PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Stewart

chaotic8512
01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
It's probably nothing, but it's certainly worth noting.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16575986.htm

The Marlins were one of several teams on hand to watch outfielder Shannon Stewart provide a private workout Friday at Miami-Dade Community College.
Stewart, who turns 33 next month, could be considered an option to play center field. But he has played just 98 games at the position during a career that began with Toronto in 1995, none since 2000. And he has been plagued by ailments in both feet in recent years.
A career .299 hitter with 102 home runs, Stewart was limited to 44 games last season with the Minnesota Twins. He also was being scouted by the Mariners, A's, Rangers, Angels, Reds, Padres and White Sox.

CashMan
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
It's probably nothing, but it's certainly worth noting.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16575986.htm

That is about 2 weeks old. The Sox looked at Stewart before signing Erstad.

01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
They choose Erstad, came cheaper

chaotic8512
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
The article's date is listed as today, and if that workout was this past Friday, that's the 26th. We signed Erstad on the 25th. They may be reporting really old news, and yeah, it probably wouldn't happen because we indeed did sign Erstad... just passing along the news. :redface:

thedudeabides
01-30-2007, 02:36 PM

What was Stewart's asking price?

Zisk77
01-30-2007, 02:45 PM
He wanted Cliff Floyd money since he is hurt less. :redneck

Juice16
02-03-2007, 10:01 AM

Which we all know this means Stewert will sign with a team and have an exceptional year while Erstad busts.

Dan Mega
02-08-2007, 06:23 PM
SI reports he signed with the A's:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/02/08/bc.bba.athletics.stewart.ap/index.html

guillen4life13
02-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Cheaper than Erstad huh?

DSpivack
02-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Ahh, he and Kielty will be backups. I remember seeing one of Bobby Kielty's last games as a Twin at USCF, he fell down twice in the outfield; sitting in the bleachers that warm summer day was great. :cool: And then they traded him to Toronto and got Shannon Stewart.

thedudeabides
02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Ahh, he and Kielty will be backups. I remember seeing one of Bobby Kielty's last games as a Twin at USCF, he fell down twice in the outfield; sitting in the bleachers that warm summer day was great. :cool: And then they traded him to Toronto and got Shannon Stewart.

I would guess this will move Nick Swisher to first most of the time.

Domeshot17
02-08-2007, 11:27 PM
My guess was Shannon to the OF, Swisher to 1b, Johnson to DH

caulfield12
02-09-2007, 01:12 AM
My guess was Shannon to the OF, Swisher to 1b, Johnson to DH

Or Shannon to DH and Johnson to the bench

FedEx227
02-10-2007, 03:58 PM
They like to move Swisher back and forth depending on the matchup. But I could see him, as a result of this signing, take on maybe 30-40 more games at 1B. But it depends on how healthy/quick Stewart still is.

Arkham
02-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Piazza's going to be Oakland's DH until he hurts himself or proves he can't hit AL pitching. (My guess, he won't hit like Frank did last year, but he'll hit well enough to keep his job). Where you put the other five guys is going to settle itself soon enough, because I doubt Kotsay, Bradley and Stewart are all going to stay healthy throughout the year.

caulfield12
02-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Piazza's going to be Oakland's DH until he hurts himself or proves he can't hit AL pitching. (My guess, he won't hit like Frank did last year, but he'll hit well enough to keep his job). Where you put the other five guys is going to settle itself soon enough, because I doubt Kotsay, Bradley and Stewart are all going to stay healthy throughout the year.

I think losing Payton and Byrnes over time will come to haunt them. Beane is getting more and more desperate with his acquisitions, rolling the dice like a riverboat gambler.

Where he really had things break his way was cutting Hudson lose and getting Haren and Calero back for Mulder. Haren can be spun off in a year or two for more young pitchers and the "cycle" can continue.

FWIW, they really need Harden to mature (and stay healthy) into the staff ace to become a WS-contending team, and it just doesn't seem possible with their offense losing key pieces year after year.

Arkham
02-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I think losing Payton and Byrnes over time will come to haunt them. Beane is getting more and more desperate with his acquisitions, rolling the dice like a riverboat gambler.

Byrnes is a platoon player who hits lefties so well it hides the fact that he's absolutely god-awful against right-handed pitching. Last year he hit .323 against lefties, but only .244 against righties.

Payton hits for a higher average, but has much less power. There are good examples of players Beane should have held onto (Teahen, Tejada, maybe Harang, although you can make the case that Harang wouldn't have been good enough to break into Oakland's rotation when it was Hudson/Mulder/Zito/Lilly/Harden, and would never have been able to mature the way he has in Cincy) but neither of the two you named are one of them.

Stewart's certainly not much in the way of risk, given his base salary is $1M. It's pretty much in line with the Erstad deal, only we wanted someone who could play center, so Stewart wasn't an option for us.

caulfield12
02-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Byrnes is a platoon player who hits lefties so well it hides the fact that he's absolutely god-awful against right-handed pitching. Last year he hit .323 against lefties, but only .244 against righties.

Payton hits for a higher average, but has much less power. There are good examples of players Beane should have held onto (Teahen, Tejada, maybe Harang, although you can make the case that Harang wouldn't have been good enough to break into Oakland's rotation when it was Hudson/Mulder/Zito/Lilly/Harden, and would never have been able to mature the way he has in Cincy) but neither of the two you named are one of them.

Stewart's certainly not much in the way of risk, given his base salary is $1M. It's pretty much in line with the Erstad deal, only we wanted someone who could play center, so Stewart wasn't an option for us.

Players like Byrnes and Payton are winning players. They might not stand out statistically, but you always see them on playoff teams, seemingly. They are the "grinder" type players that do the little things that don't show up in a box score, and they always hustle.

You forgot Jeremy Bonderman, perhaps their biggest loss.

Arkham
02-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Players like Byrnes and Payton are winning players. They might not stand out statistically, but you always see them on playoff teams, seemingly.

Uh, what? The only playoff teams Byrnes and Payton have been on (other than Payton's rookie year with the 2000 Mets) have been the A's.

They are the "grinder" type players that do the little things that don't show up in a box score, and they always hustle.

Was getting into a shoving match with Jason Varitek during the 2003 ALDS one of those 'little things' (whereas actually touching home plate would have shown up in a box score...)

You forgot Jeremy Bonderman, perhaps their biggest loss.

Good call, although he was a 19 year-old A-ball pitcher when they traded him. I don't think any team but Detroit would have run him straight from high-A to the majors.

caulfield12
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Uh, what? The only playoff teams Byrnes and Payton have been on (other than Payton's rookie year with the 2000 Mets) have been the A's.

Was getting into a shoving match with Jason Varitek during the 2003 ALDS one of those 'little things' (whereas actually touching home plate would have shown up in a box score...)

Good call, although he was a 19 year-old A-ball pitcher when they traded him. I don't think any team but Detroit would have run him straight from high-A to the majors.

Payton was on the 2005 Red Sox team as well.

Didn't the White Sox just bring up Boone Logan from A-ball to the majors on a team trying to repeat? Now relievers are different, but Ozzie wouldn't be afraid to take someone with Bonderman's talent over Gavin Floyd if we actually had someone like that in our system.

Arkham
02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Hard to count that '05 season given they traded him, and given Logan's year last year, I think it's safe to say the kid could use some more seasoning in the minors.