tough in this division, but it's definitely within reach if the pitching staff gets the job done. I still think it's a possibility that Buehrle will resign, but only if he accepts something under market value in terms of years on the contract. I actually think Dye is more likely to be resigned than Crede. I will be pretty surprised if Crede is here in 2009 (or 2008, for that matter).

esbrechtel
02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Given the choice I would rather have Crede sign a deal than Dye. Dye is an amazing player but I think as a player he is going to start to break down. Crede on the other hand has more of his career in front of him. If he has another good season he deserves a decent contract extension...

Sargeant79
02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Given the choice I would rather have Crede sign a deal than Dye. Dye is an amazing player but I think as a player he is going to start to break down. Crede on the other hand has more of his career in front of him. If he has another good season he deserves a decent contract extension...

While I agree with you, I don't see it happening that way. Due to Dye's age, I think he will accept a 3-year extension if the annual salary is close to where he wants it. As long as he has a decent year again this year, I could see the Sox doing that. Crede will be looking at 5 and 75 mil at a minimum if he has a good year again. I don't see the Sox paying that, especially given who they'd have to negotiate with.

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I think there's a really good chance you'll be proven correct on most of this. 95 wins will be tough in this division, but it's definitely within reach if the pitching staff gets the job done. I still think it's a possibility that Buehrle will resign, but only if he accepts something under market value in terms of years on the contract. I actually think Dye is more likely to be resigned than Crede. I will be pretty surprised if Crede is here in 2009 (or 2008, for that matter).
I see Dye walking instead of Crede if only because Dye is older. And I'm like 95% sure that Buerhle is going to resign with the Sox again regardless...I see him taking a hometown discount. But let's deal with that AFTER we win the World Series:wink:

It'll be a fun year for baseball on the southside...shoot, it'll be fun for the whole city.

ondafarm
02-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Reasonable article. Has the advantage/disadvantage over the local articles in that the author(s) really appear to be able to view the Sox from a distance. Although a lot of fans on WSI seem upset with the local writers, I think that most of the concerns that they voice are due to them being too close.

If you replace the word "close" with the word "stupid" I guess I'd agree with you.

Vernam
02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
I figured some people would question SI's comment about Crede, but I'm surprised no one responded to this:

Guillen too often made headlines with his comments in 2006 and could be in danger of wearing out his welcome if the Sox don't return to the playoffs.If they're saying Ozzie might not make it to 2008 if we miss the playoffs, I think that's a ridiculous statement.

The rest of the story was solid, though, IMO.

Vernam

Navarro's Talent
02-15-2007, 08:23 PM
It was a very fair read. It got me interested in the idea of KW possibly upgrading either CF or LF via trade before the deadline. We certainly have enough young talent that the Sox could get a really good player in return. It is, however, way too early to be talking about the trading deadline. Plus, I'm hoping that Anderson, Pods(when he returns), Erstad or possibly Sweeny will be good enough in the OF that KW won't have to start trading those young arms.

thomas35forever
02-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Good job, SI. This is how team analyses should be written.

guillen4life13
02-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Here's also just a little something to chew on.

The Sox don't really need to rely on every single pitching prospect to work out. The rotation in years to coming will not necessarily have to include Danks, Floyd, Gonzalez, Broadway and Haeger/another prospect. As a couple of pitchers on the team walk (Buehrle, specifically), that's money that can be applied to another (hopefully Garland... if Buehrle walks to begin with).

Maybe this was obvious. But it's just to say that the notion that the whole staff will be broken apart isn't necessarily accurate.