PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Question

crazyozzie02
02-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey guys. I got a question for you. I want to spend my first offical college spring break in Tuscon with the sox. I was just wondering how much it costs on average to go down there. (with hotel, food, travel, ect) I just want to get a ballpark idea of what you guys have paid before i go to a travel agent.

Colin

FoulkeFan
02-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I have paid anywhere from $175-$400 for a flight from Chicago to Tucson. This year I'm paying $260 for the flight. Southwest and American both have non-stop flights into Tucson. Sometimes you can save money by flying into Phoenix and driving down to Tucson but I prefer to fly directly to Tucson and skip the 1-1/2 to 2 hour drive.

March is prime tourist season for Arizona so rental cars and hotels tend to be on the high side. I was lucky this year and got a room for $80 a night, but I had to search high & low for that rate. My rental car is costing me approximately $40/night including taxes, fees etc.

sox1970
02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey guys. I got a question for you. I want to spend my first offical college spring break in Tucson with the sox. I was just wondering how much it costs on average to go down there. (with hotel, food, travel, etc) I just want to get a ballpark idea of what you guys have paid before i go to a travel agent.

Depends on how many days your going to be there and how many games you go to. I went for four days a couple years ago. All said and done, it cost about a grand. If you're splitting car rental and hotel, you should be able to limit the expenses.

C-Dawg
02-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I like the fly-to-Phoenix option; there's a lot more flights to choose from. I've been there twice, last year it was something like $160 round trip on Southwest. Lodging last year was at the Motel 6 on Bensen Highway in Tucson (not far from the ballpark) for $39.99 a night (still have the confirmation email here on the work computer).

Game tickets are in the $15 range if I remember right.

By the way, be sure to hit a couple games in the Phoenix area. Don't let anyone scare you about the drive, its something like 100 miles, but everyone there drives about 90 MPH so you're there pretty quick.

Mots09
02-08-2007, 08:14 AM
We are paying 300.00 for round-trip flight out of Des Moines, IA and staying four night at 125 a night.

I figure by the time the whole trip it over it will be roughly 800 to 1k, but all worth it.

crazyozzie02
02-08-2007, 10:17 AM
thanks for the info. one question for you guys though. are these figures for 1 or 2 (or more) people. Im assuming 2, but i want to be sure

Mots09
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
I am going w/ another guy so a total travel party of 2 but we both figured we would spend 800 to 1k a piece.

C-Dawg
02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
thanks for the info. one question for you guys though. are these figures for 1 or 2 (or more) people. Im assuming 2, but i want to be sure

The airfare I quoted was per person; the motel was per room but I figured you could always cram in a few extra bodies before they catch on. :cool:

I'm kind of sad I'm not going this year, but maybe in another year or two. Gotta love sporting a nice new Tucson Spring Training hat at the ballpark come April!

EDIT - I should mention I booked my airfare way early - like November.

FoulkeFan
02-08-2007, 01:57 PM

My airfare was for 1 person, the hotel was per room. I don't know when you're planning on going but it looks like the Sox are in Tucson every day from March 21-26. American has an airfare of $255 per person for those dates. I also checked and there are a lot of budget hotels under $100 for those nights as well, including a Red Roof Inn that's 3 miles from the park for $48/night. I assumed that as a college student you'd be looking for a budget hotel. :smile: You'll probably still pay at least $40/day total for a rental car.

C-Dawg
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Just to get people in the mood for Spring Training, I posted 10 pics from last year's spring campaign in the WSI Image Gallery; look in the section called "Other Parks". Thanks to the mods for the quick approval! :D:

IlliniSox
02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Another question,
I'm going to be in Phoenix 2/20-2/23. Is it worth it heading down to Tucson before the scheduled games start on March 1st? It would be worth it to me if there were some intrasquad games going on, but I wouldn't want to watch drills and jogging and the like. I couldn't find any specifics for those days anywhere.

Thanks all.

MincHiaPettito
02-13-2007, 08:27 PM
is there some sort of snakebite insurance or is that included in your stay

drewcifer
02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey guys. I got a question for you. I want to spend my first offical college spring break in Tuscon with the sox. I was just wondering how much it costs on average to go down there. (with hotel, food, travel, ect) I just want to get a ballpark idea of what you guys have paid before i go to a travel agent.

Colin

The wife and I are heading over on March 9th out of NY and coming home on the 12th on the red eye. Round trip tix were $248/ea (Continental).

We'll see the A's on Saturday and the Pads on Monday with Sunday to tool around. Tix were dirt cheap - We got the best seats we could grab for both games (right on our dugout) and they were only $15/game.

The hotels we looked at all seemed high, but we like to be out and get into things aside from watching the Sox so we grabbed a close motel to Tuscon Electric for the sleep time; like $70/night or so, I think...

All in all, pretty cheap for a quick 3/3 almost 3,000 mi away...

DrGozzie
02-14-2007, 10:48 AM
This is Mrs. DrGozzie. I planned a trip for spring training for DH and me for Valentine's Day. We're going from the 1-4th, and it was $800-something for both of us. That includes airfare from Bloomington, IL and the hotel. We're staying very close to the field and airport, at a decent, average place. We'll just take a cab to the games. I wanted to stay at one of the swanky resorts, but they're all about 1/2 hour from the field. I'm so excited!!

Mots09
02-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Drew what hotel did you lock up?

MarySwiss
02-14-2007, 04:13 PM
is there some sort of snakebite insurance or is that included in your stay

:rolleyes:

I've lived here for ten years. In that time, I have seen zero snakes and one scorpion.

But watch out for the fire ants and Africanized bees. They're everywhere!!**

(**Inside joke. Every year, an Arizona Republic columnist writes a column designed to keep people from moving here.)

drewcifer
02-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Drew what hotel did you lock up?

Just checked with the Mrs... Lazy8 or something like that...

Supposedly real close to the park; hopefully it turns out to be ok...

DrGozzie
02-17-2007, 03:34 PM
This is Mrs. DrGozzie again. Someone just told me Tucson is a dangerous place with a lot of border crossings and shootings. Is this area by the ballpark safe, anyone?

sox1970
02-17-2007, 04:01 PM
This is Mrs. DrGozzie again. Someone just told me Tucson is a dangerous place with a lot of border crossings and shootings. Is this area by the ballpark safe, anyone?

It's fine.

Scottiehaswheels
02-17-2007, 04:06 PM

Colin
Colin, fly out of Gary dude... I know Mr Roboto told me he got a flight from Gary to Tuscon or Phoenix for like 200 or so roundtrip... And its free parking/close to home...

michned
02-17-2007, 05:06 PM

The border bandit stuff is nonsense, unless you're talking about car theft. Any large parking lot near the freeways down here is more susceptible to car theft, including TEP. Last September my car was broken into at TEP while attending a PCL playoff game, but it was at night and the Sidewinders do not monitor the parking lot. But overall there is no bigger risk of being a random victim than you would be in any city.

MarySwiss
02-17-2007, 05:38 PM
The border bandit stuff is nonsense, unless you're talking about car theft. Any large parking lot near the freeways down here is more susceptible to car theft, including TEP. Last September my car was broken into at TEP while attending a PCL playoff game, but it was at night and the Sidewinders do not monitor the parking lot. But overall there is no bigger risk of being a random victim than you would be in any city.

Thanks for chiming in, Michned. I was going to (border shootings?), but it obviously comes better from you since you actually live there.

BTW, are you going to the workouts next weekend? I was thinking about coming down next Saturday since I had such a great time there last year.

For any of the rest of you who are heading out here soon, the weekend before the first actual game is awesome. The entire team is here by then, and they're pretty good about signing autographs. Last year, I think there were only about 150-200 people at the Saturday workout.

manders_01
02-17-2007, 10:16 PM
I went for four days last year. With roundtrip airfare (Denver to Phoenix), rental car, hotel, three games, food, etc., I think I spent $500-700.

It was completely worth it - I'm doing it again this year! :D:

michned
02-17-2007, 11:08 PM
BTW, are you going to the workouts next weekend? I was thinking about coming down next Saturday since I had such a great time there last year.

It largely depends on our local Little League's player evaluation schedule next Saturday, but I agree 100%, it was great to see them workout - a totally different perspective. There will probably be even less people there this year.

MarySwiss
02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
It largely depends on our local Little League's player evaluation schedule next Saturday, but I agree 100%, it was great to see them workout - a totally different perspective. There will probably be even less people there this year.
I hadn't thought about that, but you're probably right. Last year, they were coming off that WS win. Anyway, if you show up and you see a 5'4" redhead wandering around in a Konerko road with WS patch, that'll likely be me. Stop and say hi!

TDog
02-18-2007, 11:23 AM

What do they tell you about going to the Cell?

michned
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I hadn't thought about that, but you're probably right. Last year, they were coming off that WS win. Anyway, if you show up and you see a 5'4" redhead wandering around in a Konerko road with WS patch, that'll likely be me. Stop and say hi!

You'll likely be the only 5'4" redhead in a road jersey there so if I make it I'll be sure to say hi.

DrGozzie
02-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for your replies. I really wasn't worried about it, but I thought I'd ask. Someone who lives in Casa Grande told me that - that Tucson is so dangerous, etc. My thoughts were that it's just like anywhere else - Chicago, Peoria - any city has its dangerous places, it doesn't mean the whole city is dangerous.