PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grace replaces Steve Lyons on FOX games

Fenway
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Lots of changes with FOX this year

Analyst Tim McCarver and play-by-play announcer Joe Buck remain Fox's lead on-air team. But No. 2 analyst Steve Lyons is gone after making what were deemed ethnically insensitive on-air comments last season. Fox hired local fill-ins for many regionalized games last season but now adds three new analysts who'll work games and studio pregame shows. The newcomers:
•Mark Grace, the ex-Chicago Cub who calls Arizona Diamondbacks' TV games.
•Joe Girardi, fired by the Florida Marlins after being last year's National League manager of the year.
•Eric Karros, migrating from ESPN.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-02-11-hiestand-weekend_x.htm

MarySwiss
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
On a related (sort of) note---

From today's Arizona Republic:

Grace signed a three-year contract extension with a team option for 2010 on Monday to remain the club's primary television analyst.

Gracie (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0207grace-CR.html)

Fenway
02-13-2007, 02:27 PM
On a related (sort of) note---

From today's Arizona Republic:

Grace signed a three-year contract extension with a team option for 2010 on Monday to remain the club's primary television analyst.

Gracie (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0207grace-CR.html)

Mary - is he any good?

WhiteSox5187
02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Mark Grace, Greg Maddux and Andre Dawson are the only three Cubs players that I loved. I loved watching them play, they played the game the right way and Mark Grace is an all around nice guy.

Chicken Dinner
02-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Mary - is he any good?

Anybody's better than Thom.

davenicholson
02-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Mark Grace, Greg Maddux and Andre Dawson are the only three Cubs players that I loved. I loved watching them play, they played the game the right way and Mark Grace is an all around nice guy.
That is the way I feel about Ernie Banks.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Analyst Tim McCarver and play-by-play announcer Joe Buck remain Fox's lead on-air team.

Easily the most disappointing part of the article.

MarySwiss
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Mary - is he any good?
I actually like him, Fens; ex-cub or not. He's not very polished, which I consider a big plus. He comes across as an ex-ballplayer and tells some funny stories. Have you ever heard the one about Maddux? If you have, you'll know what I'm talking 'bout. It was a scream!

WhiteSox5187
02-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Easily the most disappointing part of the article.
I think Joe Buck is a great play-by-play guy, I think Tim McCarver is awful. There was a great line him here "a tired man who's tired brain can't keep up with his mouth."

Oblong
02-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I actually like him, Fens; ex-cub or not. He's not very polished, which I consider a big plus. He comes across as an ex-ballplayer and tells some funny stories. Have you ever heard the one about Maddux? If you have, you'll know what I'm talking 'bout. It was a scream!

"Man, you love to pitch"

ewokpelts
02-14-2007, 06:18 AM
The thing i hate about buck, aside from his smug demeanor, is that he HAS to find SOMETHING controversial in almost ALL his broadcasts(at least baseball)

and then he keeps talking about it FOREVER!

Rockin Robin
02-14-2007, 07:16 AM
http://www.adweek.com/aw/images/best_spots/best_spots_03/1013_bs04.gif

"Leon is very happy that Fox decided to keep Joe Buck on the air."

MarySwiss
02-14-2007, 08:51 AM
"Man, you love to pitch"

Yep, that's the one. Still cracks me up.

AZChiSoxFan
02-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Anybody's better than Thom.

I like Thom a lot and was sad to see him leave. However, I understand that Thom, much like Hawk, is a lightning rod. Fans either love him or hate him. Not much middle ground.

AZChiSoxFan
02-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I actually like him, Fens; ex-cub or not. He's not very polished, which I consider a big plus. He comes across as an ex-ballplayer and tells some funny stories.

I agree. He spends a lot of time cracking jokes and telling stories but my guess is he will do a lot less of that when he's on national broadcasts.

Chicken Dinner
02-14-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree. He spends a lot of time cracking jokes and telling stories but my guess is he will do a lot less of that when he's on national broadcasts.

Like "slumpbusters"?

AuroraSoxFan
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Grace should do pretty well as a broadcaster. He seems like a realist and doesn't seem like he'd have any major biases.

rdwj
02-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Too bad, I always liked Steve Lyons. I wanted him to get our open radio gig last year.

mshake10
02-14-2007, 12:39 PM
I like Thom a lot and was sad to see him leave. However, I understand that Thom, much like Hawk, is a lightning rod. Fans either love him or hate him. Not much middle ground.
At least with Grace now on FOX, you just might get one or two reunion games with Thom and Grace calling a DBacks game.

Foulke You
02-14-2007, 02:33 PM
The crosstown series on Fox is going to be interesting to say the least with so many Cub sympathizers on one station. Josh Lewin, Mark Grace, Eric Karros, and Joe Girardi? Yuck. Sure to be lots of Cub and NL love in those names.:mad:

WhiteSox5187
02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
The crosstown series on Fox is going to be interesting to say the least with so many Cub sympathizers on one station. Josh Lewin, Mark Grace, Eric Karros, and Joe Girardi? Yuck. Sure to be lots of Cub and NL love in those names.:mad:
Mark Grace left the Cubs on very bitter terms and I don't think he'll be sympathizing with the Cubs. Eric Karros is going to be rememberd as a Dodger first and foremost.

Foulke You
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Eric Karros is going to be rememberd as a Dodger first and foremost.
True, but I heard an interview with him on The Score where he professed his love for the Cubs and Cub fans using the tried and true "storied franchise", "loyal fans", etc. etc. It was every cliche Cub praising interview you've heard before. I'm quite sure he'll be slanting towards the Cubs in the crosstown series. The Cubs are a team he won a division title with while the Sox are a team he has no ties to and a league he barely played in.

WhiteSox5187
02-14-2007, 04:58 PM
True, but I heard an interview with him on The Score where he professed his love for the Cubs and Cub fans using the tried and true "storied franchise", "loyal fans", etc. etc. It was every cliche Cub praising interview you've heard before. I'm quite sure he'll be slanting towards the Cubs in the crosstown series. The Cubs are a team he won a division title with while the Sox are a team he has no ties to and a league he barely played in.
Well were you expecting him to say "Yea, the Cubs suck and I hate their fans"?

ewokpelts
02-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Mark Grace left the Cubs on very bitter terms and I don't think he'll be sympathizing with the Cubs. Eric Karros is going to be rememberd as a Dodger first and foremost.gracie kissed and made up with the cubs...it also helps that the new president is a buddy of his(gracie no likey andy mcphail)

AZChiSoxFan
02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Mark Grace left the Cubs on very bitter terms and I don't think he'll be sympathizing with the Cubs.

Totally agree. From watching Grace do D-back games here in AZ, I got the definite feeling that he pretty much hates the cubs organization. I've heard him take shots at the cubs on more than one occasion. Thom Brennaman did the same.

ode to veeck
02-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Gracie's a good announcer, but Buck totally sucks and McCarver should have retired a decade ago (let's call him the Pat Summerall of baseball)

ode to veeck
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Fox also picked up Joe Girardi, who was stupidly fired by the Marlins brass after he lead them to the playoffs with 22 rookies and was NL Manager of the Year.

Murphy10
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I always hate when games are brodcasted outside of Hawk and Dj. But I dont mind Mark Grace at all

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Fox also picked up Joe Girardi, who was stupidly fired by the Marlins brass after he lead them to the playoffs with 22 rookies and was NL Manager of the Year.

They almost made the playoffs, a certain team named the Dodgers won the NL Wildcard.

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Gracie's a good announcer, but Buck totally sucks and McCarver should have retired a decade ago (let's call him the Pat Summerall of baseball)

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5818986

"By running to the bag the pitcher got there much faster."

soxinem1
02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Lyons is a jerk. He used to be a friend of mine (long story) but his anti-fan, totally biased pro-player and know-it-all attitude is a total joke. He makes himself sound like he was some sort of legend. His only career highlights were being traded for Tom Seaver, pulling his pants down during a game, and making the last put-out at Comiskey Park.

Grace was always a laid back guy, actually said on TV he was rooting for the White Sox in 1990 and 1993, and even said he would like to play for the White Sox at one time.

So I welcome his addition, as removing Psycho was an addition by subtraction anyway.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5818986

"By running to the bag the pitcher got there much faster."

Joe, go lie down now. Please.

downstairs
02-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Too bad, I always liked Steve Lyons. I wanted him to get our open radio gig last year.

Yeah, but he's far too crazy for national. You *knew* something was going to happen.

He's the type of guy who will probably succeed at the local level, that's about it. You can get away with alot more there, especially once you're known.

No one in Chicago (or any city) would have thought twice about what he said if he said it as the TV or radio color guy.

Thems the breaks...