PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get a Fields auto this weekend?

ewokpelts
01-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm hearing on other websites that he made all his autos personalized.
Any truth to this?

Gene
I head this on this site: (scroll down for the fields bits)
http://forums.etopps.com/etoppsForum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76873

Domeshot17
01-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, Both me and my fiance got his autograph with Sweeney and Owens. They all signed my sox bat (already had Crede Raines Cora Baines and others). and He didnt personalize that. All 3 signed a ball for Kate, and again, didnt personalize it. Maybe pictures or something he did. I think its cool if he did. Tried to get PK to sign my world series picture "ALCS MVP" and the lady at the table jumped down my throat haha.

Jerko
01-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm hearing on other websites that he made all his autos personalized.
Any truth to this?

Gene
I head this on this site: (scroll down for the fields bits)
http://forums.etopps.com/etoppsForum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76873

Girl I know said he wouldn't sign the "sweet spot" of the ball unless it was personalized.

BainesHOF
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Fields is personalizing things so people can't sell the item. Most people don't sell what they get signed and a Fields autograph is practically worthless at this stage of his career. In my opinion he should be more worried about his play on the field that acting as if he's big-time off it.

areilly
01-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Fields is personalizing things so people can't sell the item. Most people don't sell what they get signed and a Fields autograph is practically worthless at this stage of his career. In my opinion he should be more worried about his play on the field that acting if he's big-time off it.

Source?

salty99
01-29-2007, 04:35 PM
He asked me where to sign the ball I had and I told him the sweet spot and he did it without a personalization. Someone in front of me had an 8x10 and he personalized that with a name.

CashMan
01-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Fields is personalizing things so people can't sell the item. Most people don't sell what they get signed and a Fields autograph is practically worthless at this stage of his career. In my opinion he should be more worried about his play on the field that acting if he's big-time off it.

So when he is at an autograph session, he should be thinking about taking ground balls in the field?

lumpyspun
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Let me get this straight. People ask for the guy's autograph and then get mad at the way he does it???

Domeshot17
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I highly doubt its so people dont resell it. Brian Anderson did this on my girlfriends world series sports illustrated last year, thought it was cool.

Get off the guys back, if you were getting something signed to sell it, sucks for you. IF you were getting it signed for you, then you shouldnt have a problem with the personalization

chidavid18
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I have a crack game used bat form the afl that he put my name on at sox fest. I did not what it like that. I have over 100 game used white sox bats. I do not sell them. My grand kids will get them. Feilds as mike north would say your a jag bag.

lumpyspun
01-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I have a crack game used bat form the afl that he put my name on at sox fest. I did not what it like that. I have over 100 game used white sox bats. I do not sell them. My grand kids will get them. Feilds as mike north would say your a jag bag.

I feel you bad for, crack game used that sox fest what was Fielder thinking...

TheCommander
01-29-2007, 05:31 PM

I feel you bad for, crack game used that sox fest what was Fielder thinking...

You two sound like you speak fluent Ozzie.:D:

salty99
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
You two sound like you speak fluent Ozzie.:D:
Funny you should say that because Ozzie said he was going to take English lessons this summer, but his kids told him not to because his Ozzie-speak is his trademark.

ilsox7
01-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Let me get this straight. People ask for the guy's autograph and then get mad at the way he does it???

Remember the #1 rule at WSI: People will always complain about something.

downstairs
01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Did anyone ask him NOT to personalize it? I'm assuming he did just to be nice, and if you asked him not to, he wouldn't have personalized it.

Sheeesh... autograph hounds are worse than trekkies nowadays...

areilly
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM

I'm speechless. I hope the guy becomes a legend out of spite for you and your 100 game-used bats so that every time your grandkids look at what grandpa chidavid left them, they too can gather 'round and hear what a "jag bag" Josh Fields really was, as clearly evidenced by his daring to make your personal souvenir a little more personal.

Not sure if this should be teal or not.

IlliniSox4Life
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
A bit off topic, but I was at a large all day concert once, and me and the two friends I went with got in line to get autographs from one of the bands. We each had two demo CDs that we had picked up. My two friends went first and had them each sign one to them and one to their girlfriends as a gift. The first band member asked if I wanted the second made out to some girl like they did. Since I was single, I just had him make it out to "random hot chick". I figured that maybe I would bump into some female at the concert and get something out of it :tongue:. I liked it so much I ended up keeping it.

brewcrew/chisox
01-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Mod edit: no personal attacks. Take a few days to think about it.

oeo
01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
So when he is at an autograph session, he should be thinking about taking ground balls in the field?

Some people around here think that baseball should be on their minds all the time. They can't go out drinking, they can't have fun and "wrestle"/go on the Jerry Springer Show. They should stay home, practice their swing, and go to bed at 9. That's the view of a baseball player's life by some.

ilsox7
01-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Some people around here think that baseball should be on their minds all the time. They can't go out drinking, they can't have fun and "wrestle"/go on the Jerry Springer Show. They should stay home, practice their swing, and go to bed at 9. That's the view of a baseball player's life by some.

I don't know about you, but if they are going to bed at 9, they certainly have not spent enough hours in the day working on their swing. Bed time is 11. Those 2 extra hours of practice will win us a World Series in 2007.

skobabe8
01-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Brian26
01-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Wow. Just wow.

This is one of those grey areas that can be hard to explain. I'm not just saying this because I've met BainesHOF at Soxfest and some other signings, but I think I understand what he's trying to say.

Look at the other guys like Konerko and Buehrle, who have pretty much been at every single Soxfest since 2000. These guys have signed THOUSANDS of autographs for fans, including bats, baseballs (on the sweet spot), jerseys, etc. A lot of players make money off their autographs after they retire, so obviously Konerko and Buehrle have not done themselves any favors by flooding the market with their autographs for seven years. Personally, I think I have three autographs from each guy in my collection. I see that as a great gesture on their part, a way to give back to the fanbase, and ultimately it has to help the Sox franchise and the sport.

Now you take a guy like Josh who's just coming up and has signed some sort of contract with Steiner Sports (this is absolutely fact, by the way) which doesn't allow him to sign his autograph without personalizing it with a name. The true reason for this is so the autograph can't be sold on the secondary market. I guess you can call a fan petty for complaining about this, but isn't Fields being petty too when you consider what established guys like PK and Buehrle have done over the years? I think BainesHOF is saying, Fields hasn't even played a month of major league ball, will make more money in a couple of years than most of us will see in our lifetime, and he's worried about making money off his autograph. I can see how that could rub someone the wrong way.

I got his autograph. I'm never going to sell it, so it doesn't matter to me. If I had my choice, I'd prefer that he hadn't put my name on it because I think it looks sort of silly and not quite as nice as a display piece.

With all of this said, Fields was super nice. I asked him if this photo was of his first homerun, and he said yes...his first windblown homer. So he was humble and self-deprecating too.

BainesHOF
01-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Now you take a guy like Josh who's just coming up and has signed some sort of contract with Steiner Sports (this is absolutely fact, by the way) which doesn't allow him to sign his autograph without personalizing it with a name.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt Brian, then the reason Fields is personalizing autographs is simply to protect his contract with Steiner Sports that he signed so he could make money at the autograph game. To me, this is worse than personalizing autographs to thwart the professional autograph hounds. In effect, Fields is in cohoots with one of the biggest professional autograph hounds, Steiner Sports.

It was my experience at Soxfest that every player I waited in line for was absolutely great with everybody, and that included all the big names such as Konerko, Pierzynski, Buehrle, Contreras, Crede, Guillen and Ventura. I saw them accomodate every fan's request whether it was what pen to use, where to sign the photo, answering a question, posing for a picture, etc.

A friend had bought a Fields bat at the Garage Sale, where proceeds go to charity. He has a great collection and hung out at a seminar to try to get Fields to sign it. While Fields was signing for everybody after the seminar, he flatly refused to sign the bat.

I honestly don't understand why Fields is so worried about the market for his autograph. Like I said, it's not worth much now. I'm sure Steiner Sports, much like a shoe company with a young basketball player, is trying to start a working business relationship with Fields now in hopes that it pays off in big bucks down the road.

It shouldn't be hard for a player to realize that even if a person wanted to make money off their Soxfest experience that it'd be pretty hard to do so. By the time you add up the money you spend on such things as admission, transportation, parking, lodging and food, not to mention the major investment you have to make in time, a person would probably be better off just buying autographed items. But the people who are attending Soxfest are real fans who consider it more meaningful to have their item signed in person and have a moment with a player. There's nothing wrong with a collector wanting all the signatures on a team photo or ball signed in the same pen so it matches and looks nice just as there's nothing wrong with a collector wanting an athlete to sign simply his name on the sweet spot so it matches the rest of the balls in a display.

lumpyspun
01-30-2007, 12:17 AM
I find this topic of discussion to be very ironic.

The people who seem to be mad at him for trying to make money off his autograph are mad b/c they can't make money off his autograph.

Brian26
01-30-2007, 12:18 AM
I find this topic of discussion to be very ironic.

The people who seem to be mad at him for trying to make money off his autograph are mad b/c they can't make money off his autograph.

Did you read either of the two posts above yours?

lumpyspun
01-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Did you read either of the two posts above yours?

Yes.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt Brian, then the reason Fields is personalizing autographs is simply to protect his contract with Steiner Sports that he signed so he could make money at the autograph game. To me, this is worse than personalizing autographs to thwart the professional autograph hounds. In effect, Fields is in cohoots with one of the biggest professional autograph hounds, Steiner Sports.

Brian26
01-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Yes.

Where does that say that BainesHOF was going to sell Fields' autograph? :?:

I got his autograph. I'm never going to sell it, so it doesn't matter to me. If I had my choice, I'd prefer that he hadn't put my name on it because I think it looks sort of silly and not quite as nice as a display piece.

It shouldn't be hard for a player to realize that even if a person wanted to make money off their Soxfest experience that it'd be pretty hard to do so. By the time you add up the money you spend on such things as admission, transportation, parking, lodging and food, not to mention the major investment you have to make in time, a person would probably be better off just buying autographed items. But the people who are attending Soxfest are real fans who consider it more meaningful to have their item signed in person and have a moment with a player. There's nothing wrong with a collector wanting all the signatures on a team photo or ball signed in the same pen so it matches and looks nice just as there's nothing wrong with a collector wanting an athlete to sign simply his name on the sweet spot so it matches the rest of the balls in a display.

lumpyspun
01-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Where does that say that BainesHOF was going to sell Fields' autograph? :?:

Ok, he didn't come right out and say it, but from reading his first paragraph that is the conclusion I came to. I apologize for making that assumption. Either way, he seems to be really upset that Josh Fields has the audacity to want to make money from his own autograph.

Let me try to explain this situation as someone who has never seriously collected or ever sold an autographed piece of memoribilia:
Whether you are mad b/c you won't be able to make money from Fields' autograph or b/c his personally signed ball doesn't look right in your collection, the fact is that people are bitter at the way he is approaching his baseball fame. I feel that part of being a professional baseball player is that they have certain fringe benefits that come with the professional baseball player job description. Are people also mad that most players seem to have pretty significant others, get free sunflower seeds, and probably rack up frequent flier miles on top of their huge salary? One of the benefits of being a famous athlete is the ability to do whatever you want with your signature. Now, I understand people might be bitter that he isn't as accomodating as some of the other fan favorites. But where does that bitterness end? What if he decided he didn't want to show up at SoxFest at all? Then nobody would have any autograph of his at all to complain about. Should we also string him up b/c he is just a rookie and he didn't have the respect to hang around and shoot the **** with long time fans at the bar?
Please consider yourselves lucky that you get to live in Chicago and make the choice to go to SoxFest each year and try not to take autographs so seriously.

Domeshot17
01-30-2007, 01:29 AM
hmmmm, I guess I don't understand.

Why is Fields personalizing to protect his contract, but not personalizing everything? He didn't personalize for me or my girlfriend, although both of us got his sig on something that had multiple sigs on it.

Fields seemed really nice. Kate told him she was at the game he hit his first, and that I had called it a few minutes before. He told me thanks, call a few more for him, but try to make them at times when they help the team win.

He seems like a good kid, I can respect the fact he personalize's his sig way more then some Basketball player who has the biggest problem in the world when he can't wear the shoes on the US olympic team because it might violate his contract with a different company. If you aren't going to sell the item, then you really shouldn't have a major problem with him personalizing it.

salty99
01-30-2007, 09:26 AM
A friend had bought a Fields bat at the Garage Sale, where proceeds go to charity. He has a great collection and hung out at a seminar to try to get Fields to sign it. While Fields was signing for everybody after the seminar, he flatly refused to sign the bat.

Tell your friend to wait in line at the auto sessions like most everyone else.

:whiner:

BainesHOF
01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how people see/hear what they want to see/hear. For the record, the autographs I obtain are for my own personal collection. I don't sell them, and I don't believe anyone in this thread insinuated that they do.

As far as my friend getting stiffed by Fields after a seminar, the issue about trying to get autographs after a seminar as opposed to at an autograph session is a different topic. The fact is many players do sign willingly after a seminar. My simple point was that Fields was signing and went out of his way not to sign one of his bats for a good fan who simply wanted it signed for his personal collection.

I'm not bitter about Fields' autograph habits. Heck, I didn't even try to get him to autograph anything. I just think it's lame what he's doing, especially for a rookie.

SBSoxFan
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Didn't Fields sign something, per request, with "Josh Fields, starting 3B 2007" or sum such? I read that in the Sox Fest thread. That seems rather accomodating. Especially since Crede's gonna kick his butt now!

ewokpelts
01-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Didn't Fields sign something, per request, with "Josh Fields, starting 3B 2007" or sum such? I read that in the Sox Fest thread. That seems rather accomodating. Especially since Crede's gonna kick his butt now!yes....the guy who had it signed mentioned this to williams

areilly
01-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm not bitter about Fields' autograph habits. Heck, I didn't even try to get him to autograph anything. I just think it's lame what he's doing, especially for a rookie.

But it's totally not lame to go out of your way to get a 24-year-old kid to write his name on your toys.

BainesHOF
01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
But it's totally not lame to go out of your way to get a 24-year-old kid to write his name on your toys.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is filled with autographed "toys." In case you haven't heard, it even charges admission and people make pilgrimages to see them.

skobabe8
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
First off, I'm sorry to BainesHOF. I'm not really familiar with the whole "autograph game" and therefore didnt understand the frustrations behind your posts. I've gone to 2 Soxfests and have never waited in line to get an autograph. Its just not me. I like to shake a guys hand if I can, and I've gotten a couple of sigs during spring training when its more relaxed, but I dont seek out autographs to fill a collection. I dont know how many players today sign these contracts with collectable companies, how much $ they get, or what they are or arent supposed to sign. I just think that, to me, a personalized autograph is pretty cool since I will never sell my stuff. But I do understand how it can rub people the wrong way. Doesn't bother me at all, but I do understand.

Its a weird situation because word is Fields signed a contract with Steiner which forbids him from signing only his name. But plenty of people are saying that he signed only his name. Couple that with the fact that everything I've heard and seen about Fields has always been in high regard and gracious. Listening to him in the seminars only supports that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Brian26
01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Its a weird situation because word is Fields signed a contract with Steiner which forbids him from signing only his name. But plenty of people are saying that he signed only his name.

These contracts on autographs are pretty crazy. Jermaine Dye used to have one with a company that disallowed him from signing the sweet spot of any baseball.

As for Fields, it sounds like he will only sign something if:

a.) Other players have already signed it, or...
b.) He personalizes it to you, or...
c.) He inscribes it with some note.

I'd be interested in whether or not he signed a clean baseball on the sweet spot for anyone or if he signed any 8x10 photos without the personalization.

JGarlandrules20
01-30-2007, 11:35 PM
I'd be interested in whether or not he signed a clean baseball on the sweet spot for anyone or if he signed any 8x10 photos without the personalization.

He didn't inscribe or personalize my 8x10 picture. He asked my friend where to sign on the ball and he didnt personalize that either.

I think some people are making a big deal out of a guy just trying to be nice at his first fanfest.