PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Sox player to root for?

Chisox353014
03-13-2002, 12:28 PM
I was just thinking about how strange it will be to be rooting for Kenny Lofton this year after so many years of him being right behind Roberto Alomar on my "most despised Indian" list. Who is the Sox player that everyone has had a hard time rooting for either now or in the past? For me it's a tie between Albert Belle and Wil Cordero. The ex-Indian factor plus the major a-hole off the field factor made it really difficult to get behind those two guys, especially "wife-beater" Cordero.

Jerry_Manuel
03-13-2002, 12:46 PM
Who is the Sox player that everyone has had a hard time rooting for either now or in the past?

Perhaps it's because I'm young, but I've never had a hard time rooting for a Sox player. I've disliked Lofton in the past, but now that he's on the Sox I'll cheer for him like I would for any other player.

I can't stand Omar Vizquel, if he ever signed with the Sox, I'm not sure what I would do.

delben91
03-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Never could put my finger on it, but something about Charlie O'Brien always irked me. Maybe it was his "I've caught cy young winners, so my word is sacred" schpiel

kermittheefrog
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
One of two things will happen to this thread:

1) It will die quickly.

or

2) It becomes a Choice/Manos thread when someone complains about Clayton and doesn't die until the season starts.

Let's hope for #1.

Iwritecode
03-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

1) It will die quickly.

or

2) It becomes a Choice/Manos thread when someone complains about Clayton and doesn't die until the season starts.

Let's hope for #1.

So you don't want anyone to put Clayton as their choice (pun intended) as the hardest player to root for? Geez, there goes my answer...

I guess I would choose Navarro. I think it was mostly the ex-Cub factor. Even though he was wearing a Sox uni, you just knew he was going to suck...

Paulwny
03-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I guess I would choose Navarro. I think it was mostly the ex-Cub factor. Even though he was wearing a Sox uni, you just knew he was going to suck...

I'm with you.

moochpuppy
03-13-2002, 01:50 PM
If the people of Chicago can turn on a dime and root for Dennis Rodman of all people than I have no problem rooting for anyone in a Sox uni.

Iwritecode
03-13-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

So you don't want anyone to put Clayton as their choice (pun intended) as the hardest player to root for? Geez, there goes my answer...

A close second would be Ken "smiley" Hill. He just never gave me any reason to cheer at all.. :(:

Kilroy
03-13-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
If the people of Chicago can turn on a dime and root for Dennis Rodman of all people than I have no problem rooting for anyone in a Sox uni.

Not everyone cheered for Rodman. I hated every day he was on the Bulls. It gave me the same dirty feeling that you get when u win by cheating. No satisfaction in it.

Hardest Sox player to cheer for?

Definitely Jamie Navarro. More than the fact that he was an ex-Cub, he was an ass....

idseer
03-13-2002, 03:02 PM
put me down for J. canseco, a. belle, g. bell, r. hanson, b. jackson, t. seavers .... there are probably more but this is all that comes to mind.

if you mean today's team, i think it would be osuna. i never liked players that came from la.

Cheryl
03-13-2002, 03:12 PM
I couldn't not boo Canseco. Even as a Sox last year, I still booed him when he came to the plate. It's a deeply held, completely irrational hatred, but it's mine.

RedPinStripes
03-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by idseer
:)
if you mean today's team, i think it would be osuna. i never liked players that came from la.

Woah!!!!!!

There is something that idseer and I agree on latly. I just don't like Osuns because I thought he was washed up before he got here and KW is going to force us on him no matter how much he sucks.

RedPinStripes
03-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

1) It will die quickly.

or

Let's hope for #1.

(Make a not of this. ) I'm not bashing the choice.

If Royce hit .300 , I would be on his side eventhough him coming here is keeping Crede in AAA.

baggio202
03-13-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Woah!!!!!!

There is something that idseer and I agree on latly. I just don't like Osuns because I thought he was washed up before he got here and KW is going to force us on him no matter how much he sucks.

you mean like julio "the 2nd coming of sammy sosa " ramirez???

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Woah!!!!!!

Agreed, the minute Blowsuna arrived, i knew if was a bad deal, and then KW went a gave him a new deal before he really pitched here. KW is such a genious.

WinningUgly!
03-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Who is the Sox player that everyone has had a hard time rooting for either now or in the past?

A tie for me...James Baldwin/Melido Perez.
I would have liked Melido a lot more, if not for his big 1st inning problems. Once the guy got through the 1st, it was usually smooth sailing.

CerberusWG
03-13-2002, 10:01 PM
Sosa, without a doubt.

I remember him just airmailing everything once a week when he'd throw to home plate.

RedPinStripes
03-13-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

Agreed, the minute Blowsuna arrived, i knew if was a bad deal, and then KW went a gave him a new deal before he really pitched here. KW is such a genious.

Man that pissed me off when KW gave him a contract before he even pitched an inning. So much for the great medical staff we have that he braggs about.