PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Ray Berres

Lip Man 1
02-02-2007, 03:50 PM
First Johnny Sain and now this.

Good man...fabulous pitching coach.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070202soxberres,1,6163027.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

jackbrohamer
02-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Ray Berres became a legend while he was still an active coach, which not many people can say. RIP to a great White Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-02-2007, 07:30 PM
What Berres would do was stress mechanics.

And now you know what separates great pitching ballclubs like the Sox under guys like Berres back in the 50's and 60's from all the mediocre and long-time sucky ballclubs who don't stress pitching mechanics and can't win no matter how many blue-chip first round picks their lousy performance entitles them to sign.

RIP Ray Berres. You're one of the biggest reasons I'm a Sox Fan.

StatManDu
02-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Ray was a good friend of mine. I got to know him after moving to his hometown in 1987 where I have been ever since. He was a quiet, unassuming man who was humble to the very end. I would have posted something earlier but I was running down this story for the local paper. I talked to about a dozen people today about Ray and they all flowed.

I am proud to say I had a small part in getting Ray inducted into the State Hall of Fame back in 1999. Back then, I floated the idea of Ray landing in Cooperstown. Hopefully one day, Ray and other great and innovative coaches such as Walt Hriniak or Charlie Lau or Roger Craig are honored in Cooperstown. Same goes for scouts.

RIP Ray Berres. Proud to call you friend. Prouder of the way you lived your life.

flo-B-flo
02-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I heard this name a lot while watching Baseball with my Dad and Uncles...

RIP Mr.Berres..:(:

TornLabrum
02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
This is truly a sad day. Even as a kid I knew that Berres had to have a major role in creating those fabulous pitching staffs I grew up with. RIP Ray

MarySwiss
02-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Yep; one of the truly great Sox coaches. RIP.

cheezheadsoxfan
02-02-2007, 10:14 PM
This is truly a sad day. Even as a kid I knew that Berres had to have a major role in creating those fabulous pitching staffs I grew up with. RIP Ray

Same here. I was too young to totally understand the details but remember Ray seemed just as important as Al Lopez. RIP Ray.

Pete Ward
02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
RIP - good guy

tick53
02-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Rest In Peace Ray, you were a class act.:(:

tick53

Procol Harum
02-03-2007, 09:37 AM
R.I.P. Ray Berres--99 good years--all Sox fans thank you for your work. Would that some of these new-fangled pitching coaches would revisit your methods.

Paulwny
02-03-2007, 12:00 PM
RIP Ray, you were one of the best.

Lip Man 1
02-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Had the chance to speak with many of his 'pupils' yesterday, Peters, Joe Horlen, Ray Herbert, Wilbur... what struck me was how much the 'position' players like Ken Berry, Jim Landis and Pete Ward cared about him.

He obviously impacted a lot more then just his pitchers.

Joe Horlen was telling me a story that he visited Ray in Wisconsin a few years ago and that at age 93 he was still playing golf! Joe and Ray went into his basement to work on Berres swing.

Lip

StatManDu
02-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I used to sit with Ray during minor league and later high school (at the field named after him in Kenosha County) and college games and just jibber jabber. Even in his later years, he was still "coaching." Back in 1987, Ray and Minnesota Twin prospect Willie Banks worked on his mechanics in front of a mirror at old Simmons Field.

That golf reference is pertinent, too, because he used to tell me how he would relate golf mechanics with pitching mechanics. According to Ray, this was a particularly effective technique with Tommy John.

Just a genuine, gentleman who was so humble. He was so humble I think he almost felt guilty accepting his induction into the State Hall of Fame back in 1999.

If anyone is interested in services or donating to Ray's charities, send me a message. To my knowledge, the details were not posted for the public.

PaulDrake
02-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I've been out of town and out of touch, and wasn't aware of Ray's passing. I'm sad that he's gone, and happy for a long and well spent life. Younger Sox fans should know what a truly great pitching coach he was, the success he had in turning around lots of previously poor and mediocre pitchers. There would have been no 17 straight winning seasons without Ray Berres.