PDA

View Full Version : Gotta pay Soriano, Lilly, and Marquis somehow...

MincHiaPettito
02-14-2007, 04:26 PM
on some doors or panels near the outfield. Nothing says pure like really tight shirts

WizardsofOzzie
02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
on some doors or panels near the outfield. Nothing says pure like really tight shirts
Link?

WhiteSox5187
02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
They squeeze as many ads as they possibly can into that ballpark. They just don't like to admit it.

98navigator
02-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Link?

I heard it on The Score 670am

Mr.1Dog
02-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Will this money go straight to Carlos Zambrano?:tongue:

chisoxmike
02-14-2007, 08:19 PM
A sign of the times is finally sprouting at Wrigley Field: Advertising will appear among the ivy on the outfield walls.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2766025

mshake10
02-14-2007, 09:40 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/2007/02/14/F3JalQzV.jpg

Eh, it's not too bad. Next will probably be the Batter's Eye restaurant.

gobears1987
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I bet the Cubune uses their ticket brokers to pay for Hendry's imitation of a 10 year old in a candy store.

mshake10
02-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I bet the Cubune uses their ticket brokers to pay for Hendry's imitation of a 10 year old in a candy store.
:?:

DrCrawdad
02-14-2007, 10:11 PM
I've had so many Cubbie fans over the years tell me how Wrigley was so much better than the Cell because Wrigley was free of advertisements. Their smug whining about "pristine" Wrigley and how that made the Cubbies better than everyone else.

Now Wrigley has...

* Ads on the dugouts
* Ads on the CF scoreboard
* Ads hanging from the upperdecks
* Rotating ads behind homeplate
* Ads now on the outfield walls

Well Cubbie snobs, what do you have to sneer about now?

mshake10
02-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I've had so many Cubbie fans over the years tell me how Wrigley was so much better than the Cell because Wrigley was free of advertisements. Their smug whining about "pristine" Wrigley and how that made the Cubbies better than everyone else.

Now Wrigley has...

* Ads on the dugouts

A stadium name that wasn't whored out to the highest bidder? :whistle:

gobears1987
02-14-2007, 10:32 PM
What? They'll just give more tickets to their brokers who will then see the tickets at double face value or more. The Cubune has been running that scam for a while now.

mshake10
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
What? They'll just give more tickets to their brokers who will then see the tickets at double face value or more. The Cubune has been running that scam for a while now.
Ah I see. Although the candy store comment was odd. It's like you're saying it's a bad thing.

DrCrawdad
02-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Wrigley is a corporate name and Wrigley Field is a corporate named park.

santo=dorf
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM

Now Wrigley has...

* Ads on the dugouts

You forgot naming their most famous seats after a bad beer made by a company that owns the St. Louis Cardinals.

ewokpelts
02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/2007/02/14/F3JalQzV.jpg

Eh, it's not too bad. Next will probably be the Batter's Eye restaurant. funny since, nike has the tight performance shirt contract with all mlb teams....

i still love the cingular concourse

ewokpelts
02-14-2007, 11:32 PM
You forgot naming their most famous seats after a bad beer made by a company that owns the St. Louis Cardinals.the cards are NOT owned by the Busch family.

chisoxmike
02-14-2007, 11:34 PM

Ah I see. Although the candy store comment was odd. It's like you're saying it's a bad thing.

I just have a feeling reading your posts not just in this thread but others you post in...is that your a Cubs fan......

WhiteSox5187
02-14-2007, 11:58 PM

Now Wrigley has...

* Ads on the dugouts

It's fascinating that people mention that because ads and baseball go hand in hand. When ever people speak of ballparks of old Ebbets Field always comes up, but what was Ebbets Field's outfield walls covered in??? ADS! What was the big green monster orginally?!?! A giant billboard!!

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 02:59 AM
the cards are NOT owned by the Busch family.

Not anymore, but they were the owners for a while.

Iwritecode
02-15-2007, 03:29 AM

I'm sure the gum company loves all the free advertising they Cubs give them. The Sox (and just about every other stadium in baseball) were at least smart enough to make the company give them money for the right to name the stadium...

Steelrod
02-15-2007, 03:46 AM
ACTUALLY, it was the originator of the concept!

MincHiaPettito
02-15-2007, 03:52 AM
looks a tad out of place to me!
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/story/2007-02/27920749.jpg

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm sure the gum company loves all the free advertising they Cubs give them. The Sox (and just about every other stadium in baseball) were at least smart enough to make the company give them money for the right to name the stadium...

Ads all over a pile of dog**** do not change the fact that it is still dog****.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Here's the ST story today....

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/258313,CST-SPT-cubnt15.article

Like Piniella's comment that he'll give Balsa "ample" time to get into shape, after coming off injury...

Well, short of his throwing arm, which should have been rehabbed DURING his injury stint, with all that money shouldn't he have found time to ride an exercise bike in between towel throws?

WizardsofOzzie
02-15-2007, 07:06 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again....YOU ARE A :dtroll: :dtroll:
It's funny that everytime i call you out on it you seem to disappear

WizardsofOzzie
02-15-2007, 07:09 AM
I just have a feeling reading your posts not just in this thread but others you post in...is that your a Cubs fan......
Agreed whole heartedly. Mshake10 definately has the midset of a Cubs troll

minutia
02-15-2007, 07:41 AM

Now Wrigley has...

* Ads on the dugouts

Don't forget the Walter E. Smithe ads on the seats behind the dugout.

DrCrawdad
02-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Here's the ST story today....

Like Piniella's comment that he'll give Balsa "ample" time to get into shape, after coming off injury...

Well, short of his throwing arm, which should have been rehabbed DURING his injury stint, with all that money shouldn't he have found time to ride an exercise bike in between towel throws?

I love the headline in the Sun-Times...

Cubs can't resist itch to stick underwear logo in outfield

Steelrod
02-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Cary Wood question.
Does overpowering speed, multiple injuries, and 30 pound weight loss sound familiar?

DrCrawdad
02-15-2007, 08:30 AM
They've been introducing these ads and changes to Wrigley every year or so. Has any reporter ever asked the Cubune if there is a plan to introduce ads, etc. into Wrigley? (Is there a five or ten year plan to slowly add ad further ad streams?) If there is, what are the plans for the future? What will the end result be? Am I to believe that a HUGE corporation like the Cubune are making these decisions one at a time?

Risk
02-15-2007, 08:31 AM

I'm going to third that notion. Somebody apparently forgot the name of his beloved "shrine," but I'm sure a nasty little fact like who whored the name of their stadium out first to a corporation will never get in the way of the Cubbie mystique.

Have another class of Cubbie Cool Aid, Sheep.:dtroll:

Risk

WizardsofOzzie
02-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm going to third that notion. Somebody apparently forgot the name of his beloved "shrine," but I'm sure a nasty little fact like who whored the name of their stadium out first to a corporation will never get in the way of the Cubbie mystique.

Have another Glass of Cubbie Cool Aid, Sheep.:dtroll:

Risk

Fixed it for you :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
02-15-2007, 09:31 AM

You're not alone in that feeling, Mike. Mshake is a blatant Flubs apologist who insists on taking a huge dump in every third WTS thread, yet doing a good job at not appearing *too* obvious. I realize armchair moderating is verboten on this site, but if it were up to me....HEGAWN.

WizardsofOzzie
02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
You're not alone in that feeling, Mike. Mshake is a blatant Flubs apologist who insists on taking a huge dump in every third WTS thread, yet doing a good job at not appearing *too* obvious. I realize armchair moderating is verboten on this site, but if it were up to me....HEGAWN.
Agreed again. I don't think It's armchair moderating more so as bringing it to the attention of the mods and letting them do what they feel should be done.

Hitmen77
02-15-2007, 09:57 AM
...and I only see mshake10 post when it's time to defend the Cubs. I have yet to see any insight from him/her regarding the White Sox.

Hitmen77
02-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Anyone who wants to see a classic example of how much of a pro-Cubs bias the Tribune has versus a newspaper that doesn't own the Cubs should look at the coverage of this story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070214sullyim,1,4575118.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

ads will be surrounded by the ivy that Bill Veeck helped plant 70 years ago to beautify a ballpark that eventually turned into a baseball mecca. ...."Yes, it's a Normal Rockwell painting everyday," Blunk said. "But that Norman Rockwell painting takes millions of dollars each year to maintain and keep at the standards we like to keep."....."It's a beautiful place and it draws people, but then again, it does limit your revenue streams and is quite expensive to maintain. This is a way we can counter-balance that, and help us attain these blue-chip free agents such as Alfonso Soriano"....

Cubs can't resist itch to stick underwear logo in outfield ....First came the lights, and now ads amid the ivy? What's next, $8 beers and $100 million ballplayers?....Jay Blunk said in a statement released by the team. ''The Cubs are committed to finding alternative and creative revenue streams to build the championship team our fans richly deserve.''

Does that mean they can afford a No. 2 starter?

Wow! Quite a different spin by Sully & Co., eh?

esbrechtel
02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I cannot wait until they put a video board in that stadium....

itsnotrequired
02-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I cannot wait until they put a video board in that stadium....

They already have one.

esbrechtel
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
They already have one.
not one that they can show replays on...that little LCD strip doesnt count...Im talking an HD screen right in left field...

itsnotrequired
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
not one that they can show replays on...that little LCD strip doesnt count...Im talking an HD screen right in left field...

Those lawnmower races look hi-def to me!

:redneck

Mr.1Dog
02-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Those lawnmower races look hi-def to me!

:redneck
:kneeslap: It is a matter of time before they put a real screen in there. Maybe after spending the 300 million and the Cubs flag constantly on the bottom, they will remove that historic tradition and place the newest and greatest tradition the Bank of America Replay Board.

itsjustinf
02-15-2007, 01:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2766025

From the comments on this article:

This is terrible news. Just another step in the wrong direction for Wrigley Field. Please, PRESERVE Wrigley, that's it. Tribune makes enough off of the Cubs, they don't have to desecrate the Sistine Chapel of baseball.I've never seen the Sistine Chapel, personally. Can someone here tell me when it started to smell like piss?

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM

I've never seen the Sistine Chapel, personally. Can someone here tell me when it started to smell like piss?

The sistine chapel is an amazing place to visit and if Wrigley is considered the sistine chapel of baseball stadiums then, something is wrong in society. That's just a straight up insult to Michael Angelo comparing a toilet bowl like wrigley to one of the best art works in the world.

itsjustinf
02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
The sistine chapel is an amazing place to visit and if Wrigley is considered the sistine chapel of baseball stadiums then, something is wrong in society. That's just a straight up insult to Michael Angelo comparing a toilet bowl like wrigley to one of the best art works in the world.

Agreed

Luke
02-15-2007, 03:13 PM
How can people get so upset about painting a door!? They're going on a century without a series, and they're worried about ads in the outfield?

They've dealt with a garbage product on the field, a park that has started to fall apart, and self-proclaimed curse, but this is too much?

Perspective people.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Did the Cubs sign him to a minor league deal?

Is he going to paint the dome on the Shrine once its built?

chisoxmike
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't get why Cubs fans and Cubs apologists like Mshake are mad about this, bars have many ads in them.:tongue:

WizardsofOzzie
02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
How can people get so upset about painting a door!? They're going on a century without a series, and they're worried about ads in the outfield?

They've dealt with a garbage product on the field, a park that has started to fall apart, and self-proclaimed curse, but this is too much?

Perspective people.
Because all they have left is their park. If they tore down Wrigley tomorrow and built something new for this season, the Cubbie fans would be left with nothing to brag about (not that Wrigley field is really something to brag about anyways)

ComiskeyBrewer
02-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Because all they have left is their park. If they tore down Wrigley tomorrow and built something new for this season, the Cubbie fans would be left with nothing to brag about (not that Wrigley field is really something to brag about anyways)

Not to mention the media/TV announcers would have nothing to talk about when thier teams come into new Culver's Field.

RadioheadRocks
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Hmmmm, could Mshake 10 and Master Shake from the Northside Baseball boards (with the signature, "I'd rather watch the Cubs lose than the Sox win") be one and the same?????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/lpmember/shake.jpg

itsnotrequired
02-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Hmmmm, could Mshake 10 and Master Shake from the Northside Baseball boards (with the signature, "I'd rather watch the Cubs lose than the Sox win") be one and the same?????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/lpmember/shake.jpg

http://tn2.deviantart.com/300W/large/indyart/indymisc/oglethorpe_and_emory.jpg

"We are looking for Mister Shake!"

RadioheadRocks
02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with perusing other boards, but TROLLING on them is another story entirely.

DumpJerry
02-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Just two weeks ago the Cub STH in my office was giving me a hard time for all the ads in Comiskey. Now he admits he can't say anything any more now that he sits in the land of beer and underwear.

RadioheadRocks
02-17-2007, 02:23 AM
looks a tad out of place to me!
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/story/2007-02/27920749.jpg

"OK Cub fans, show us your Under Armour!!!" :D:

bigfoot
02-17-2007, 07:54 AM

I've never seen the Sistine Chapel, personally. Can someone here tell me when it started to smell like piss?

That was merely a "typo", the writer actually meant to refer to the Cistern Chapel of Baseball,not the one with the wonderful frescos by Michaelango(no relation to the former 2nd baseman of the Albuquerque Isotopes).

MarySwiss
02-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I heard Mike and Mike the other day and one of the Mikes (you can see how often I listen to them!) was going on and on about how the Urinal is the best place to watch a game. Apparently, he has a poor sense of smell.

I really don't care what they do with that dump, but I am not thrilled about the new sponsorship because I have tons of Under Armour--which is NOT just underwear, BTW; they also make sporting apparel--and I loved wearing it to work out. Note the use of past tense in that last bit.

The Critic
02-17-2007, 09:58 AM
they also make sporting apparel--and I loved wearing it to work out. Note the use of past tense in that last bit.

This, to me, is silly. If you love the product, why abandon it just because they decided to advertise on the outfield doors at Wrigley? I don't understand that rationale.

TommyJohn
02-17-2007, 10:25 AM
It's fascinating that people mention that because ads and baseball go hand in hand. When ever people speak of ballparks of old Ebbets Field always comes up, but what was Ebbets Field's outfield walls covered in??? ADS! What was the big green monster orginally?!?! A giant billboard!!

I know. No baseball "purist" who drools over the old parks ever mentions that
many of them had ads on the outfield walls.

MarySwiss
02-17-2007, 11:08 AM
This, to me, is silly. If you love the product, why abandon it just because they decided to advertise on the outfield doors at Wrigley? I don't understand that rationale.

:rolleyes:

And I guess this proves yet again that sarcasm, however obvious we may think it is, is never obvious enough. Consider my comment retroactively tealed.

tick53
02-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Wrigley is a corporate name and Wrigley Field is a corporate named park.

I've been saying that before US Cellular bought the naming rights. I used to ask people, "What ballpark had the first corporate name on it? Answer:
Wrigley Field. So there!

tick53
02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Advertising at ballparks has been around for 100 years. Look at old film clips and footage.

MisterB
02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry, but the 'corporate naming' of the Urinal is overblown. William Wrigley founded the gum company and was owner of the Cubs and the park, and as owner he followed a common practice of the time and renamed the park after himself. Same thing as Comiskey Park, Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium, Navin Field/Briggs Stadium (Tigers), Crosley Field, Ebbets Field, Griffith Stadium, etc.