PDA

View Full Version : Thomas being selfish?

RedPinStripes
03-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Just heard on mlb radio that Thomas doesn't want to be a DH. He wants to play more 1b. Is it me? or did Frank say a few years ago that he wanted to be a dh? I think this has to do with him getting passed up for theMVP in 2000. Konerko is a much better defender then Thomas. I personally think this is all about Frank and his MVP. Think Konerko is going to want to be a DH at 27? I doubt it.

TimChamp
03-14-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Just heard on mlb radio that Thomas doesn't want to be a DH. He wants to play more 1b. Is it me? or did Frank say a few years ago that he wanted to be a dh? I think this has to do with him getting passed up for theMVP in 2000. Konerko is a much better defender then Thomas. I personally think this is all about Frank and his MVP. Think Konerko is going to want to be a DH at 27? I doubt it.

Well, it's been proven that Frank is MUCH BETTER at hitting when he plays 1st base (.336 BA), than as a hitter as a DH (.291)...unless his defense completely sucks, then put Paul back there and unless Paul's offensive numbers struggle as a result, then put him back there...but IF that doesn't happen, then I say let Frank play first, I mean, he's not that bad and in fact, one advantage from him is that he stretches for balls, which Konerko just doesn't do...And I also think that playing first base keeps you in the game, rather than playing DH and Frank loses focus when he doesn't play in the field, IMHO...

voodoochile
03-14-2002, 03:57 PM
They can split time with the other one being the DH on a given day. Neither one of them is a great defender as it is, so it isn't like we are benching Mark Grace.

Besides, if Frank hits better and it hurts Paul's arbitration casae it might end up helping the Sox come negotiation time...

baggio202
03-14-2002, 03:57 PM

thats from the san diego announcer...this guy is a moron..i really think he is talking about what thomas said last year...frank already said this year he doesnt care where he plays..dh or 1b..

idseer
03-14-2002, 04:13 PM
if i was manager (guess you all are glad i'm NOT!) i'd hide thomas's glove.
i wouldn't care what he said, he'd be my permanent DH and like it.
fewer chances for injury and i believe once he realized he was no longer a firstbaseman he'd hit every bit as well.

TimChamp
03-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by idseer
fewer chances for injury and i believe once he realized he was no longer a firstbaseman he'd hit every bit as well.

HEHEHE...yeah, hide his glove, that'll work...IMHO, Frank and Konerko should split time at 1st base, every other day or something...I think that would work best...

RichH55
03-14-2002, 05:03 PM

I say we go with a team of the best fielders posible who hit circa .120...then we can play deadball era type baseball....YEAH! Or we could actually look at the times, eh? Would playing Frank every once and awhile at 1B kill us?

baggio202
03-14-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

I say we go with a team of the best fielders posible who hit circa .120...then we can play deadball era type baseball....YEAH! Or we could actually look at the times, eh? Would playing Frank every once and awhile at 1B kill us?

thomas has to play first in interleague games so im sure he will get his fair share of games at first..probably 30-35

HawkDJ
03-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Thomas said "If Paul needs a rest, I'll be there." I haven't heard him actually request to be a 1b so I don't know if that is true or not.

CubKilla
03-14-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp

HEHEHE...yeah, hide his glove, that'll work...IMHO, Frank and Konerko should split time at 1st base, every other day or something...I think that would work best...

Or you can sign Ruben Rivera and he can steal Frank's glove.

duke of dorwood
03-15-2002, 08:37 AM
He's gotta be ready to play some in NL games. That's about it. With our pitching, we cant afford to weaken the defense in any way.

foulkesfan11
03-15-2002, 08:53 AM
If I were in Konerko's shoes, I wouldn't want to be just a DH either. They should have them take turns & see who plays better at 1st this year & then decide. Konerko has improved at 1st over the last 2 years.

RedPinStripes
03-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
If I were in Konerko's shoes, I wouldn't want to be just a DH either. They should have them take turns & see who plays better at 1st this year & then decide. Konerko has improved at 1st over the last 2 years.

The only real advantage i see that Konerko has in the field is he can throw much better and turn a sweet 3-6-3.

RichH55
03-15-2002, 02:17 PM

The only real advantage i see that Konerko has in the field is he can throw much better and turn a sweet 3-6-3.

And I don't think that makes the biggest difference in the world(though always nice to have)...but let Frank have a few games, no big deal

idseer
03-15-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

And I don't think that makes the biggest difference in the world(though always nice to have)...but let Frank have a few games, no big deal

my major concern is his health. imo he's at that point where it doesn't take much to injure some little (or big) thing.
can you tell me you won't wince if he ever has to dive for another grounder?

i appreciate that in the interleague games many think that in the NL parks he should be on first ... but at what expense? konerko has to sit!
i see nothing wrong with letting him just pinchhit in these games.
we don't lose much starting konerko and maybe gain in giving thomas a little rest. and isn't it nice to bring up thomas in a crucial spot?

FarmerAndy
03-15-2002, 03:56 PM

i appreciate that in the interleague games many think that in the NL parks he should be on first ... but at what expense? konerko has to sit!
i see nothing wrong with letting him just pinchhit in these games.
we don't lose much starting konerko and maybe gain in giving thomas a little rest. and isn't it nice to bring up thomas in a crucial spot?

That's crazy. Think about it for a minute. We play in National League Parks from June 14th through June 23rd. Are you telling me you would keep Thomas on the bench as a pinch hitter for 9 straight games? I don't think that'll happen.

idseer
03-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

That's crazy. Think about it for a minute. We play in National League Parks from June 14th through June 23rd. Are you telling me you would keep Thomas on the bench as a pinch hitter for 9 straight games? I don't think that'll happen.

you're probably right, if that's the case. but i'd sit him 4 or 5 of them i think. do you think we'd lose that much having thomas sit as opposed to konerko tho? one of em HAS to sit.

voodoochile
03-15-2002, 04:37 PM

you're probably right, if that's the case. but i'd sit him 4 or 5 of them i think. do you think we'd lose that much having thomas sit as opposed to konerko tho? one of em HAS to sit.

You sit Konehead for the following reasons...

1)It gives you an upgrade defensively in the late innings to put in.

2)Thomas has earned the right to start every game the Sox play because of his past history and his ability to change the game simply by being in the lineup.

3)If Thomas has a Big Hurt type year, he will be a much better hitter than Konehead and Franks ability to get on base at a .450 clip will make the guys who follow him that much more productive - something Konerko cannot do.

4)Konehead is a better PH than Thomas, especially late in games.

5)Thomas would take it more to heart - don't want to do anything that might damage his ability to tear the cover off the ball for the whole season. (I know this one is a crappy reason from a team perspective, but who would you rather have go in a funk, Konehead or Thomas? Who is more likely to go in a funk from getting benched?)

idseer
03-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

You sit Konehead for the following reasons...

1)It gives you an upgrade defensively in the late innings to put in.

2)Thomas has earned the right to start every game the Sox play because of his past history and his ability to change the game simply by being in the lineup.

3)If Thomas has a Big Hurt type year, he will be a much better hitter than Konehead and Franks ability to get on base at a .450 clip will make the guys who follow him that much more productive - something Konerko cannot do.

4)Konehead is a better PH than Thomas, especially late in games.

5)Thomas would take it more to heart - don't want to do anything that might damage his ability to tear the cover off the ball for the whole season. (I know this one is a crappy reason from a team perspective, but who would you rather have go in a funk, Konehead or Thomas? Who is more likely to go in a funk from getting benched?)

5 good points! mostly #5. and konerko wouldn't have much room to argue the matter or be upset about it.