PDA

View Full Version : Clemens says he wants to pitch in the playoffs...

esbrechtel
02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Per MLB.com. The only question I have is who doesn't? I understand the guy is getting old and will only pitch for one of three teams (red sox, yanks, astros) but why is willing to pay him to only pitch for half the season and possibly the playoffs?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070131&content_id=1791532&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Fenway
02-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Please come to Boston
For the springtime
I'm stayin' here with some friends
And they've got lots of room
You can sell your paintings on the sidewalk
By a cafe where I hope to be workin' soon
Please come to Boston
She said no, boy you come home to me

palehozenychicty
02-01-2007, 09:13 AM
The whole Clemens saga is beyond tired. He can come to the AL and get lit up if he wishes.

Jerko
02-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Brett Clemens at it again I see. Make up your ****in mind already you drama queen.

WizardsofOzzie
02-01-2007, 09:28 AM
He's just as bad as Farve has been with this retirement BS. Seriously, quit being such a self absorbed ass!

IndianWhiteSox
02-01-2007, 09:39 AM
:whocares

I mean seriously, if this was a soap opera on TV, it would have gotten canceled by now. This is just absolutely absurd.

russ99
02-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, maybe if Clemens had deemed to show up 2 months earlier, Houston would have made up that one game difference that would have won them the division. The ego on this guy...

I'm so sick of this clown and his greedy superagents holding teams hostage every offseason. The Astros need to move on, and hopefully will. I can think of a lot of weaknesses they can address with that $12 million over 3 months he got last year and (i'm sure) he now wants a raise, which is what all his bluster is about anyway.

jenn2080
02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
He really needs to get over the Jordan Favre drama. Retire already!

AuroraSoxFan
02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
His yearly antics are not fair to any team which is straight BS if you ask me. He's had over 4 months to figure out if he wants to come back or not and make up his mind on who he'll "allow" to employ him. It would never happen but I think it would be cool if every GM in the league agreed to take a flier on him until he cuts the crap.

spiffie
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
His yearly antics are not fair to any team which is straight BS if you ask me. He's had over 4 months to figure out if he wants to come back or not and make up his mind on who he'll "allow" to employ him. It would never happen but I think it would be cool if every GM in the league agreed to take a flier on him until he cuts the crap.
Why isn't it fair? He's not under contract to any team right now. For 27 teams they have no interest whatsoever in this issue. If the Astros don't want him, all they have to do right now is say "we've decided to go in another direction. Good luck Roger, and we'll see you after you retire for good." Obviously the Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox have decided that the uncertainty, shortened schedule, and high contract needed to procure four months of Roger Clemens is worth more than filling a rotation spot with Wandy Rodriguez, Carl Pavano, or whomever the hell the Red Sox fifth starter will be this year for an entire season.

Right now Roger Clemens owes no one anything. If some team is willing to give into his terms in order to get his performance, that's their issue. Really, I don't much care where he goes. I suspect he'll have another good year if he stays in the NL, but would drop off considerably in the AL, leading the Red Sox or Yankees to be disappointed in their investment.

KRS1
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Funny. I told one of my fruends kast year that Roger was just going to keep on coming back as long as the dough was there, and at some point, teams will be bidding a million dollars per start just for the last month and the playoffs.

StillMissOzzie
02-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Funny. I told one of my fruends kast year that Roger was just going to keep on coming back as long as the dough was there, and at some point, teams will be bidding a million dollars per start just for the last month and the playoffs.

I think that any team would need him on the roster before that in order to make him eligible for post-season play. The stretch run, yes...the playoffs, no.

SMO
:?:

champagne030
02-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I think that any team would need him on the roster before that in order to make him eligible for post-season play. The stretch run, yes...the playoffs, no.

SMO
:?:

I believe he would need to be on the roster 8/31. Or later if they put someone on the DL in September.

AuroraSoxFan
02-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Why isn't it fair? He's not under contract to any team right now. For 27 teams they have no interest whatsoever in this issue. If the Astros don't want him, all they have to do right now is say "we've decided to go in another direction. Good luck Roger, and we'll see you after you retire for good." Obviously the Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox have decided that the uncertainty, shortened schedule, and high contract needed to procure four months of Roger Clemens is worth more than filling a rotation spot with Wandy Rodriguez, Carl Pavano, or whomever the hell the Red Sox fifth starter will be this year for an entire season.

Right now Roger Clemens owes no one anything. If some team is willing to give into his terms in order to get his performance, that's their issue. Really, I don't much care where he goes. I suspect he'll have another good year if he stays in the NL, but would drop off considerably in the AL, leading the Red Sox or Yankees to be disappointed in their investment.

I don't really care where he ends up either. I don't think it's right what he has done the last few years with his soap opera garbage. I really think if he wants to play it should be finalized before every other player in the ML reports to ST. Had he done that last year HOU probably would have made the playoffs. I guess you're right though. If clubs allow him to get away with it that is on them.

Chicken Dinner
02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
He's ruining his reputation with his yearly antics. He needs to just fade away. God this is getting old already and spring training hasn't even started yet.

PennStater98r
02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
He's ruining his reputation with his yearly antics. He needs to just fade away. God this is getting old already and spring training hasn't even started yet.

I disagree - big time. The stats are still there so that his reputation is still that of a great pitcher. He might be an *******, but people have always thought of Clemens as an *******. Do I need to bring Mike Piazza on here to get that validated?

Anyway, I don't think he's changing any part of his reputation that isn't already there. Now, if he hangs on to break Nolan Ryan's strikeout record while goign 2-15 with an ERA of 5.86, that's when his reputation would be tarnished. I would have to start calling him "Charlie" Clemens at that point.

Murphy10
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I really hope he doesn't come back. Because if he does then ESPN will have the countdown to Clemens on the bottom of the TV, and they would talk about it non stop. Seriously it gets so annoying. And if he wants to pitch in the playoffs tell him to come to the southside. But of the actual choices he has, i say go to the Yankees. The reason he didn't have an absurd number of wins last year was because of the 'stros offense... So if he wants a good offense just go to the yankmees roger.
This all gets me so upset.