PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie On: Lovie, Anderson, Buehrle and more

Lip Man 1
02-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Here you go:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-0702020122feb02,1,779463.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

nug0hs
02-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Otherwise, Guillen might move newcomer Darin Erstad from left to center and have Erstad lead off against right-handed pitching, using Rob Mackowiak and Pablo Ozuna as a platoon in left field. Or install second baseman Tadahito Iguchi in the leadoff spot.Mack in the outfield again?! :cower: Please tell me this is just an idea formulated in the head of Mr. John Kass and not an Ozzie-constructed scenario!

CHISOXFAN13
02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Mack in the outfield again?! :cower: Please tell me this is just an idea formulated in the head of Mr. John Kass and not an Ozzie-constructed scenario!

Mackowiak is fine in the corner outfield spots. He's a terrible centerfielder.

caulfield12
02-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Mack in the outfield again?! :cower: Please tell me this is just an idea formulated in the head of Mr. John Kass and not an Ozzie-constructed scenario!

I really don't want Mack playing 3B or 2B either.

As long as it's ONLY LF, I'm okay with that. But Ozzie likes Ozuna more as a back-up for Crede than Mackowiak, so that should tell you something. And Cintron or Ozuna can play 2B better than Mack.

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 02:11 PM

I can't stand platoons but that one wouldn't be so bad. Both players would be playing in the least defensively important position on the field and both players would probably put up nice offensive numbers.

IMO, Mack+Pablo offensively may be much better than Erstad. He's the one we need to worry about IMO. LF will sort itself out, but I think Sox fans need to really pull for Anderson and Terrero after Erstad's last season.

caulfield12
02-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I can't stand platoons but that one wouldn't be so bad. Both players would be playing in the least defensively important position on the field and both players would probably put up nice offensive numbers.

IMO, Mack+Pablo offensively may be much better than Erstad. He's the one we need to worry about IMO. LF will sort itself out, but I think Sox fans need to really pull for Anderson and Terrero after Erstad's last season.

You can pretty much forget Terrero at this point. Unless Erstad completely sucks in ST, he's on the team. When's the last time the White Sox just ate $750,000 on a contract, besides Politte last year? Historically, we almost never waive or release someone at that salary level or above.

Mickster
02-02-2007, 02:16 PM
You can pretty much forget Terrero at this point. Unless Erstad completely sucks in ST, he's on the team. When's the last time the White Sox just ate $750,000 on a contract, besides Politte last year? Historically, we almost never waive or release someone at that salary level or above.

2005. Ben Davis. $1M deal to play in AAA.

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 02:20 PM

If Terrero hits better than Anderson - and post importantly looks better at the plate in general - I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian head to Charlotte. Granted, Terrero is probably considered a longshot by the organization, but he will certainly get his chance. Erstad is a lock for the 25-man roster but the idea of him playing everyday causes me some concern.

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 02:24 PM

Good memory. They also ate quite a bit of salary in the Koch deal, and even though Florida did pick up a small portion IIRC, Koch would have been waived had the Marlins not stepped up with a AAAA SS.

Also, how much was Shingo making when the Sox dumped him?

***Edit: Oh, and Widger was making like 500 or 600K wasn't he? The Sox DFA'd him too. These types of moves happen quite regularly actually.

Madvora
02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
What was Shingo getting paid when the Sox dumped him?

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 03:31 PM
What was Shingo getting paid when the Sox dumped him?

No idea, but wasn't it something like a couple mil per season?

jdm2662
02-02-2007, 03:45 PM

2.5 mil or so.

caulfield12
02-02-2007, 03:46 PM

But that's not going to happen with Erstad. Davis spent half of the prior year in AAA after slumping so badly.

And we at least got something back for Koch...at one point, Ozzie considered him capable of being a starting SS in the majors after watching him closely when he coached with the Marlins.

So you have Takatsu and Politte. And I don't think we had options/buyouts for either Davis or Takatsu for the following season (2006), maybe I'm wrong on that front.

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
But that's not going to happen with Erstad. Davis spent half of the prior year in AAA after slumping so badly.

And we at least got something back for Koch...at one point, Ozzie considered him capable of being a starting SS in the majors after watching him closely when he coached with the Marlins.

So you have Takatsu and Politte. And I don't think we had options/buyouts for either Davis or Takatsu for the following season (2006), maybe I'm wrong on that front.

I remember every Sox fan I knew throwing up cheers over that deal. Between 2000 and the 2004-05 offseason, that Billy Koch trade was probably my happiest moment as a Sox fan. Ozzie also said the same things about Willie Harris, too. I guess Ozzie just likes those weak hitting defense-only guys.

caulfield12
02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I remember every Sox fan I knew throwing up cheers over that deal. Between 2000 and the 2004-05 offseason, that Billy Koch trade was probably my happiest moment as a Sox fan. Ozzie also said the same things about Willie Harris, too. I guess Ozzie just likes those weak hitting defense-only guys.

I think KW was the one who liked Harris a lot when he was in the Orioles org. He was always being compared to a miniature (that's hard to find) Ray Durham minus the HR power.

WhiteSox5187
02-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Yea, but the Mets picked him up off waivers.

UserNameBlank
02-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Yea, but the Mets picked him up off waivers.

IIRC, Shingo cleared waivers and could have been sent down to Charlotte, but instead the Sox released him. The Mets signed him after that. There was no way a team was going to pick up any of that salary when they had the chance to get him for nothing without giving anything up.

Jerksticks
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I really hope it's Fields or Sweeney getting the nod in LF instead of Mack/Ozuna.

On the other hand, I'd like to see what Ozuna could do if he got a whole month's worth of ABs. Not gonna happen though.

ondafarm
02-03-2007, 12:00 AM
I think Ozzie is pulling BA's chain telling him he's got other things he can do besides play BA. Sophmore season, he should be a lot less pressured.

He was able to put things together for the second half. He should be fine for the whole season this year.

Hitmen77
02-03-2007, 12:12 AM
I think Ozzie is pulling BA's chain telling him he's got other things he can do besides play BA. Sophmore season, he should be a lot less pressured.

He was able to put things together for the second half. He should be fine for the whole season this year.

Agreed. I agree with Ozzie wanting to light a fire under him, but I'm confident that BA will be fine. The talent is there.

tick53
02-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Ol' Oz is quite a character isn't he. :D: I hope Mr Obama read the article.

caulfield12
02-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Or Mr. Biden.

ondafarm
02-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Ol' Oz is quite a character isn't he. :D: I hope Mr Obama read the article.

Probably had a good laugh about it.