PDA

View Full Version : It's all about depth

StatManDu
01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
The more I look at this roster (and shake off the disappointment from 2006) from top to bottom, the more excited I get about the 2007 season.

Darrin Erstad ... Toby Hall ... Junior Spivey ....

In the pre-World Series years, players such as those would probably be starters or vie for starting slots. Now, of course, they are backups, insurance policies. I liken the signing of Darin Erstad to the Bears' signing of Brian Griese in case Rex Grossman flamed out or got injured again.

I am racking my brain but I think when you consider highly-regarded prospects such as Sweeney and Fields, the regulards and the acquisition of Erstad, Hall and Spivey, this may be the most "fortified" roster the White Sox have taken to spring training in a long time ... maybe ever?

The problem comes, of course, is if the starting lineup is: Sweeney, Anderson, Ozuna, Fields, Spivey, Cintron, Erstad and Hall.

AJ Hellraiser
01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Spivey will not be seeing any time at the ML level... he is a minor leaguer just brought in for his experience and as an insurance policy should something go wrong with Tadahito... if Spivey is getting much playing time for us we are in a lot of trouble... Hall and Erstad on the other hand are good additions

balke
01-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I like Spivey to come up and give Iguchi a rest every now and then. I guess if something happens to Uribe, Spivey can take Cintron's spot on the bench.

I don't think the quality of the depth is that great by the way. I also don't think the starting rotation is deep in any sense. I see all this average talent laying around, and keep hoping Kenny is going to make a move of some kind, whether it prepares the Sox for future seasons, or this one. If he can get something for Iguchi and wants to give Cintron a starting spot, I'd be all for it. I want a clue as to who he intends on resigning next season. Now, and up to the trade deadline, maybe he can find something worth building around. As of right now, without a solid #5, no promise of Anderson to perform well, and with Uribe's dead bat still in the infield I'm not too up on this team which is competing with the Tigers this season.

crazyozzie02
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Erstad is more than a insurance plan. He gives us a good back-up outfielder (probably can be used anywhere) and might have the chance to start, espically in left

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I like Spivey to come up and give Iguchi a rest every now and then. I guess if something happens to Uribe, Spivey can take Cintron's spot on the bench.

I don't think the quality of the depth is that great by the way. I also don't think the starting rotation is deep in any sense. I see all this average talent laying around, and keep hoping Kenny is going to make a move of some kind, whether it prepares the Sox for future seasons, or this one. If he can get something for Iguchi and wants to give Cintron a starting spot, I'd be all for it. I want a clue as to who he intends on resigning next season. Now, and up to the trade deadline, maybe he can find something worth building around. As of right now, without a solid #5, no promise of Anderson to perform well, and with Uribe's dead bat still in the infield I'm not too up on this team which is competing with the Tigers this season.

There's no way in H-LL I would get rid of Iguchi for Cintron at 2B.

Chez
01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
I view these signings more as an indictment on the sad state of our minor league system than as an attempt to add depth. That we don't have a single middle infielder in the system who provides KW with the same degree of comfort as the great Junior Spivey is mildly troubling. And FWIW, rather than signing Darrin Erstad (whose best days are behind him), I'd rather the Sox have given Sweeney and/or Owens a shot.

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Sweeney and Owens are not regular MLB CFer's and probably never will be.

If you want to debate who should get the bulk of the playing time in LF (Erstad, Ozuna, Mackowiak, Sweeney, Owens), then that's another question altogether to be debated.

But the whole problem last year was we had no credible insurance policy, so to speak, for BA. Mackowiak cost us 3-4 games out there, arguably. I'm not going to be simplistic (overly) and claim he cost us the pennant, or Ozzie's stubbornness, or KW, but it was brutal. No problems with DE at all, especially at that money, when Gil Meche is getting $11 million.

cws05champ
01-31-2007, 11:11 PM
There's no way in H-LL I would get rid of Iguchi for Cintron at 2B.

AMEN!!! Iguchi is one of those "glue" type players that makes this a team instead of individual players. He is relatively cheap this year, has a good bat, is consistent, plays good D and does all the little things asked of him. I hope we lock him up to another 3 + years.

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 11:16 PM
AMEN!!! Iguchi is one of those "glue" type players that makes this a team instead of individual players. He is relatively cheap this year, has a good bat, is consistent, plays good D and does all the little things asked of him. I hope we lock him up to another 3 + years.

I would feel more comfortable with another two, plus an option for 2010. That would be about the end. Although KW might just try to get a one year deal with option for 09. Either works for me.

I have no illusions of Chris Getz (aka the David Ecstein/Aaron Miles of 2B prospects) being an All-Star. Seems more like a utility player to me.