PDA

View Full Version : M. Rivera, will he end career as Yankee?

caulfield12
02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Think the Red Sox, Indians or Cubs wouldn't like to have him after this year?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/497085p-418970c.html

JermaineDye05
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm sure the cubs would but with all the money they've spent and will be spending eventually on Zambrano I don't think they'll have any left

nysox35
02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
He's not going anywhere...

This is a fluff piece to sell papers.

Fenway
02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Think the Red Sox, Indians or Cubs wouldn't like to have him after this year?

I know the Red sox could use him now.......maybe Theo can con Cashman

Mo was the reason they won those 4 championships ( and came so close to a 5th ) He is the MVP of that Yankees dynasty

WhiteSox5187
02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I know the Red sox could use him now.......maybe Theo can con Cashman

Mo was the reason they won those 4 championships ( and came so close to a 5th ) He is the MVP of that Yankees dynasty
The great irony is that he is the reason they lost that fifth one, he couldn't turn the double play...but he is undoubtedly the best closer in all of baseball. You play 8 1/2 innings against the Yankees because if he comes in, you're done. He has earned the right to finish his career where ever he wants and I think he wants to end it with the Yankees...when Konerko hit that homerun off him last year, it was one of the biggest thrills of '06.

Domeshot17
02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
He won't leave. I am sure the money is 2nd important to him now, his loyalty is high.

DumpJerry
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
If he leaves, he'll come to the White Sox. We own him.

If he comes here, I hope he does not mind middle relief.:D:

palehozenychicty
02-13-2007, 09:05 PM
If he leaves, he'll come to the White Sox. We own him.

If he comes here, I hope he does not mind middle relief.:D:

We have gotten to him several times over the years. The last two seasons were game-changing moments as well.

Paulwny
02-14-2007, 10:30 AM
If Rivera isn't offered a deal during the season, all he has to do is tell Cashman that at the end of the season the first people he will talk to are located in Fenway Park.
Cashman will hand him a blank check. Rivera isn't leaving NY.

IndianWhiteSox
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if he left, but I don't think that he will play anywhere else but NY. The Yankees need him now more than ever, this isn't a Bernie Williams situation where they have no use for him.

mshake10
02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
They don't seem to have anyone good to close in place. I'm not sure about the farm system though.

If he's still posting a sub-3 ERA, give him what he wants.

caulfield12
02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
They don't seem to have anyone good to close in place. I'm not sure about the farm system though.

I think Bruney would do better than Farnsworth, and they got him off waivers (I think) from the D-Backs, similar to our situation with Jenks.

Maybe Proctor, but no way with Country Boy Kyle.

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 03:13 AM

I think Bruney would do better than Farnsworth, and they got him off waivers (I think) from the D-Backs, similar to our situation with Jenks.

Maybe Proctor, but no way with Country Boy Kyle.

Although they did this same thing with John Wetteland about 10 years ago putting well you know who in the closers spot.

Murphy10
02-15-2007, 07:27 AM
I think of it as there being no way that Rivera would ever leave the Yankees.. But i've been wrong before. I just can't see him throwing that cutter in any different uniform than the Yankees uniform. And I know that would also destroy me to see him in that Cubby Blue. Also I don't think he could ever pull a Damon and go make the switch between the two teams. I know he would be cheered at Yankee stadium when he would come back, for helping the Yankees win those World Series, but I just can see him going to Boston.

Paulwny
02-15-2007, 01:26 PM
From the Buffalo News:

2/15/2007 http://www.buffalonews.com/images/space.gifhttp://www.buffalonews.com/images/space.gifIf the Yankees don't sign Mariano Rivera to an extension by the end of spring training, their longtime closer vowed to give every team an equal shot to sign him.
"The Yankees will not have an advantage," he said. Rivera reiterated his strong desire to remain a Yankee but made it clear the Yankees should not take his words lightly. When asked if he could picture himself in another uniform, he said, "I don't, but if I have to, I have to do it."