PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Gas on the Fire

WhiteSox5187
01-31-2007, 09:35 AM
A couple of baseball players filmed a commercial for New Era caps in New York yesterday, amongst them was Justin Morneau who told the New York Times the following:
“I got an idea about how to stay warm,” said Morneau, the 2006 American League most valuable player, as he shuffled between the street and a dressing room at the back of the store. “I could find all the White Sox (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/chicagowhitesox/index.html?inline=nyt-org) hats and light them on fire.”

See, this reminds of me of 2005 when the Twins aired a commercial of a janitor sweeping a champagne soaked clubhouse with a White Sox jersey. Well, how did that turn out? The Sox are a GREAT team and when they get angry, they play better. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to give the Sox any sorta clubhouse material that paints a giant bull's eye on your back.

We're gonna kick the crap out of those Minnesota hicks this year and we're gonna kick the crap out of the rest of the AL.

WizardsofOzzie
01-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Such a classy guy!! :rolleyes:
He's really gonna wish he hadn't said that come baseball season :angry:

oeo
01-31-2007, 09:44 AM
This team was lacking a fire when they played the Twins. In 2005, after three years of second place, they owned the Twins. Last year it was like they didn't care.
This is the type of thing that will get them fired up again.

What's really funny, is his team is built for the regular season...four division championships in the last five years and NO championships.

I do kind of like the Sox getting that kind of disrespect, though. In a way, Morneau is saying how much he respects the team; otherwise he wouldn't have anything to say about the Sox, now would he?

jenn2080
01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
He is a real class act. What a ****ing *******!

Mr.1Dog
01-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Does anyone else smell that? It smells like fear from Justin's end.

CLR01
01-31-2007, 09:53 AM
OMG...He made a joke about burning some hats to stay warm. That low class *******.

:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
01-31-2007, 09:56 AM
OMG...He made a joke about burning some hats to stay warm. That low class *******.

Agreed.

*cue overused Gary Coleman imagery*

AuroraSoxFan
01-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Just TV commercial antics. I get sick of hearing that guy's mouth though. Would not mind a little chin music or some spikes heading his direction. He clearly isn't going to be quiet on his own. So if the Sox really feel dissed over it they'll just have to take it into their own hands and shut him up.

Beer Can Chicken
01-31-2007, 09:57 AM

Agreed.

I actually think it's pretty funny. People need to 'lighten' up. <- Pun

Dan Mega
01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Do the White Sox players really care? Probably not, and neither should we.

CLR01
01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
People need to 'lighten' up. <- Pun

:rolling:

He's on fire folks.

cbotnyse
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Agreed.

I actually think it's pretty funny. People need to 'lighten' up. <- Punhttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/eusa_clap.gif :D:

AuroraSoxFan
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
I really don't care about the dumb commercial. But that guy has made a lot of other remarks on the Sox. And I am sure he'll make quite a few more until someone puts an end to it.

Juice16
01-31-2007, 10:18 AM
It's funny how the White Sox always were the bad guys in this rivalry but the s**t talking always comes from the Twins.

roylestillman
01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
The fact that we're even mentioned is a big step up from the obscurity of 5 years ago.

SoxSpeed22
01-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Since keeping us out of the playoffs was more important to the Twins than winning in the playoffs... I hope Ozzie is keeping tabs on all this.

BlackAndWhite
01-31-2007, 10:51 AM
This thread should be fun...

(An excerpt from http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/sports/baseball/30base.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

Along with five other players — Minnesota’s Justin Morneau, Detroit’s Justin Verlander, Boston’s Jonathan Papelbon, St. Louis’s David Eckstein and the Yankees’ Robinson Canó — they were filming a commercial for new baseball caps under the direction of Spike Lee.

The hats, manufactured by New Era, are designed to absorb sweat more efficiently, and they have a new black underside to the bill intended to reduce glare. Over and over, from 7 a.m. till noon, the players filmed the ad with 10-minute breaks from the cold.

“I got an idea about how to stay warm,” said Morneau, the 2006 American League most valuable player, as he shuffled between the street and a dressing room at the back of the store. “I could find all the White Sox (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/chicagowhitesox/index.html?inline=nyt-org) hats and light them on fire.”

jenn2080
01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
A little late. This is already in Whats the Score.

BlackAndWhite
01-31-2007, 10:55 AM
A little late. This is already in Whats the Score.

D'oh! My search-fu is weak...

chisoxmike
01-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I wish the Sox players showed just a little hate for the Twins. Especially Ozzie.

chisoxmike
01-31-2007, 11:04 AM
The Twins are built to win the division and thats it.

That being said, I wish the Sox players, especially Ozzie, would show just a little hate or fight with the Twins every once in a while.

tstrike2000
01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Yes, it was a joke. Hopefully though, it will be just that much more motivation to stick it to the Twins in '07.

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 11:07 AM
What animals eat Piranhas? The Year of the Alligator doesn't exactly work for me...or the Year of the Evil Cichlids. Not catchy, lol.

How about Anacondas 2007 >>> Piranhas 2006. Okay, it's hopeless.

Or, The White Sox will strip the skeleton of the AL Central faster than a pack of Ravenous Piranhas!

chisoxmike
01-31-2007, 11:07 AM
How about no animals, just ****ing win?

:dunno:

HerzogVon
01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Scene: KW standing in the Sox clubhouse, hand on chin, appearing deep in contemplation.

KW: "I wonder what Martineau?"

Thought balloon appears over Kenny's head containing the aforementioned commercial. Suddenly, the fire bursts out of control, quickly enveloping the room and chasing the Twinky out in a state of panic. Cut to an exterior shot - obviously a model - showing the Twins stadium engulfed in flames.

Final caption superimposed on screen - and this is open to any suggestions for improvement - "HICKS IN THE STICKS BEST BE CAREFUL HOW THEY GET THEIR KICKS." Something about playing with fire might also work. :tongue:

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey, there's a great motto that fits Ozzie perfectly.

We should all chip in to make t-shirts for ST and send them to Ozzie. "Sox 2007, Just F-ing Win!"

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Well, Morneau is Canadian. Not quite as much fun as if he was French. Although he probably can directly his ancestry back to the Land of Grey Poupon and http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0415306/Ss/0415306/13373_r.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Baron%20Cohen,%20Sacha

twsoxfan5
01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
To me it seems like this happens every year with the other teams in our division. It seems like they all take shots at the Sox rather than any of the other teams in our division. I like that the other teams seem to worry about us the most even though we didn't win the division last year. Why doesn't Justin want to burn Tigers hats to keep warm? I think it is b/c we are viewed as the biggest team with the highest payroll in our divsion and all the other teams our jealous.

tick53
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Morneau can bite us all! I hate that SOB.:angry:

ewokpelts
01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
i never understood all the hate twinkie players have for the sox...they have 4 division titles in five years....sox have one......

Thome25
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Just TV commercial antics. I get sick of hearing that guy's mouth though. Would not mind a little chin music or some spikes heading his direction. He clearly isn't going to be quiet on his own. So if the Sox really feel dissed over it they'll just have to take it into their own hands and shut him up.

I agree with this post completely. Morneau has opened his mouth one too many times.

If this was the old days with hard-nosed, old school baseball at the very least Morneau would get some chin music for sure. I say plunk him a couple of times or spike him for sure.

What would some of the old time players have done if someone was running their mouths like this?

It's time to start an all-out war with the Twins. Yankees-Red Sox style. What happened between Varitek and AROD a couple of years ago?

How many championships do the Twins have to show for all of those division titles?

SOX ADDICT '73
01-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Take it as a compliment...the Tigers nearly took the division last year AND went to the World Series, but the Twins still see the Sox as their biggest rival.

palehozenychicty
01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Morneau yapping is getting tired. He needs to at least be thrown inside. I hope that Ozzie drops the piranha fetish soon. :(:

Chez
01-31-2007, 03:05 PM
i never understood all the hate twinkie players have for the sox...they have 4 division titles in five years....sox have one......

Me neither. Years ago, I remember Hawk getting into it with Kent Hrbeck over something petty (I think Hrbeck objected to Hawk's "grab some bench" schtick), but since then the Sox players, announcers and current manager have generally been nothing but complimentary about the Twins organization and style of ball. Oh well, it's always nice to have rivals.

Uncle_Patrick
01-31-2007, 03:07 PM
To me it seems like this happens every year with the other teams in our division. It seems like they all take shots at the Sox rather than any of the other teams in our division. I like that the other teams seem to worry about us the most even though we didn't win the division last year. Why doesn't Justin want to burn Tigers hats to keep warm? I think it is b/c we are viewed as the biggest team with the highest payroll in our divsion and all the other teams our jealous.

This is a good observation. I've noticed that when I've looked at message boards for other AL Central teams in the past, most of the fan animosity is directed at the White Sox. I know many of these fans look at the Sox as a big market team in a small market division (which is pretty much true) and that the Sox can toss around money where these other teams can't. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this attitude carries over to the teams themselves.

MUsoxfan
01-31-2007, 03:14 PM
I love it. I love how this has started before Spring Training. Nothing better in baseball than some verbal sparring to get the rivalry heated up.

Sox' turn

AuroraSoxFan
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I agree with this post completely. Morneau has opened his mouth one too many times.

If this was the old days with hard-nosed, old school baseball at the very least Morneau would get some chin music for sure. I say plunk him a couple of times or spike him for sure.

What would some of the old time players have done if someone was running their mouths like this?

It's time to start an all-out war with the Twins. Yankees-Red Sox style. What happened between Varitek and AROD a couple of years ago?

How many championships do the Twins have to show for all of those division titles?

Title of the thread was throwing gas on the FIRE. Fire, IMO, is something the Sox need to play with a bit more of in 07. If you ask me, they tolerated far too much BS. Too many hitters getting plunked w/o any retaliation, guys like Morneau running their mouths etc. I hope they let it be known early and often that they are not gonna have that kinda garbage.

Uncle_Patrick
01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
I love it. I love how this has started before Spring Training. Nothing better in baseball than some verbal sparring to get the rivalry heated up.

Sox' turn

It'd be nice to see the Sox get a little more worked up about the Twins. Unfortunately, it seems like all they want to do is talk about what a great team the Twins are.

drewcifer
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
What I want to know is where Morneau is going to find these White Sox hats in Greenwich Village (or anywhere within 500 mi. of NYC)...

Good luck, douche.

palehozenychicty
01-31-2007, 03:36 PM
What I want to know is where Morneau is going to find these White Sox hats in Greenwich Village (or anywhere within 500 mi. of NYC)...

Good luck, douche.

The New Era store on Bond and Lafayette Street. :redneck

DumpJerry
01-31-2007, 03:56 PM
You answered your own question.

areilly
01-31-2007, 03:59 PM
I LOVE BASEBALL RIVALRIES and I would like to thank Justin Morneau for keeping this one alive. I'm glad someone hates the Sox, and I'm glad an entire team has made it their mission to spite another. Give us as fans a reason to be more emotionally invested in it. Make us care. Make us want to see you suffer brutal embarrassment at the hands of our favorite team.

So when does the Sox' anti-Twins commercial come out?

johnr1note
01-31-2007, 04:09 PM
This is a good observation. I've noticed that when I've looked at message boards for other AL Central teams in the past, most of the fan animosity is directed at the White Sox. I know many of these fans look at the Sox as a big market team in a small market division (which is pretty much true) and that the Sox can toss around money where these other teams can't. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this attitude carries over to the teams themselves.

I've noticed this too. Even friends I have who grew up in Northwest Iowa following the Twins and now live in the Chicago area HATE the White Sox passionately. They can't stand being referred to as the "Twinkies," yet, as I observe thier message boards on the net, they refer to our team as the "b**ch sox." Who should be more offended?

I hope we stomp all over them!

Thome25
01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
I've noticed this too. Even friends I have who grew up in Northwest Iowa following the Twins and now live in the Chicago area HATE the White Sox passionately. They can't stand being referred to as the "Twinkies," yet, as I observe thier message boards on the net, they refer to our team as the "b**ch sox." Who should be more offended?

I hope we stomp all over them!

I was at a Best Buy in Minnesota a few years ago (picking up the new Uncle Kracker CD.) and I was wearing my Sox spring training cap backwards and a black windshirt with the Sox diamond logo on it.

I'm in the aisle looking for my CD and this guy who looked to be around my age looks me up and down and gives me this look like I had just called his mother a bad name.

I honestly thought I was going to get in a tussle coming outta the Best Buy. Bottom line is: The Twins players and fans HATE the White Sox.

It's about time the Sox and their fans start showing some of that hate right back at 'em.

itsnotrequired
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
I was at a Best Buy in Minnesota a few years ago (picking up the new Uncle Kracker CD.) and I was wearing my Sox spring training cap backwards and a black windshirt with the Sox diamond logo on it.

I'm in the aisle looking for my CD and this guy who looked to be around my age looks me up and down and gives me this look like I had just called his mother a bad name.

I honestly thought I was going to get in a tussle coming outta the Best Buy. Bottom line is: The Twins players and fans HATE the White Sox.

It's about time the Sox and their fans start showing some of that hate right back at 'em.

I was in the Durango, CO airport yesterday and was sporting my Sox hoodie. The lady at the x-ray machine asked if my sweatshirt said "Sex".

I wasn't able to find out if she liked Uncle Kracker or not.

Chez
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM

Are you sure the guy's look wasn't directed at your decision to purchase an Uncle Kracker CD? :D:

johnr1note
01-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Here's another example:

http://www.bat-girl.com/games/hangsox.php

I don't even think our fan base's "Flubsession" ever gets this bad!

Thome25
01-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Are you sure the guy's look wasn't directed at your decision to purchase an Uncle Kracker CD? :D:

could be:tongue: I've HATED the Twins since 1991 when they dashed the White Sox playoff hopes and went on to beat the Braves in the WS. Those were the Hrbek, Puckett, Shane Mack days.

CLR01
01-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Here's another example:

http://www.bat-girl.com/games/hangsox.php

I don't even think our fan base's "Flubsession" ever gets this bad!

Bat-girl is a rare breed of psycho.

esbrechtel
01-31-2007, 04:52 PM
I have always hated the twins, indians and tigers....ESPECIALLY THE TWINS!!! I feel a true sox fan would cheer for the cubs in the world series if they played the twins...I know I would...

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
could be:tongue: I've HATED the Twins since 1991 when they dashed the White Sox playoff hopes and went on to beat the Braves in the WS. Those were the Hrbek, Puckett, Shane Mack days.

Gaetti was the one I disliked the most, he looked like a rat/weasel.

And I never was a huge Jack Morris fan either, that guy was smug.

Thome25
01-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I have always hated the twins, indians and tigers....ESPECIALLY THE TWINS!!! I feel a true sox fan would cheer for the cubs in the world series if they played the twins...I know I would...

A true Sox fan would turn off the TV and act like the WS wasn't even played if the Twins and Cubs got there.

The Cubs are number 1 on the list of my most hated teams. The Twins are number 1A.

Uncle_Patrick
01-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Bat-girl is a rare breed of psycho.

Eh...Bat-girl is mostly just silly. Leslie, aka Timberwolf, on the other hand, has taken "psycho" to an all new level.

AuroraSoxFan
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM

If that ever happened I'd just go to Mexico for a week and a half or so and tell someone to call me when it's over.

itsnotrequired
01-31-2007, 05:10 PM

A true baseball fan would watch the games for what they are and not root for either team. I wasn't rooting for either team in the 2006 WS but I still watched the games.

DickAllen72
01-31-2007, 05:17 PM
This team was lacking a fire when they played the Twins. In 2005, after three years of second place, they owned the Twins.

Thanks, in large part, to Carl Everett.

caulfield12
01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Don't forget Harris, Rowand and Thomas, lol. (Another way to get a gratuitious AR mention in there....he leads all MLB fourth outfielders in message board "shout outs" by a 451-3 ratio over the portly Marcus Thames).

veeter
01-31-2007, 08:19 PM
I really don't care about the dumb commercial. But that guy has made a lot of other remarks on the Sox. And I am sure he'll make quite a few more until someone puts an end to it.Exactly. I remember his ABC remark, "anybody but chicago". But like someone else said, the Sox bug him. He even thinks about them all off-season. I think we still owe the twinks for the Jamie Burke blind side. I hope the Sox shut them up this year.

PKalltheway
01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Just keep talking, Justin. Talking smack about the Sox isn't going to get you a World Series ring any faster.

thomas35forever
01-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Perfect solution: Since the Tigers are still the strongest team in the Central in my opinion, they and the Sox should join forces and beat the crap out of the Twins every time they play them. Then, they both can get into the playoffs and laugh at the Twinkies and their fans.

Grzegorz
01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
I wish the Sox players showed just a little hate for the Twins. Especially Ozzie.

You got that right...