PDA

View Full Version : my speculation, Wood and roids

MincHiaPettito
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Cubs talk dominated my sports radio today. They arrived in AZ, okay fine. Bruce Levine said Wood lost 30 pounds after running and eating better. Injuries, losing weight, Sosa connection (you know everyone in the clubhouse knows and talks)...anyone else put 2 and 2 together. Of course, this is all my speculation, but I heard plenty do it about Thome (yes even in media) so anyone is fair game. Not sure if steroids does this, but it would be interesting if he lost a little heat on his pitches...

mshake10
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
If it's the reason he can throw 98, then how did he keep the velocity in 05 out of the pen with the strict penalties in place?

98navigator
02-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Cubs talk dominated my sports radio today. They arrived in AZ, okay fine. Bruce Levine said Wood lost 30 pounds after running and eating better. Injuries, losing weight, Sosa connection (you know everyone in the clubhouse knows and talks)...anyone else put 2 and 2 together. Of course, this is all my speculation, but I heard plenty do it about Thome (yes even in media) so anyone is fair game. Not sure if steroids does this, but it would be interesting if he lost a little heat on his pitches...

Nah, even though I'd love to cast dispersions I just don't think so. Wood has a great arm he's just been abused by the Cubs over the years. I also read that his H.S. coach pitched him, routinely, in both ends of double header games. He's been messed up for awhile... Now, if he mysteriously lost the weight the same year the new steroid policy went into effect I might be inclined to believe it. :tongue:

FedEx227
02-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Ala Ivan Rodriquez, Todd Helton, Javy Lopez.

Nah Wood isn't a steroid guy. He throws fast and has always thrown fast since he was in high-school. The injuries are not a result of some drug but rather inability to change his pitching motion.

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2007, 12:02 AM

Nah Wood isn't a steroid guy. He throws fast and has always thrown fast since he was in high-school. The injuries are not a result of some drug but rather inability to change his pitching motion.
When Wood first came up in 1998 he was a pudgy guy and was already a flamethrower, over the years he has consistently lost weight. I think all of those injuries are from a) poor mechanics b) misuse.

I have met Kerry Wood and he is a great guy. I'd love for him to get healthy and start dominating guys in a Sox uniform.

getonbckthr
02-15-2007, 01:46 AM
When Wood first came up in 1998 he was a pudgy guy and was already a flamethrower, over the years he has consistently lost weight. I think all of those injuries are from a) poor mechanics b) misuse.

I have met Kerry Wood and he is a great guy. I'd love for him to get healthy and start dominating guys in a Sox uniform.
Why?

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Why?

Don't you know that all Sox fans are flubsessed and would like to see nothing more than a former Cub prospect flourish with the White Sox aka Jon Garland?

:tongue:

Though that would be pretty funny that if right after the Cubs released him, the Sox pick him up for nothing and he succeeds under Cooper, if that happened no Cubs fan will act like Kerry Wood ever existed.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2007, 06:41 AM

I can assure you in the Sox system, he'd be healthier....or he'd be gone.

There'd be no 5 year lifeboat, towel throwing regime in the back pinstripe. We have a pitching coach who knows how to keep pitchers healthy, and make recommendations for improvement (alal Bobby Jenks). Move him into mid relief or closer, and I'd listen......but never as a starter.

PatK
02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Kerry isn't a roider.

I'd be more inclined to think Prior was.

AuroraSoxFan
02-15-2007, 08:19 AM
All I will say is that if he ever was on any roids he should go to his "supplier" and demand his $$ back. Roids are supposed to make you recover from wear and tear/injuries a lot faster than you would on your own. And with all the time that guy has lost due to injuries if he was on anything at all he got ripped off big time.

Risk
02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I doubt that Wood was a juicer. More like a victim of his own bad mechanics and idiot coaching from the Unlovable Losers.

Risk

PaulDrake
02-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Nah Wood isn't a steroid guy. He throws fast and has always thrown fast since he was in high-school. The injuries are not a result of some drug but rather inability to change his pitching motion. I agree.

98navigator
02-15-2007, 09:56 AM
I doubt that Wood was a juicer. More like a victim of his own bad mechanics and idiot coaching from the Unlovable Losers.

Risk

I think the Cubs have abused some arms over the years but Wood was much more a victim of his H.S. coach. He was recruited right out of high school and they rode him hard. When he came up in '98 he also threw A LOT of pitches but don't forget, the guy had Tommy John surgery right after his rookie year. That would lead me to believe that he had been abused in the years leading up to that season. That's just me.

In the years since, he hasn't been able to make adjustments but I saw him in 2005 (?) pitch in the bullpen and he was almost unhittable.

Iwritecode
02-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd love for him to get healthy and start dominating guys in a Sox uniform.

Why?

I think that should actually read something like: "I'd love for him to get healthy in a Sox uniform and start dominating guys.

A little less confusing... :cool:

gobears1987
02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
There was a story about how the day after he was drafted he started a game in a HS tourny and then later that day closed out another game. He threw well over 160 pitches that day. I think that screwed up his arm.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
my speculation...

:threadsucks

Jaffar
02-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on Woods first injury of 2007. Per Bruce Levine, ESPN radio 1000, Kerry Wood will miss the first week of workouts with bruised ribs after falling out of a hot tub...........not a joke.

chisoxmike
02-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on Woods first injury of 2007. Per Bruce Levine, ESPN radio 1000, Kerry Wood will miss the first week of workouts with bruised ribs after falling out of a hot tub...........not a joke.

No, no....really?

itsnotrequired
02-15-2007, 03:14 PM

:o:

ranger_bob
02-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Considering they have been conducting testing for three years now, I think it's pretty assinine to suspect Wood.

The steroid witch hunts are getting ridiculous. And this is just another one.

First of all, I'm fairly certain Wood has been tested and has never tested positive.

Secondly, the Sosa connection is pretty thin. Wood and Sosa never were friends. Wood was one of Grace's disciples and everyone knows there was no love lost between Grace and Sosa.

Trying to connect Wood to steroids simply because he finally decided to lose some extra weight is ludicrous.

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Considering they have been conducting testing for three years now, I think it's pretty assinine to suspect Wood.

The steroid witch hunts are getting ridiculous. And this is just another one.

First of all, I'm fairly certain Wood has been tested and has never tested positive.

Secondly, the Sosa connection is pretty thin. Wood and Sosa never were friends. Wood was one of Grace's disciples and everyone knows there was no love lost between Grace and Sosa.

Trying to connect Wood to steroids simply because he finally decided to lose some extra weight is ludicrous.
He's been losing weight for sometime, I remember in 2000 he reported in about ten pounds lighter than he had in '99

Gregory Pratt
02-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Risk

That's right.

Todd Helton,

Is not a juicer. He's injured his back. And Coors is becoming a hitter's park, with the humidor.
Sorry.

FedEx227
02-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Is not a juicer. He's injured his back. And Coors is becoming a hitter's park, with the humidor.
Sorry.

Well the pitcher's park (which I assume you meant) sure was kind to Garrett Atkins, Matt Holliday and Brad Hawpe among others. Helton is a shell of what he was 2-3 years ago. While I don't know for sure, and hate to be part of a witch-hunt the mans numbers have dropped titanically since testing became larger... I guess that can all be blamed for a bad back, but his numbers have been on the mass decline for 3 years now.