PDA

View Full Version : How Big Is The Sox Fanbase In NW Indiana?

Thome25
02-01-2007, 11:32 AM
The Superbowl with the Bears and Colts got me thinking. There is alot of talk about the NFL allegience of the fans in NW Indiana.

How many of the fans in NW Indiana are Sox fans? Do alot of them care about baseball? Or are they fans of other teams?

If NW Indiana is a relatively untapped market then lets start recruiting some more Sox fans!!

Now's the chance for WSIers who are from Indiana to tell some stories about what goes on in the area where you live. Are there alot of Sox fans?

This goes for Chicago Sox fans who have traveled to Indiana and/or spend alot of time going to and from the NW Indiana area.

THANKS to anyone who posts!!

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm a Sox fan originally from NW Indiana. Unfortunately, there are alot more Cubs fans in the area than Sox fans, but there is still a decent number of Sox fans around.

oeo
02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
The Superbowl with the Bears and Colts got me thinking. There is alot of talk about the NFL allegience of the fans in NW Indiana.

How many of the fans in NW Indiana are Sox fans? Do alot of them care about baseball? Or are they fans of other teams?

If NW Indiana is a relatively untapped market then lets start recruiting some more Sox fans!!

Now's the chance for WSIers who are from Indiana to tell some stories about what goes on in the area where you live. Are there alot of Sox fans?

This goes for Chicago Sox fans who have traveled to Indiana and/or spend alot of time going to and from the NW Indiana area.

You're acting as if NW Indiana is a different country, or something. Do a lot of them care about baseball? Most of the towns in NW Indiana are within an hour from Chicago, we get Chicago TV, a lot of people are transplants from Illinois.

And it's just like the rest of Chicago or any other place for that matter, mostly Flub fans, a good amount of Sox fans, and then those people that are fans of teams across the nation.

Chip Z'nuff
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I wonder if Ron Kittle ever heard of Baseball?

Thome25
02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
You're acting as if NW Indiana is a different country, or something. Do a lot of them care about baseball? Most of the towns in NW Indiana are within an hour from Chicago, we get Chicago TV. It's just like the rest of Chicago or any other place for that matter, mostly Flub fans, a good amount of Sox fans, and then those people that are fans of teams across the nation.

Didn't mean to come off that way. Just wanted to know how prevalent the Sox were in Indiana.

It wasn't something I really thought about until the Bears-Colts Superbowl matchup came about.

I know that Indiana only has two major sports teams so I didn't know what the feeling about baseball in general was in that area.

Also, I live in an area where three different states meet so I've seen my fair share of this. Wanted to know how this applies to the Indiana area.

What are the neighborhoods like? Do people fly Sox flags on their houses etc. I know NW indiana isn't another planet or anything but I haven't had the pleasure of spending alot of time there. so I was curious.

rdivaldi
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Growing up in "The Region" it was pretty much split between Sox and Cubs fans until JR started making blunders with TV. 1984 and WGN really turned the tide toward the Cubs for my generation of fans, but hopefully 2005 helped turn the tide.

rdivaldi
02-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I know NW indiana isn't another planet or anything but I haven't had the pleasure of spending alot of time there. so I was curious.

Many will disagree with your "other planet" comment. I also wouldn't use the terms "pleasure" and "NW Indiana" in the same sentence...

Thome25
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Growing up in "The Region" it was pretty much split between Sox and Cubs fans until JR started making blunders with TV. 1984 and WGN really turned the tide toward the Cubs for my generation of fans, but hopefully 2005 helped turn the tide.

Yeah. it just seems to me that NW Indiana should be our area. It's so close to the southside of Chicago.

It just seems natural that it should be Sox Country.

tebman
02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
As a guy who grew up the The Region (Hammond) in the late '50s - early '60s, that was my experience too. I think there were more Sox fans, mostly because of the South Side proximity and cultural identity.

My Little League teams' parties, Patrol Boy outings, Boy Scout events, etc., were always to Sox games, never Cubs games. The White Sox were more fan-friendly than the Cubs during that time, giving away blocks of free tickets for kids' groups and such. Remember that the upper deck in Wrigley Field was closed on weekdays, and that the Ryan expressway didn't open until 1962, making it that much more difficult to get to a Cubs game if you wanted to.

The Sox front office shot themselves in the foot a number of times in the late '60s and early '70s. I'm sure they lost a lot new-fan kids during that stretch. I've been gone from there almost 30 years, so I don't know where it's at now. My guess is that it's the same distribution as the rest of metropolitan Chicago.

mwc44
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
As a guy who grew up the The Region (Hammond) in the late '50s - early '60s, that was my experience too. I think there were more Sox fans, mostly because of the South Side proximity and cultural identity.

My Little League teams' parties, Patrol Boy outings, Boy Scout events, etc., were always to Sox games, never Cubs games. The White Sox were more fan-friendly than the Cubs during that time, giving away blocks of free tickets for kids' groups and such. Remember that the upper deck in Wrigley Field was closed on weekdays, and that the Ryan expressway didn't open until 1962, making it that much more difficult to get to a Cubs game if you wanted to.

The Sox front office shot themselves in the foot a number of times in the late '60s and early '70s. I'm sure they lost a lot new-fan kids during that stretch......

I'm still here, and my experience is almost identical to Tebman's. You still have your die-hard Cub fans, and they pass it on from generation to generation, but it is also a noticeable difference since 2005 that people who would wear their old beat up Sox hat, now have new ones, display their pride more openly, and don't shy away from arguing about who the better team in "our area" is... not to mention all the "new fans" who are wearing Sox clothes, bumper stickers, etc.

jenn2080
02-01-2007, 12:22 PM

It is Northwest Indiana not Montana. Northwest Indiana is closer then some parts of Illinois.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 12:29 PM
It is Northwest Indiana not Montana. Northwest Indiana is closer then some parts of Illinois.

Why do you come into these threads just to inject some smart-ass comment?

Do you purposely try to clash with people for the fun of it? If you took the time to read all of the posts, you would've seen that I didn't mean it like that and I knew that NW Indiana wasn't another planet.

The comments by tebman and mwc44 were the perfect posts.

D. TODD
02-01-2007, 12:35 PM
NW Indiana is fully "tapped" into the chicago sports teams. The Sox and Cub split is about 50/50, and the hatred between the fans run plenty deep. So, I don't see to many from either side jumping ship for any reason.

SBSoxFan
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM

What he said. I grew up in Merrillville, and the move of the Sox' broadcasts from free TV to ON-TV and, subsequently, sportsvision was costly. Coupled with the rise of cable and WGN being a "superstation" meant you could go anywhere in the country and see a cubs' game, but you couldn't catch a Sox' game when you lived an hour away from the stadium! :angry: It's been said before, and I agree that this helped build a large cub following.

I went to school in Terre Haute, and it was a huge cub town. Heck even in South Bend it's mostly cubs. The local news is horribly biased towards the cubs with when and the amount of coverage they get on the sports segments. What's worse is that in 2000 I saw more Seattle fans than Sox fans. :angry:

Having said all that, however, the world series trophy tour was well attended in our area. I was suprised it even made it out this far, as well as points further east. So, I think the Sox recognize the chance to have a wide-spread fan base.

Finally, the comparison with football is different because Indiana doesn't have a major league baseball team.

skobabe8
02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Many will disagree with your "other planet" comment. I also wouldn't use the terms "pleasure" and "NW Indiana" in the same sentence...

*CAR CRASH* (for O&A fans out there)

I was born and raised in Munster, IN., (It is a PLEASURE of a town in NW INDIANA) and out of my closest friends, its 33% sox fans. Out of my family, its more like 20% sox fans.

jenn2080
02-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Why do you come into these threads just to inject some smart-ass comment?

Do you purposely try to clash with people for the fun of it? If you took the time to read all of the posts, you would've seen that I didn't mean it like that and I knew that NW Indiana wasn't another planet.

The comments by tebman and mwc44 were the perfect posts.

Not at all. I think the world of you. I just don't get some of your posts. Can we just be BFF? I mean you will have to be behind WizardofOzzie but you will be #2. Can we just hug it out and love one another?

Thome25
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
What he said. I grew up in Merrillville, and the move of the Sox' broadcasts from free TV to ON-TV and, subsequently, sportsvision was costly. Coupled with the rise of cable and WGN being a "superstation" meant you could go anywhere in the country and see a cubs' game, but you couldn't catch a Sox' game when you lived an hour away from the stadium! :angry: It's been said before, and I agree that this helped build a large cub following.

I went to school in Terre Haute, and it was a huge cub town. Heck even in South Bend it's mostly cubs. The local news is horribly biased towards the cubs with when and the amount of coverage they get on the sports segments. What's worse is that in 2000 I saw more Seattle fans than Sox fans. :angry:

Having said all that, however, the world series trophy tour was well attended in our area. I was suprised it even made it out this far, as well as points further east. So, I think the Sox recognize the chance to have a wide-spread fan base.

Finally, the comparison with football is different because Indiana doesn't have a major league baseball team.

WOW South Bend is mostly Cubs fans even though the Sox had a minor league team there for a while?

I suspect that alot of those Seattle fans in 2000 were Cubs fans wearing Seattle gear to root against the Sox.

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Not at all. I think the world of you. I just don't get some of your posts. Can we just be BFF? I mean you will have to be behind WizardsofOzzie but you will be #2. Can we just hug it out and love one another?
Ohhhh yeah, that's me! :yup: :bandance:

skobabe8
02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
WOW South Bend is mostly Cubs fans even though the Sox had a minor league team there for a while?

I suspect that alot of those Seattle fans in 2000 were Cubs fans wearing Seattle gear to root against the Sox.

I went to Ball State with a fat guy from south bend who is a huge cubs fan. I wasnt sure how representative of that area he was, but i guess there are a good number of cubs fans there.

Every argument we got into to he would end up saying "At least we sell out!"

I would say "And how much do you personally contribute to that?"

Like most of those dumbasses he'd been to like 1 game in his life.

Thome25
Not at all. I think the world of you. I just don't get some of your posts. Can we just be BFF? I mean you will have to be behind WizardofOzzie but you will be #2. Can we just hug it out and love one another?

LOL....look I have nothing against you. Maybe we just misunderstand each other that's all.

I should probably apologize for my earlier post.

How do you not laugh when you go ahead and post a reply like that? (even if there is some sarcasm in there.)

I guess in the original post I did make NW Indiana seem like Alaska or Montana or another planet for that matter.

I was just interested in a snapshot of what the fanbase in NW Indiana is like. I live in a similar area in Northeastern Maryland where the fanbase is divided between Phillies and Orioles fans.

Just wanted to know if NW Indiana was the same way and if the Sox fanbase is divided similar to the way Bears-Colts are.

skottyj242
How long of a flight is it from Midway to Gary? Has anyone ever stayed up that long?

SBSoxFan
02-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Could be. I'm not sure how much the minor league base translates. I couldn't tell you who the Silverhawks (South Bend's minor league franchise) represent. Arizona maybe?

Thome25
02-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I went to Ball State with a fat guy from south bend who is a huge cubs fan. I wasnt sure how representative of that area he was, but i guess there are a good number of cubs fans there.

Every argument we got into to he would end up saying "At least we sell out!"

I would say "And how much do you personally contribute to that?"

Like most of those dumbasses he'd been to like 1 game in his life.

How fat was he? Maybe he had to buy every seat in the stadium HIMSELF just so he could have the room to watch one game.

jenn2080
02-01-2007, 01:12 PM
:hug: LOL....look I have nothing against you. Maybe we just misunderstand each other that's all.

I should probably apologize for my earlier post.

How do you not laugh when you go ahead and post a reply like that? (even if there is some sarcasm in there.)

I guess in the original post I did make NW Indiana seem like Alaska or Montana or another planet for that matter.

I was just interested in a snapshot of what the fanbase in NW Indiana is like. I live in a similar area in Northeastern Maryland where the fanbase is divided between Phillies and Orioles fans.

Just wanted to know if NW Indiana was the same way and if the Sox fanbase is divided similar to the way Bears-Colts are.

:hug:
Thome25 and Jenn2080 BFF #2 for life. I am glad we got the air cleared before the season. Look for your necklace in the mail.

BTW I laughed my ass off at what I wrote the last time. :wink:

palehozenychicty
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Could be. I'm not sure how much the minor league base translates. I couldn't tell you who the Silverhawks (South Bend's minor league franchise) represent. Arizona maybe?

You are right. The Sox sold the franchise to the Dbacks back in the early 2000s.

palehozenychicty
02-01-2007, 01:17 PM
To continue on, I grew up in South Bend, and went to Sox games at Comiskey before I visited Wrigley. Them moving to sportsvision was a killer, We got the games in our home through WFLD and the other random cable providers, which only intensified my fan interest. Thus, I don't think that it affected team interest as much as in The Region. I think there are more Cub fans, but on an esoteric level. In my mind, South Bend is more interested in football, with the Golden Dome lurking and all.

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Thome25 and Jenn2080 BFF #2 for life. I am glad we got the air cleared before the season. Look for your necklace in the mail.

I'm still waiting for my necklace Jenn!! :tongue:

jenn2080
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm still waiting for my necklace Jenn!! :tongue:

You know it is a two way street. You could easily have sent one to me.

http://www.pittsburghsoccer.com/spibestfriendsch.jpg

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 01:33 PM
You know it is a two way street. You could easily have sent one to me.

http://www.pittsburghsoccer.com/spibestfriendsch.jpg

I'll bring you one to the patio party

MrRoboto83
02-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I live in Hammond and I always see much more Sox hats around than Flub hats. Of course this has been since the World Series. Before the World Series I saw a lot of dirty "I Love Indiana" hats.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM

a necklace? damn that's pretty cool..................is there a secret handshake that goes with that too?

dcb56
02-01-2007, 01:51 PM
You are right. The Sox sold the franchise to the Dbacks back in the early 2000s.

The team changed its affiliation in 1997.

I grew up in LaPorte and went to South Bend White Sox games all the time when I was a kid. That team was one of the main reasons I became a Sox fan, so needles to say I was upset when the Sox dumped the team. I can't help but think they lost an opportunity to cultivate a larger fanbase in Northern Indiana/Southwest Michigan, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one angered when the Sox left.

As for the fanbase in NW Indiana, it seems split fairly evenly between the Cubs and White Sox. I can't speak for Lake County, but over towards LaPorte and Porter Counties no one really associates with the south side of the city (mainly becuase it's not the south side, it's NW Indiana), so even though their stadium is closer and more accessible, the Sox really don't pick up much of a territorial advantage.

PKalltheway
02-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I live in a similar area in Northeastern Maryland where the fanbase is divided between Phillies and Orioles fans.
Where are the Nationals fans? I'm just curious to know since they're in that general vicinity as well.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 01:54 PM

I grew up in LaPorte and went to South Bend White Sox games all the time when I was a kid. That team was one of the main reasons I became a Sox fan, so needles to say I was upset when the Sox dumped the team. I can't help but think they lost an opportunity to cultivate a larger fanbase in Northern Indiana/Southwest Michigan, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one angered when the Sox left.

As for the fanbase in NW Indiana, it seems split fairly evenly between the Cubs and White Sox. I can't speak for Lake County, but over towards LaPorte and Porter Counties no one really associates with the south side of the city (mainly becuase it's not the south side, it's NW Indiana), so even though their stadium is closer and more accessible, the Sox really don't pick up much of a territorial advantage.

Being that the Sox are the closest MLB team to NW Indiana I assumed there would be a strong affiliation between the Sox and the area in general.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Where are the Nationals fans? I'm just curious to know since they're in that general vicinity as well.

The Nationals are about 30 miles southwest of Baltimore. I live about an hour from Baltimore and 45 mins from Philadelphia.

I don't see too many Nationals fans around here but, that's probably because the Nationals are still pretty new to the area.

With that said.....I get quite a few Nationals games on TV around here on MASN.

palehozenychicty
02-01-2007, 02:00 PM

My fault. I knew that it was either in the late 1990s or early 2000s. I agree with your assessment, that I was bummed that the Sox left South Bend as an affiliate and lost a possible territorial advantage.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Do any of you see a change in the fanbase since the Sox won the WS? Did it get bigger?

I know some of you already replied about how it got more vocal and more Sox caps started showing up so, that got me curious.

Also, alot of you talked about how WGN changed some into fans of the Northside ballclub. Has the TV situation changed? Is it easier to get Sox games on TV? or the same?

MrRoboto83
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Do any of you see a change in the fanbase since the Sox won the WS? Did it get bigger?

I know some of you already replied about how it got more vocal and more Sox caps started showing up so, that got me curious.

Also, alot of you talked about how WGN changed some into fans of the Northside ballclub. Has the TV situation changed? Is it easier to get Sox games on TV? or the same?

There has been a lot more Sox hats around since the World Series. I don't see as many Flubs hats as I used to. There is a large hispanic population in East Chicago Indiana, and I see nothing but Sox hats worn around during the season.

TDog
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM

When I was going to grade school in Munster in the 1960s, everyone had a baseball team, but admitted Sox fans were rare. Even in 1967. Before I left the Region at the end of the 1970s, Sox fans were so few they only acknowledged their allegiance in 1972 and 1977. Maybe they picked up more fans in the area when JR's group bought the team and built them into an early 1980s winner, enabling him to make blunders and lose fans.

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Obviously you started seeing more and more sox hats after 05. It might have been just me but it seemed like WGN covered more sox games in 06 than before.

dcb56
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Being that the Sox are the closest MLB team to NW Indiana I assumed there would be a strong affiliation between the Sox and the area in general.

No, it really doesn't work that way. NW Indiana, while a part of the larger Chicagoland area, is its own distinct region and really doesn't affiliate with the south side as much as you'd think. The feeling down there (at least where I'm from) is if it's west of the state line, it's Chicago. People tend to pick their team based on your other garden variety factors like who their relatives root for, etc.

jenn2080
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
a necklace? damn that's pretty cool..................is there a secret handshake that goes with that too?

You'll get the handshake soon enough young lad.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
When I was going to grade school in Munster in the 1960s, everyone had a baseball team, but admitted Sox fans were rare. Even in 1967. Before I left the Region at the end of the 1970s, Sox fans were so few they only acknowledged their allegiance in 1972 and 1977. Maybe they picked up more fans in the area when JR's group bought the team and built them into an early 1980s winner, enabling him to make blunders and lose fans.

To me, some of the stuff I'm hearing is a shame because the NW Indiana region should be hands-down Sox country.

For example, I live in Northeastern Maryland and I'm very close to the Delaware border. You can't go anywhere without seeing Phillies and Eagles hats on people and in stores etc.

Philadelphia is 45 mins from where I live so it's very similar to the NW Indiana/Chicago situation.

Sounds like Phillies/Orioles around here are pretty similar to White Sox/Cubs in NW Indiana.

Except for the fact that the Phillies are slightly closer so they're more prevalent. The same should be said for the White Sox in Indiana but, it doesn't seem that way.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 02:22 PM

OMG that's pretty hilarious......it doesn't involve giving the middle finger does it?

mwc44
02-01-2007, 02:37 PM

OMG that's pretty hilarious......it doesn't involve giving the middle finger does it?

Oh-oh... Here we go.... how does that go again?

5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... 1..... :redneck

White Sox Randy
02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I have an older friend that now lives in the NW burbs but grew up in Indianapolis. He's a big Sox fan and remembers the 1959 Sox vividly.

The reason is because the Sox AAA team was in Indy for many years. I thought that would have created many Sox fans in that area. Alas, the Sox got rid of that too. I'm not sure when but I think having minor league affiliates in the vicinity sure helps.

The flubs have Iowa covered because of that.

Thome25
02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh-oh... Here we go.... how does that go again?

5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... 1..... :redneck

The way this is headed....roadhouse in 5.....4......3.....2.......1

Thome25
02-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I have an older friend that now lives in the NW burbs but grew up in Indianapolis. He's a big Sox fan and remembers the 1959 Sox vividly.

The reason is because the Sox AAA team was in Indy for many years. I thought that would have created many Sox fans in that area. Alas, the Sox got rid of that too. I'm not sure when but I think having minor league affiliates in the vicinity sure helps.

yeah we shouldn't have pulled out of Indy or South Bend for that matter either. You would think the Sox would try to market themselves more to the Indiana region.

Hitmen77
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Iowa used to be the Sox AAA team in the late 70s. We gave that up too for places like Edmonton and Charlotte.

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2007, 03:01 PM

There is more to NWI than Gary. There are some extremely nice areas in NWI. Get your head out of your ass.

kraut83
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I grew up in South Bend. I was in second grade in 84, and clearly remember my teacher asking the class who was going to win the Cubs/Padres series. I was the only kid who raised his hand when she asked for the Pads. :cool:

Long story short, South Bend really isn't NWI, but as long as I can remember it's been more of a Cubs town. The difference is you see Sox fans wear their gear around town all year, and Cub fans only in April & May.

And yes, the Sox pulling their affiliate out of town didn't help. I know my dad hasn't been to a game since.

SBSoxFan
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
yeah we shouldn't have pulled out of Indy or South Bend for that matter either. You would think the Sox would try to market themselves more to the Indiana region.

Why would that matter so much? By that logic, all teams should have their minor league affiliates as geographically close to the major league team as possible.

Obviously it's happened, as other posts have mentioned, but I can't imagine a team fan base suffering because they moved an A affiliate.

rdivaldi
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
There is more to NWI than Gary. There are some extremely nice areas in NWI. Get your head out of your ass.

I grew up in "The Region", the nice areas are few and far in-between, unless you consider strip malls and cookie-cutter homes "nice". Different strokes for different folks I suppose...

oeo
02-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I grew up in "The Region", the nice areas are few and far in-between, unless you consider strip malls and cookie-cutter homes "nice". Different strokes for different folks I suppose...

I'll never get why people think where they live is better than where someone else does. To me it's ignorant and disrespectful, I don't care if you've lived there before (especially when it was probably many years ago). You're coming off as a serious ignoramus right now.

tschneid83
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Since "the region" has become quite large and has expanded from just east chicago, gary, and hammond area (which i would label as "the orignal region") it now includes some very nice areas like Munster, Schererville, Dyer, St. John, Crown Point, and Valparaiso. A lot of people living in those towns make the horrible commute to Chicago for work. Also, as someone mentioned, a lot of people living in those areas are Illinois transplants. 75% of the people that moved into my parents new neighborhood in St. John moved from Illinois. So yes I would agree that some people have different views of "nice".

rdivaldi
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I'll never get why people think where they live is better than where someone else does. To me it's ignorant and disrespectful, I don't care if you've lived there before (especially when it was probably many years ago). You're coming off as a serious ignoramus right now.

Wasn't meant to be disrespectful, more like poking fun. My parents/family still live in "The Region" so I am there often enough to see what has gone up over the last 10 years. Just not my cup of tea.

Being hostile isn't worth it guys....

oeo
02-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Wasn't meant to be disrespectful, more like poking fun. My parents/family still live in "The Region" so I am there often enough to see what has gone up over the last 10 years. Just not my cup of tea....

Understood, but since the area continues to grow, there are obviously not that many people that agree with you; especially when most of them are coming from Illinois.

itsjustinf
02-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Exactly where in the Region did you grow up? Sure there are places that aren't that nice, but there are also some very nice areas, just like damn near everywhere else. And the cookie cutter homes and strip malls can be almost everywhere as well, not ONLY in NWI.

flo-B-flo
02-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Dozens upon dozens of times my dad would get home from work, eat dinner, then say "lets go to Sox Park". I grew up in Gary and later Hammond. Now, out here, it is c-- world. There are some Sox fans however.......

tschneid83
02-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Unless you travel 10 or 15 minutes south of the expressway it would be somewhat difficult to find "nice" homes, if that is what ridivaldi is referring as "nice". Since most of the housing around the expressway is older they will be smaller and a little more run down. As far as the area in general being "nice" I would include a few more town besides the ones I already listed that are still "nice"

TDog
02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Since "the region" has become quite large and has expanded from just east chicago, gary, and hammond area (which i would label as "the orignal region") it now includes some very nice areas like Munster, Schererville, Dyer, St. John, Crown Point, and Valparaiso. A lot of people living in those towns make the horrible commute to Chicago for work. Also, as someone mentioned, a lot of people living in those areas are Illinois transplants. 75% of the people that moved into my parents new neighborhood in St. John moved from Illinois. So yes I would agree that some people have different views of "nice".

Munster, on the state line, has always been part of the Calumet Region. In the early 1960s, when I lived in Highland, mail came addressed as "Hammond" to our home. In fact, before Munster High opened in the 1960s (its first graduating class was 1967), Munster kids went to high school in Hammond. There has been tremendous growth to the south in the last four or five decades. I don't know many people who wouldn't find such an area acceptable. The nicer areas of the Region actually have grown and are probably not as exclusively nice as they once were in some cases. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with the area around Highway 41 as it snakes south of Hammond.

MrRoboto83
02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Wasn't meant to be disrespectful, more like poking fun. My parents/family still live in "The Region" so I am there often enough to see what has gone up over the last 10 years. Just not my cup of tea.

Being hostile isn't worth it guys....

There is a lot of new things happening even in the "Old Region" I guess you could say Hammond is getting a bit of a face lift with the huge Cabela's outdoor store and the complete rebuild of the Woodmar Mall Complex. In a few years it will look really different around the Indianapolis Blvd. exit. Also the Horseshoe Casino has a 450 Million Dollar expansion going on that will include a entertainment theatre that will seat 3000 people I believe. I have lived here for about 5 years now, and I like the area, the people are more laid back and friendly, and I live closer to the Sox than I have ever have before, it only takes me 25 mins to get to the park.

chisox1214
02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I live in Hammond and both sides of my family originally came from Chicago. I would say that the majority of the "original region" population are sox fans. From what I see of my friends that live in the "newer cities" that comprise the region...they tend to be cubs fans. I go to school in Muncie, IN and it seems like EVERYONE that lives in any part of Indiana besides the region is a cubs fan..it's like a completely different world...one that I will be happy to leave in 3 months when I graduate.

rdivaldi
02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Understood, but since the area continues to grow, there are obviously not that many people that agree with you; especially when most of them are coming from Illinois.

I guess I'm just a city snob...

:redface:

rdivaldi
02-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Exactly where in the Region did you grow up? Sure there are places that aren't that nice, but there are also some very nice areas, just like damn near everywhere else. And the cookie cutter homes and strip malls can be almost everywhere as well, not ONLY in NWI.

Actually most of my family is from Valpo, probably the nicest city in the area IMO.

skobabe8
02-01-2007, 06:17 PM

:thumbsup:

oeo, I'm glad you said it instead of me. I probably would have gotten banned.

ChiSoxFan7
02-01-2007, 09:02 PM
basically

Loads of flub "fans" (one girl even said she liked their pretty colors)

some diehard sox fans. then the '05 jumpers.

it's just like the city no real difference.

and in a side note it's pretty much the exact opposite for bears/colts. a lot more bears fans than even a close amount of colt fans

skobabe8
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
and in a side note it's pretty much the exact opposite for bears/colts. a lot more bears fans than even a close amount of colt fans

Agreed 1000%.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I live in the " Original Region, " third generation. It's 60/40 Sox fans, I think. The proximity to Comiskey made the Sox an easy, convenient choice. It was easier for Region Rats to identify with the South Side too.

tebman
02-01-2007, 10:47 PM
There is a lot of new things happening even in the "Old Region" I guess you could say Hammond is getting a bit of a face lift with the huge Cabela's outdoor store and the complete rebuild of the Woodmar Mall Complex. In a few years it will look really different around the Indianapolis Blvd. exit. Also the Horseshoe Casino has a 450 Million Dollar expansion going on that will include a entertainment theatre that will seat 3000 people I believe. I have lived here for about 5 years now, and I like the area, the people are more laid back and friendly, and I live closer to the Sox than I have ever have before, it only takes me 25 mins to get to the park.

Hammond is a genuinely interesting place. I have some bias of my own, since I was born and raised there, but it's true. Hammond was the basis for all of Jean Shepard's stories ("A Christmas Story", "A Summer Story", and his book "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash"). Alvah Roebuck, who teamed up with Richard Sears to go in the mail-order business, was from Hammond. Hammond was one of the founding cities of the NFL in 1920; the Hammond Pros played seven seasons, a part of that time under Fritz Pollard, the NFL's first African-American coach.

I agree that the people are more laid-back, and I would add unpretentious too. Hammond is a tired city, part of the aging rust belt, but to its credit it's still working, doing all the things you described. I hope it can reinvent itself because it's still blessed with a great location for commerce and recreation.

I still pine for when Hammond's downtown was healthier. This website (http://travel.webshots.com/album/548758428XPERcw) has a collection of photos from the '50s and '60s of Downtown Hammond when it was the retail center of The Region. This message board (http://www.sheptalk.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=158) on the Jean Shepard forum website has more Hammond history info and pictures.

History is good. You can't tell where you're going unless you know where you've been.

Thome25
02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread. We got alot of great info and stories on here.

If any of you think of anything else you want to add then keeps the posts coming!!!!

THANKS!!

Jurr
02-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Hammond is a genuinely interesting place. I have some bias of my own, since I was born and raised there, but it's true. Hammond was the basis for all of Jean Shepard's stories ("A Christmas Story", "A Summer Story", and his book "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash"). Alvah Roebuck, who teamed up with Richard Sears to go in the mail-order business, was from Hammond. Hammond was one of the founding cities of the NFL in 1920; the Hammond Pros played seven seasons, a part of that time under Fritz Pollard, the NFL's first African-American coach.

I agree that the people are more laid-back, and I would add unpretentious too. Hammond is a tired city, part of the aging rust belt, but to its credit it's still working, doing all the things you described. I hope it can reinvent itself because it's still blessed with a great location for commerce and recreation.

I still pine for when Hammond's downtown was healthier. This website (http://travel.webshots.com/album/548758428XPERcw) has a collection of photos from the '50s and '60s of Downtown Hammond when it was the retail center of The Region. This message board (http://www.sheptalk.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=158) on the Jean Shepard forum website has more Hammond history info and pictures.

History is good. You can't tell where you're going unless you know where you've been.
I go back to Hammond to visit my uncle every year. That's the staging point for my yearly Sox pilgrimage. I find it sad how run down the area has gotten, as I didn't remember it being quite so bad in the early 80's. I grew up in the Hessville side of Hammond.

The one thing I can say is that I didn't know any Cubs fans in that area...everybody fought to be on the Sox team in the little league. Maybe that was because of the 1983 campaign, but we were all pretty die hard Sox fans.

The other thing about Hammond is the fact that, despite everybody's concept of the town being very "dirty" and "poor", the people that live there are very pleasant. Yeah, if you go into a tavern, the people won't be sporting PhD's or MD's (or even college degrees), but they're smart, funny, and warm people.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-02-2007, 08:53 PM
The Region was full of " characters ". Unique, flawed, but fundamentally sound individuals. The unskilled labor market allowed for quirky personalities to develop. The oddball could make the same money as a regular guy, because in the end, they were both millrats. Because it was geographically small, and in many respects isolated, ( not that many people want to go there now, but try to tell someone how to get to the corner of Main and Broadway in E.C. ) there were ethnic ghettos throughout. In many respects, it was a small version of Chicago on steroids. Most high school grads didn't attend college, prior to the 1970's, so there were very few outside influences. Most of the people I described here were/are Sox fans. They identified with the South Side.
Now The Region is much more homogenized. It's also much larger, and I think more diluted. Ethnic enclaves are reduced to three. The large Mexican and Puerto Rican enclaves in E.C and Hammond, and the Serbian enclave in Schererville and Crown Point.
Well, I've rambled on long enough ( thank you Bass Ale ).

Bucky F. Dent
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I grew up in da region and loved it for just what E.C. Sox fan is talking about, the character, and characters. From the food to the people to the politics, the area had characters. It wasn't pleasantville by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a good place to grow up.

As for the Sox-Cubs thing, when I was a kid growing up in Highland and St. John it was Sox territory. My dad always came home from the mill w/ Sox ticket (never cubs), and when the parish priests took the altar boys to a ball game in the summer, it was always a sox game.