PDA

View Full Version : How does Extra Innings work

downstairs
02-02-2007, 05:27 PM
(Disclaimer: I have DirecTV, so leave it doesn't matter if they go exclusive- which would be crappy anyway. Leave that discussion to another thread.)

I recently moved away from Chicago. Never been away before, never needed to worry about not seeing my White Sox. I'm considering getting Extra Innings.

How does it work... how many games might I get to see, realistically, here in New Orleans, LA? What, if anything, may be blacked out? Do I always get the pleasure of seeing Hawk and DJ?

I may actually not get it. Last year I decided to go pretty much all radio- which I can stream from mlb.com- because of our inept TV team.

Nevertheless, I'd like to know my options. I know its less than $200 for a season, which ain't half bad...

lumpyspun
02-02-2007, 05:52 PM
If it's anything like it has been in the past:
- You don't get ANY games that are played on FOX, WCIU, or WGN (best thing to do is go to whitesox.com and look at the TV schedule for the whole year and automatically subtract any FOX, WCIU, or WGN games)
- It's not always the home announcers, sometimes you get the other team's crew
- Sometimes random games aren't on even when they are playing on CSN-chicago

I would say in a week with 6 games you would get about 5 of them, and if there is a Saturday game on Fox, make that 4 of them. Overall, I have been pretty happy with it b/c you get all the other major league games too. But, when the Sox games aren't on I used to get real pissy (b/c often times WCIU would air a Friday game, Fox would do the Saturday game, and I would miss two or three games in a row)! Also, on the Extra Innings website they put out the broadcast schedule a month in advance so you can see how many Sox games are on during that month.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
(Disclaimer: I have DirecTV, so leave it doesn't matter if they go exclusive- which would be crappy anyway. Leave that discussion to another thread.)

I recently moved away from Chicago. Never been away before, never needed to worry about not seeing my White Sox. I'm considering getting Extra Innings.

How does it work... how many games might I get to see, realistically, here in New Orleans, LA? What, if anything, may be blacked out? Do I always get the pleasure of seeing Hawk and DJ?

I may actually not get it. Last year I decided to go pretty much all radio- which I can stream from mlb.com- because of our inept TV team.

Nevertheless, I'd like to know my options. I know its less than $200 for a season, which ain't half bad...

Lumpysum had a very good response. I would add the following:

Based on Bud Selig's Satanic blackout map (http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/astrodirt/discussion/419/), all games involving Houston and Texas will be blacked out on top of the Fox / ESPN Sunday night blackouts.
The MLB Gameday Audio has no blackouts and costs $14.95 / season.
I had MLB.TV (internet subscription) for a half a season. The video quality was good and I have DSL. I would imagine a faster cable line would give you even better video quality. The WGN and WCIU games are blacked out under the Extra Innings Package but you will be able to see the home or away broadcast on MLB.TV. The only White Sox games you will miss are games played during most Saturday afternoon games (Fox blackouts) and Sunday evenings (ESPN blackout).

I want Mags back
02-02-2007, 10:46 PM
what sent you down to Nawleans

MincHiaPettito
02-02-2007, 11:15 PM
You don\\\'t have to worry much about blackouts. You may get screwed out of a few WCIU games, but it\\\'s not necessarily true for every game, since it\\\'s very possible the other team\\\'s feed gets picked up (of course unless they are doing it on one of their local channels, like their version of WCIU). As far as which TV crew you\\\'ll get, I have no clue, I don\\\'t know how they determine it but they seem to mix it up. I think with MLB.TV you can pick your announcers.

Early on they show a free preview and release the schedules. You should check it out then. I had it a year and it wasn\\\'t as worth it to me since I live in Chicago, and I\\\'d be too busy to watch both the Sox and then some west coast game or enough to warrant the money, but I would definately get it if I moved, it would be a necessity for me

johnnyg83
02-03-2007, 02:04 AM
I get it and I would say you get 90% of the games. It's actually nice to hear some other announcers once in a while ... especially when they're giving love to the Sox or when they get shuut up.

A couple years ago whn BA had that 2 HR game in Seattle against Felix Rodriguez the announcers were just fawning all over Felix so much it was embarrasing and then BA took him deep to take the lead and the Seattle announcers were dumbstruck.

downstairs
02-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Ok, going to do a massive reply here...

I assume WGN shouldn't affect me because I get WGN Superstation, right? I'll get those games?

I assume FOX blackouts will, because they won't play a White Sox game down here unless something bizarre is happening.

I already have MLB.com gameday audio and love it. I love Farmer, so that's actually where I tune in to most games anyway- even when I was in Chicago.

As far as MLB.TV... I just hate streaming video on the computer... its just a thing... I have an ultra-fast connection, a ton of computers (I deal with computers for a living)... even have one near the TV that I *could* connect to it. But I just hate it. Its a no-go.

Thanks! Any more comments are welcome!

downstairs
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
what sent you down to Nawleans

Because I'm that crazy. I love the city, love the heat. New Orleans isn't for everyone, but I'm loving it down here. Don't miss the traffic and being 40+ miles from everything, either :cool: .

(Also: Don't believe everything you hear/see in the news about how bad things are down here. But, I won't hijack my own thread and turn it political...)

downstairs
02-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Based on Bud Selig's Satanic blackout map (http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/astrodirt/discussion/419/), all games involving Houston and Texas will be blacked out

Ha! I know... I love it! Here in New Orleans, we just love us some Astros and Rangers baseball. Can't get enough!

Actually, the cool thing is all my friends will be White Sox fans, because in all honesty there is zero baseball following down here... so I'm the importer of South Side love...

NDSox12
02-03-2007, 11:38 AM

I assume WGN shouldn't affect me because I get WGN Superstation, right? I'll get those games?

I assume FOX blackouts will, because they won't play a White Sox game down here unless something bizarre is happening.

I already have MLB.com gameday audio and love it. I love Farmer, so that's actually where I tune in to most games anyway- even when I was in Chicago.

As far as MLB.TV... I just hate streaming video on the computer... its just a thing... I have an ultra-fast connection, a ton of computers (I deal with computers for a living)... even have one near the TV that I *could* connect to it. But I just hate it. Its a no-go.

If you get WGN, you have nothing to worry about for those games. And even if you didn't, you would probably be able to get the other team's broadcast on Extra Innings. The only games you definitely won't get are the Saturday afternoon Fox games. Also, some of the WCIU games might not be available if the opponents broadcast isn't part of Extra Innings. Last season, I would estimate that I was able to get 95% of the Sox games through Extra Innings and/or WGN.

downstairs
02-03-2007, 01:01 PM
If you get WGN, you have nothing to worry about for those games. And even if you didn't, you would probably be able to get the other team's broadcast on Extra Innings. The only games you definitely won't get are the Saturday afternoon Fox games. Also, some of the WCIU games might not be available if the opponents broadcast isn't part of Extra Innings. Last season, I would estimate that I was able to get 95% of the Sox games through Extra Innings and/or WGN.

Its all good... I'm really not that picky... the streaming radio is really fine most of the time anyway...

In all honesty, I generally only turn on the TV when something big is happening...

lumpyspun
02-03-2007, 01:21 PM

Yea, like NDSox12 said...if you get WGN already, you win half the battle right there. Unfortunately for me, Seattle doesn't carry WGN, so I got screwed alot. I went back and counted the WCIU/Fox broadcasts last year from May 1st (for some reason the April schedule wasn't there) to the end of the year and found that 22% of the games were on those two channels. So, at worst you will get about 78% of the games, at best you will get about 85-90% (If they have a similar broadcast schedule this year).

I know what you mean about not liking to watch games on the computer, I'm the same way. I had some money to blow so I enjoyed Extra Innings for the most part.