PDA

View Full Version : Toby Hall

StatManDu
02-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Is Toby Hall the typical backup catcher? I can see him getting more playing time than the typical reserve backstop. I love the guy and think he is a great player but AJ Pierzynski lagged defensively a year ago and may be starting to show some wear and tear from his extended action behind the plate over the last few years.

On paper, this is the best catching tandem the Sox have had since ... LaValliere and Karkovice?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hall got 250-300 at bats. I wouldn't blame Ozzie if he used Hall as a late-inning defensive replacement.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

www.whitesoxalmanac.com (http://www.whitesoxalmanac.com)

oeo
02-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Is Toby Hall the typical backup catcher? I can see him getting more playing time than the typical reserve backstop. I love the guy and think he is a great player but AJ Pierzynski lagged defensively a year ago and may be starting to show some wear and tear from his extended action behind the plate over the last few years.

On paper, this is the best catching tandem the Sox have had since ... LaValliere and Karkovice?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hall got 250-300 at bats. I wouldn't blame Ozzie if he used Hall as a late-inning defensive replacement.

AJ has always been known more for his bat than his defense. He's never been a really good defensive catcher, and never will be.

Cuck_The_Fubs
02-12-2007, 10:12 AM

I can't wait to see Hall next season. Great pickup by KW, and ya, good for late inning defensive replacement.

I want Mags back
02-12-2007, 11:30 AM

sounds like a pretty good plan

StatManDu
02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I am wondering, though, how AJ, a player with a tremendous amount of pride, would take to be lifted for a late-inning defensive replacement?

crazyozzie02
02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I am wondering, though, how AJ, a player with a tremendous amount of pride, would take to be lifted for a late-inning defensive replacement?

Personally i dont think he'll mind. In fact i think that he might appreicate the help, espically if we are blowing the other team out

Whitesox029
02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Personally i dont think he'll mind. In fact i think that he might appreicate the help, espically if we are blowing the other team out
If we are leading or down by a lot of runs, I'd say it's not a bad idea, but if we are down a run or two, I'd really like to see AJ batting in the 8th and 9th innings, since he's clutch.

Dan Mega
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Despite what the Chicago media tries to portray, AJ is very much a team first guy.

ondafarm
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM

As a player, if you give way to a guy, you cheer the guy on, no matter what your private feelings.

As a catcher, you are always thinking of sparing your knees the extra pain of a few more innings or even just one more inning.

FedEx227
02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Despite what the Chicago media tries to portray, AJ is very much a team first guy.

NAH-UH!! Don't you read the papers or watch ESPN... he pisses off all of his teammates (well actually only Brett Tomko has ever said anything negative... but...yeeah)

havelj
02-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Scott Reifert's blog has a nice reference to an analysis by John Dewan of ACTA Sports on how the Sox were the worst team in MLB for OPS for catchers vs. LHP.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2007/01/wednesday_janau.html