PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Jenks's weight loss?

Cuck_The_Fubs
02-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I saw him a few weeks ago on Comcast SportsNITE, he looked pretty healthy and thinner. Any articles pertaining to this?

thanks,
Cuck:cool:

DaveIsHere
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I forgot where, but i read the other day that he is down 25lbs.

rdivaldi
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Well if you read the Cubune, it's a bad thing. Here's a selected nugget from a couple of days ago:

"Will the loss of fat mean a loss of velocity for closer Bobby Jenks?"

But they are the ones who reported his progress:

"To the encouragement of team officials, Jenks is no longer relying solely on arm strength. He embarked on an all-around conditioning program that has resulted in a 25-pound weight loss."

skottyj242
02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
He looked good at SoxFest.

INSox56
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Well if you read the Cubune, it's a bad thing. Here's a selected nugget from a couple of days ago:

"To the encouragement of team officials, Jenks is no longer relying solely on arm strength. He embarked on an all-around conditioning program that has resulted in a 25-pound weight loss."
The same argument as last year is going to come forward in spring training....only reversed. "has his dropped weight meant a drop in velocity? Looks like it has because he's not throwing 99!" And his response will be the same as last year...it takes a little while to work up to that speed.

itsnotrequired
02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
The same argument as last year is going to come forward in spring training....only reversed. "has his dropped weight meant a drop in velocity? Looks like it has because he's not throwing 99!" And his response will be the same as last year...it takes a little while to work up to that speed.

Spring Training freakouts are nearly on the same level as offseason freakouts...

thedudeabides
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM

I love that gem. There's an obvious correlation between fat loss and velocity. If Bobby added 25 pounds of fat, instead of losing it, he could have come in to camp throwing 107 mph.

Nellie_Fox
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I love that gem. There's an obvious correlation between fat loss and velocity. If Bobby added 25 pounds of fat, instead of losing it, he could have come in to camp throwing 107 mph.
Ladies and gentlemen, your closer for the 2007 White Sox:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n254/donovanfranko/fat-guy.jpg

soxfanatlanta
02-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I forgot where, but i read the other day that he is down 25lbs.

I remember reading that as well; Jenks mentioned that he not only lost weight, but worked on leg strength as well. This will make him a better pitcher in October (no teal)

maurice
02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
[Cubune apologist]
Why do you have to criticize everything the Trib says? I see nothing wrong with that statement. C'mon, everybody knows that pitch velocity comes from fat! Remember how David Wells kept throwing harder and harder as he kept getting fatter and fatter?
[/Cubune apologist]

White Sox Randy
02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
I've heard that he's taken so well to his new exercise regimen and lost so much weight that the Sox may lose him as he is considering a new career as a ballerina with the Hubbard Street dance company - auditions are going on now.

I hope they cut him because the Sox could use him even though he probably can't throw above 70 mph if he doesn't weigh atleast 280.

A.T. Money
02-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Less fat should improve his game.

dickallen15
02-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Jenks threw 100 when he weighed 240, so I don't think losing any blubber is going to hurt him as long as his methods were monitored by professionals. I don't recall him hitting 100 mph last season, and there was an article that stated he had a hip problem that the White Sox thought was caused by his extra girth. Hopefully that will be corrected, because Bobby was brutal in September.

southside rocks
02-10-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/229173,CST-SPT-jenks25.article

IndianWhiteSox
02-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Was he on trimspa?

This is good though that maybe he won't break down as much.

JB98
02-10-2007, 07:22 PM
[Cubune apologist]
Why do you have to criticize everything the Trib says? I see nothing wrong with that statement. C'mon, everybody knows that pitch velocity comes from fat! Remember how David Wells kept throwing harder and harder as he kept getting fatter and fatter?
[/Cubune apologist]

That's classic stuff. I've never heard of a pitcher getting his velocity from fat before in my life. At least not until the Cubune brought it up. Do they think anyone with an IQ over 15 is going to believe their ****?

WhiteSox5187
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
That's classic stuff. I've never heard of a pitcher getting his velocity from fat before in my life. At least not until the Cubune brought it up. Do they think anyone with an IQ over 15 is going to believe their ****?
I know, the great thing is one of their closers, Rod Beck, had the great quote: I've never heard of anybody on the DL because of pulled fat.

maurice
02-13-2007, 01:10 PM
C.C. Sabathia pulled his pork in a game against the Sox last year.

The Toons said it was a "pulled abdominal muscle" but really . . . .

AuroraSoxFan
02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Looks like he took Ozzie's advice and decided not to show at camp out of shape like last year. Leave it to the damn trib to pull their BS. Didn't Balsa Wood drop some pounds too? Their guy drops some pounds and it is so he can show the world he is serious about resurrecting his career. Bobby does the same thing and he'll be doomed because he'll lose velocity. Only in Chicago!

MySoxAreClean
02-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I saw him a few weeks ago on Comcast SportsNITE, he looked pretty healthy and thinner. Any articles pertaining to this?

thanks,
Cuck:cool:
TRIMSPA BABY!

jabrch
02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
C.C. Sabathia pulled his pork in a game against the Sox last year.

The Toons said it was a "pulled abdominal muscle" but really . . . .

That was on Opening Day if I recall correctly. Nice time to hurt your fat... LOL.