PDA

View Full Version : Beating the Super Bowl Blues

I want Mags back
02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
the sun-times today ranked the Sox as the number 1 up coming thing to live for after the Bears super bowl lost.
the Cubs were number 2 - ha ha

link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/244852,CST-FTR-livefor06.article)

esbrechtel
02-06-2007, 07:54 PM
This is the first thing i thought after the game...."oh well....pitchers and catchers report this month....:D:"

October26
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Yup, same here. I will become a Comcast addict later this month and in early March watching all the Arizona coverage. It's nice to have something nice to look forward to, given how nasty the weather has been around Chicago lately. Can't wait for those Spring training games to get here...:smile:

chisoxfanatic
02-06-2007, 08:07 PM
To be honest with you, I got over Sunday's game fairly soon. In fact, I got over it even before driving home from my parents' house that night. I thought to myself: "Well, there are the Blackhawks and Bulls still playing, and the Sox aren't gonna be starting too far off from now!" It rocks living in a place that is represented in all sports on the major-league level.

dwalteroo
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I actually left my friend's Superbowl party, went home, and watched highlights from Game 2 of the World Series. By the time Pods hit the walk-off home run, I was already over the Superbowl loss. The Bears will be back next year. Til then....

oeo
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
To be honest with you, I got over Sunday's game fairly soon. In fact, I got over it even before driving home from my parents' house that night. I thought to myself: "Well, there are the Blackhawks and Bulls still playing, and the Sox aren't gonna be starting too far off from now!" It rocks living in a place that is represented in all sports on the major-league level.

I was never really angry, like I would be if the Sox lost in the World Series. Mostly disappointed, and I still am. This is mostly because they didn't play well at all...it wouldn't be as bad if they played a good game and were beat. They could have won that game; they weren't even prepared for it, though.

itsnotrequired
02-06-2007, 10:22 PM
To be honest with you, I got over Sunday's game fairly soon. In fact, I got over it even before driving home from my parents' house that night.

As a Packer fan, I was over the Super Bowl before it began.:cool:

Look to the sig, people, look to the sig...

Taliesinrk
02-06-2007, 11:31 PM
good to be a hoosier...

DumpJerry
02-07-2007, 12:04 AM
The Blackhawks are playing?

DSpivack
02-07-2007, 12:45 AM

I, too, was hardly upset. I was expecting the loss, not anything against the Bears but was just thought the Colts the superior team. That and being just 22, I was happy enough to see the Bears in a Super Bowl for the first time (not remembering when I was 20 months old).

As for the last statement, Atlanta has all four sports, but the only interesting/good team to me is the Thrashers; the exact opposite of Chicago (everything but hockey). That and the entire history of the city has seen one pro sports title (1996 Braves), whereas since Super Bowl XX, Chicago has 8 (Bears 1, Sox 1, Bulls 6), no city having more in that time period (21 years previous, Chicago had 0). Although Chicago and Atlanta are two of the few cities that have all four major pro sports teams playing within the city limits (others? DC? Philly? Denver?).

kruzer31
02-07-2007, 12:50 AM
I, too, was hardly upset. I was expecting the loss, not anything against the Bears but was just thought the Colts the superior team. That and being just 22, I was happy enough to see the Bears in a Super Bowl for the first time (not remembering when I was 20 months old).

As for the last statement, Atlanta has all four sports, but the only interesting/good team to me is the Thrashers; the exact opposite of Chicago (everything but hockey). That and the entire history of the city has seen one pro sports title (1996 Braves), whereas since Super Bowl XX, Chicago has 8 (Bears 1, Sox 1, Bulls 6), no city having more in that time period (21 years previous, Chicago had 0). Although Chicago and Atlanta are two of the few cities that have all four major pro sports teams playing within the city limits (others? DC? Philly? Denver?).

No city having more titles in the 21 years since the 85 Bears? I am sure there are other cities that do.

NY Mets in 86, NY Giants in 86 and 91, Yankees won 4, NY Rangers won a cup since 85, so maybe a tie there?? 8 to 8

kruzer31
02-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Other Cities with 4 major market teams

NY Giants/Jets, NY Yankees/Mets, NYRangers/Islanders, NYKnicks

Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, NE Patriots

Det Tigers, Lions, Pistons, Redwings

Minnesosta Twins, Vikings, TWolves, Wild

Arizona DBacks, Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Coyotes, Arizona Cards

Jeff

Murphy10
02-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I still have those number four Wisconsin Badgers to help me get over the bears loss!!

siugrad25
02-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I have the warm weather (just kidding). With working for a sports department at a newspaper I have enough spring training/Daytona 500/Honda Classic stuff to get me over the Bears. On Monday I wore my 2005 White Sox hat to work and said it was time again to honor Chicago's last winner. :smile:

Hitmen77
02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Although Chicago and Atlanta are two of the few cities that have all four major pro sports teams playing within the city limits (others? DC? Philly? Denver?).

Other Cities with 4 major market teams

NY Giants/Jets, NY Yankees/Mets, NYRangers/Islanders, NYKnicks

Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, NE Patriots

Det Tigers, Lions, Pistons, Redwings

Minnesosta Twins, Vikings, TWolves, Wild

Arizona DBacks, Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Coyotes, Arizona Cards

Jeff

Actually, many of these teams don't play within the city limits of their respective cities. Wikipedia has a good page that lists all the US cities with teams in all 4 major sports (13 cities in all) and also lists the ones that have a team from each of the 4 sports playing within the city limits: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, and Philadelphia. Special mention is Minneapolis/St. Paul where 3 teams play in Minneapolis and one plays in St. Paul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._cities_with_teams_from_four_major_sports

Until the 1990s, there were alot fewer metro areas that had a 4 sports. Of course, L.A. is no longer on the list since the Rams and Raiders left after '94.

GoSox2K3
02-07-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm sorry to see the Bears lose, but I'm still basking in the glow of the Sox winning the World Series 15 months ago.

To be honest, a part of me likes the idea that the Sox are still Chicago's most recent world champions. A Bears win would have more quickly pushed aside the Sox's triumph from Chicago's memory.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see the Bears win the Super Bowl. Hopefully next year they'll be a little better, more experienced, and more prepared.