PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Thief

TheCommander
02-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I had a simliar experience once,but it was my camera instead of autographs.:angry:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/238971,CST-NWS-lostsox01.article

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Whoever took that is a low life piece of ****!!!! :angry: :angry:

cws05champ
02-01-2007, 07:19 PM
The Tribune will pick up this story Nationally:

LOW LIFE SOX FAN STEALS- TYPICAL OF SOUTH SIDE FANS
Young Sox fan in tears -Williams offseason moves to blame

Domeshot17
02-01-2007, 07:26 PM
What a piece of crap. Some people just suck at life. I hope, if nothing else, JR can get the guys to sign a ball or a new pennant for her.

Its crappy lesson to learn, but you can't leave something like that lying around with thousands of people around you. My friend just learned the same lesson at Chuck-E-Cheese, where some scumbag stole her cell phone in the 2 minute period she left her table to get her baby brother who had fallen down while running around.

JGarlandrules20
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
My boss was telling me about that today, since she knew I went.

It did not suprise me because people are so weird about autographs. Like getting up in the earlyearly morning to wait in line? That's crazy. Just the extremes people go to get a signature.

I remember I stood by the bullpen before a game last season. I had a good spot because I was there like foreverrr. My legs were killing me. I wanted Cliff to sign this picture for me. Neal signed too but in the process of giving Cliff my picture I dropped my Neal autograph and it was gone like that. :(:

bahn1225
02-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I think some of you maybe jumping to a conclusions...
A piece of felt would look a lot like trash to me.
It may have been picked up and inadvertently thrown away.
12 year old kids lose things.

I'm sure someone in SOX P.R. will do right for her.
I just hope another local ball team doesn't jump in and say;
"here you are little girl, we treat our fans right.
Why we even scalp our own tickets."

oeo
02-01-2007, 07:52 PM

A piece of felt...that was a baseball with the Sox logo on it, with autographs on it. I'm sure someone said, oh that's garbage, and threw it away. :rolleyes:

MrRoboto83
02-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Soxfest is dangerous, I have been afraid to go for years.

getonbckthr
02-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I feel bad for her and who ever took it is an *******. However why would you leave something like that just laying around like that? Your asking for someone to grab it. Unfortunately for her she learned the hard way.

itsnotrequired
02-01-2007, 08:09 PM

If a robot is afraid to go, what chance do the rest of us have?

:dtroll:

soxwon
02-01-2007, 08:18 PM

give the kid a ticket to the super bowl!!!

skobabe8
02-01-2007, 08:19 PM

:rolling:

chisoxmike
02-01-2007, 08:25 PM
give the kid a ticket to the super bowl!!!

Well, they have been handing these things out like they can't sell them... I mean come on, Chips even got a Super Bowl ticket!:o:

soxchick20
02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Although that does suck, its mostly her own fault for not taking better care of it. At 15, she's old enough to know that you can't leave things unattended and expect that no one will take it, especially something valuable. If I was her, I would have guarded that piece of felt with my life.

soxwon
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, they have been handing these things out like they can't sell them... I mean come on, Chips even got a Super Bowl ticket!:o:

i mean it seems anyone will do anything to get a ticket.
that Sierra girl auctioned herself on Ebay for a date and ended up with 4 tickets.

That pregnant woman sold space on her belly
thats not odd is it?

why not give the Kid a Ticket?

chisoxmike
02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
i mean it seems anyone will do anything to get a ticket.
that Sierra girl auctioned herself on Ebay for a date and ended up with 4 tickets.

That pregnant woman sold space on her belly
thats not odd is it?

why not give the Kid a Ticket?

That guy who Chris Harris promised got a free ticket...FROM A TICKET BROKER!!!!!!!

soxwon
02-01-2007, 08:43 PM
one guy paid $1500 on ebay and it was a fraud, guy gets nothing!!!

Hunker down
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
The Tribune will pick up this story Nationally:

LOW LIFE SOX FAN STEALS- TYPICAL OF SOUTH SIDE FANS
Young Sox fan in tears -Williams offseason moves to blame

Lead story on the WGN news at 9 tonight. Eyewitness said it was fans drinking too much from the upper deck. Next year Soxfest tickets holders will be restricted to their section of the main floor.:gulp:

Kub_Killer_15
02-01-2007, 11:07 PM
What do you expect? There is always someone greedy enough around to steal something valuable. Its her fault for not watching her things. I'm her age and If I got all those autographs I wouldn't let it out of my sight. Knowing the Sox organization I'm sure they will give her something good.

DumpJerry
02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I mean come on, Chips even got a Super Bowl ticket!:o:
A true sign that the End is near.

ewokpelts
02-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, they have been handing these things out like they can't sell them... I mean come on, Chips even got a Super Bowl ticket!:o:well..he did offer fancy beer

MincHiaPettito
02-02-2007, 02:32 AM
brooks boyer is the man, i\'m sure the sox know about this or if someone emails them about it they\'ll probably provide a replacement

gr8mexico
02-02-2007, 02:58 AM
This stuff seems to happend all the time. A girl last year had a bat autographed by alot of players. She had been collecting them for years she forgot her bat at a seminar and when she came back to get it was gone. You kind of feel sorry for them but it's there fault and to tell you the truth the banner cant be worth that much.

southside rocks
02-02-2007, 07:29 AM
This stuff seems to happend all the time. A girl last year had a bat autographed by alot of players. She had been collecting them for years she forgot her bat at a seminar and when she came back to get it was gone. You kind of feel sorry for them but it's there fault and to tell you the truth the banner cant be worth that much.
Wait a minute -- someone steals something, and it's the "fault" of the person who owned it and happened to let go of it?

Um, no. Whoever finds that banner lying around should turn it in to a Sox representative or a hotel security person. This isn't "finders keepers, losers weepers." Morality is a little more complicated than that.

I hope she gets it back or that the Sox replace it for her. Whoever took it is a lowlife. Nobody's stealing food to feed their family here; it's just tacky and pathetic to steal someone's autograph collection. Too bad not all Sox fans are decent people.

SoxFan78
02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
That is pretty ****ty. I hope the person that stole it gets karma payback big time.

I had a similar situation to this girl. I went to Sox Fest last year and took lots of pics on my digital camera. Well I had the camera at home just lying in the kitchen in my apartment and hadn't gotten around to downloading them to my computer.

Fast foward a month later when I need to take some pictures, I cant find my camera. I come to the conclusion that when the maintence people came into my apartment one afternoon to swap out my furnace, they swiped my camera, with all of my pictures on them.

The apartment is in Elmhurst, IL. If anybody wants details so they dont get their things taken, PM me.

skottyj242
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
What I want to know is how did that girl get all those autographs in one or two day? The policy clearly states that you can only have one wristband on at a time.

salty99
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
What I want to know is how did that girl get all those autographs in one or two day? The policy clearly states that you can only have one wristband on at a time.

We all know that people were taking them off and getting more than one wristband at a time. Obviously I dont' know if that was what she was doing, but everyone was talking about it in line the second day. ONce they got their 10AM band half the crowd left to go get more. I was also able to get Konerko and Ventura after seminars.

Iwritecode
02-02-2007, 11:03 AM

She only got 7 autos. I've gotten that many before. Also, it said she got up at 4 AM on Saturday and Sunday. So obviously she was way up front in the lines. With a little bit of planning, it's not hard to do.

Paul Konerko (& Jim Thome???) - 4:45
Joe Crede - 6:30

Javier Vazquez 10:00
Bobby Jenks - 12:30

Jon Garland 9:00
Alex Cintron 11:00

She also could have gotten them after seminars or just seen them walking around somewhere.

AuroraSoxFan
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
That is incredibly low. Can't believe so many people saying it's HER fault. Sure, it is unwise to leave something like that unattended. But she was just 15. Probably got cuaght up in the moment and had a brief lapse. For someone to capitalize on it is just low. I hope whoever did it gets some of their lowness thrown back in their face.

RoobarbPie
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I agree with everything that's been said here. This sucks for that young girl and I hope she either retrieves it or gets something in the mail from Brooks.

Question: Would this have been different if it were a 35 yr old male? Would it even be in the news? My guess is no, but it would still be the same ****ty situation.

Brian26
02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
She only got 7 autos. I've gotten that many before. Also, it said she got up at 4 AM on Saturday and Sunday. So obviously she was way up front in the lines. With a little bit of planning, it's not hard to do.

That's in a perfect world scenario.

However, as Salty said, everybody was cheating. If the same group of 250 people were cheating by getting multiple wristbands, imagine how many people were getting shutout.

Domeshot17
02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
It wasnt hard to get a lot of autographs without cheating.

Granted me and my fiancee were in line around 3 am each day, but we were able to score Konerko Jenks AJ Vazquez Garland Baines Walker Contreras Cintron Ventura Fields Sweeney and Owens over the weekend with zero cheating.

I think a big part of it is being int he right place at the right time. On the way from Konerko to get a Jenks Wristband, they tell us Vazquez is no wristband no wait anyone can go in. We go to get Ventura, and Garland has 30 wristbands left, so she took Garland, I took a Ventura. THE BIGGEST THING IS HAVING A PLAN. Knowing to go right from a to b to c to d one after another and not taking the 10-15 minutes after a signing to figure out who to go to next.

I hope she gets some kind of hook up from the White Sox.

The only cheating we did at all, The wristband person for whatever reason gave Kate's mom 2 Buehlre Wristbands, so she gave me 1.

Brian26
02-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Granted me and my fiancee were in line around 3 am each day, ......The only cheating we did at all, The wristband person for whatever reason gave Kate's mom 2 Buehlre Wristbands, so she gave me 1.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. So it wasn't that hard unless you had another person go with you, you got in line at 3am, and the ushers accidentally gave you extra wristbands. Other than that, it was a piece of cake. :thumbsup:

jenn2080
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM

Granted me and my fiancee were in line around 3 am each day, but we were able to score Konerko Jenks AJ Vazquez Garland Baines Walker Contreras Cintron Ventura Fields Sweeney and Owens over the weekend with zero cheating.

I think a big part of it is being int he right place at the right time. On the way from Konerko to get a Jenks Wristband, they tell us Vazquez is no wristband no wait anyone can go in. We go to get Ventura, and Garland has 30 wristbands left, so she took Garland, I took a Ventura. THE BIGGEST THING IS HAVING A PLAN. Knowing to go right from a to b to c to d one after another and not taking the 10-15 minutes after a signing to figure out who to go to next.

I hope she gets some kind of hook up from the White Sox.

The only cheating we did at all, The wristband person for whatever reason gave Kate's mom 2 Buehlre Wristbands, so she gave me 1.

There is NO way. Not when by 9am on Saturday all the wristbands for the whole day were gone. It does not matter if you flew to the next spot, there was a 95% chance that the wristbands were gone for that person.

35th&Shields
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
I feel bad for her and who ever took it is an *******. However why would you leave something like that just laying around like that? Your asking for someone to grab it. Unfortunately for her she learned the hard way.

Shouldn't we be supporting our fellow Sox fans instead of doling out life lessons? She's a 15 year old kid. She made a mistake. Sure she learned a lesson, but that doesn't mean it isn't unfortunate, and that's a pretty harsh penalty for a lesson learned.

I have the feeling the Sox will make this up to her.

ewokpelts
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I have the feeling the Sox will make this up to her.which is why they told the PRESS about this,and not just the sox......

skottyj242
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
That's in a perfect world scenario.

However, as Salty said, everybody was cheating. If the same group of 250 people were cheating by getting multiple wristbands, imagine how many people were getting shutout.

I didn't see anybody cheating. That's just wrong.

esbrechtel
02-10-2007, 05:13 PM
any one hear follow up to this story? Did the trib report a cub fan found it?
I was just wondering if anyone heard what the sox did or if her autos were returned...

StillMissOzzie
02-10-2007, 07:24 PM
any one hear follow up to this story? Did the trib report a cub fan found it?
I was just wondering if anyone heard what the sox did or if her autos were returned...

Yep, count on the Sox brass to come through. In tomorrow's Sun-Times, on page 12A, in a story titled, "Sox pitch in to replace her banner - and then some", by staff reported Shamus Toomey, we have:

"...Sox slugger Jim Thome sent an autographed ball. A suburban season ticket holder wants to send box seats...The Sox said they'll get manager Ozzie Guillen to sign a hat. And an autograph collector dropped of dozens of photos, some autographed...." (emphasis mine)

No link available (yet? -this is from tomorrow's paper!)

SMO
:smile:
Oh, by the way...I lost my autographed...pennant...yeah, that's the ticket...

hi im skot
02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
The Sox are such a classy organization. Nice to hear that some fellow fans are stepping up, too.

To the Chicago White Sox!
:gulp:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Here's the article -

I was happy to see how the team responded. That being said, maybe SHE needs to take a little better care of items she brings with to a public event.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/251954,CST-NWS-soxlost11.article

ewokpelts
02-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Here's the article -

I was happy to see how the team responded. That being said, maybe SHE needs to take a little better care of items she brings with to a public event.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/251954,CST-NWS-soxlost11.article thank goodness she knew how to alert the local media when it happened....

Domeshot17
02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Crystal and her family said they didn't go public to get free tickets or other autographs. Her mom, Karen Uribe, said they just wanted the banner back. The hope, she said, was the person who took it would have a heart and return it.

This is a touching story, and whoever stole this is a POS, but please. Don't treat the people helping you like fools. She knew what she was doing the minute she went to the media.

Im glad the Sox stepped up, and to answer who asked if this was a 35 year old man, actually, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal but the Sox do help out. 3 years ago my Fiancee's dad (47-48 at the time) had his wallet stolen on the bus on the way to Sox Fest. He had a weekend pass but not the hotel, living by USCF only a bus ride from the event anyway. Inside his wallet was his ticket. He wrote a letter to Jerry Reinsdorf, told him the truth on what happened, he hasnt missed a day of Sox Fest since it kicked off except for 2 occasions when he was in the hospital. Said he was just looking to get some younger guys on the day, Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand. 1 month later, Mike got a letter from Jerry thanking him for his loyalty to the White Sox through the good and tough times, along with 2 signed 8 x 10's, 1 of Rowand and 1 of Crede.

While writing Jerry Reinsdorf a letter after his wallet was stolen wasn't something I would have done, It was nice to see the White Sox take care of their own. You think Jim Hendry would have done anything if he got a letter saying "My wallet was stolen I really wanted Mark Prior and Felix Pie's autograph". He might have written back with something like "Ok, I will need 60 for the Prior and 30 for pie, Check can be made out to Jim Hendry C/O The Chicago Cubs, or Cash, please No Paypal"

esbrechtel
02-11-2007, 04:36 PM
glad to hear it was resolved....and I must admit I thought the girl was younger...shes 15? Geez hopefully she learned her lesson...

Brian26
02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
While writing Jerry Reinsdorf a letter after his wallet was stolen wasn't something I would have done, It was nice to see the White Sox take care of their own. You think Jim Hendry would have done anything if he got a letter saying "My wallet was stolen I really wanted Mark Prior and Felix Pie's autograph". He might have written back with something like "Ok, I will need 60 for the Prior and 30 for pie, Check can be made out to Jim Hendry C/O The Chicago Cubs, or Cash, please No Paypal"

Reinsdorf and the Sox take care of their fans, but don't make yourself look bad by making unfounded, petty comments about the other side of town's GM. I don't quite get the correlation there.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Amazing. She's gonna get more than she ending up losing.

Jerko
02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
She got the banner back.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/259928,CST-NWS-soxlost16.article

See, Sox fans aren't thieves, she just dropped it.

Mickster
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
She got the banner back.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/259928,CST-NWS-soxlost16.article

See, Sox fans aren't thieves, she just dropped it.

How soon before it ends up on eBay? :wink:

soxinem1
02-18-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm glad to hear the happy ending, but I'm even more glad to hear that the White Sox themselves intervened to help off set the loss.

Good for her and the team for showing some class.