PDA

View Full Version : Southern Arizona Seeks Spring Training Protection Against Maricopa County

Viva Medias B's
02-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Since this has to do with the business of baseball and would ultimately not affect the White Sox proposed move from Tucson to Glendale, I am posting this here in this forum. It is about proposed legislation (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/springtraining/166803) from Southern Arizona officials to prevent towns from using public money to lure teams from other parts of the state. Specifically, it would prevent towns in Maricopa County from using public monies of the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority to lure non-Maricopa teams there.

Please limit your discussion on this to the business of baseball and not send the thread you know where by bringing politics, Tucson vs. Phoenix trash talk, etc., into the thread.

ondafarm
02-07-2007, 08:49 AM
I think it's based on the population and available tourism facilities. Until there are more ST teams in Pima County, more teams will want to play in Maricopa County. The Sox ST schedule seems to feature half of it's games against the Diamondbacks and the Rockies. They are the only locals available.

Chicken Dinner
02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I think Pima county and Tucson have seen their last team. No team will want to go there with all their whining and crying.

maurice
02-07-2007, 12:16 PM
This has been discussed for quite some time. To me, it's a public policy issue. Presumably, the public funds are intended to lure teams from FL to AZ. Using them to lure teams from Tucson to the PHX area is a ridiculous waste. If I lived in AZ, I'd be POed. Fortunately, I live in Chicago.

TDog
02-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I think Pima county and Tucson have seen their last team. No team will want to go there with all their whining and crying.

Spring Training is the No. 1 generator of tourism revenue in Pima County, followed by the ever-expanding gem and mineral show. Despite the gem show's status as one of the premier events of its kind in the country, what it brings the community is dwarfed by spring training. The city hosts a major mid-January youth soccer tournament that brings in teams from all over the country, but that only brings in a tiny fraction of what spring training does. Tucson is the only city in the country that hosts three teams for spring training.

The "whining and crying" is the reaction of public officials to a threat to the financial well-being of their constituency. The same sort of "whining and crying" happens in every community that faces the loss of a spring training team.

At one time, four Arizona counties hosted spring training. Really, the state would be better off in the long run if it doesn't limit the number to one.

ondafarm
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Spring Training is the No. 1 generator of tourism revenue in Pima County, followed by the ever-expanding gem and mineral show. Despite the gem show's status as one of the premier events of its kind in the country, what it brings the community is dwarfed by spring training. The city hosts a major mid-January youth soccer tournament that brings in teams from all over the country, but that only brings in a tiny fraction of what spring training does. Tucson is the only city in the country that hosts three teams for spring training.

The "whining and crying" is the reaction of public officials to a threat to the financial well-being of their constituency. The same sort of "whining and crying" happens in every community that faces the loss of a spring training team.

At one time, four Arizona counties hosted spring training. Really, the state would be better off in the long run if it doesn't limit the number to one.

Then make it easy for those teams to play the other teams in other parts of Arizona.