PDA

View Full Version : Cubs trade Ryu to TB; Carvajal DFA

Optipessimism
02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Link: (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070213&content_id=1801092&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Not a big move, but TB continues to add depth at the bottom of their rotation. More interesting IMO is that Marcos Carvajal was DFA'd. If he's not worth much he might be something to look at.

chaerulez
02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Ryu was terrible in the majors last year, but in the state that the Cubs are in, can they afford to trade away pitching that is almost major league ready?

Optipessimism
02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Ryu was terrible in the majors last year, but in the state that the Cubs are in, can they afford to trade away pitching that is almost major league ready?

They still have Guzman, Marmol, and Marshall among others. And it's funny that Marquis is going to block them.

StillMissOzzie
02-14-2007, 12:45 AM
OMG, all that pitching depth the Cubune was touting just a few days ago? Now what happens when the starters start breaking down?

SMO
:?:

IndianWhiteSox
02-14-2007, 10:10 AM
OMG, all that pitching depth the Cubune was touting just a few days ago? Now what happens when the starters start breaking down?

SMO
:?:

Same thing as usual, extending the drought to a century.

mshake10
02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Staying on topic for a change, Ryu was probably out of options, plus I think they had 41 on the roster.

SOXPHILE
02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Let any and all Tampa area protected bird species be put on noctice......

ondafarm
02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Let any and all Tampa area protected bird species be put on noctice......

The D-Rays do play in a dome.

SOXPHILE
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
The D-Rays do play in a dome.

But they are outside for spring training, so our fine feathered friends may still want to be on the lookout, just in case Mr. Ryu decides to have a little more "fun" at their expense.

Optipessimism
02-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Anyway, the Cubs suck and we all know it, but I mainly posted this thread because Carvajal would be another interesting project for KW to add if he's not too expensive. I couldn't find much on him, but I found this link (http://badaltitude.baseballtoaster.com/archives/300257.html) here...

Carvajal can do what Dan O'Dowd wants out of his pitchers these days: change speeds. His fastball pushes 100 and his slurve is nearly 20 MPH slower. If he can keep throwing both pitches for strikes, he'll be a major contributor down the line.

...and this one (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_27_229/ai_n14713607), too.

SCOUTING REPORT: Look for more of RHP Marcos Carvajal, 20, a Rule 5 draft pick. Carvajal's best pitch going into the season was his changeup, but he has improved his fastball and slider by working on getting extension coming out of his delivery. The team has been using him in long relief but sees him as a possible starter in the future. He could get a spot start before the season is over.--Thomas Harding

He seems like a nice project and if he's not too much I'd like to see KW pick him up and add him to the collection.