PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 AL prospects

CashMan
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
http://rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLB&columnid=2&articleid=27715

caulfield12
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Ray Liotta (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=4248), Robert Valido (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=97), Chris Getz, Francisco Hernandez (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=4124), Casey Rogowski (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=709), Brandon Allen aren't even in our Top 15. That's a good sign of our increasing depth.

We also have Rasner (Rangers), Carlos Vasquez, John Lujan (Rangers), Angel Gonzalez, Pedro Lopez, Heath Phillips, Corwin Malone, P. Reynoso, etc. Not to mention the Asian pitcher we signed and the infamous Anderson Gomes.

Domeshot17
02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Hasn't Corwin Malone hit the point where prospect is no longer applicable, and career minor leaguer is?

rdivaldi
02-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Hasn't Corwin Malone hit the point where prospect is no longer applicable, and career minor leaguer is?

Pretty much. I think we can lump him together with Rob Purvis and Wyatt Allen.

No mention of Kris Honel, eh? If his elbow is healthy, he'll be our third best pitching prospect going into 2008.

caulfield12
02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm going to guess that Corwin Malone has more of a chance to impact the 2007 ballclub as a LOOGY than Kris Honel as a starter or mop-up.

The odds aren't very good, 1 in 25 at best, but Logan jumped from A ball (as did Radinsky), so anything is possible. If Sisco and Logan don't perform and they still want a 2nd lefty (see 2006 ST), then there aren't any clear-cut favorites.

BobbyJenks4Prez
02-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm going to guess that Corwin Malone has more of a chance to impact the 2007 ballclub as a LOOGY than Kris Honel as a starter or mop-up.

The odds aren't very good, 1 in 25 at best, but Logan jumped from A ball (as did Radinsky), so anything is possible. If Sisco and Logan don't perform and they still want a 2nd lefty (see 2006 ST), then there aren't any clear-cut favorites.

is honel all healthy and ready to go again?? i know hes been injured. i actually heard he jus dropped out of baseball cuz it got that bad. do we still have him under any of our minor league organizations?? it'd be a great success story if he could come back and show any type of promise...

caulfield12
02-06-2007, 07:32 PM
saw this on the soxtalk board...

I checked on Honel just the other day, because there has been some mystery about his health. Turns out he has had surgery to repair a partially torn ligament in his elbow and isn't expected back before about June (2007)of next year. He did not require Tommy John but did have medical issues, which in a way is almost good news. It gives him an explanation for his inability to stay on the mound in recent years, and could help his approach when he returns. Honel is one of those guys who, for whatever reason, had more velocity in high school than the pros, and in hindsight probably looks like an overdraft by the White Sox.

Daver
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
saw this on the soxtalk board...

I checked on Honel just the other day, because there has been some mystery about his health. Turns out he has had surgery to repair a partially torn ligament in his elbow and isn't expected back before about June (2007)of next year. He did not require Tommy John but did have medical issues, which in a way is almost good news. It gives him an explanation for his inability to stay on the mound in recent years, and could help his approach when he returns. Honel is one of those guys who, for whatever reason, had more velocity in high school than the pros, and in hindsight probably looks like an overdraft by the White Sox.

Phil Rogers posted this here two months ago.

caulfield12
02-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Phil Rogers posted this here two months ago.

Okay...well, it's there again I guess.

I know he's become the "Mark Prior" of the Sox organization with lots of whispers 2-3 years ago that his problems were all psychological (like the Frank Thomas/David Wells nonsense).

Daver
02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Okay...well, it's there again I guess.

I know he's become the "Mark Prior" of the Sox organization with lots of whispers 2-3 years ago that his problems were all psychological (like the Frank Thomas/David Wells nonsense).

Not according to Kirk Champion in an interview from two years ago, I'd post a link but I just checked and it's dead, but he basically said Honel's delivery was flawed, and he hurt himself trying to change, and then was tardy in reporting his injury to the training staff, which further complicated the issue.

caulfield12
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Not according to Kirk Champion in an interview from two years ago, I'd post a link but I just checked and it's dead, but he basically said Honel's delivery was flawed, and he hurt himself trying to change, and then was tardy in reporting his injury to the training staff, which further complicated the issue.

Didn't he end up hurting himself trying to get extra velocity on his fastball?

Daver
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Didn't he end up hurting himself trying to get extra velocity on his fastball?

Not from what I have read, he didn't throw a fastball much in HS anyway.

SoxxoS
02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Its all about the knuckle curve.

caulfield12
02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Its all about the knuckle curve.

Like Jason Bere and the dreaded "fosch" ball.

Daver
02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Like Jason Bere and the dreaded "fosch" ball.

Honel's curve is legit, I watched him strike out the side in three consecutive innings with it his senior year of HS. Granted, he was facing HS hitters, but he was not that much of a reach as a first round pick.

DrCrawdad
02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
LHP Carlos Vasquez -- In 15 regular-season appearances with the Navegantes del Magallanes, Aguilas del Zulia and Caribes de Oriente, Vasquez went 2-0 with a 6.32 ERA. The 24-year-old southpaw allowed 12 runs (11 earned) on 13 hits over 15 2/3 innings.

:o:

YIKES!!!

caulfield12
02-07-2007, 08:14 AM
I think it's fair to say VASQUEZ is not the front-runner for the loogy spot.

A lot of people have been hyping Oneli Perez, who unfortunately is a RHP. After Sisco, we have Phillips, Reynoso, Vasquez and then Danks, Gio, Malone and Whisler.

Since Danks and Gio will be starting (unless one of them really turns heads and goes into the Buehrle/McCarthy role) in AA, Whisler and Malone would be the other two names to watch.

Bukvich and Sierra have nice arms (lots of other issues), Russell could be a good one someday as well.