PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the top OF combos in MLB

maurice
02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Phil Rogers takes a crack at it for ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2758754).

He makes a good point that "super outfields" are less common than they once were. OTOH, his ranking are baffling:
1. Angels (Anderson - Matthews - Guerrero)
2. Tigers (Monroe - Granderson - Ordonez)
3. Braves (platoon - Jones - Francoeur)
4. Mets (Alou - Beltran - Green)
5. Yankees (Matsui - Damon - Abreu)
6. Red Sox (Ramirez - Crisp - Drew)
7. Cubs (Soriano - nobody - Jones)
8. DRays (Crawford - Baldelli - Young)

I don't get it. I hate the Yankees as much as the next guy, but does anybody else really think that the Angels, Tigers, Braves, and Mets all have a better OF than Matsui - Damon - Abreu?!?

The Angels potentially are very strong in the OF, especially if Matthews can repeat . . . but Detroit as #2?!? The Braves potentially have a hole in LF and the Mets have 2 guys collecting Social Security on either side of their outstanding CF . . . yet they're all better than the Yankees?

caulfield12
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Phil Rogers takes a crack at it for ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2758754).

He makes a good point that "super outfields" are less common than they once were. OTOH, his ranking are baffling:

I don't get it. I hate the Yankees as much as the next guy, but does anybody else really think that the Angels, Tigers, Braves, and Mets all have a better OF than Matsui - Damon - Abreu?!?

The Angels potentially are very strong in the OF, especially if Matthews can repeat . . . but Detroit as #2?!? The Braves potentially have a hole in LF and the Mets have 2 guys collecting Social Security on either side of their outstanding CF . . . yet they're all better than the Yankees?

In two years, if they don't trade them off, the D-Rays will be #1.

Apparently Phil doesn't care too much about defense with the Cubs' pick. As soon as Matthews, Granderson and Monroe can REPEAT one successful (or fairly successful) season, then they can start talking.

I like the Braves' outfield a lot...but the Yankees should be #1 or no worse than #2.

WizardsofOzzie
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I was going to read the article but then i saw the Cubs at #7. :rolling: That told me all i needed to know

ma-gaga
02-09-2007, 12:55 PM
This is so easy, even I can do it:

1. Big Market Team
2. Big Market Team - Usually loser of the most recent World Series.
3. Big Market Team
4. Big Market Team
5. Big Market Team - Preferribly NY Based, yeah, that'll get them riled up!
6. Big Market Team - Preferribly Boston Based, yeah, that'll get them REALLY riled up!
7. Big Market Team - Chicago Based, because that's what I know...
8. Small Market Team - to make me look cultured

I'm just shocked Philly isn't in the group. :cool:

Hagan
02-09-2007, 02:16 PM
how are the angels number one? garrett anderson did poorly last year and matthews had only one good year so far.

santo=dorf
02-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Francoeur was on pace to be one of the worst 30 HR-100 RBI (finished 29 HR, 103 RBI's) guys of all time.
.260/.293/.449 with a K/BB of 132/23 :o:

Maurice, I wouldn't call Matt Murton a nobody just yet. At the end of the year, he could be the Cubs' best OF because he will have the highest OBP.

I think the Yanks are #1, Boston is up there, and Cleveland's platoon OF (Michaels/Dellucci, Sizemore, Blake/Nixon) should work very well for them

ondafarm
02-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm curious as to how he does this ranking. I mean rbis, runs scored+ rbis, OBP, or even VORP?

He's certainly not taking much of the defense into consideration.

DSpivack
02-10-2007, 01:36 AM
I don't see why Yankees shouldn't be number one, and the Devil Rays number two. If those are the top outfields in all of baseball, they are mostly all very underwhelming. I guess power has become more uniform to other positions where it wasn't historically, such as 2B, C, or SS, though.

jabrch
02-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I was going to read the article but then i saw the Cubs at #7. :rolling: That told me all i needed to know

Murton Soriano and Jones is pretty solid.

Hokiesox
02-12-2007, 08:38 AM
You mean to tell me Anderson isn't better than nobody?

spiffie
02-12-2007, 09:15 AM
You mean to tell me Anderson isn't better than nobody?
For all your teal I have no doubt that if Podsednik comes back healthy the Sox will have the best OF in baseball. Between the speed of Pods, the huge bat of Dye, and Anderson ready to have his breakout year (I'm guessing 280/340/430) and the Gold Glove caliber defense he brings, there's NO ONE I would trade our OF combo for.

WizardsofOzzie
02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Murton Soriano and Jones is pretty solid.
Only if you ignore defense which is apparently what was done in this article. Too many people forget how important defense can be...see Rob Mackowiak vs. Brian Anderson in CF. Mackowiak wins the offensive category hands down, but i will take Anderson over him anyday because of his defense

Hokiesox
02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
For all your teal I have no doubt that if Podsednik comes back healthy the Sox will have the best OF in baseball. Between the speed of Pods, the huge bat of Dye, and Anderson ready to have his breakout year (I'm guessing 280/340/430) and the Gold Glove caliber defense he brings, there's NO ONE I would trade our OF combo for.

"What we have here is..."

Perhaps I should have communicated better. I did not mean to knock Anderson. In fact, I quite like him. He's gonna be great this year. My teal was meant to mock the fact that he picked "nobody" to be better than any other established center fielder in all of MLB.

Anderson will be awesome, I have no doubt.

Jjav829
02-12-2007, 03:55 PM

Wow, spiffie, are you drinking the Sox koolaid today or what? :smile: By far the best starting rotation in baseball and now the best outfield? We're gonna win 115 games!

I'd take the Braves outfield. Great defensively with Langerhans, Jones and Franceour. Probably about 85 HRs combined between the three.

maurice
02-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Maurice, I wouldn't call Matt Murton a nobody just yet.

I'm not really taking a shot at Murton. My point is that they have no established CF.

DSpivack
02-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Wow, spiffie, are you drinking the Sox koolaid today or what? :smile: By far the best starting rotation in baseball and now the best outfield? We're gonna win 115 games!

I'd take the Braves outfield. Great defensively with Langerhans, Jones and Franceour. Probably about 85 HRs combined between the three.

Good defensively but Andruw the only good hitter overall among those three. Langerhans looks to platoon again with Diaz, while Franceour is vastly overrated (but a local boy!) and doesn't seem to know what a walk or getting on base is.

Jjav829
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Good defensively but Andruw the only good hitter overall among those three. Langerhans looks to platoon again with Diaz, while Franceour is vastly overrated (but a local boy!) and doesn't seem to know what a walk or getting on base is.

There's no questioning Francoeur needs to become a more patient hitter, but he did hit 29 HRs and drive in 103 runs last year. His average and OPS dipped from his rookie year, but you figure those will come up somewhat as he learns to adjust. The 30 HR power is legit, and if he gets that OPS back up near .850, he's a pretty good player.

gosox41
02-13-2007, 06:52 PM

I don't get how Rogers' came up with this list. It's way off.

I wonder where the White Sox OF ranks. If the Sox lose Dye for an extended amount of time, I'd rank it close to last.

Bob

DSpivack
02-13-2007, 11:03 PM
There's no questioning Francoeur needs to become a more patient hitter, but he did hit 29 HRs and drive in 103 runs last year. His average and OPS dipped from his rookie year, but you figure those will come up somewhat as he learns to adjust. The 30 HR power is legit, and if he gets that OPS back up near .850, he's a pretty good player.

And it might have been the worst season ever for a guy who went 30/100 (or at least close). IF he develops patience, then he has a chance to be good. Andruw Jones is a heck of a hitter, and rarely hits for average.