PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip: Boston

WikdChiSoxFan
02-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Buddy emailed me about getting a group together for Boston July 19th-22nd. I am psyched. However, I know tickets are gonna be expensive and we're looking to get a good mix of looks at the ballpark over the 3 or 4 games we attend.

So my question to the WSI faithful is, where should we try and get seats? Although I'd love to sit atop the Monster for one game, I briefly looked at prices and quickly was thinking maybe Standing Room won't be so bad.

Also, where are the standing room sections? Can you get a decent look at the ball field or is it just a collection of drunk fans?

Perhaps the all-knowing fenway could offer me some words of wisdom?

Oh and of course, are there any pre-game bars that we shouldn't miss?

I know this is early, but we're looking to put together a package fairly soon.

Go Sox! (the good kind)

Beer Can Chicken
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Buddy emailed me about getting a group together for Boston July 19th-22nd. I am psyched. However, I know tickets are gonna be expensive and we're looking to get a good mix of looks at the ballpark over the 3 or 4 games we attend.

So my question to the WSI faithful is, where should we try and get seats? Although I'd love to sit atop the Monster for one game, I briefly looked at prices and quickly was thinking maybe Standing Room won't be so bad.

Also, where are the standing room sections? Can you get a decent look at the ball field or is it just a collection of drunk fans?

Go Sox! (the good kind)

When I went to Fenway, we took tickets where we could get them. We didn't have much of a choice. We ended up in the bleachers and my friend bought the tickets day they went on sale against the Blue Jays. They were pretty good seats and the fans weren't nearly as annoying as the Red Sox fans that populate home Chi-SOX games.
Have you had the disheartening experience of looking at the cost of premium ticket prices yet?

IlliniSox4Life
02-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I road tripped to Boston 2 years ago. Standing room seats are horrible, but they are better than not going at all. Basically standing room is anywhere along the aisle that runs behind all the seats in the infield. The views are pretty bad with support poles in the way.

Also, a word of advice: I have a habit of trying a hot dog at every ball park I go to. Resist the temptation at Fenway. The Fenway Franks are awful.

MUsoxfan
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
You could probably do okay with scalpers. I know you probably hate the idea of going out there without tickets in hand, but there are scalpers by the dozens out there. I sat 6 rows from the RF pole on a Friday night and got them for less than face right before the game started.

Dolanski
02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I used to live in Boston and went to quite a few games at Fenway. Monster seats are great, but really expensive and hard to find. But it is one of the coolest seats in all the land. I have always enjoyed sitting in the centerfield bleachers which are pretty affordable. Its a bit rowdy, but fun.

As far as bars go, my favorite, the Baseball Tavern, has given way to condos, but hitting up the Cask and Flagoon is always a good call. Make sure to grab a sausage from one of the street vendors on Landsdowne street for the authentic experience. Avoid Pizzaria Uno just on principle and any of the clubs and bars on Landsdowne as they are really for the club crowds and not the sports fans, so either overly pretentious or overly cheesy. And I highly recommend getting yourself a Harpoon IPA at the bar.

DO NOT DRIVE to the park. Take the T or a cab because you can't park anywhere in the city let alone at the ballpark. Fenway Franks are really crappy, but you have to try one just on principle. And be prepared to have some sore legs because the seats in the park were made from people from 1915 when being over 5'6 was a big deal.

IlliniSox4Life
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I forgot to mention, if you are planning on actually staying in the city for more than a day or two and want to save some cash, to save on parking, consider parking at the end of one of the T-stops in the suburbs and taking the T into the city to your hotel (you can park for something like $3 a day instead of $20-40). Just leave your car there for the week, maybe going back to check on it once.

Boston isn't all that big, and it's pretty easy and cheap to get around walking and on the T. Not to mention, you actually see a lot more of the city walking.

Fenway
02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Day of game they sell standing room and other seats at Gate B how that works is once you buy the tickets you MUST enter the park

best standing room is on the roof ( or the monster ) they do open up as a rule

3 very good bars near the park but they can get crowded

The Cask is a local legend
http://www.casknflagon.com/about.html

Boston Beer Works is great
http://www.beerworks.net/html/locations_fenway.html

my favorite is the Baseball Tavern
http://www.baseballtavernboston.com/

I will do my best to assist WSI members when they visit Boston ( this really is a great town)

Go Sox! (the good kind)

ewokpelts
02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Day of game they sell standing room and other seats at Gate B how that works is once you buy the tickets you MUST enter the park

that's a really good policy

Fenway
02-12-2007, 11:47 PM

The Red Sox do all they can to defeat scalping and have been pretty good at making sure some seats are available day of game.

The demand for tickets is staggering. The Red Sox are popular to begin with and baseball fans from everywhere want to see a game.

ewokpelts
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
The Red Sox do all they can to defeat scalping and have been pretty good at making sure some seats are available day of game.

The demand for tickets is staggering. The Red Sox are popular to begin with and baseball fans from everywhere want to see a game.well...since they scalp themselves(through redsox.com), i see why they want to stop scalpers

do you think they will go in the patriots' direction and sue stubhub?

Fenway
02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
well...since they scalp themselves(through redsox.com), i see why they want to stop scalpers

do you think they will go in the patriots' direction and sue stubhub?

probably
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/ticket_policies.jsp

Scalping Policy

We reserve the right to revoke, cancel, or rescind any purchase of any tickets for events at Fenway Park for any reason.

It is the policy of the Red Sox to prohibit any unauthorized resale or any offer or any attempt to resell some or all of the tickets purchased in any transaction. This includes but is not limited to auctions, sweepstakes, contests, promotions and any other form of second market resale.

In the event that any tickets are revoked or canceled, The Boston Red Sox agree to fully refund the original purchaser by the same means by which he/she purchased the ticket (credit card, cash or check.)

In the event that there has been any mishandling, abuse, or violation of Red Sox policy with respect to any part of a transaction, the Boston Red Sox will revoke and refund the transaction in its entirety.

ChicagoHoosier
02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
I'll be there, sitting in some awesome seats my buddy is getting from a seasson ticket holder that lives there. PM me (Fenway or anyone else) who is going to the Friday game and we can meet up at one of the bars near the park before the game!

ChicagoHoosier
02-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Also, and sure I had been consuming a lot of :gulp: at the time, but it seemed to stand behind home plate in front of the concessions wasn't the worst place in the world to watch the game. You could hang out and talk, get to the beer line easy, but still see the game.

Not sure if they kick you out of that area if you loiter too long.

Fenway
02-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Also, and sure I had been consuming a lot of :gulp: at the time, but it seemed to stand behind home plate in front of the concessions wasn't the worst place in the world to watch the game. You could hang out and talk, get to the beer line easy, but still see the game.

Not sure if they kick you out of that area if you loiter too long.

nope you can stay there all game

skobabe8
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM

That is a good idea. I wonder how they do that? Do they scan your ticket right when you pay?

SoxFan78
02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Ill be there for the Friday and Saturday game. Got some really good tickets right when they went on sale. Friday seating in the CF bleachers, and Saturday have the first row field loge.

A good bar I went to when I was there a couple of years ago was Who's on First, right on Yawkey Way. Was the only White Sox fan in there though.

Look foward to meeting some of the members of WSI

skobabe8
02-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I had to pick either a Boston trip or New York trip this year and I went with New York. I'll check back this thread hopefully next year!

Fenway
02-14-2007, 10:49 AM
That is a good idea. I wonder how they do that? Do they scan your ticket right when you pay?

you leave the window and are scanned right in....you can not go back on the street

SouthSide_HitMen
02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
you leave the window and are scanned right in....you can not go back on the street

You will need to wait in line for a few - several hours in order to get a chance to purchase those tickets (at least in the summer time). The Cubs also offer day of game sales of SRO and any seats the players / club were holding for people but cancelled. The White Sox method is hit or miss and they do not have a set sales time or location for day of game sales of "sold out" games.

Assuming the new Baseball Tavern is anything like the old one, I also recommend it.

Fenway, does the Red Sox still offer discounts to games in April and or September? They used to discount grandstand tickets in years past for weekday games which made them somewhat reasonable.

Fenway
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Fenway, does the Red Sox still offer discounts to games in April and or September? They used to discount grandstand tickets in years past for weekday games which made them somewhat reasonable.

Not as much as they did as they hit upon a brilliant scheme to move the April and September tickets. They sell those in December for people to buy as Christmas tickets and then put the rest of the season on sale in February.

WikdChiSoxFan
07-16-2007, 10:50 AM
All right, so I've revived this thread for a couple of reasons. Looks like we got some good tips. If anyone wants to add any restaurants or bars near Fenway or throughout Boston, please do.

Also, I guess this should serve as a roll call...

I'm pumped, we're going to Thursday and Saturdays game at least. See if we can scrounge up tickets for one more.

Fenway
07-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Just make sure you don't break any of our laws :tongue:

These "blue laws" still on the books

Kissing in public

Frighten a pigeon from another person's property

Pay to attend or participate in an unlicensed Sunday sporting event

Wear bone lace, gold or silver buttons, or silk scarves or hoods worth more than "200 pounds"

Give beer to hospital patients

"Idleness," especially of "common coasters, unprofitable fowlers, and tobacco takers"

Yell profanities at a participant or official of a sporting event -- unless you're under 16-years-old

Checking into a hotel under an assumed name ( New Hampshire law)

You are also allowed to shoot on sight anybody entering Massachusetts from Rhode Island. :rolleyes:

WikdChiSoxFan
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Yell profanities at a participant or official of a sporting event -- unless you're under 16-years-old

Hmmm... might have a problem with this one

Fenway
07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Hmmm... might have a problem with this one

some more

Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.

Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.

It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath.

At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.

WikdChiSoxFan
07-16-2007, 05:14 PM
So, nobody else gonna be in Boston for the series?

Rockin Robin
07-16-2007, 05:31 PM
I will be, but I live here.

RowanDye
07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Quite a few people already checked in: link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90192)

Pods4455
07-16-2007, 09:33 PM
hey has anyone ever been on the pass list for games not at home? I'll be on the pass list and im wondering if the seats are any good or not lol!