PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't JR write a letter like this?

caulfield12
02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
To the fans about the trades of Garcia and McCarthy?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9971290

itsnotrequired
02-03-2007, 10:36 AM

The trades of McCarthy and Garcia aren't nearly as controversial as the Bonds situation. These trades are justified on their own; Reinsdorf doesn't need to write a letter to anyone.

munchman33
02-03-2007, 11:33 AM

Because the vast majority of White Sox fans are intelligent people who understand baseball and don't take their cues from media hotheads/blue kool-aid drinking cheerleaders.

chaerulez
02-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Writing a letter to try and justify the resigning of the games biggest jerk, cheater, and lair and basically try to dumb down your fanbase is different than explaining two trades where the jury is still out if they have a positive or negative effect on the team.

downstairs
02-03-2007, 12:02 PM

Because he's busy running a team that is not only in the toughest division in all of baseball, but one that has a legitimate shot at a championship.

caulfield12
02-03-2007, 12:47 PM
I just can't see how it would hurt, I know it's not his style...he usually lets Williams speak for him, but it would be a nice gesture. Just to reassure the fans that have ponied up for season tickets that the team will be taking a different approach but has no plan to go back to a $65-80 million dollar payroll, especially when the fans have come out in full force to support the team.

I guess it doesn't matter, won't happen.

itsnotrequired
02-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I just can't see how it would hurt, I know it's not his style...he usually lets Williams speak for him, but it would be a nice gesture. Just to reassure the fans that have ponied up for season tickets that the team will be taking a different approach but has no plan to go back to a $65-80 million dollar payroll, especially when the fans have come out in full force to support the team.

IIRC, Reinsdorf sends a letter to all the season ticket holders at the start of the season.

Steelrod
02-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Now that you have said it, I imagine JR qould not argue with your paragraph!

DumpJerry
02-03-2007, 03:05 PM
He does not have to write a letter because there is absolutely no reason to do so.

Why don't you ask this for every transaction the Sox make? Poor Jerry's arm would fall off.

caulfield12
02-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I think there is a "reasonable" amount of concern in the fanbase. Not after the Garcia trade, but after the McCarthy one and rumors of the Garland-Astros deal that eventually fell apart. That and the now very real possibility that Buehrle and Dye will be gone and Crede a year later. If we sign Buehrle, Dye or Crede, then no letter is necessary, to me.

This is different than picking up Luis Terrero, Spivey or trading Ross Gload. That's obvious to anyone who follows baseball. These pitching trades possibly even transcend the number of visitors you would see at this site if Aaron Rowand was ever reacquired.

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I think there is a "reasonable" amount of concern in the fanbase. Not after the Garcia trade, but after the McCarthy one and rumors of the Garland-Astros deal that eventually fell apart. That and the now very real possibility that Buehrle and Dye will be gone and Crede a year later. If we sign Buehrle, Dye or Crede, then no letter is necessary, to me.

This is different than picking up Luis Terrero, Spivey or trading Ross Gload. That's obvious to anyone who follows baseball. These pitching trades possibly even transcend the number of visitors you would see at this site if Aaron Rowand was ever reacquired.
The fan base isn't in full revolt, but I think we're anxious. And as said, a good 2007 that returns us to the playoffs will heal all wounds and will bring Buerhle back to a Sox uniform. But it isn't JR style to do that. I get the feeling that he figures it's his team and he doesn't have to answer to anyone.

UserNameBlank
02-03-2007, 05:07 PM

I see what you are saying but the thing is, in today's baseball every franchise is always a year or two or less away from possibly losing a key component. With 25 men on a roster and 17 of them playing very important parts a smart organization has to always be looking ahead through clear, realisitic glasses. Organizations know players get injured, seasons go up and down, market rates change, and knowing such prefer to sign free agents and soon-to-be free agents to shorter contracts to protect themselves. Smart GM's like our GM at least makes sure we have our entire core together until a certain year (2007) to go along with good looking young players coming up through the system.

If JR needs to write anything to anyone it should be congratulations to Jim Hendry for his future midseason resignation. JR has let his GM do what he does best and I'm sure if the '07 Sox perform the way they should and go deep into the playoffs he will significantly shorten that list of possible departures (which by then will include Garland, AJ, Iguchi, etc.), and maybe even add an Ichiro or something too.

DumpJerry
02-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I know a ton of White Sox who don't post here (they think I'll ban them). Not a single one is concerned about the Garcia, McCarthy or Garland close call. I sense panic among about a dozen and half of WSI posters. The rest of us are confident they know what they are doing-they have access to more information about the players than we do.

The signing of Toby Hall has made me very excited for '07. No joke. His signing is larger than what most fans realize.

This is why he does not need to spend money sending letters to us.

However, if he did, it would just have to say "We gave up two arms and some utility guys and got eight arms.":bandance:

itsnotrequired
02-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I know a ton of White Sox who don't post here (they think I'll ban them). Not a single one is concerned about the Garcia, McCarthy or Garland close call. I sense panic among about a dozen and half of WSI posters. The rest of us are confident they know what they are doing-they have access to more information about the players than we do.

The signing of Toby Hall has made me very excited for '07. No joke. His signing is larger than what most fans realize.

This is why he does not need to spend money sending letters to us.

However, if he did, it would just have to say "We gave up two arms and some utility guys and got eight arms.":bandance:

As excited as I am about the signing of all the young arms, the Toby Hall signing is clearly the highlight of the offseason. A great addition. Widger had a solid '05 season but '06 was forgettable.

jabrch
02-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I sense panic among about a dozen and half of WSI posters. The rest of us are confident they know what they are doing-they have access to more information about the players than we do.

Well said DJ. Very well said.

If JR was to write a letter about those trades it could easily say, "We made this team much stronger in the long run, and didn't weaken it for this year. In fact, unless you were penciling McCarthy or Garcia in for much more than 4.50/1.25 and 225 IP, the odds are pretty good we won't lose anything. For that, we have 2 of the top 3 LH Pitching prospects in baseball, plus a few other very strong arms and they essentially gave up one guy they had no interest in resigning and another whom they had soured on based on his performance last year. So season ticket holders, your tickets will be worth more to you today AND tomorrow thanks to the work KW did this offseason."

But JR won't write a letter explaining one individual move or two moves to the fans because that's not what smart management does. You don't go out justifying what you do. You do the right thing, and hope it works out right. The McGowans have a terrible team that they are putting on the field next year. They were forced to give nearly 20mm to the games most hated cheater because they have no other playing options. They signed a terrible contract to Zito just to lure fans from the other side of the bay. They overpaid an always injured old CF. All of this and they still look like a distant third place to the Dodgers and Padres.

ondafarm
02-04-2007, 01:24 AM
I don't think JR has to justify these trades. The Bonds situation is much more controversial even here in the Bay Area.

ewokpelts
02-04-2007, 04:59 AM

because he didnt sign a cheater

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 05:48 AM
Well said DJ. Very well said.

If JR was to write a letter about those trades it could easily say, "We made this team much stronger in the long run, and didn't weaken it for this year. In fact, unless you were penciling McCarthy or Garcia in for much more than 4.50/1.25 and 225 IP, the odds are pretty good we won't lose anything. For that, we have 2 of the top 3 LH Pitching prospects in baseball, plus a few other very strong arms and they essentially gave up one guy they had no interest in resigning and another whom they had soured on based on his performance last year. So season ticket holders, your tickets will be worth more to you today AND tomorrow thanks to the work KW did this offseason."

But JR won't write a letter explaining one individual move or two moves to the fans because that's not what smart management does. You don't go out justifying what you do. You do the right thing, and hope it works out right. The McGowans have a terrible team that they are putting on the field next year. They were forced to give nearly 20mm to the games most hated cheater because they have no other playing options. They signed a terrible contract to Zito just to lure fans from the other side of the bay. They overpaid an always injured old CF. All of this and they still look like a distant third place to the Dodgers and Padres.

I'm not going to rehash the 5th starter's spot argument. That has been done ad infinitum.

KW has consistently said we need to get younger and faster, more athletic. There are 13-14 players on our 25 man (projected) at or above age 30 now.

The only concern I have is whether KW will actually have the guts to go into 2008 with Fields, Anderson, Sweeney, a new SS and 2B...all in the same starting line-up. I think if we don't make the playoffs, we do need to get younger and truly rebuild....that it will be almost impossible to continue to compete at our current level (in 2008) without Buehrle and Dye, and possible Crede. He's in a tricky position....play .500 ball (or slightly better/worse) and you lose your season ticket base/revenue streams and have to readjust downwards. Not to $65-70 million, but $80-90/95 range.

If that doomsday scenario happens, you almost have no reason to have Konerko, Thome, Contreras, Vazquez and Garland around for those 2 years while you're rebuilding. Theoretically, you're trying to replicate the late 80's Braves and Marlins and bring young pitching together in a mass or wave at the same time. So I am all for KW getting the highest possible return for the remaining talent and going young...IF, IF, IF we don't get to the playoffs this season and the gap between the Sox and Tigers/Indians/Twins is not bridgeable with minor tinkering, like this offseason, or adding Blum in 2005.

KW's really stuck in a corner...to get better, the only commodity he has to deal is young pitching or Fields. He can't deal Fields until the Crede situation is resolved. There are lingering question marks around Pods, Contreras, Buehrle, Anderson and Uribe (probably the Top 5 concerns, or perhaps Vazquez in there too). We have Danks/Gio/Floyd/Haeger/Broadway/McCullogh. Odds are that only one or two of those guys will be impact major league pitchers (I'm not even going to argue they are 1/2/3 starters instead of back-of-the rotation guys, especially our Sox prospects).

We're fine RIGHT now, but any injuries to the pitching staff, or non-performance, and you're really in a bind. We had that insurance last year and didn't use it on a Soriano. I doubt Soriano would have put us over the top...maybe KW had a sense that nothing would have fixed the pitching last year and he just played out the hand he was dealt.

I wish JR would just be a little more proactive...more willing to admit he might be wrong and that the calculated gambles don't always work out. Not like Cuban, but someone like Arte Moreno in California. For instance, if we do end up rebuilding, something tells me it will be difficult for KW/JR/OG to admit they were wrong....and to lower ticket prices accordingly as a token of appreciation to the fans. You go to a Dodgers game, the prices are very similar to a Royals' game here in KC. I've never been convinced that they wouldn't have better attendance and attract even more "OVERALL" fans if they took this approach. They're relying on the 80/20 rule. 80% of attendance is made up of those same 20% of people...not the ones who go once or twice or on discount/family days. However, without a winning team or patience on the part of the fans (always in short supply), the season ticket base will dry up more quickly on the SouthSide. We all know Sox fans support winners more than they do individual players. So it will be interesting to see how it plays out. And if KW ever admits the Vazquez move was a mistake, in hindsight.

IndianWhiteSox
02-04-2007, 08:59 AM
He does not have to write a letter because there is absolutely no reason to do so.

Why don't you ask this for every transaction the Sox make? Poor Jerry's arm would fall off.

He has a secretary to type up those letters!:redneck

UserNameBlank
02-04-2007, 09:10 AM
I wish JR would just be a little more proactive...more willing to admit he might be wrong and that the calculated gambles don't always work out. Not like Cuban, but someone like Arte Moreno in California. For instance, if we do end up rebuilding, something tells me it will be difficult for KW/JR/OG to admit they were wrong....and to lower ticket prices accordingly as a token of appreciation to the fans. You go to a Dodgers game, the prices are very similar to a Royals' game here in KC. I've never been convinced that they wouldn't have better attendance and attract even more "OVERALL" fans if they took this approach. They're relying on the 80/20 rule. 80% of attendance is made up of those same 20% of people...not the ones who go once or twice or on discount/family days. However, without a winning team or patience on the part of the fans (always in short supply), the season ticket base will dry up more quickly on the SouthSide. We all know Sox fans support winners more than they do individual players. So it will be interesting to see how it plays out. And if KW ever admits the Vazquez move was a mistake, in hindsight.

We will wnd up rebuilding eventually. But if we end up rebuilding as soon as 2008 it will be because the 2007 team didn't do their job. If the '07 squad wins another WS or at least gets deep into the playoffs, JR will open up the checkbook.

Besides, if the '07 team sucks and the Sox have to rebuild in 2008, I would think more fans would be happy that KW traded McCarthy and Garcia when he did and at least got a couple of pieces that could help out with the rebuilding immediately in 2008.

Also, KW will not admit the Vazquez move as a mistake unless Chris Young turns into a regular 30/30 CF. And even then KW would still be able to justify the trade since Young wasn't ready at the time and Vazquez was supposed to make the Sox staff the most dominant rotation in baseball.

SOXSINCE'70
02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
He has a secretary to type up those letters!:redneck

I hear KW can type more than 30 WPM.:roflmao: :roflmao:
Or would that be Rick Hahn's department??:rolling::rolling:

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Well, the only mistake was thinking Anderson was ready, and not having a back-up plan.

It wasn't trading Young, in and of itself, because KW trusted his instincts, which backfired last year with BA.

I do think the McCarthy deal will be closely scrutinized, especially if Floyd struggles or and Brandon is pitching well in Texas. The last time I can remember a similar situation was Ritchie in 2002, with Wells and Fogg and even Lowe all doing very well with the Pirates while Todd was falling apart after a decent start (albeit no run support).

I have no problem with the Garcia deal.

KW liked the odds of three quality arms having more of an impact than one...actually, we now have four from the Rangers for essentially McCarthy, because Stewart was doomed in this organization by the Hall deal.

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 09:30 AM
We will wnd up rebuilding eventually. But if we end up rebuilding as soon as 2008 it will be because the 2007 team didn't do their job. If the '07 squad wins another WS or at least gets deep into the playoffs, JR will open up the checkbook.

Besides, if the '07 team sucks and the Sox have to rebuild in 2008, I would think more fans would be happy that KW traded McCarthy and Garcia when he did and at least got a couple of pieces that could help out with the rebuilding immediately in 2008.

Also, KW will not admit the Vazquez move as a mistake unless Chris Young turns into a regular 30/30 CF. And even then KW would still be able to justify the trade since Young wasn't ready at the time and Vazquez was supposed to make the Sox staff the most dominant rotation in baseball.

You also have the possibility of trading Buerhle, Dye, Crede, Vazquez, Garland, Contreras, AJ, Konerko, Thome or Iguchi at the break if we're in a similar position to the Indians last year in June and July.

At any rate, it will be a very interesting season for Sox fans and GM observers.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
First, let's state the obvious. 99 percent of what an owner writes publicly was written for him by somebody else. With Magowan's blessings, somebody in the Giants front office wrote that letter in Magowan's name.

Now let's state what ought to be obvious after 26 years of Reinsdorf ownership. Jerry Reinsdorf has congenital foot-in-mouth disease. If there is any way for Jerry Reinsdorf to say something that makes a bad situation seem even worse, chances are he'll figure out precisely how to make it so. His GM seems to be taking lessons at his knee, too, but that's another story...

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, because most club owners let others with knowledge and experience in the ways of public relations become the owner's coach and confidante for such matters. For whatever reason, Reinsdorf doesn't fit that sort of mold. I won't even speculate why. I'll just note there are dozens of examples of Reinsdorf's foot-in-mouth disease and I'm guessing any other Sox Fan could cite a dozen or more, too.

The Reinsdorf P.R. gaffes have subsided the last few years and I might guess any of several reasons why this is true. The Sox won a championship, Brooks Boyer is more savvy than his predecessor, Reinsdorf has gotten older and wiser, etcetera, etcetera...

My point is this: The LESS Jerry Reinsdorf has to say on any subject and the MORE the official voice of the White Sox is somebody other than Jerry Reinsdorf, the better off the Sox are.

The man won Chicago its first baseball championship in 88 years, so I have no beefs with him. However he needs to just continue being the man behind the curtain while those he hired and trusts are allowed to form the public face to the ballclub.

Oh, and Magowan is mostly seeking the glory of having his own name in headlines writing a silly letter like that one. His ballclub just re-signed a cheat and a probable felony perjurer. He is simply covering his own ass.
:cool:

Brian26
02-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I know a ton of White Sox who don't post here (they think I'll ban them). Not a single one is concerned about the Garcia, McCarthy or Garland close call. I sense panic among about a dozen and half of WSI posters.

Wait until next year's offseason.

People will probably be jumping off buildings.

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 10:42 AM
First, let's state the obvious. 99 percent of what an owner writes publicly was written for him by somebody else. With Magowan's blessings, somebody in the Giants front office wrote that letter in Magowan's name.

Now let's state what ought to be obvious after 26 years of Reinsdorf ownership. Jerry Reinsdorf has congenital foot-in-mouth disease. If there is any way for Jerry Reinsdorf to say something that makes a bad situation seem even worse, chances are he'll figure out precisely how to make it so. His GM seems to be taking lessons at his knee, too, but that's another story...

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, because most club owners let others with knowledge and experience in the ways of public relations become the owner's coach and confidante for such matters. For whatever reason, Reinsdorf doesn't fit that sort of mold. I won't even speculate why. I'll just note there are dozens of examples of Reinsdorf's foot-in-mouth disease and I'm guessing any other Sox Fan could cite a dozen or more, too.

The Reinsdorf P.R. gaffes have subsided the last few years and I might guess any of several reasons why this is true. The Sox won a championship, Brooks Boyer is more savvy than his predecessor, Reinsdorf has gotten older and wiser, etcetera, etcetera...

My point is this: The LESS Jerry Reinsdorf has to say on any subject and the MORE the official voice of the White Sox is somebody other than Jerry Reinsdorf, the better off the Sox are.

The man won Chicago its first baseball championship in 88 years, so I have no beefs with him. However he needs to just continue being the man behind the curtain while those he hired and trusts are allowed to form the public face to the ballclub.

Oh, and Magowan is mostly seeking the glory of having his own name in headlines writing a silly letter like that one. His ballclub just re-signed a cheat and a probable felony perjurer. He is simply covering his own ass.
:cool:

Fair enough...but I just wish he'd learn to adapt a little, as Steinbrenner has with Torre and Cashman.

The main saving grace with both KW and JR and OG is winning, and bringing a championship to town. A lot was forgiven with that moment.

And we all know how KW has such a burning desire to win and prove the naysayers wrong, sometimes to his own detriment. All things considered, that maverick attitude is what got rid of the Bevington's and Manuel's finally and caused him to go with his gut and pick Ozzie over Gaston and other "recycled" managers. KW usually doesn't make the same mistake twice.

UserNameBlank
02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
You also have the possibility of trading Buerhle, Dye, Crede, Vazquez, Garland, Contreras, AJ, Konerko, Thome or Iguchi at the break if we're in a similar position to the Indians last year in June and July.

At any rate, it will be a very interesting season for Sox fans and GM observers.

I really don't think any of that is possible. With the Sox team as it is, only several big injuries will keep the Sox from sticking within 5 or 6 games of 1st all year. If one of Thome/Konerko/Dye goes down PLUS one of Buehrle/Vazquez/Contreras/Garland goes down PLUS our bullpen sucks AND LF/CF is an issue again, only then will the Sox be doomed IMO.

If someone of Jenks-Thornton-MacDougal-Aardsma-Sisco-Masset gets hurt we have Heager, Logan, Tracey, and whoever else we may invite to camp in AAA with at least bried Major League experience.

If one of our 3-4-5 hitters go down we have Fields in AAA who could DH or play LF, Sweeney in AAA for RF, and we still have a potent 3-4-5 with 2 of those 3 plus Crede.

If one of our starters goes down and, assuming Floyd is our no.5, we still have Phillips, Broadway, Danks, Gio, and Heager in AAA.

If the LF/CF situation is terrible again we have Anderson, Pods, Sweeney, Fields, Owens, Terrero, and Erstad to try out there in some combination plus as Ozzie mentioned a possible platoon of Ozuna and Mackowiak in LF.

Worst case scenario, all of the above happens, and midseason the Sox look something like this:

LF Sweeney
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
3B Crede
C Pierzynski
CF Anderson
DH Fields
SS Uribe

Rotation: Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Floyd, Danks
Pen: Jenks-Thornton-Aardsma-Logan-Tracey-Heager

Under my doomsday scenario, Pods doesn't recover and is DFA'd, Thome goes down for the year, Contreras goes down for the year, MacDougal goes down for the year, and Masset and Sisco get lit up. STILL, the Sox end up fielding a better team than Minnesota or KC and have a top three rotation and a back end of a bullpen that can compare to Detroit and Cleveland.

Now, if all these things happens AND everyone that the Sox bring up fails to perform, AND if all this happens prior to say July 15th, THEN the Sox might think of rebuilding. Otherwise KW will go for it.

On top of all that, the Sox have the pieces to make a deal.

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I really don't think any of that is possible. With the Sox team as it is, only several big injuries will keep the Sox from sticking within 5 or 6 games of 1st all year. If one of Thome/Konerko/Dye goes down PLUS one of Buehrle/Vazquez/Contreras/Garland goes down PLUS our bullpen sucks AND LF/CF is an issue again, only then will the Sox be doomed IMO.

If someone of Jenks-Thornton-MacDougal-Aardsma-Sisco-Masset gets hurt we have Heager, Logan, Tracey, and whoever else we may invite to camp in AAA with at least bried Major League experience.

If one of our 3-4-5 hitters go down we have Fields in AAA who could DH or play LF, Sweeney in AAA for RF, and we still have a potent 3-4-5 with 2 of those 3 plus Crede.

If one of our starters goes down and, assuming Floyd is our no.5, we still have Phillips, Broadway, Danks, Gio, and Heager in AAA.

If the LF/CF situation is terrible again we have Anderson, Pods, Sweeney, Fields, Owens, Terrero, and Erstad to try out there in some combination plus as Ozzie mentioned a possible platoon of Ozuna and Mackowiak in LF.

Worst case scenario, all of the above happens, and midseason the Sox look something like this:

LF Sweeney
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
3B Crede
C Pierzynski
CF Anderson
DH Fields
SS Uribe

Rotation: Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Floyd, Danks
Pen: Jenks-Thornton-Aardsma-Logan-Tracey-Heager

Under my doomsday scenario, Pods doesn't recover and is DFA'd, Thome goes down for the year, Contreras goes down for the year, MacDougal goes down for the year, and Masset and Sisco get lit up. STILL, the Sox end up fielding a better team than Minnesota or KC and have a top three rotation and a back end of a bullpen that can compare to Detroit and Cleveland.

Now, if all these things happens AND everyone that the Sox bring up fails to perform, AND if all this happens prior to say July 15th, THEN the Sox might think of rebuilding. Otherwise KW will go for it.

On top of all that, the Sox have the pieces to make a deal.

Forget Haeger, Logan, Tracey....Haeger is only insurance for starters, not the pen.

Fields has played LF for less than 2 weeks in actual game situations. Fields playing everyday is like Crede in 2002 and 2003...occasional power, lots of K's and a 7-8 hitter, not a middle of the order guy, not yet at least.

If Phillips starts for us this season, I think you have reached the doomsday scenario already.

If all those things do transpire, we finish behind Minnesota for sure and possibly in last place if Greinke, Alex Gordon and Billy Butler make the impacts some predict for them.

UserNameBlank
02-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Forget Haeger, Logan, Tracey....Haeger is only insurance for starters, not the pen.

Fields has played LF for less than 2 weeks in actual game situations. Fields playing everyday is like Crede in 2002 and 2003...occasional power, lots of K's and a 7-8 hitter, not a middle of the order guy, not yet at least.

If Phillips starts for us this season, I think you have reached the doomsday scenario already.

If all those things do transpire, we finish behind Minnesota for sure and possibly in last place if Greinke, Alex Gordon and Billy Butler make the impacts some predict for them.

The only way Phillips starts is if someone goes down and he has been impressive enough in AAA to warrant a callup before anyone else. If that were to happen I don't think you could automatically say we're doomed.

Tracey and Logan could conceivably come up to the Sox and post ERA's around 4 without giving up all of the runners they inherit. From the back of the pen, we've had worse from supposedly better pitchers just last year.

Obviously, no one wants to see that doomsday scenario lineup, but my point is we have depth on the bench and in AAA that we didn't have before. For the most part anyone we'd call up (Fields, Sweeney, Logan, Tracey, Danks, Gio) would be someone with a future in the Major Leagues, so if something drastic happened we wouldn't have to call up AAAA lifers. There is a chance that the players would have to call up would perform decently and surprise, and KW wouldn't be forced into a position where he had to overpay in a deal right away.

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 11:37 AM
The only way Phillips starts is if someone goes down and he has been impressive enough in AAA to warrant a callup before anyone else. If that were to happen I don't think you could automatically say we're doomed.

Tracey and Logan could conceivably come up to the Sox and post ERA's around 4 without giving up all of the runners they inherit. From the back of the pen, we've had worse from supposedly better pitchers just last year.

Obviously, no one wants to see that doomsday scenario lineup, but my point is we have depth on the bench and in AAA that we didn't have before. For the most part anyone we'd call up (Fields, Sweeney, Logan, Tracey, Danks, Gio) would be someone with a future in the Major Leagues, so if something drastic happened we wouldn't have to call up AAAA lifers. There is a chance that the players would have to call up would perform decently and surprise, and KW wouldn't be forced into a position where he had to overpay in a deal right away.

That's what happened last year. Anderson had no adequate replacement. Neither did Politte and Cotts...as Montero, Riske and Tracey were barely adequate.

Now whether Tracey or Logan will be better this year, or Floyd, well, that's the million dollar question, isn't it?

UserNameBlank
02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
That's what happened last year. Anderson had no adequate replacement. Neither did Politte and Cotts...as Montero, Riske and Tracey were barely adequate.

Now whether Tracey or Logan will be better this year, or Floyd, well, that's the million dollar question, isn't it?

You never know, but with the Sox SP depth at Chrlotte this year you'd have to think that both Tracey and Logan would spend the entire year at AAA as relievers. I couldn't stand LOgan last year but in all fairness he went from A ball to the bigs and then AAA. There was a lot of pressure on him and hopefully a full year in AAA will get him to the point where he can be a decnt reliever. Tracey not starting and getting used to always coming out of the pen should definitely help him.

Floyd does scare me though. I've only seen a couple of games he's pitched, and he's looked good in one and terrible in another, so who know what he will do.

veeter
02-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Because, IMO and apparently his, the trades made sense, and didn't need a lengthy explanation.

StillMissOzzie
02-09-2007, 02:28 AM
I know a ton of White Sox who don't post here (they think I'll ban them). Not a single one is concerned about the Garcia, McCarthy or Garland close call. I sense panic among about a dozen and half of WSI posters. The rest of us are confident they know what they are doing-they have access to more information about the players than we do....
:bandance:

So how many of the White Sox do you know that don't post here? Is it because they are busy getting ready for spring training? Or did you mean White Sox fans...? :redneck

SMO
:gulp: