PDA

View Full Version : Saw Rauch Today

kermittheefrog
03-15-2002, 02:03 AM
Went to the game today. I don't think on vacation I can wake up early enough to make minor league camp games but I still get to see a fair amount of prospects this way. Maybe some other time I'll make the early morning stuff. Garland looked good for an inning then he looked horrible for a few innings and in his last inning he looked great again. What I thought was nice is he was using the sinker and if I was a Sox outfielder I would have gone to sleep. There were only a couple fly ball outs over Garland's innings.

Jon Rauch. Wow, I saw part of a Godzilla movie last night and Rauch is about the same size as the mutant that terrorized Japan. He doesn't look amazingly tall the way Randy Johnson and Ryan Anderson do because he's about 3 times as thick as those guys but between the height and the build he's scary. My eyes and ears told me he was throwing harder than Garland but unfortunately I don't have radar readings to back that up. I was impressed with Rauch, he threw his curve for strikes and changed speeds but had trouble spotting the fastball. He seems like a competitor too, he was pissed after walking Trenidad Hubbard with the sacs loaded. He stormed into the dugout and threw his glove around a bit. Poor glove. The funniest part of the game was watching little Jake Peavy try to lay down a bunt against Rauch. You could tell Peavy was scared out of his wits and was more worried about remaining consious than laying down a good bunt. Eventually he got it down and was safe thanks to some shaky fielding by Rauch.

Speaking of Peavy, lord that guy is nasty. He tore the Sox lineup apart. He has a low arm angle that's deceptive to righties and didn't seem to hurt him against Liefer our only lefty worth mentioning to face Peavy. Peavy looked like Tiny Tim compared to Rauch but still outpitched him.

The other pitchers after Rauch and Peavy were much less impressive. The Pads sent out a sidearming lefty that was serving up fat pitches on silver platters and the Sox sent out Matt Ginter who sucked. Weird thing: I went to spring two years ago. The first game I saw was a Sox/Pads game at the Pads facility than Jon Garland started and Matt Ginter made an appearance in. Just like todays game except in the game two years ago Garland went 4+ without giving up a hit and Ginter made me believe he was one of the Sox best arms.

Vsahajpal
03-15-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Went to the game today. I don't think on vacation I can wake up early enough to make minor league camp games but I still get to see a fair amount of prospects this way. Maybe some other time I'll make the early morning stuff.

too early? sack up!

I have to get up at 7 AM and trek to Fitch Park in Mesa to watch the minor leaguers, of course, I'm just shy of certifiably insane...

foulkesfan11
03-15-2002, 08:59 AM
Last year I heard that Rausch was supposed to be the star of the future. I haven't heard many good things since he was hurt though. We need him to stay healthy!

Iwritecode
03-15-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
Last year I heard that Rausch was supposed to be the star of the future. I haven't heard many good things since he was hurt though. We need him to stay healthy!

You haven't been reading the Sox articles enough then... :D:

Manuel is very impressed with what Rauch has shown him so far and he is still in the mix to be the fifth starter if Parque isn't 100% by April fool's day.

Cheryl
03-15-2002, 11:36 PM
No way Parque is 100% by 4/1. Nothing against Butter, he'll come around and until then will be a terror coming out of the bullpen. But I am looking forward to seeing Rauch as the home opener starter.