PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hate the cubs?

Dadawg_77
03-14-2002, 07:32 PM
For some reason I start to think about this and it somewhat seems Sox fans put way to much engery into hating the Cubs. Really, as long as they don't win the Pennant, I real could care less what they do. I live in the shadow of Wrigley and will move in with a Cub fan in may. Is there something I am missing here? Why should expend so much engery hating the cubs, right now I am pretty much indifferent about them.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-14-2002, 07:42 PM
It's one of those wonderful fairy tales Cubs fans tell one another, that Sox Fans are really just Cubs haters. I suppose there are some people who fit this description. However, I certainly don't fit it, and I bet the vast majority of Sox Fans here don't fit it either.

Before White Sox Interactive was even launched, I wrote this column for a long-defunct website, Go Go Sox on the Web.

Welcome Sox Fans! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm)

We've made that article into WSI's manifesto, the very essence of what makes this website what it is. It has appeared on the main page to WSI for over three years now.

For a true Sox Fan, nothing compares to a Sox win. Unfortunately, the Sox usually lose. In such an event, Sox Fans can't be too choosey. A Cubs loss will do in a pinch.

:gulp:

idseer
03-14-2002, 07:46 PM
you'll not see me bash the cubs either. i hope they DO win a pennant. of course, out here in pennsylvania i don't have to listen to their fans either.

Cheryl
03-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
For some reason I start to think about this and it somewhat seems Sox fans put way to much engery into hating the Cubs. Really, as long as they don't win the Pennant, I real could care less what they do. I live in the shadow of Wrigley and will move in with a Cub fan in may. Is there something I am missing here? Why should expend so much engery hating the cubs, right now I am pretty much indifferent about them.

I don't particularly hate the cubs. I get really really sick of the pin-heads who go to that poor excuse of a ballpark to drink beer and ogle babes and throw up on people's lawns afterwards, and don't even know what the score of the game was they were at.

Daver
03-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I don't particularly hate the cubs. I get really really sick of the pin-heads who go to that poor excuse of a ballpark to drink beer and ogle babes and throw up on people's lawns afterwards, and don't even know what the score of the game was they were at.

Exactly,I don't have the a problem with the franchise(they have a tendency to make decisions that cause amusement though) I have a problem with their fans.So far I only know of 1 intelligent Cub fan,and he of course chosses to post here,on a Sox site.Makes you wonder.

HawkDJ
03-14-2002, 08:13 PM
The Cubs and especially their fans are a disgrace to what true baseball is. To see those fans who care more about beer and Sosa home runs than anything else rewarded with a World Series would just kill me. They don't deserve to win. If any team does it is the White Sox. White Sox fans know what true baseball is all about.

Cheryl
03-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
The Cubs and especially their fans are a disgrace to what true baseball is. To see those fans who care more about beer and Sosa home runs than anything else rewarded with a World Series would just kill me. They don't deserve to win. If any team does it is the White Sox. White Sox fans know what true baseball is all about.

But you can hardly blame the majority of the cub players for this. The worst thing that ever happened to the franchise was the Trib buying it and setting it's marketting guys loose on it.

HawkDJ
03-14-2002, 09:37 PM

But you can hardly blame the majority of the cub players for this. The worst thing that ever happened to the franchise was the Trib buying it and setting it's marketting guys loose on it.

You are right I can't blame the majority of the players. I just put the Cubs and their fans because of Sammy Sosa.

Cheryl
03-14-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

You are right I can't blame the majority of the players. I just put the Cubs and their fans because of Sammy Sosa.

Which is why I said the majority of cubs players. He wouldn't be in that majority.

HawkDJ
03-14-2002, 10:08 PM

Which is why I said the majority of cubs players. He wouldn't be in that majority.

Yeah I know. Just clarifying why I put the Cubs and their fans.

bc2k
03-14-2002, 10:50 PM
They are our crosstown rivals. It's natural to root against them.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Most of you know me for my stupid posts. Truly, I am only trying to have fun and make a few people laugh. This question has raised an eyebrow!
This is a great subject. I have read the posts above and I am bit surprised at a few of the responses. I HATE the cubs. My family, basically all Sox fans, are still sometimes surprised at how much energy and year after year commitment I have to slamming those north side dumb ass mini bears. Since being able to walk, I have hated the uniform(even though we certainly have had a few winners), hated the whole luvable loser theme, hated the wrigleyville click,hated fans, hated everything. Pull the damn weeds off the wall. I'm a southsider with my family being from Bridgeport. I remember fireworks going off from the park and hearing them from my Grandma's house. This all re-enforced the Sox way of life. We had two cub fans in my neighborhood(a bit further southwest), one a complete dork and the other kid was one of those kids that spit when he talked and wrapped himself up in bandages to play fast pitch. They always got their ass kicked. My bloodtype is Sox positive. My inlaws are outlaws as they pledge allegiance to cub nation. None of them know a thing about baseball. When the Sox play the cubs I never sit down, Sox flag flies out front all year long. The cubs blow and some of you may understand my point that I cannot even figure out why I hate them so much. My wife says I need help which many of you may already know. The world will be a better place once we nuke wrigley. I am rambling and no longer able to keep a constant thought. Must reload with beer. God bless and good night! :gulp:

Daver
03-14-2002, 10:56 PM
Then you will like the coming radio feature at WSI.Totally Biased radio,coming soon.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by daver
Then you will like the coming radio feature at WSI.Totally Biased radio,coming soon.

I, of course, will tune in and rip the knob off. SRcd

:b&b
"He said knob"

RedPinStripes
03-14-2002, 11:13 PM
My family has always hated the cubs. I lived in canaryville as a young kid and learned to hate the cubs on my own as i got older by how annoying the fans are. they are as bad as packer fans. The many packer fans that waitedto buy green bay jackets after they won the superbowl in the 90's.
We'll see how many flubby lovers there are after after wrigley goes down. That will be soon too. there is no way an 80+ year old building is in good shape and safe.

Also. I was born and raised on the southside and just thought of the northside was a different land for many reasons.

RedPinStripes
03-14-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by idseer
you'll not see me bash the cubs either. i hope they DO win a pennant. of course, out here in pennsylvania i don't have to listen to their fans either.

And this comes from the guy who roots for clayton.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-14-2002, 11:24 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say.
I go up north to Ya Hay Dar land (Wisconsin) quite a bit. Packer fans are psycho and can actually be physically abusive towards you. I honestly think, even though I hate the Packers, they have a true sport mentality passion for their team.
cub fans are just like sheep following one another. "Oh, it's so cool at wrigley, oh, sammy is so cool, he'll hit a 100 home runs this year, oh, are we in first place?, oh, we're in 5th, oh well. we got bleacher tickets, where are we going after the game?, oh did you see the latest movie where the star wears the cub's cap and they go to wrigley?, Gee, we are so in!"

Do I make sense?
If not shut me off!
:gulp:

Dadawg_77
03-14-2002, 11:29 PM
The two post that state the poster hates the Cubs come from two southsiders, where the post that hate the cubs seem to come from western burbs. Me, I was born and raised on the north side. I really don't hate the area around wrigley, but the drink prices are to high at some places, but the eye candy can get pretty good.

On side note, I think my world is f'ed up when it comes to baseball. Of the southsiders i hang out with, all of them are Cubs fans where my northside friends are Sox fans, except for a couple. That just seems wrong in some strange way.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-14-2002, 11:40 PM
That is weird and wild stuff.
Actually as time went on and I eventually moved out to the country, one or two of my friends saw somewhat of the demise of the south side and the up and coming north side and all of a sudden really believed that was the place to hang out. Maybe the northsiders are travelling back to the basics while southsiders want something they never had. Deep! Let's put Spinal Tap in the VCR and polish our mood rings.
:gulp: :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
03-15-2002, 12:52 AM
My hatred for the Cubs goes beyond reason, beyond explanation. It is part of my genetic structure. Just the sight of someone wearing a Cubs cap causes the bile to start to drip.

Vsahajpal
03-15-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
My hatred for the Cubs goes beyond reason, beyond explanation. It is part of my genetic structure. Just the sight of someone wearing a Cubs cap causes the bile to start to drip.

Well, the Mayo Clinic isn't too far from you is it? :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
03-15-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Well, the Mayo Clinic isn't too far from you is it? :gulp:
Thank you for your interest, but I do not wish to be cured.

Mathew
03-15-2002, 02:27 AM
I can't believe this! I never hated the Cubs untill I found this site. I always hated Toronto (how I became a Sox fan) and hate the Yankees and Indians by default (and I really hate Seattle too, which is apparently rare) but I learned upon landing amongst other Sox fans that hating the Cubs comes first and honestly now it does. I bug the crap out of the Cubs fans I know and I used to be indifferent to them. Everyone needs rival and I say one that was fierce in 1906 is a pretty good one. Sports are played better when the opponent is hated and for me that goes for cheering too. When the Sox score against any other team I cheer for a Sox run. Against the Cubs I cheer for run for us and another against the Cubs! Otherwise how the hell would I have any reason the like the Cardinals(hated the before I hated the Cubs too)

foulkesfan11
03-15-2002, 08:57 AM
I hate the Cubs because:
1. Thery're up North.
2. Cub fans are arrogant & drunk all the time.
3. Ugly uniforms.
4. Uglier players.

One reason that Sox fans hate them so much is because the Cub fans are always trying to start arguments with Sox fans. Drunks like to argue.

Iwritecode
03-15-2002, 09:56 AM
The Cubs are one of the biggest reasons the Sox are treated like the red-headed stepchild of Chicago. Everyone focuses there attention on the Cubs no matter what they do. If they lose then its cute and cuddily and they are the "lovable losers". If they should somehow manage to win, then it's just gravy. The Sox win the Division and get largely ignored while the Cubs barely scratch out 60 wins. The media bias scews the opinion of the casual fans and then everyone wonders why the Sox attendance is so low. No other team in baseball gets ignored or trashed by it's own city as much as the Sox do. That's only because there is another team to root for whether they win or lose. It's the "in" thing to do. It's the place to be to watch women and drink beer and be seen. What other team can continually put out bad teams and still maintain good attendance? I seem to remember when other teams really suck, the fans don't show up. Not the Cubs fans. The Trib knows this too so they can continue to put bad, cheap players on the field, rake in the money and line their pockets. Any team or fans of a team that imbrace losing deserves to being hated. It's just not right.

bjmarte
03-15-2002, 10:03 AM
I think, therefore I hate the cubs.

Konerkofan
03-15-2002, 10:06 AM
Hmmm- wish all questions were this easy:

# 1 dad brought me up as a white sox fan, all childhood memories are at Comiskey Park.

#2 Cub fans are arrogant, stupid, smelly, and ugly

#3 They suck, they will always suck and for some reason they always think they're better than us

#4 They're crosstown rivals

#5 Sox are the better team

#6 All cub fans think they're team is better, cause they're always drunk and have a brain the size of a pen cap

that's just some of the reasons why I hate the cubs
GO WHITE SOX! :cool:

Konerkofan
03-15-2002, 10:08 AM
oh yeah, and I'm sick of the damn favortisim the cubs get
the newspapers and TV, if the cubs do anything, it's automatically known by everyone
if the sox do something better, it's always the second topic if even they decide to mention it

and finally the last reason I'll say is cause they have Sammy Blosa

cheeses_h_rice
03-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The Cubs are one of the biggest reasons the Sox are treated like the red-headed stepchild of Chicago. Everyone focuses there attention on the Cubs no matter what they do. If they lose then its cute and cuddily and they are the "lovable losers". If they should somehow manage to win, then it's just gravy. The Sox win the Division and get largely ignored while the Cubs barely scratch out 60 wins. The media bias scews the opinion of the casual fans and then everyone wonders why the Sox attendance is so low. No other team in baseball gets ignored or trashed by it's own city as much as the Sox do. That's only because there is another team to root for whether they win or lose. It's the "in" thing to do. It's the place to be to watch women and drink beer and be seen. What other team can continually put out bad teams and still maintain good attendance? I seem to remember when other teams really suck, the fans don't show up. Not the Cubs fans. The Trib knows this too so they can continue to put bad, cheap players on the field, rake in the money and line their pockets. Any team or fans of a team that imbrace losing deserves to being hated. It's just not right.

Ding ding -- we have a winner.

For me, too, I grew up in the northern suburbs a fan of both teams. In fact, I probably liked the Cubs more, since we usually went to more games at Wrigley than Comiskey. I have vivid memories of seeing guys like Larry Biitner, Dave Kingman, Steve Ontiveros, Jose Cardenal, Rick Reuschel, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger, etc. etc. The team was never very good then, give or take, but I always found it fun just to go to see a game. Same with the Sox, at good old Old Comiskey.

It was during the late '80s when I was very, very apathetic about sports and lived a few blocks from Wrigley Field that I started to despise the team, solely because of their fans. Loudmouth, arrogant, no-nothing Trixies (male and female) pouring out of the bars surrounding the area and into the ballpark, and then back out again. P*ssing on peoples' lawns and generally acting like the sheep they are, pretending that the ballgame was just one part of the Big Party that is living on the North Side of Chicago.

I was very happy when I finally moved out of that area in 1990 and never looked back. I started to get really into the Sox with their '93 team and since then my Sox fandom and Flub hatred has blossomed!

RedPinStripes
03-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

That is the main reason I hate the cubs and Sox-and-Roll is going to try change some of that for Sox fans.

pearso66
03-15-2002, 02:44 PM
i hate the cubs because mostly the coverage they get in the paper, news, anything. i hate sammy, the fans, i also hate them, for the simple fact that my moms side is from st louis, so they are all cardinal fans, so the cubs were hated even before they became sox fans.

RedPinStripes
03-15-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
i hate the cubs because mostly the coverage they get in the paper, news, anything. i hate sammy, the fans, i also hate them, for the simple fact that my moms side is from st louis, so they are all cardinal fans, so the cubs were hated even before they became sox fans.

It's ok to be a cards fan if you're a Sox fan. :smile:

moochpuppy
03-15-2002, 03:09 PM
I grew up in an all Cub family. My Grandfather and his Brother grew up around Lawrence and Elston and when I was a kid I was constantly going to Cub games. I mean they were die-hards. We'd go on trips to Door County, Wisconsin and they would spend their afternoons sitting in the sun trying to get WGN on the radio 260 miles away.

As I got older, I began to see how much this team really frustrated the Hell out of them. Luckily my Father was a more casual sports fan and pretty much watch whatever was on. I remember watching my first Sox game in 1981 or 1982 on channel 44 with those black and white uniforms with the disco collar and I started to pay attention to both teams. I think part of the fasination was night baseball as well.

Anyway, after a few years of watching both teams and watching them both blow a shot at the World Series (83 and 84) my cousin got married to a Sox fan and that was that. I finally had someone I could talk to about the Sox and he really got me into their history and the players and from there I was hooked and gave up on the Cubs all together.

Unfortunately, my cousin has since divorced his ass (actually a good thing for her) but now I love being the lone Sox fan in the family. My wife is more of a Cubs fan as well (having lived one block from Wrigley next to the Metro) but she'll go to Sox games here when they play the Twins and she roots for them. I think there is just something special being a Sox fan rather than a member of a fraternity.

ihatethecubs
03-15-2002, 05:10 PM
if you dont spend your time hating them, you'll miss out on a lot of good jokes.

Fisk Fan
03-15-2002, 05:55 PM
The list is too long.....