PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 2-9

Lip Man 1
02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
February 9, 1988 - Another one of the smaller moves completed by Sox G.M. Larry Himes that paid off in a major way. Himes shipped pitcher Jose DeLeon to the Cardinals for pitcher Ricky Horton and outfielder Lance "One Dog" Johnson. Johnson, would blossom into one of the better defensive center fielders in the American League, become a solid hitter, leading the league in triples for a number of seasons and steal a number of bases to boot in his eight years on the South Side.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7c/a3/698a_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/LANCE-JOHNSON-WHITE-SOX-267-DONRUSS-92-NM_W0QQitemZ220078205377QQihZ012QQcategoryZ636QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting )

Lip

veeter
02-08-2007, 01:23 PM
That was a really good trade. I think De Leon had some good strike out years with the Cards. But Lance was a very nice player. Heck, he'd be worth about 6-7 mil. a year, today.

Madvora
02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
From what I remember, Johnson led the league in hits one year. Isn't that correct? He was a number 9 hitter too. I never understood why he didn't bat lead off. Was there a reason for that?

EDIT - Wow! Look at those stats for 1996. I don't remember him ever being on the Yankees.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/playercard?playerId=6866&type=0

mealfred13
02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Isn't today February 8th?

sageofthesox
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Never fear...One Dog is here!

Lance Johnson was one of the most exciting players in White Sox history. He could hit. He could field. He could run. And he was a tremendous late-inning clutch performer. One Dog was a huge reason for those successful White Sox seasons in the early 1990's. Seeing his name in today's "This Date" brings back some great White Sox memories.

jcw218
02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Isn't today February 8th?

Lip usually posts his "This date in Sox history" tidbits one day in advance. And yes today is Feb 8th.

WizardsofOzzie
02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
From what I remember, Johnson led the league in hits one year. Isn't that correct? He was a number 9 hitter too. I never understood why he didn't bat lead off. Was there a reason for that?

EDIT - Wow! Look at those stats for 1996. I don't remember him ever being on the Yankees.

I don't see a reason that he would bat 9th, but I'm sure Tim Raines had something to do with him not batting leadoff for a few years in the 90's

mealfred13
02-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Lip usually posts his "This date in Sox history" tidbits one day in advance. And yes today is Feb 8th.

This must be the frist time I noticed one when it was actually posted:redface: Thanks.

wilburaga
02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Here's a little known factoid about Lance Johnson. I think of him as mostly a slap hitter whose speed earned him a lot of triples. But he still holds the Mets' single season record for Total Bases with 327 in 1996. With all the Strawberry, Howard Johnson and Piazza years I find that hard to believe, but it is true.

Plus Lance is on the short list (with Dick Tidrow and Charley Smith) of guys who played for the Mets, Yankees, Cubs and White Sox. Any others?

W

Lip Man 1
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
It was 'One Dog's' sliding catch in the late innings that saved Wilson Alvarez's no hitter against the Orioles in 1991.

He was a fine center fielder in the tradition of great center fielders like Jim Landis and Ken Berry.

Lip

StatManDu
02-08-2007, 04:08 PM
"The One Dog" did not bat leadoff because he did not walk much. If memory serves, he wasn't a great bunter either.

One of the most underrated players in Sox history. He could run em down in center field with the best of em.

ondafarm
02-08-2007, 04:24 PM

The reason: Tony LaRussa was a bonehead.

Ziggy S
02-08-2007, 05:52 PM
The reason: Tony LaRussa was a bonehead.
I agree about your opinion of LaRussa, but it was Fergosi and Torbog (and Lamont pre-1995) who wouldn't bat him leadoff. Tony was fired two years before we traded for the One Dog, by that genuis "Hawk" Harrelson.

veeter
02-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Actually, I'm 99% sure, Lance led both leagues in hits. I think he did it in the NL with the Mets, also.

veeter
02-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Lance led the: AL in hits in 1995- 186 hits for our SOX.
NL in hits in 1996- 227 hits for the Met.

Brian26
02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Plus Lance is on the short list (with Dick Tidrow and Charley Smith) of guys who played for the Mets, Yankees, Cubs and White Sox. Any others?

That's a nice bit of trivia.

Ron Hassey played on the Cubs, Sox and Yankees. Don't think he ever played on the Mets though.

Brian26
02-08-2007, 07:59 PM
It was 'One Dog's' sliding catch in the late innings that saved Wilson Alvarez's no hitter against the Orioles in 1991.

Don't forget to give credit to Ron Karkovice. An Oriole batter laid down a terrific bunt, and Karkovice intentionally threw it wide at first to draw an error. The runner was going to be safe by a mile, but the official scorer gave the benefit of the doubt to the Sox.

Brian26
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
One of the most underrated players in Sox history. He could run em down in center field with the best of em.

Yet he was never considered a great centerfielder because he had a terrible arm.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2007, 08:38 AM
What, no love for Ricky Horton in this thread?
:wink:

1988 Sox, Horton. 6-10 W-L, 36-28 BB-K, 4.86 ERA

I think the Cardinals were just trying to unload Ricky, and they baited the trap by tossing in One Dog.
:cool:

DirtySouthsider
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
February 9, 1988 - Another one of the smaller moves completed by Sox G.M. Larry Himes that paid off in a major way. Himes shipped pitcher Jose DeLeon to the Cardinals for pitcher Ricky Horton and outfielder Lance "One Dog" Johnson. Johnson, would blossom into one of the better defensive center fielders in the American League, become a solid hitter, leading the league in triples for a number of seasons and steal a number of bases to boot in his eight years on the South Side.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7c/a3/698a_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/LANCE-JOHNSON-WHITE-SOX-267-DONRUSS-92-NM_W0QQitemZ220078205377QQihZ012QQcategoryZ636QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting )

Lip

If I remember correctly, wasn't Jose DeLeon orginally aquired through a trade for Bobby Bonilla?

Lip Man 1
02-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Dirty:

Yes.

Lip

EastCoastSoxFan
02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Yet he was never considered a great centerfielder because he had a terrible arm.Not that I have inside access to the Elias Sports Bureau or anything, but the only outfield assist I can ever remember Lance Johnson recording came in Yankee Stadium, I believe in 1990.
Early in the game he had actually managed to wrap a home run around the right field foul pole, but it was raining off and on and no one was sure if they'd be able to complete the game.
At some point around the 5th or 6th inning the Yankees had a runner on second and someone lined a single to center. Lance charged in, came up throwing with all his might, and still managed to get it only as far as the pitcher's mound...
...where it miraculously skipped perfectly off the top of the mound into Carlton Fisk's waiting glove to nail the runner at the plate.
I guess the ol' One-Dog wanted to make DAMN sure his home run stood up...

TommyJohn
02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Another piece of Lance Johnson trivia. He hit a home run against Toronto in
Game 3 or 4 of the 1993 playoffs after not hitting a home run for the entire
season; putting him on a short list of White Sox players who have managed
that feat. We all know who the other one is, of course.

MincHiaPettito
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
any relation to Ponce?

EastCoastSoxFan
02-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Another piece of Lance Johnson trivia. He hit a home run against Toronto in
Game 3 or 4 of the 1993 playoffs after not hitting a home run for the entire
season; putting him on a short list of White Sox players who have managed
that feat. We all know who the other one is, of course.It was game 4, and I believe he also had a triple in that game, which probably vaulted him into the team lead for slugging percentage for the series.
Now if only Black Jack hadn't been tipping his pitches...

Lip Man 1
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
And Fernandez (according to Cito Gaston)

Lip