PDA

View Full Version : Happy 90th Birthday Dominic DiMaggio

Fenway
02-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Not as famous as his brother but a very good player in his own right.

:happybday

On eve of 90th birthday, DiMaggio still on his game (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/02/11/on_eve_of_90th_birthday_dimaggio_still_on_his_game/?page=full)

There were nine kids in the home of the Sicilian immigrants at 2047 Taylor St. in the North Beach section of San Francisco. Dad Giuseppe was a fisherman, mom Rosalie a former schoolteacher, and three of the five boys would become major league baseball players -- one of them rising to the level of American icon, celebrated in literature by Ernest Hemingway and in song by Paul Simon. All four of the girls married and raised families. All five boys had the same middle name: Paul.

And now all of them are gone . . . except for baby Dominic DiMaggio, who turns 90 tomorrow.

"People call me every once in a while about Joe," he acknowledged. "Most of it is positive. If I happen to be the brother of somebody, I couldn't think of a person I would like to be the brother of other than Joe. He was the best ballplayer. Just plain natural ability. We used to have to go down to the North Beach playground and drag him off the tennis court to play baseball."

Southsider101
02-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Happy Birthday Dom!

David Halberstam's The Teammates: A Portrait of Frindship is one of the best baseball books in recent years. Worth the read even if you aren't a Red Sox fan.