PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Situation

CHISOX10
03-14-2002, 08:28 AM
Onan was released b/c they didn't like his curve ball. He didn't have much in the way of breaking pitches....threw mostly fastballs. Porzio seems to be having a decent spring, but my question is why aren't we giving Vining another chance? Does a 1.96 at the AAA level not warrant a second opportunity in the Bigs? The guy is still with the Sox.....confused! :?:

baggio202
03-14-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by CHISOX10
Onan was released b/c they didn't like his curve ball. He didn't have much in the way of breaking pitches....threw mostly fastballs. Porzio seems to be having a decent spring, but my question is why aren't we giving Vining another chance? Does a 1.96 at the AAA level not warrant a second opportunity in the Bigs? The guy is still with the Sox.....confused! :?:

my question on masaoka is why didnt we know he didnt have a curveball when we t raded for him...kenny williams made the guy out to be the 2nd coming of john franco...i can remeber him saying what a great addition this guy will be to our pen...yeah..right..

btw..why did we release him??...he is a lefty and they could work with him on his curve in the minors....you just dont release lefties...somebody will always give you something for alefty..hell somebody wanted alan embree eventually someone would have taken masaoka from us...

as for vining...dont know..other than he really looked scared when pitched up here...do we still have him???

CHISOX10
03-14-2002, 02:43 PM
I will tell you this: as much as people think lefties will always get picked up by another team....it doesn't hold true for a lot of them. Why didn't they work on Onan's curve/breaking balls....the Sox probably feel they don't have time. They are looking to go REAL far this year, but this you already know. As for Vining being scared....I can tell you he WASN'T the least bit intimidated by any of it. His demeanor is very quite....his look is essentially emotionless both on and off the mound. While in Chicago for 6 weeks there were several situations working against him. 1. Lack of consistent game pitching (pitching a guy once every 10 to 15 days is going to call for hits/balls/and runs). 2. And a little tidbit....they (Nardi/Kenny) started changing his pitching style. Wanted him to stop throwing his curve ball (his best pitch) after McGuire hit the homerun? Vining had him (McGuire) 0-2 and hope that he would chase the same curve that he was throwing for strikes. He just didn't get it down low enough. Who the heck knows what the real reasoning was.

RichH55
03-14-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

my question on masaoka is why didnt we know he didnt have a curveball when we t raded for him...kenny williams made the guy out to be the 2nd coming of john franco...i can remeber him saying what a great addition this guy will be to our pen...yeah..right..

btw..why did we release him??...he is a lefty and they could work with him on his curve in the minors....you just dont release lefties...somebody will always give you something for alefty..hell somebody wanted alan embree eventually someone would have taken masaoka from us...

as for vining...dont know..other than he really looked scared when pitched up here...do we still have him???

Baggio, what exactly do you expect KW to say? The guy I just picked up sucks and we are going to cut him first chance we get? I'm guessing the main reason to do that deal was Majewski.......and if Onan wasn't going to get it done then we are cutting our losses early(and that is a positive sign since cutting losses hasn't been one of KW's strengths so far).....We can't have it both ways....essentially if you don't like KW you can always find a way to fault his moves.........he isn't perfect but not every move he makes is evil incarnate