PDA

View Full Version : Story of MLB trip to West Africa/Slave Castles

caulfield12
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-070210ghanaside,1,622217.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Interesting read...includes multiple quotes from Dave Winfield, Omar Minaya and Dusty Baker.

Having just returned from a trip to Europe where I saw Auschwitz and Birkenau first-hand, I identified with the article in many ways, with the experiences that they had and the newfound appreciation they gained for their current lives.

IndianWhiteSox
02-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Its good that these people that went on this trip to Africa have some perspective on life. I remember going to my Dad's old village in India and I just thought, damn I'm glad I didn't have to grow up here. I know it had very little to do with the African trip, but I was just trying to relate this in the way of gaining perspective of life from this experience.

harwar
02-11-2007, 07:08 AM
I was at one of these places in the early 80's as i spent more time in west africa then i did back here.It was a cave/fort type of structure carved out of the rock.
I went out of curiousity(mostly english descent) and my buddy(an african-american)was all excited by the prospect of touching African soil and getting back to his roots.
Our high spirits changed when we got there.It felt like being in a waking nightmare.My buddy left the ship for days after that and got terribly ill and finally left the ship for good some weeks later.
I was never the same after that and i missed my friend and shipmate everyday,who was driven mad by visiting such a place.
That place still haunts my dreams..

caulfield12
02-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Its good that these people that went on this trip to Africa have some perspective on life. I remember going to my Dad's old village in India and I just thought, damn I'm glad I didn't have to grow up here. I know it had very little to do with the African trip, but I was just trying to relate this in the way of gaining perspective of life from this experience.

I have two books to recommend for you then, one called "The Space Between Us" that just came out and another called "The Namesake."