PDA

View Full Version : Good article on nurturing pitching "phenoms"

caulfield12
02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6444110?MSNHPHCP&GT1=9131

ondafarm
02-09-2007, 09:06 AM
I am constantly amazed at what you call "good".

EastCoastSoxFan
02-09-2007, 09:49 AM
I thought it was a good article.
A bit dry, perhaps, but at least somewhat informative...

caulfield12
02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I am constantly amazed at what you call "good".

Well, in all reality, if you just post "so-so/mediocre/average" article on such and such, who would want to read it?

People said I was being negative, lol, now I'm being TOO optimistic about articles...?

I try to give most national baseball writers the benefit the doubt. Yes, there are plenty of us who could do better if it was our full-time job, but I'm trying to be somewhat respectful.

And if you just write "article," it sounds even more boring. Article on World Bank and IMF honchos to discuss lowering interest rates, which will in turn displace dozens of indigenous tribes by inculcating free market economics in the Brazilian rain forest..."

I don't think anyone has ever posted a link saying, "horrible" or "atrocious" or "worthy of 5th grader" article, have you? I thought there might be a few people that would be interested, I don't usually use the adjective "great" for that reason.

caulfield12
02-09-2007, 10:53 AM
More specifically, what about the article inherently makes it "bad"? I thought it was in the top 50% of articles I read...not great, certainly not abysmal. There was no White Sox mention, but that didn't surprise me entirely.

Dan Mega
02-09-2007, 10:54 AM
The article was more of a lovefest for Phillip Hughes who may or may not be terrific. I didn't see anything regarding throwing a young pitcher into the fire immediately versus letting them do their time in the minor leagues to prove themselves first.

caulfield12
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
"Royals general manager Dayton Moore, who spent more than a decade working in the pitching-rich Braves' organization, prefers most pitchers to work 400 to 500 innings before reaching the majors. Brewers G.M. Doug Melvin sets the number at 600."

I think that's fairly relevant to your point. And it's not just about Hughes, it also talks about Homer Bailey and Verlander quite a bit.