PDA

View Full Version : Yankees offer Bernie Williams minor league deal

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm sure another team would be happy to put him on their 25 man roster

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2750144&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

palehozenychicty
02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
The thing is that he is being stubborn about staying a Yankee when it's clear that as a non-roster invitee he's not wanted anymore. Sad, as I remember when Bernie first came up and played the Sox circa 1990. He had the tools to be a solid player, and has accomplished a lot with his career. Somebody could use him as a 5th outfielder.

itsnotrequired
02-01-2007, 10:23 AM
The thing is that he is being stubborn about staying a Yankee his entire career, when it's clear that as a non-roster invitee he's not wanted anymore. Sad, as I remember when Bernie first came up and played the Sox circa 1990. He had the tools to be a solid player, and has accomplished a lot with his career.

Bernie knows his situation. The real question is does he want to retire having played his entire career with the Yankees (and probably headed to Monument Park) or does he still have that desire to play and is willing to finish off his career on a team like the Orioles?

palehozenychicty
02-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Bernie knows his situation. The real question is does he want to retire having played his entire career with the Yankees (and probably headed to Monument Park) or does he still have that desire to play and is willing to finish off his career on a team like the Orioles?

Exactly. If he wants to play, then someone will pay him to play.

IndianWhiteSox
02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Not that I really give a **** agout the Yank$ or anything, but if they even had one or two brain cells left in their brain, Melky Cabrera would be in CF, Damon would be at 1b, that god awful platoon of Phillips and Minfjdsiofdjslk would be dropped and Berniw would be on their 25-man roster.

ewokpelts
02-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Not that I really give a **** agout the Yank$ or anything, but if they even had one or two brain cells left in their brain, Melky Cabrera would be in CF, Damon would be at 1b, that god awful platoon of Phillips and Minfjdsiofdjslk would be dropped and Berniw would be on their 25-man roster.damon at first? odd at best..

IndianWhiteSox
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
damon at first? odd at best..

Sure beats balco boy or their other options at first.

FedEx227
02-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Plus Damon and his 9-year old girl arm kills the CF position. He'd be a much better LF.

nysox35
02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Not that I really give a **** agout the Yank$ or anything, but if they even had one or two brain cells left in their brain, Melky Cabrera would be in CF, Damon would be at 1b, that god awful platoon of Phillips and Minfjdsiofdjslk would be dropped and Berniw would be on their 25-man roster.

Melky has improved in the field, but he was an absolute butcher during his short stint in CF during the 2005 season.
I doubt they'd do that.

I think they should just platoon Phillips and Giambi at 1B. They have enough offense as it is.

itsnotrequired
02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Melky has improved in the field, but he was an absolute butcher during his short stint in CF during the 2005 season.
I doubt they'd do that.

I think they should just platoon Phillips and Giambi at 1B. They have enough offense as it is.

Yep, Melky was terrible in 2005. He struggled in his first game in 2006 and people were thinking "here we go again" but he turned it around immediately and had an excellent 2006 season.