PDA

View Full Version : The Bullpen

rainbow6
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
With a couple of weeks before spring training starts, please indulge me as I try to guess what the Sox bullpen will look like come Opening Day.

The general consensus among many posters here seems to be that the bullpen is greatly improved from last season...

Heres what I know for sure:

Jenks
Thorton
McDougal

I have no clue how the following fit into the picture:

Aardsma
Sisco
Gio Gonzalez
Masset (sp?) the dude from Texas
Floyd/Danks/Haegar

Feel free to fill in the blanks.

I have to admit, there seems to be alot of potential but I'm still concerned about the lack of experience after the first few names.

My biggest concern is Aardsma - I pray that just because he can throw hard and we traded Cotts for him that he isn't given more slack and allowed to underperform for two months before he is shown the door.

I'm curious how people see this shaking out...

Luke

oeo
02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
With a couple of weeks before spring training starts, please indulge me as I try to guess what the Sox bullpen will look like come Opening Day.

The general consensus among many posters here seems to be that the bullpen is greatly improved from last season...

Heres what I know for sure:

Jenks
Thorton
McDougal

I have no clue how the following fit into the picture:

Aardsma
Sisco
Gio Gonzalez
Masset (sp?) the dude from Texas
Floyd/Danks/Haegar

Feel free to fill in the blanks.

I have to admit, there seems to be alot of potential but I'm still concerned about the lack of experience after the first few names.

My biggest concern is Aardsma - I pray that just because he can throw hard and we traded Cotts for him that he isn't given more slack and allowed to underperform for two months before he is shown the door.

I'm curious how people see this shaking out...

Luke

The bullpen will likely be Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Aardsma, Sisco, and Masset. Floyd will probably be our #5 starter.

Gonzalez/Danks are not major league ready yet; Haeger will have a shot at being a starter, but according to Kenny, Floyd is the frontrunner.

Personally, I'm really excited about this bullpen. It has potential to be a far superior bullpen than the one we had in 2005, and I think it's already an upgrade over what we had in 2006.

AuroraSoxFan
02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I am a little concerned with some of the younger guys. aardsma/Sisco were on ML rosters last year but they're still pretty young. However, if they are all hungry to prove themselves and adhere to Cooper's direction I am sure they will be fine. One advantage to their lack of experience is that hitters won't know too much about them. And with them coming out of the pen they won't have too many opportunities to observe them. A pen is going to tank games over the course of a 162 game year. I just hope the percentage of blown games from them is way down from 06.

maurice
02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
The bullpen will likely be Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Aardsma, Sisco, and Masset. Floyd will probably be our #5 starter.

I agree.

The Sox have the luxury of letting Danks, et al. start every 5 days as part of a stacked Charlotte staff.

Madvora
02-02-2007, 11:41 AM
You never know what a bullpen is going to be like from year to year.

- Shingo from 2004 to 2005
- Politte from 2005 to 2006
- Cotts from 2005 to 2006

White Sox Randy
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Gonzalez/Danks are not major league ready yet; Haeger will have a shot at being a starter, but according to Kenny, Floyd is the frontrunner.

Personally, I'm really excited about this bullpen. It has potential to be a far superior bullpen than the one we had in 2005, and I think it's already an upgrade over what we had in 2006.

Exactly. I was very concerned about this year's pen a couple of months ago but I really like the additions of Sisco and Masset so NOW I'm aboard. I'm looking forward to see how this pen does. It should be exciting.

If I had more confidence in Floyd, I would really be excited about this staff.

Chez
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Exactly. I was very concerned about this year's pen a couple of months ago but I really like the additions of Sisco and Masset so NOW I'm aboard. I'm looking forward to see how this pen does. It should be exciting.

If I had more confidence in Floyd, I would really be excited about this staff.

I don't want "excitement" out of our bullpen. Just boring 1-2-3 innings!

White Sox Randy
02-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't want "excitement" out of our bullpen. Just boring 1-2-3 innings!

Obviously, the anticipation of how they will do is the "exciting" part that I am looking forward to. Nowhere did I say that I want individual innings to be "exciting" and not "1-2-3".

This is the kind of thing that makes me not want to post on this site. You have people that read a post and look to find any minor detail to argue about.

Thome25
02-02-2007, 01:53 PM

This post says it all. I agree with this wholeheartedly. That is definitely what we want the bullpen to look like.

If it doesn't, then something either went wrong or someone totally stepped up out of nowhere and was lights-out to take someone else's job.

CashMan
02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Obviously, the anticipation of how they will do is the "exciting" part that I am looking forward to. Nowhere did I say that I want individual innings to be "exciting" and not "1-2-3".

This is the kind of thing that makes me not want to post on this site. You have people that read a post and look to find any minor detail to argue about.

I think you need to simmer down, I am pretty sure he was joking. No need to get worked up.

Chez
02-02-2007, 02:06 PM

Sorry, Randy. I was joking. I'll use the smiley faces when responding to your comments from now on. :D: :D: :D:

Vestigio
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
The thing that worries me the most about the bullpen are the walks since we have a lot of power arms and possibly Haeger in the pen. I'm confident though that Coop will work is magic to fix any problems the guys may have...

ondafarm
02-03-2007, 09:36 PM

Haeger will have difficulties with the air in Arizona, it will keep him from having good breaks on his knuckleball. Floyd is much more likely to have a good ST.

AJ Hellraiser
02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
I think it will be Sisco, Aardsma and Masset after the big 3.... I know for a fact Haeger won't be in it after comments by Ozzie, KW and Coop at SoxFest.. they all stated at one point or another that they don't forsee a knuckleballer in the bullpen... I agree

That being said, I am VERY excited about this bullpen... our softest thrower brings it at 95... heat wins out of the bullpen.... this was the main area of concern and I feel KW did address it nicely..

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-03-2007, 10:12 PM

I feel that Sisco will be in AAA as a starter. Haeger did really well out of the pen at the end of the year. I wouldn't mind seeing him in McCarthy's role this year.

Lorenzo Barcelo
02-03-2007, 11:40 PM
I feel that Sisco will be in AAA as a starter. Haeger did really well out of the pen at the end of the year. I wouldn't mind seeing him in McCarthy's role this year.

At the Saturday town meeting at Soxfest, Ozzie was asked about Sisco's role and he said he expects him to be in the pen.

caulfield12
02-04-2007, 05:25 AM

With Boone Logan as the loogy? Ummm....20% chance of this. Perhaps they will have Sisco as "long man" so he can build up stamina and be ready to go in and replace Floyd/Haeger/Danks as fifth starter or in case of an injury.

IndianWhiteSox
02-04-2007, 09:21 AM
With Boone Logan as the loogy? .

I know you said that it was a 20% chance but if it came true then:

:bundy

Murphy10
02-05-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm just excited to see Mac take the mound.:bandance: