PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner Reaches Agreement to Sell Braves

Domeshot17
02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Time Warner has reached an agreement to sell to Liberty Media (owns stars, QVC etc.). Saw this on ESPN Bottom Line. Also just remembered Liberty Owns Directv.

oeo
02-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Time Warner has reached an agreement to sell to Liberty Media (owns stars, QVC etc.). Saw this on ESPN Bottom Line.

Does this mean the Braves will play on QVC?

Domeshot17
02-13-2007, 12:59 AM
I wonder how much this changes or helps the Directv deal

caulfield12
02-13-2007, 01:08 AM
* Malone to take DirecTV off Murdoch's hands. It has been widely reported that Liberty Media (LINTA (http://seekingalpha.com/by/symbol/linta)) and News Corp. (NWS (http://seekingalpha.com/by/symbol/nws)) have reached a deal to trade Liberty Media's 19% interest in News Corp. for News Corp.'s 38% interest in DirecTV plus some cash and assets. This will effectively cement the Murdoch family's control over News Corp., and put DirecTV under the control of Liberty Media, which also owns QVC, the Discovery Networks and STARZ.
* The trade is really a mixed bag for shareholders. We think that DirecTV would gain significantly more from a close alliance with News Corp. than from anything Liberty Media can offer it, which dampers our long-term competitive outlook for the platform. However, the company is in the midst of a cash flow inflection, and Liberty's less aggressive tendencies are likely to improve the outlook for this metric over the more visible future.
* Liberty makes DirecTV look less dynamic. Liberty will use DirecTV to help its programming. News Corp. would do the same, but News Corp.'s experience with other DBS platforms gives us greater confidence this would be mutually beneficial. Malone will have an incentive to invest in broadband and interactive in so much as it can help QVC and STARZ, but Fox has sports, news and reality programming which could be recast to help DirecTV maintain its position as a differentiated multichannel offering.

ewokpelts
02-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Warner Couldnt find a local buyer? Not even Ted Turner?

DSpivack
02-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Warner Couldnt find a local buyer? Not even Ted Turner?

Turner wasn't interested, he had "been there, done that." Arthur Blank (and a local real estate mogul, Ron Terwilliger) was very interested in buying the team, but for tax purposes, it made more sense for TimeWarner to sell to Liberty Media than anyone else. This sale is not about the Braves at all; TimeWarner is swapping about $1 billion in cash for an equivalent amount of TimeWarner stock that Liberty Media has long held (I believe about 100 million shares, not exactly sure). The inclusion of the Braves, however, makes the cash/stock swap eligible for several tax deductions.

Fans down here are befuddled by who the new owner really is (head of Liberty Media is trying to reach out to Braves fans, but locals wanted a local owner), how much the teams payroll will be next few years, and what the new management will look/act like. The Braves as a nationally televised team was ended last July in the new MLB/TV contract. It is looking very doubtful that Andruw Jones, one of the best CFers to ever play the game, will be here beyond 2008, when his contract runs out. The future for one Larry Wayne Jones also is up in the air. Although the owner of Liberty Media (forget his name) says that the current management will stay; Schuerholz, Cox, and the team president (whose name I don't recall).

caulfield12
02-13-2007, 06:04 AM
Turner wasn't interested, he had "been there, done that." Arthur Blank (and a local real estate mogul, Ron Terwilliger) was very interested in buying the team, but for tax purposes, it made more sense for TimeWarner to sell to Liberty Media than anyone else. This sale is not about the Braves at all; TimeWarner is swapping about $1 billion in cash for an equivalent amount of TimeWarner stock that Liberty Media has long held (I believe about 100 million shares, not exactly sure). The inclusion of the Braves, however, makes the cash/stock swap eligible for several tax deductions.

Fans down here are befuddled by who the new owner really is (head of Liberty Media is trying to reach out to Braves fans, but locals wanted a local owner), how much the teams payroll will be next few years, and what the new management will look/act like. The Braves as a nationally televised team was ended last July in the new MLB/TV contract. It is looking very doubtful that Andruw Jones, one of the best CFers to ever play the game, will be here beyond 2008, when his contract runs out. The future for one Larry Wayne Jones also is up in the air. Although the owner of Liberty Media (forget his name) says that the current management will stay; Schuerholz, Cox, and the team president (whose name I don't recall).

Malone.

Arthur Blank from Home Depot fame, right?

ewokpelts
02-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Who's Larry Wayne Jones?

p.s. one of the sports biz email lists i'm on is reporting 60 million shares coming back to time warner, and that the braves, some magazines, and a billion dollars are going to liberty.

Apparently, liberty is having money problems, and is swapping it stock option in other media giants to drum up cash. Which is why they are also swapping news corp shares for directv shares

warner gets a big shareholder off thier backs and the afformentioned tax break.

PaulDrake
02-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Who's Larry Wayne Jones?

Chipper.

ewokpelts
02-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Chipper.
**** chipper ****ing jones

DSpivack
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Malone.

Arthur Blank from Home Depot fame, right?

Thanks, couldn't remember. Yes, Arthur Blank also owns the Falcons.

skottyj242
02-13-2007, 04:44 PM
So maybe I won't see as much of Chip Carey on TBS anymore. More Seinfeld for me.

ewokpelts
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
So maybe I won't see as much of Chip Carey on TBS anymore. More Seinfeld for me.the braves are OFF tbs super station after this year

Steelrod
02-14-2007, 08:22 AM
450 million! Same as Washington.
I wonder if our Sox are worth more or less than Atlanta?