PDA

View Full Version : Bonds deal finalized :(

SouthSide_HitMen
01-29-2007, 10:55 PM
One (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070129&content_id=1789025&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp) year, $15.8 million.

Outside of Clemens, I wonder if more than a couple of the remaining free agents will be signed:

Sandy Alomar Jr
Tony Armas
David Bell
Ronnie Belliard
Vinny Castilla
Bruce Chen
Eddie Guardado
Rick Helling
Matt Herges
Todd Hollandsworth
Brian Jordan
Dan Kolb
Ricky Ledee
Kent Mercker
Phil Nevin
Chan Ho Park
Eduardo Perez
Mark Redman
Shannon Stewart
Steve Trachsel
Michael Tucker
Ron Villone
Jose Vizcaino
Rick White
Chris Widger
Bernie Williams
Eric Young

MUsoxfan
01-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Tony Armas
Ronnie Belliard
Bruce Chen
Eddie Guardado
Todd Hollandsworth
Dan Kolb
Phil Nevin
Mark Redman
Shannon Stewart
Steve Trachsel
Michael Tucker

I have a feeling the above players will get a deal. It may be a minor league deal, but I have a feeling some of the small market teams will take a flyer on these guys hoping they'll pan out

Vernam
01-29-2007, 11:48 PM
ESPN reports that the deal prohibits Bonds's personal trainers from entering the Giants clubhouse. :rolling:

Vernam

Fenway
01-29-2007, 11:51 PM
SF reaction

Bonds Is Back (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/30/BONDS.TMP)
Deal finalized after Giants' slugger passes physical late Monday.
http://www.sfgate.com/graphics/homepage/blackdot5x7.gifKnapp: Bonds' chance to show human side (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/30/KNAPP.TMP)
http://www.sfgate.com/graphics/homepage/blackdot5x7.gifGood move or not? Comment in Giants blog (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/indexn?blogid=22)

AJ Hellraiser
01-30-2007, 01:01 AM
DAMN IT... I really hope he breaks his leg before he can break the record... and if he does it on the road, I sincerely hope people boo him and throw things at him...:angry: :angry: :angry:

QCIASOXFAN
01-30-2007, 01:06 AM
DAMN IT... I really hope he breaks his leg before he can break the record... and if he does it on the road, I sincerely hope people boo him and throw things at him...:angry: :angry: :angry:
Classy. :thumbsup:

AJ Hellraiser
01-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Classy. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but the man cheated an entire sport... and when he breaks the record it's not just going to be this generation it's going to effect every generation... if you don't realize this, you're lieing to yourself...Bonds would never be in a position to break the record if not for the roids.. plain and simple

chaotic8512
01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
No worries, it won't stand for long when Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols reach their late 30's... that is IF Bonds makes it, which is still a bit in question.

SOXPHILE
01-30-2007, 01:00 PM
I would LOVE to have some indictments come down against his HGH bloated ass on a game day, and see him get led out of the ballpark in his Giants uniform, with his hands handcuffed behind him.

WizardsofOzzie
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Must be "Sign an ass clown day" :?:

SoxyStu
01-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, it was obvious a deal would be reached, but I'm curious as to the contract legalese of his pending indictment. I haven't seen it disclosed as of yet...

WhiteSox5187
01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I would LOVE to have some indictments come down against his HGH bloated ass on a game day, and see him get led out of the ballpark in his Giants uniform, with his hands handcuffed behind him.
THAT would be great. Oh! That's what I'm hoping happens now, at first it was that he wouldn't get it, now I'm hoping he gets arrested ON THE FIELD.

Hokiesox
01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I hope people don't throw things at him, that's illegal and would get the fans hauled into court. Booing is a different matter. Not sure I condone that either. Perhaps silence would be the best way to go. You know, the type of silence that tells him nobody cares?

Grzegorz
01-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Bonds would never be in a position to break the record if not for the roids.. plain and simple

Knowledgeable fans know this; history will not be kind to Barry Bonds.

FedEx227
01-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I hope people don't throw things at him, that's illegal and would get the fans hauled into court. Booing is a different matter. Not sure I condone that either. Perhaps silence would be the best way to go. You know, the type of silence that tells him nobody cares?

That'd be a great thing for fans in a city to do. When the name is announced, when he's up, whatever... complete silence. Hell everyone stand up and walk to the concession stands.

Flight #24
01-30-2007, 09:52 PM

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/6384.jpg
"What you got against me?":tongue:

StepsInSC
01-30-2007, 10:10 PM

:XL
"Indeedie"

IlliniSox4Life
01-31-2007, 02:17 AM
Well, all hope is not lost yet. Apparently the commish didn't approve the contract. It is being revised.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2748744

itsnotrequired
01-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Sorry, but the man cheated an entire sport... and when he breaks the record it's not just going to be this generation it's going to effect every generation

Baseball has weathered larger storms than Bonds and will undoubtedly weather larger storms in the future.

WizardsofOzzie
01-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, all hope is not lost yet. Apparently the commish didn't approve the contract. It is being revised.

Good move by the Giants getting Bonds to agree that if he is indited the Giants can terminate the contract. Oh please lord let it happen :praying:

downstairs
01-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Not so fast.... MLB rejected the contract:

Hmmmmmm.... wonder if MLB is just going to keep rejecting and rejecting and rejecting until the guy retires or becomes 60 years old....

WizardsofOzzie
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Not so fast.... MLB rejected the contract:

Hmmmmmm.... wonder if MLB is just going to keep rejecting and rejecting and rejecting until the guy retires or becomes 60 years old....
IlliniSox posted the same link 4 posts up

Frontman
01-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Selig is playing both sides against the middle, as to make the Giants either ignore the fact Bonds might go to trial and then eat the money they owe him, or else make the Giants into the villain and say to Barry, "See, THEY weren't willing to play ball (pardon the pun) and lift that condition of your contract.

Bastard should of taken a stand 10 freakin' years ago, then none of this would of happened.

Front

AJ Hellraiser
02-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Baseball has weathered larger storms than Bonds and will undoubtedly weather larger storms in the future.

They might in the future, but they haven't in the past... mark my words, by the time all the steroid information is released whether it be in 5 years, 10 years or 25 years it will go down as the biggest scandal in professional sports history...

More players than you would care to believe were doing them.. my guess is 50-75% at one point... All owners and GM's knew about it, including Selig and they turned their back to it because from 1998 on, more tickets were being sold and owners were making more money... it's pretty simple to see

itsnotrequired
02-01-2007, 07:15 AM
They might in the future, but they haven't in the past... mark my words, by the time all the steroid information is released whether it be in 5 years, 10 years or 25 years it will go down as the biggest scandal in professional sports history...

More players than you would care to believe were doing them.. my guess is 50-75% at one point... All owners and GM's knew about it, including Selig and they turned their back to it because from 1998 on, more tickets were being sold and owners were making more money... it's pretty simple to see

:?:

MLB has gone through the Depression, two world wars, race riots, survived challenges from rival professional leagues, player strikes, umpire strikes, the Black Sox scandal, team relocation, expansion, etc. In the big scheme of things, Bonds is just a blip on the radar.

IndianWhiteSox
02-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Bastard should of taken a stand 10 freakin' years ago, then none of this would of happened.

Front

I agree with everything that you said except for the part I quoted, because that was Donald Fehr that stopped steroid testing from happening.

AJ Hellraiser
02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
:?:

MLB has gone through the Depression, two world wars, race riots, survived challenges from rival professional leagues, player strikes, umpire strikes, the Black Sox scandal, team relocation, expansion, etc. In the big scheme of things, Bonds is just a blip on the radar.

All of those things except for the black sox scandal, team relocation and expansion are world history things that everyone and everything went through in the same way... this is strictly baseball related...

expansion and team relocation happen in every sport and no one in baseball will complain about them except baseball purists.. the dodgers are just fine in LA... expansion teams have done okay, they make owners more money and the Marlins and Diamondbacks have won 3 combined world series titles...

this steroid scandal is head and shoulders worse than the black sox scandal in many people's opinions.. i respect yours if u dont think so... but it's one thing to throw games based on real talent, it's another thing to win games and perform based on talent enhanced by drugs...

sorry you aren't more upset about this... but it's an extremely big deal...

pagansoxfan
02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
i'm waiting for fans to sue mlb if there is proof that a huge majority of players were on roids, thinking they were misled to believe the players they were seeing were playing only on abilities. yea, it may sound foolish, but so does suing a burger company over spilled cofee.

itsnotrequired
02-01-2007, 05:42 PM
All of those things except for the black sox scandal, team relocation and expansion are world history things that everyone and everything went through in the same way... this is strictly baseball related...

expansion and team relocation happen in every sport and no one in baseball will complain about them except baseball purists.. the dodgers are just fine in LA... expansion teams have done okay, they make owners more money and the Marlins and Diamondbacks have won 3 combined world series titles...

this steroid scandal is head and shoulders worse than the black sox scandal in many people's opinions.. i respect yours if u dont think so... but it's one thing to throw games based on real talent, it's another thing to win games and perform based on talent enhanced by drugs...

sorry you aren't more upset about this... but it's an extremely big deal...

It doesn't matter if the depression or world wars affected the whole population or not. The fact of the matter is that these events had huge impacts on baseball. Do you realize how many franchises were *this* close to closing up shop during the depression? Baseballs during the war was made of garbage. Road trips were limited to save fuel. Some of the games biggest stars left the game to risk their lives.

Looking back, it can be said that relocation wasn't that big of a deal but at the time, it was a huge deal. Same thing with expansion. Same thing with the civil rights movement. Same thing with strikes. Same thing with the labor wars. Hindsight paints these to be less of an issue than they actually were at the times they occurred.

I never said Bonds and steroids wasn't a big deal but it isn't as if this is the biggest thing to ever hit the majors. Baseball may face some other huge crisis in 20 years (i.e. contraction, a strike lasting a whole season, etc.) and looking back, the "steroid era" may seem rather insignificant.

AJ Hellraiser
02-01-2007, 06:29 PM
It doesn't matter if the depression or world wars affected the whole population or not. The fact of the matter is that these events had huge impacts on baseball. Do you realize how many franchises were *this* close to closing up shop during the depression? Baseballs during the war was made of garbage. Road trips were limited to save fuel. Some of the games biggest stars left the game to risk their lives.

Looking back, it can be said that relocation wasn't that big of a deal but at the time, it was a huge deal. Same thing with expansion. Same thing with the civil rights movement. Same thing with strikes. Same thing with the labor wars. Hindsight paints these to be less of an issue than they actually were at the times they occurred.

I never said Bonds and steroids wasn't a big deal but it isn't as if this is the biggest thing to ever hit the majors. Baseball may face some other huge crisis in 20 years (i.e. contraction, a strike lasting a whole season, etc.) and looking back, the "steroid era" may seem rather insignificant.

OK--Fair enough... I can completely agree with most of what you said... However, I do have one final thing to say: Baseball has always been a self-governing sport.. it is the only professional sport in America that the U.S. Government hasn't been able to step in and handle certain issues... should the congress investigation yield what many assume it will, you can be sure congress will ask for the same control they have over the other sports... thus, MLB will ALWAYS look back at the steroid issue as being a turning point and possibly the biggest crisis it's endured...