PDA

View Full Version : mlb.com picks White Sox to win AL Central.

chisoxmike
02-02-2007, 02:38 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20070131&content_id=1790710&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

crazyozzie02
02-02-2007, 02:43 PM
very intresting. I still kinda chuckle when i think that at one time the al central was the worst division in baseball. now its even better than the al east with all their money

White Sox Randy
02-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I saw that and it looks great. I hope he's right. I still think the Tigers look a little better than we do right now. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 teams are separated by only 6-8 wins from top to bottom. It WILL be a dogfight.

WhiteSox5187
02-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I saw that and it looks great. I hope he's right. I still think the Tigers look a little better than we do right now. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 teams are separated by only 6-8 wins from top to bottom. It WILL be a dogfight.
I think the Indians are gonna be the team to watch out for this year. I think the Tigers' pitching is going to have the same problems that we had last year. They never threw close to the number of innings they threw last year. We'll see.

QCIASOXFAN
02-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Best position battles: Anderson is the favorite to start in center field, but he could be pushed by Ryan Sweeney.
I will be driving this wagon.:cool:

Daver
02-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Best position battles: Anderson is the favorite to start in center field, but he could be pushed by Ryan Sweeney.
I will be driving this wagon.:cool:

Sweeney isn't a center fielder.

palehozenychicty
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
very intresting. I still kinda chuckle when i think that at one time the al central was the worst division in baseball. now its even better than the al east with all their money

It is definitely better, and the last two playoffs showed that. No team in the East has the kind of pitching arms e.g. Santana, Sabathia, Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Verlander, Rogers, Bonderman that reside in the Central.

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
It is definitely better, and the last two playoffs showed that. No team in the East has the kind of pitching arms e.g. Santana, Sabathia, Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Verlander, Rogers, Bonderman that reside in the Central.

...plus there are a lot of nice second tier pitchers like Westbrook, Meche, Vazquez, Roberts, Lee in addition to all the young arms for each team trying to break through from the high minors. The AL Central isn't going to be a 2-3 year flash in the pan; this division is going to be very good for a very long time.

jdm2662
02-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Are there any legit CFs in the minor league system?

caulfield12
02-02-2007, 03:49 PM
No.

Not after trading Reed, Rowand, Anthony Webster and Chris Young.

Daver
02-02-2007, 03:57 PM
No.

Rowand wasn't a center fielder either.

Hitmen77
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
...plus there are a lot of nice second tier pitchers like Westbrook, Meche, Vazquez, Roberts, Lee in addition to all the young arms for each team trying to break through from the high minors. The AL Central isn't going to be a 2-3 year flash in the pan; this division is going to be very good for a very long time.

Unfortuntately, that'll make it that much harder for the Sox to make a bunch of postseason appearances. There's going to be quite a few AL Central teams in the next few years with 90+ wins that don't make the playoffs.

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Unfortuntately, that'll make it that much harder for the Sox to make a bunch of postseason appearances. There's going to be quite a few AL Central teams in the next few years with 90+ wins that don't make the playoffs.

True, but the Sox do have the benefit of being able to outspend everyone else in the division so maybe they would be in better position to get that final piece or two to put them over the top. It will be tough though.

MeteorsSox4367
02-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Picked up my first preview magazine of the season (Lindy's) and they have the Sox second in the AL Central behind Detroit. According to them, the Sox won't make the playoffs with Boston taking the wild card.

SoxxoS
02-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Vegas favors the Sox as well...

DarkHorse35
02-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Isn't it a little premature to already be picking division winners?

OG4LIFE
02-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Rowand wasn't a center fielder either.

Rowand did start out as a corner OF.

He's since gone on to play CF in 563 out of 716 career games, and making a nice living at it.

Didn't seem to hold Aaron back too much, or keep the Phillies from dealing Thome for him to play CF for them.

EMachine10
02-02-2007, 06:07 PM
...yet another way to work aaron rowand into every post.

QCIASOXFAN
02-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I didn't think so either, but like the article says if Anderson stinks again Sweeney will get a shot at it. Maybe he will be good out in CF.:dunno:

Foulke You
02-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm kind've hoping the experts pick the Twins or Tigers to win our division this year. Return of "under the radar". The Sox seem to play better when expectations are lower and they feel they have something to prove to the media. Every year that it was supposed to be a slam dunk for the Sox to make the playoffs, the team just wilts. 1984, 1997 (Belle), 2001, and 2006 come to mind.

RedPinStripes
02-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Picked up my first preview magazine of the season (Lindy's) and they have the Sox second in the AL Central behind Detroit. According to them, the Sox won't make the playoffs with Boston taking the wild card.

HA! God forbid if the Yankmees and Red Cubs aren't there. What will espn do? I don't know exactly what KW's doing, but I won't bash it. Every move he made isn't a "steal or big move" , but none of them hurt the team at all. He's put a lot more depth in the roster if these young pitchers can be serviceable.

ondafarm
02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I didn't think so either, but like the article says if Anderson stinks again Sweeney will get a shot at it. Maybe he will be good out in CF.:dunno:

Not to worry. Anderson will be fine this year.

JermaineDye05
02-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I really like how MLB.com has us picked to win but I sure as hell wouldn't mind going under the radar like in '05, or like the Bears in '06

AJ Hellraiser
02-03-2007, 04:57 PM

I tried explaining this to a buddy of mine.. that the AL Central is set up for a run of dominance for a good decade.. he laughed and said you can't predict that..., but unless these teams are seriously mismanaged I don't see how I'd be wrong...

Madvora
02-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't care what the Twins look like any year. I would never pick them less than second place. They never seem to go away.

gaelhound
02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I've heard they are like pirahnahs!:D:

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I really like how MLB.com has us picked to win but I sure as hell wouldn't mind going under the radar like in '05, or like the Bears in '06
Quite a few magazines predicted the Bears would win the division...not too many were saying they were super bowl bound.

I think it's going to be another dogfight in the AL Central this year. I think the Tigers are gonna fade out around mid August (like we did). The Indians are gonna be breathing down someone's neck and the Twins are ALWAYS there. It's going to be a four team race, and ya know what? I think the Royals are gonna finish around .500 and will be a pain for a lot of contending teams.

JermaineDye05
02-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Quite a few magazines predicted the Bears would win the division...not too many were saying they were super bowl bound.

yeah I meant the Bears in the playoffs, no one gave them a chance against seattle, then new orleans and now indianapolis. Sorry I should have specified.

GoSox2K3
02-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Unless the Sox can make the playoffs, no one is going to care that they won a ton of games and fell short of the postseason only because of tough competition. Just ask the '72 and '90 Sox. Or 1963-65 for that matter.

Look at how the local media is already getting set to gush over the Cubs being good enough to make a 85 win playoff run while they're totally ripping on a Sox team that looks to win at least 90 games again - which again might not be good enough for the playoffs.

That seems to be a recurring patter for over 50 years now. The Sox are often very good, but stuck behind some phenomenal competition. :(: I sure hope the Sox remember how to move runners over again in '07 and I hope Buehrle remembers to pitch again on his way to a FA payday. If they can do that, I like our chances.

ondafarm
02-03-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't care what the Twins look like any year. I would never pick them less than second place. They never seem to go away.

This is the last year they play in the dome. Take away a home park which gives them a huge advantage and they will fall well off the pace.

dcb56
02-03-2007, 07:17 PM
This is the last year they play in the dome. Take away a home park which gives them a huge advantage and they will fall well off the pace.

:?:

I read the Twins ballpark is supposed to open in 2010.

caulfield12
02-03-2007, 08:39 PM
But they will also have more revenue to keep Santana, Morneau and Mauer.

I really think they have a 75% chance to keep Santana...in fact, I would say they have better odds of keeping him than the White Sox do of keeping Buehrle. They really want to keep Johan around for the new stadium....and Liriano, if he ever comes back to health.

I think Nathan is the one they might sacrifice from a financial standpoint.

Brian26
02-03-2007, 09:28 PM
No.

Anthony Webster? Where is he playing now? Havent seen that name mentioned since 2003.

Brian26
02-03-2007, 09:30 PM
2007 Sporting News Yearbook is out, with the Sox picked for 3rd in the AL Central.

caulfield12
02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Anthony Webster? Where is he playing now? Havent seen that name mentioned since 2003.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=462412

Pretty pedestrian stats, still with Rangers. Never has hit with enough power, and doesn't use his speed enough on the bases. Rupe is expected to compete for fifth starter's spot.

caulfield12
02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
2007 Sporting News Yearbook is out, with the Sox picked for 3rd in the AL Central.

Behind which two teams? Det and ?

PalehosePlanet
02-03-2007, 09:57 PM

I really think they have a 75% chance to keep Santana...in fact, I would say they have better odds of keeping him than the White Sox do of keeping Buehrle. They really want to keep Johan around for the new stadium....and Liriano, if he ever comes back to health.

I don't know about that. How much money have the Pirates, Brewers or Reds spent since getting their new stadiums? There is absolutely NO WAY Santana will get 18-22 million a year from the extremely stingy Minny ownership. NO WAY!

I agree with you that Nathan is gone, but they'll find a way to hang on to Morneau and Mauer long term.

Daver
02-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Webster was pretty raw, never played organized baseball till high school, and some doubted he would ever develop into his potential. The Sox took a similar gamble on an aussie named Thomas Bryce, who never learned to hit anything that wasn't skipped to the plate, but had a ton of potential.

02-03-2007, 10:16 PM
So what's different about Minnehaha's new stadium? Is it not a dome? I can't imagine they'd go back to an open stadium with the ugly spring weather they sometimes get up there.

Hitmen77
02-04-2007, 01:05 AM
So what's different about Minnehaha's new stadium? Is it not a dome? I can't imagine they'd go back to an open stadium with the ugly spring weather they sometimes get up there.

It'll be an open-air stadium. Last I heard, no retractable roof.

ondafarm
02-04-2007, 02:08 AM

I take it you've never tried to hit in a dome. Considering how little time you have to pick up the ball's location and flight and especially the spin, MLB should regulate the hitting backdrops. The hitting background in the Dome is so poor that very few hitters can accurately pick up the spin on the ball. That's why both Nathan and Santanna are so devastating there, not to mention Neshek.

Move them out of the dome and each of those pitchers becomes much less lethal. Not pedestrian, but loose a significant edge.

DSpivack
02-04-2007, 02:46 AM
I take it you've never tried to hit in a dome. Considering how little time you have to pick up the ball's location and flight and especially the spin, MLB should regulate the hitting backdrops. The hitting background in the Dome is so poor that very few hitters can accurately pick up the spin on the ball. That's why both Nathan and Santanna are so devastating there, not to mention Neshek.

Move them out of the dome and each of those pitchers becomes much less lethal. Not pedestrian, but loose a significant edge.

I know stats don't tell everything, but in 2006 Santana (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=santajo02)was 12-0 at home with a 2.12 ERA, on the road 7-6 with a 3.38. Pretty big difference. Although hitters' numbers vs. are pretty much identical. Career marks slightly better at home, but not by much.

Nathan (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=nathajo01&year=2006)slightly better on the road, dominant either way.

Neshek (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=neshepa01)considerably better at home, in his first and only season.

DSpivack
02-04-2007, 02:47 AM

For what it's worth, I think the Sox have a much better chance of keeping Buehrle than they do Dye.

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Webster was pretty raw, never played organized baseball till high school, and some doubted he would ever develop into his potential. The Sox took a similar gamble on an aussie named Thomas Bryce, who never learned to hit anything that wasn't skipped to the plate, but had a ton of potential.

I think it's Thomas Brice...but I remember him playing at Kannapolis.

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 06:22 AM

I wonder why they didn't take a gamble on Takatsu then...similar modes of pitching?

thomas35forever
02-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Think the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network will finally give the Central some respect this year?

Murphy10
02-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Think the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network will finally give the Central some respect this year?
I wish they would, probably not though.
Also i lost all respect for ESPN when they got rid of Harold Reynolds basically my favorite on Baseball Tonight.