PDA

View Full Version : "Jungle" Jim Rivera quote

Lillian
02-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Can anyone remind me of the exact quote of "Jungle" Jim Rivera, when asked about the risk of his trademark head first slides? It was something to the effect that of course he was mindful of the chance that he could get injured.
However, to paraphrase, "better to get spiked in the head, than in the legs.
Hell, I never was too good at using my head, but I need my legs to run".

All I remember is that it was pretty funny, the way he said it, but I can't remember his exact words. I might be in Dave Condon's book; "The Go Go Chicago White Sox". Perhaps someone has a copy, and could help me get this quote.

I'm sorry to put anyone to any trouble, but you might find it worth the effort, as it should be good for a laugh.

Thanks

PaulDrake
02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Can anyone remind me of the exact quote of "Jungle" Jim Rivera, when asked about the risk of his trademark head first slides? It was something to the effect that of course he was mindful of the chance that he could get injured.
However, to paraphrase, "better to get spiked in the head, than in the legs.
Hell, I never was too good at using my head, but I need my legs to run".

All I remember is that it was pretty funny, the way he said it, but I can't remember his exact words. I might be in Dave Condon's book; "The Go Go Chicago White Sox". Perhaps someone has a copy, and could help me get this quote.

I'm sorry to put anyone to any trouble, but you might find it worth the effort, as it should be good for a laugh.

Thanks I remember reading the quote you mention, but haven't been able to locate it. I did find these vintage Riveraisms though.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/R/Rivera_Jim.stm

Lillian
02-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks, "Paul Drake", I did see those quotes, but I can't find the one I'm looking for.