PDA

View Full Version : Flubsessisng: Oh boy..another curse created by the Cub(une)

cws05champ
02-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Awww...Another cute and cuddly curse created by the Cubs & the mediots:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070207downey,1,895906.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

cheezheadsoxfan
02-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Awww...Another cute and cuddly curse created by the Cubs & the mediots:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070207downey,1,895906.column?coll=cs-home-headlines
:puking:

PaulDrake
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Don't these people ever get embarrassed? How full of yourself can you get? This is the sort of thing that makes the Cubs and their fans so pathetic.

WizardsofOzzie
02-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Oh for the love of ****ing god!!! :angry: :angry: Let's let the goat into the park this time.....nope that didn't work. Lets blow up the Bartman ball...nooo that didn't work either. I GOT IT!! IT'S A SPIRITUAL CURSE, LET'S HAVE A SEANCE!!!

This is why i love being a Sox fan. We don't have curses. There was no such thing as the curse of Shoeless Joe, we just had bad teams, bad luck (the strike of 94), or bad decisions (white flag trade). Why cant they just accept the fact that it's one of these (mostly bad teams) and move on with their life!!!! Another funny thing about it is the "worship" of Harry Caray. Funny that most Cub fans don't realize their "idol" was an announcer for the 2 teams they hate the most before he came to the Cubs. It must be the curse of Harry Caray

veeter
02-08-2007, 08:53 AM
It's probably wise to not read the papers or listen to the radio, from now until the Sox win the World Series again. The stupidity always starts after the Bears play their last game.

CanBuehrleWait
02-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Selfish Bastards. Why can't they share the curses with everyone else. What a bunch of chumps.

dwalteroo
02-08-2007, 08:57 AM
That is embarrassing to even read.

Fenway
02-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Thank goodness we in Boston never had any of this foolish curse garbage :tongue:

besides Cohan was a Yankees fan :smile:

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy,
A Yankee Doodle, do or die;
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam's,
Born on the Fourth of July.
I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
She's my Yankee Doodle joy.
Yankee Doodle came to London,
Just to ride the ponies;
I am the Yankee Doodle Boy.

C-Dawg
02-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Hmmm, the Tribune has released their April Fool's edition a little early this year I see. Isn't this Grant dePorter's third attempt at nullifying the curse (and getting a little free pub each time)? I don't think this one will work either guys.

jenn2080
02-08-2007, 09:12 AM
It was not an oversight. Murphy was an unpopular man with Cubs fans at that moment, a World Series title notwithstanding. Many were upset at the ticket prices Murphy charged as well as at the poor choice of seats.

Well I see nothing has changed in a 100 years.

This article really makes me want to :puking:

Blob
02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
:o:

chisoxmike
02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
These people get paid to write this ****.

cheeses_h_rice
02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I heard some new curse...about Gino's East messing up some delivery order to Clark & Addison. Big brouhaha.

:gulp:

WizardsofOzzie
02-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I heard some new curse...about Gino's East messing up some delivery order to Clark & Addison. Big brouhaha.

:rolling: I'm sure Jenn will have something to say about that :smile:

AuroraSoxFan
02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
wow. Whatever that Downey dude is on.......I want some.

itsnotrequired
02-08-2007, 09:50 AM
These people get paid to write this ****.

...and the line between the Red Eye and the Tribune becomes ever more blurred.

chaotic8512
02-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Seriously, I feel dumber after having read that... :thud:

thegooch
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Let them have their curses. It distracts them from their lack of pitching and bloated payroll.

Fenway
02-08-2007, 09:54 AM
...and the line between the Red Eye and the Tribune becomes ever more blurred.

I can make an argument that Whizzer the Dog is the best sports columnist in Chicago

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/red-020807-whizzer,0,5218885.column?coll=red-columnists (http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/red-020807-whizzer,0,5218885.column?coll=red-columnists)

Steelrod
02-08-2007, 09:57 AM
The REAL curse is anyone wearing that uniform! Fortunately for the players, being traded away seems to cure it!

crazyozzie02
02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
i really am speechless after reading that. When will they learn that you can only come up with so many curses before your fan base will turn on you because your not winning (which personally i think it starting to happen) It seems like the cubs "cute and cuddley" appearence might be fading

mshake10
02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh for the love of ****ing god!!! :angry: :angry: Let's let the goat into the park this time.....nope that didn't work. Lets blow up the Bartman ball...nooo that didn't work either. I GOT IT!! IT'S A SPIRITUAL CURSE, LET'S HAVE A SEANCE!!!

This is why i love being a Sox fan. We don't have curses. There was no such thing as the curse of Shoeless Joe, we just had bad teams, bad luck (the strike of 94), or bad decisions (white flag trade). Why cant they just accept the fact that it's one of these (mostly bad teams) and move on with their life!!!! Another funny thing about it is the "worship" of Harry Caray. Funny that most Cub fans don't realize their "idol" was an announcer for the 2 teams they hate the most before he came to the Cubs. It must be the curse of Harry Caray
:?: Talk about overreacting. It's just a pointless fluff piece on a planned dinner.

WizardsofOzzie
02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
:?: Talk about overreacting. It's just a pointless fluff piece on a planned dinner.
Maybe i get tired of hearing it day in and day out. The Cubs organization and Cubs fans alike need to quit blaming every little thing that happens on curses and do something useful.

Iwritecode
02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
i really am speechless after reading that. When will they learn that you can only come up with so many curses before your fan base will turn on you because your not winning (which personally i think it starting to happen) It seems like the cubs "cute and cuddley" appearence might be fading

Well, it started happening a little at the end of last year. But since the Cubs went out and spent a bajillion dollars on a horrible pitching staff and a power-hitting infielder turned center fielder that they are going to stick in the lead-off spot everyone is back to "This is the Cubs year! Woo!".

:rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
02-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Sad. Just real sad. :(:

CLR01
02-08-2007, 10:50 AM
It's probably wise to not read the papers or listen to the radio, from now until the Sox win the World Series again. The stupidity always starts after the Bears play their last game.

It rages on during Big Cub season too. The stupidity is a year-round thing.

tebman
02-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, it started happening a little at the end of last year. But since the Cubs went out and spent a bajillion dollars on a horrible pitching staff and a power-hitting infielder turned center fielder that they are going to stick in the lead-off spot everyone is back to "This is the Cubs year! Woo!".

Oh no! He's back! :cower:

Run for your lives!

:woo-woo

Dan Mega
02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
It rages on during Big Cub season too. The stupidity is a year-round thing.

The Tribune doesn't cover the Fins. :wink:

TommyJohn
02-08-2007, 11:11 AM

A puff piece it is, but it will never cease to amaze me how much mileage
Grant DePorter gets out of this stuff.

The Critic
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I hope they feed Murphy some baseball-flavored spaghetti sauce.

bryPt
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, after 99 years of failure, using the same excuses over and over again wear a little thin, so building a new excuse for this years team is par for the course over at the tower.

Just the name Chicago Tribune makes me want to he hehehe heee heee HA HAA HAAAAA HAAAAA HHAAAAAAA HAHHAHHAHAHHHHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! HAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAA!!!!

Hahhahhhaaaa!! Ha HAAaa. hee hee he, ahh, ah he, laugh.

Nellie_Fox
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Maybe each of these attempts to remove old curses creates a new curse because the curse gods don't like to be mocked. :cool:

PatK
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Another funny thing about it is the "worship" of Harry Caray. Funny that most Cub fans don't realize their "idol" was an announcer for the 2 teams they hate the most before he came to the Cubs. It must be the curse of Harry Caray

Or that the "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" tradition he started began during his stint with the Sox.

Since he died, both teams won WS titles.

bryPt
02-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Guys and Gals, I got it all figured out. The Cubune has seen the popularity of The Onion and figured that they needed some competition. Everything they write now are jokes. Get it? Damn, they are some funny peeps over in that tower! Damn, he he hee hee, HE HE HAAA HA!!!!!

Foulke You
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
...everyone is back to "This is the Cubs year! Woo!".

You are correct. Of course, we've been putting up with that every year for a long time. I remember when the Cubs signed Mel Rojas and Brian McRae and everyone was ready to print World Series tickets. It really doesn't matter who the Cubs get, their fanbase is always ready to think "this is the year" no matter how bad their team really is.

GoSox2K3
02-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Yep, back to the same old "the Cubs are going to be awesome next year" while constantly ripping on the team that actually won the World Series 16 months ago and still looks ready to make a run in baseball's toughest division.

....and of course, wrapping up all the Cub failures in warm, cuddly, lovable folklore.

thedudeabides
02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank goodness we in Boston never had any of this foolish curse garbage :tongue:

besides Cohan was a Yankees fan :smile:

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy,
A Yankee Doodle, do or die;
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam's,
Born on the Fourth of July.
I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
She's my Yankee Doodle joy.
Yankee Doodle came to London,
Just to ride the ponies;
I am the Yankee Doodle Boy.

A "Yankee Doodle Dandy" isn't exactly an endearing term.

http://www.smart-central.com/USA/YankeeDoodle.htm

maurice
02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
For those who only have seen the on-line edition, this is not a filler story on page 7 . . . it's the 1st article on the 1st page of the Sports section. This is why they put a Trib marketing guy in charge of the Cubs when they canned MacPhail. They gotta ramp up that "lovable" image in the face of declining market share, and Dan McGrath always is willing to serve his corporate masters . . . and his 401(k).

The Racehorse
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
For those who only have seen the on-line edition, this is not a filler story on page 7 . . . it's the 1st article on the 1st page of the Sports section. This is why they put a Trib marketing guy in charge of the Cubs when they canned MacPhail. They gotta ramp up that "lovable" image in the face of declining market share, and Dan McGrath always is willing to serve his corporate masters . . . and his 401(k).

For someone like me not living in Chicago & not having the actual Trib-paper in my hands, that's some great insight! :cool:

WhiteSox5187
02-08-2007, 01:17 PM
You are correct. Of course, we've been putting up with that every year for a long time. I remember when the Cubs signed Mel Rojas and Brian McRae and everyone was ready to print World Series tickets.
And then they started the year by going 0-14.

The Cubs are cursed, but not by a goat or a ball or whoever the hell this guy is, but by incredibly stupid management, god awful pitching, mediocre talent, a bloated payroll and a flock of sheep for fans. Why get better when you're guarenteed forty thousand showing up everyday regardless?

minutia
02-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I heard about this toast/undo the curse business yesterday afternoon on WLS so I was somewhat prepared to see this artice today, however I thought they had to be kidding. Here we go with this curse crap again. This sort of article to me seems like insurance for when all of their pricey acquisitions amount to nothing they can shurg their shoulders again and go "we tried, it's the curse, check us next Spring because 2008 is our year"
I thought Lou Pinella was smarter than that to be buying into this curse crap, but again I am wrong.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I am kind of amused by the article.....the same way I felt the first time I read Mad magazine; I knew then, and now, it was mindless crap.

With all the national media jumping on the "Let's get rid of Rex" bandwagon, I truly hope someone picks this stry up and displays it for the steaming pile of horse**** it truly is.

Of course, when Piniella says "there are no curses", he will be the first manager in Chicago baseball to say that, as well.

****ing joke.

AuroraSoxFan
02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I admire the imagination that goes into these little fables of theirs. Just wish they'd use it to write fiction books or something. This is one of the biggest examples of a guy with too much time on his hands that I have seen in quite a while.

Domeshot17
02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
I usually don't write any kind of long letters to Sports Writers, but I couldn't resist here.

Dear Mr. Downey-

I have always wondered, do people and writers actually believe in these "curses" you speak of. I think more can be blamed on the lack of talent and execution over 99 years then any curse. I feel the same way whenever I hear the name Steve Bartman. I wish I heard that name a lot less, and Alex Gonzalez a lot more. Steve Bartman caught a foul ball. Alex Gonzalez dropped a sure Double Play. Then, "Ace" Kerry Wood got shelled in the game 7. I think the sooner people stop blaming Goats, Owners, Song Writers, FANS, and start putting the blame where it is due, Players CHOKING in clutch situations, the sooner the Cubs might move on. However, When the players come in expecting to lose, losing has become lovable, excuses are constantly made,Fans show up despite the product on the field, It sounds more like a circus then a Professional Baseball Franchise.

Maybe people should stop worrying about who cursed the Cubs now, and question more why they just threw insane money at Ted Lilly (a career .500 pitcher) and Jason Marquis (so bad his old team left him off the playoff roster). Why the Cubs failed to address a big team concern (defense) and why they may be 7 starters deep, but 1/2 of them don't belong on a winning teams roster. If they wanted to throw 7 million a year at a pitcher, why not Jeff Weaver, who has 10 times the talent of Marquis, and as bad as he can be, is not Jason Marquis bad.

I expect this year will ultimately be like a lot of others. Wood and Prior Hurt, Runs are scored, but more are given up, and the Cubs finish below .500 in the softest division in Baseball. The only difference is they do it with a payroll more then the last 2 World Champs, and with a Manager who used to be one of the best in the game, but failed in his last rebuilding process. Atleast Marquis might get another chance to pitch at USCF.

Thank you for your time-

Tony

SOXPHILE
02-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Feeling much dumber for having read that article, I must ask, again, what was the point ? Mike Downey's columns have always been nothing but pre-chewed pablum and fluff for all the stupid blue sheep, and sorta casual sports fans alike, but this thing, on page 1 of the SPORTS section....:?: Oh yeah, it's to keep the whole "Curse" thing going in the lexicon of Chicago "sports", sell tickets for Grant DePorter, and further publicity for TribCo. Here we are, a few days after football season ends, and they publish something like this. I believe this may be a figurative "GENTLEMEN, START YOUR' ENGINES" from the Big Blue Corporation, and there will now be an increasing number of Cubs stories, (WAY more than the Sox), leading in to spring training. Especially since THIS IS THEIR YEAR !

Irishsox1
02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I've just re-read the article for the second time and it still doesn't make much sense. From what I've gathered the name "Murphy" is bad luck for the Cubs.... Is that it?

All I can say is, is this article news worthy?....NO! This seems more like some blog entry by a Cub fan scratching for something to put on-line.

The Tribune sports section flat out sucks! Sell the Cubs or sell the newspaper, but together they are not getting the job done.

Jerko
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
:chunks

Whitesox029
02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
If your last name is Cohan, Chance, Steinfeldt, Tinker, Howard, Sheckard, Evers, Moran, Williams or Murphy, this could be of some interest to you.
The first sentence says it all.

tony1972
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I always preferred the Tribune to the Sun-Times because I felt it was more professional and the Sun-Times more of a tabloid.

Now I am not so sure. This writer should be embarassed..is he writing for a high school paper now or a major metropolitan newspaper? Who approved this article?

He should be embarassed to call himself a journalist.

WizardsofOzzie
02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I always preferred the Tribune to the Sun-Times because I felt it was more professional and the Sun-Times more of a tabloid.

Now I am not so sure. This writer should be embarassed..is he writing for a high school paper now or a major metropolitan newspaper? Who approved this article?

He should be embarassed to call himself a journalist.

I said the same thing about Chris DeLuca of the Sun Times last week and I'm sticking to it. They get all offended when you insult their lifetime achievements in journalism (such as actually becoming one and even getting paid to write the garbage they do) though. :tongue:

WizardsofOzzie
02-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I usually don't write any kind of long letters to Sports Writers, but I couldn't resist here.

Dear Mr. Downey-

I have always wondered, do people and writers actually believe in these "curses" you speak of. I think more can be blamed on the lack of talent and execution over 99 years then any curse. I feel the same way whenever I hear the name Steve Bartman. I wish I heard that name a lot less, and Alex Gonzalez a lot more. Steve Bartman caught a foul ball. Alex Gonzalez dropped a sure Double Play. Then, "Ace" Kerry Wood got shelled in the game 7. I think the sooner people stop blaming Goats, Owners, Song Writers, FANS, and start putting the blame where it is due, Players CHOKING in clutch situations, the sooner the Cubs might move on. However, When the players come in expecting to lose, losing has become lovable, excuses are constantly made,Fans show up despite the product on the field, It sounds more like a circus then a Professional Baseball Franchise.

Maybe people should stop worrying about who cursed the Cubs now, and question more why they just threw insane money at Ted Lilly (a career .500 pitcher) and Jason Marquis (so bad his old team left him off the playoff roster). Why the Cubs failed to address a big team concern (defense) and why they may be 7 starters deep, but 1/2 of them don't belong on a winning teams roster. If they wanted to throw 7 million a year at a pitcher, why not Jeff Weaver, who has 10 times the talent of Marquis, and as bad as he can be, is not Jason Marquis bad.

I expect this year will ultimately be like a lot of others. Wood and Prior Hurt, Runs are scored, but more are given up, and the Cubs finish below .500 in the softest division in Baseball. The only difference is they do it with a payroll more then the last 2 World Champs, and with a Manager who used to be one of the best in the game, but failed in his last rebuilding process. Atleast Marquis might get another chance to pitch at USCF.

Thank you for your time-

Tony

Let us know if he sends you a response. I'm sure it will be in depth, researched and thought out :rolleyes:

russ99
02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
I've just re-read the article for the second time and it still doesn't make much sense. From what I've gathered the name "Murphy" is bad luck for the Cubs.... Is that it?

All I can say is, is this article news worthy?....NO! This seems more like some blog entry by a Cub fan scratching for something to put on-line.

The Tribune sports section flat out sucks! Sell the Cubs or sell the newspaper, but together they are not getting the job done.

50 bucks says it's that CubClown Murphy from the Score who recreates "Mr. Bad Luck" at the 'seance'. Idiots. The BBGs don't take too kindly to all this messing about with the fabric of the universe...

Oh, and I need at least 2-3 more months before Ronnie Woo-Woo comes out of his cave or hut, or whatever.

Whitesox029
02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I think they are just now realising that the Billy Goat curse in no way accounts for the 37 years between 1908 and 1945, which makes up more than one third of the drought. Smart people, those cub fans.

StillMissOzzie
02-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Keep in mind that they are not writing this fluff for Sox fans, they are addressing the blue sheep who keep needing excuses why their team sucks, year after year. If and when the blue sheep come around to realizing that while they spin the turnstiles at the Urinal 3 million times, nothing needs to change in the minds of Cubune brass. Instead, they dislocate their arms patting themselves on the back for being the "world's greatest fans".

Only a few empty seats will get their attention.

SMO

GoSox2K3
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Dear Cubune,
Please note below the list of best records produced by Chicago baseball teams since 1959 (with postseason berths in bold). Note how many more lines are in black than in blue (15 vs. 6) and how these few blue lines tend to gravitate toward the bottom of this list. This is not called being "cursed", it's called sucking.

Also note (in bold) how the so-called Cursed team has managed to qualify for postseason play with winning pcts. below many teams from the other side of town that missed the postseason due to tougher competition. Far from being cursed, I would call the blue team "lucky". Again this entire offseason we've been subjected to constant praise about how the "cursed" team has a shot at making an 85-win playoff entry while the other team has been blasted despite being in the position to have another 90+ win season.

Instead of spewing out endless curse theories and curse-breaking hocus pocus, the blue team should just put effort into building a solid organization instead of just throwing reckless money to fill an embarassingly large number of holes. Also, if fans of the blue team cared more about winning than how cool and popular their team is....if wins mattered more than attendance numbers, then maybe they would have the guts to hold the team accountable for bad baseball instead of waxing poetically about curses.

In the meantime, please don't insult our intelligence with more "curse" malarky. Many Chicagoans aren't stupid enough to believe this nonsense - we call those people "Sox fans".

2005 White Sox 99 63 .611
1983 White Sox 99 63 .611
1959 White Sox 94 60 .610
1964 White Sox 98 64 .605
1984 Cubs 96 65 .596
1994 White Sox 67 46 .593
2000 White Sox 95 67 .586
1965 White Sox 95 67 .586
1993 White Sox 94 68 .580
1990 White Sox 94 68 .580
1963 White Sox 94 68 .580
1989 Cubs 93 69 .574
1969 Cubs 92 70 .568
1972 White Sox 87 67 .565
1960 White Sox 87 67 .565
2006 White Sox 90 72 .556
1977 White Sox 90 72 .556
1998 Cubs 90 73 .552*
1967 White Sox 89 73 .549
2004 Cubs 89 73 .549
2003 Cubs 88 74 .543

* completed regular schedule tied for playoff berth at 89-73, won 1-game playoff

mshake10
02-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Keep in mind that they are not writing this fluff for Sox fans, they are addressing the blue sheep who keep needing excuses why their team sucks, year after year. If and when the blue sheep come around to realizing that while they spin the turnstiles at the Urinal 3 million times, nothing needs to change in the minds of Cubune brass. Instead, they dislocate their arms patting themselves on the back for being the "world's greatest fans".

Only a few empty seats will get their attention.

SMO
What about them white sheep? You know, the ones who take Kenny's word like he's god? Surely there are some out there. :D:

thomas35forever
02-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Why are they getting George M. Cohan involved in this? So what if the owner wasn't invited? Some people still don't like Reinsdorf. Does that mean he couldn't speak at the victory rally?

Fenway
02-08-2007, 07:15 PM
My wife who when she went to college and law school in Chicago spent a lot of time at both parks ( she loved the White Sox ) emailed me her response to this column

Unless they agree to serve beer to goats the whole
thing won't work. (I mean, if the goat poops on the
floor, it can't be that much worse than other things
they've had to clean up. So, c'mon, already; serve
the goats, it can only help!)

And there are still the drifting motes from the
Bartman Ball floating in the air all over the world.
I don't know if these can all be gathered but at least
one should be present. Bartman himself must not be.

And shouldn't they have the event in Murphy's
Bleachers? For Harry's presence, all you need is to
set aside a special seat at the bar or a table with an
open Bud in front of it.

The guy named "Chance" should be a FAT Chance. Sorry.

Keith Moreland has to drop a routine fly. (I assume
that will invoke the ghost of Steve Goodman, who
should be present.) Do they need to get Jody, Jody,
Jody Davis to do anything, or is his back permanently
out of whack?

Bill Murray has to be there in golf gear with a
rodent. Possibly a Gerbil.

Bill Buckner has to be there, and they have to serve
him because the "no goats" rule will have been
abolished.

Some object representing Babe Ruth must be there, so
the Babe's ghost can point. I don't know what to do
about the piano; I think that was a Red Sox thing and
not needed for a Cub ritual.

Nobody must build anything (the "new bleachers" may
violate this rule). Because "if you build it," old
White Sox will come. That's the last thing the Cub
fans need at this ceremony.

By all means, keep the Chicago Bears away! Not to
mention the Blackhawks and the Bulls.

Someone should solemnly quote my Uncle Paul, the
staunch Cub fan: "The weekend begins Wednesday
night," (that was yesterday, so all day today is fair
game) and "Let's have a beer and ease into the
cocktail hour."

Are they inviting Ernie Banks or not? What about Leon
Durham?

WizardsofOzzie
02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
What about them white sheep? You know, the ones who take Kenny's word like he's god? Surely there are some out there. :D:
At least Kenny's done something to inspire such a following. It may not be right, but at least he assembled a team thats won a world series in the last century

cws05champ
02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
After the Cub collapse of 2007 it will be:

The Curse of the Chicago Ophans(cubs 1989-1901), because they weren't loved enough...

After the Cub collapse of 2008:

The Curse of the Chicago Colts(cubs 1890-1897), because the Colts beat the Bears...Bears are grown up Cubs, a curse is born.

After the Cub collapse of 2009:

The Curse of the Chicago White Stockings(cubs 1876-1889), because the South side SOB's took the original name that Cubs started with.

Cue the energizer bunny....

Dan Mega
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
My wife who when she went to college and law school in Chicago spent a lot of time at both parks ( she loved the White Sox ) emailed me her response to this column

Fenway, your wife is hilarious.:D: :rolling:

Fenway
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Fenway, your wife is hilarious.:D: :rolling:

20 years ago she knew if she wanted to watch baseball it was Comiskey

if you wanted a party 1060 W Addison

CLR01
02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
At least Kenny's done something to inspire such a following. It may not be right, but at least he assembled a team thats won a world series in the last century

That's not fair, the Cubs have won a World Series in the last century.

They can continue to claim that for another season. :rolling:

WizardsofOzzie
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
That's not fair, the Cubs have won a World Series in the last century.

They can continue to claim that for another season. :rolling:

Quit your damn nitpicking :redneck

vegyrex
02-10-2007, 01:19 PM
For a team that claims they are loved by "every one" they sure are cursed a lot. :rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
02-11-2007, 11:41 AM
For a team that claims they are loved by "every one" they sure are cursed a lot. :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing. :D: