PDA

View Full Version : Todd Helton to the Red Sox??????

Fenway
01-27-2007, 11:16 PM
The story started in Denver this morning in the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5099281).

The Rockies are in discussions with the Boston Red Sox involving a trade of Todd Helton, according to multiple baseball sources.
Nothing is imminent, but negotiations are expected to resume Monday or Tuesday when Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd returns to work after tending to a family matter. Helton, 33, has a complete no-trade clause, but has said he would consider Boston.
A source said Helton is aware of the current Red Sox talks.

Later this afternoon the Rockies confirmed the rumor (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070127&content_id=1787926&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp) on mlb.com

The Boston Globe has been doing some web updates today (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/) but probably won't have anything major until the Sunday edition hits the streets at Midnight.

Could be an interesting next few days as this plays out

QCIASOXFAN
01-27-2007, 11:20 PM
:(: I hope he just stays in the NL.

Jjav829
01-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Go ahead. Helton's days as an elite player are pretty much over. And with that ridiculous contract? Yeesh.

Remember a couple years ago when people around here wanted to get rid of Konerko and replace him with Helton? Thankfully Kenny Williams didn't feel the same way. Imagine if we were stuck with that albatross of a contract for a guy who has hit 35 homers over the past two seasons while playing in one of the best hitters parks in baseball.

oeo
01-28-2007, 12:09 AM
The story started in Denver this morning in the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5099281).

Later this afternoon the Rockies confirmed the rumor (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070127&content_id=1787926&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp) on mlb.com

The Boston Globe has been doing some web updates today (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/) but probably won't have anything major until the Sunday edition hits the streets at Midnight.

Could be an interesting next few days as this plays out

That contract = :puking:

It would be a smart move by the Rockies to get rid of that; not so smart on the Red Sox end, though.

DSpivack
01-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Go ahead. Helton's days as an elite player are pretty much over. And with that ridiculous contract? Yeesh.

Remember a couple years ago when people around here wanted to get rid of Konerko and replace him with Helton? Thankfully Kenny Williams didn't feel the same way. Imagine if we were stuck with that albatross of a contract for a guy who has hit 35 homers over the past two seasons while playing in one of the best hitters parks in baseball.

Kinda like Ben Wallace's deal, but much worse. He'll be good for the next year or two (though certainly not at the level he was), but after that they'll be paying for little production.

Slats
01-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Helton Stats

Similar Batters through Age 32

Chuck Klein
Jeff Bagwell
Frank Thomas
Joe DiMaggio
Rafael Palmeiro
Carlos Delgado
Manny Ramirez
Hank Greenberg
Jason Giambi
Jim Bottomley

Dear Todd, stay in the NL. Thanks. :cool:

PennStater98r
01-28-2007, 01:39 AM
If last year was any indication of Helton's future - the BoSox are making a big mistake.

One thing's for certain - he's been on a decline for about 5 years now.

MUsoxfan
01-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Helton Stats

Chuck Klein
Jeff Bagwell
Frank Thomas
Joe DiMaggio
Rafael Palmeiro
Carlos Delgado
Manny Ramirez
Hank Greenberg
Jason Giambi
Jim Bottomley

Dear Todd, stay in the NL. Thanks. :cool:

Not many of those players hit the wall as hard as Helton has. He's a shell of himself already.

I'd hardly say that today's Helton is equal to today's Ramirez, Delgado, Giambi or even Thomas.

The Red Sox can have him.

IndianWhiteSox
01-28-2007, 03:24 AM
I can see what they're doing now?

Overbidding for "Phone Sex" Matsuzaka

Overspending on Lugo and JDL Drew

Now giving up their farm system for Helton.

This is all the great plan of the great Theo Epstein

StillMissOzzie
01-28-2007, 03:41 AM

Remember a couple years ago when people around here wanted to get rid of Konerko and replace him with Helton? Thankfully Kenny Williams didn't feel the same way.

randar, I think he was looking right at you when he said this...

I can see what they're doing now?

Overbidding for "Phone Sex" Matsuzaka

Overspending on Lugo and JDL Drew

Now giving up their farm system for Helton.

This is all the great plan of the great Theo Epstein

That's twice that I've seen you use this term. Could you explain please?

SMO
:?:

IndianWhiteSox
01-28-2007, 03:48 AM

That's twice that I've seen you use this term. Could you explain please?

SMO
:?:

I remember lurking one time on the web-site and one of the users called him (Dice-K) Phone Sex, because he costs a lot to talk to (i.e.- the bidding of him at 51mil), so I thought that was pretty funny and I still would want to call him that.

IndianWhiteSox
01-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Not many of those players hit the wall as hard as Helton has. He's a shell of himself already.

I'd hardly say that today's Helton is equal to today's Ramirez, Delgado, Giambi or even Thomas.

The Red Sox can have him.

As true as that may be, he was playing the whole year last year with an intestinal illness, and if he move to Fenway park his numbers may spike up. I know in Colorado they have a higher altitude hence, the ball's flying out of the park but they have used the humidor lately to cut down on the ball going over the wall. As opposed to Fenway Park where the balls are never placed in the humidor and it is only 309 down the RF line and 315 down the LF line.

Grzegorz
01-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Kinda like Ben Wallace's deal, but much worse. He'll be good for the next year or two (though certainly not at the level he was), but after that they'll be paying for little production.

I'd argue that the Wallace deal, to this point, is a bust. It's a stretch to say that Wallace is playing consistently well.

Helton Stats

Chuck Klein
Jeff Bagwell
Frank Thomas
Joe DiMaggio
Rafael Palmeiro
Carlos Delgado
Manny Ramirez
Hank Greenberg
Jason Giambi
Jim Bottomley

I'd have liked to see some of those players mentioned play in a park that helps to hyper inflate offensive statistics to the extent that Coors does.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=heltoto01

If the Boston Red Sox want to pick Todd Helton's salary (significant even if the Rockies pick up a part of the tab) and give up future prospects (Jacoby Ellsbury, Hansen) I say have at it.

Jjav829
01-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Nah, there were quite a few people that wanted to scrap Konerko and trade for Helton. There was a little stretch here on WSI where it seemed like every thread mentioned us trading for Helton to replace Konerko.

UserNameBlank
01-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I remember lurking one time on the web-site and one of the users called him (Dice-K) Phone Sex, because he costs a lot to talk to (i.e.- the bidding of him at 51mil), so I thought that was pretty funny and I still would want to call him that.

LOL

That was me who said that. I didn't think anyone even caught that.

IndianWhiteSox
01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
LOL

That was me who said that. I didn't think anyone even caught that.

Don't worry I'll make sure that will catch on to the public.

By the way, I'm half way to personality.

UserNameBlank
01-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Don't worry I'll make sure that will catch to the public.

By the way, I'm half way to personality.

Good. Now maybe at least someone else will know what I mean when I say that. BTW, I'd have quite a few posts too but I keep getting banned for saying **** like that, lol.

santo=dorf
01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Nah, there were quite a few people that wanted to scrap Konerko and trade for Helton. There was a little stretch here on WSI where it seemed like every thread mentioned us trading for Helton to replace Konerko.
I never see Randar with a sig, but I recall him having a sig with trading Konerko and Dye for Helton.

Frater Perdurabo
01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
I never see Randar with a sig, but I recall him having a sig with trading Konerko and Dye for Helton.

Although I never put it in my sig, I too will fess up to it. Remember that PK had an abysmal year in 2003, and we weren't sure if he would have another season as good as 2004. Nevertheless, I started a "mea culpa" thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75358&highlight=renaissance+of+paul+konerko) in which I admitted I was wrong about PK.

I still do think that PK's deal, even though it seems cheap now, may be part of the reason the Sox MAY decide they cannot afford to re-sign Buehrle and/or Garland (if either or both do leave as free agents or are traded). Obvioulsy, a trade for Helton and his contract would have hamstrung the Sox payroll to an even greater extent, though.

Gregory Pratt
01-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Helton's stats have been hurt of late by a) the Humidor in Coors field and b) back injuries.

I think he's healthy again, and all sources point that way. He might be losing his power but that wasn't, ultimately, what he was great at: he's great at hitting for average and getting on base, and I think he's still a three hundred hitter who'll pop at least twenty next year.

Todd Helton is a great baseball player.

That said, I hope he remains in Colorado, but not because I fear his entrance into the AL, but for sentimental reasons. I wish there were more fulltime hometown heroes.

IndianWhiteSox
01-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Helton's stats have been hurt of late by a) the Humidor in Coors field and b) back injuries.

I think he's healthy again, and all sources point that way. He might be losing his power but that wasn't, ultimately, what he was great at: he's great at hitting for average and getting on base, and I think he's still a three hundred hitter who'll pop at least twenty next year.

That said, I hope he remains in Colorado, but not because I fear his entrance into the AL, but for sentimental reasons. I wish there were more fulltime hometown heroes.

I think lots of people wish that but the thing is as long as he is Colorado, he'll never make the post-season, so I''m not sure if he really wants that.

mjmcend
01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Per Rotoworld:
Todd Helton confirmed that he'd be willing to accept a deal to Boston, though if something is going to happen, he wants it to get done quickly.
Helton is also willing to go to Atlanta, though with the Braves' budgetary concerns, that hardly seems likely to happen. According to the Denver Post, he wouldn't accept the previously rumored deal to the Angels. The Post also says that the Red Sox offered Mike Lowell and Julian Tavarez for Helton and about $40 million of the $90.1 million he's owed over the next five years. If the Rockies want youngsters, they'd presumably have to eat more of the contract. It looks like the Red Sox have little interest in doing a deal that isn't clearly favorable for them.If the BoSox only have to pay Helton 40 million over 5 years, while only giving up crap, that would be an amazing deal for them. The Rockies would be fools to do that.

Gregory Pratt
01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
I think lots of people wish that but the thing is as long as he is Colorado, he'll never make the post-season, so I''m not sure if he really wants that.

Probably not. That's the sole reason why I'd welcome him leaving, and probably the only reason he would leave.

mshake10
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
This contract is scary:

03:$10.6M, 04:$11.6M, 05:$12.6M, 06-10:$16.6M/year, 11:$19.1M, 12:$23M club option ($4.6M buyout)

Talk about financially strapped, the backloading on this is crazy.

TheOldRoman
01-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Per Rotoworld:
If the BoSox only have to pay Helton 40 million over 5 years, while only giving up crap, that would be an amazing deal for them. The Rockies would be fools to do that.
:o:
That is ridiculous. The Rockies will give away $50 million along with Todd Helton and get crap?! Tavarez is horrible, and Lowell is worthless. Aside from that, why in the world would the Rockies want him, even if they weren't giving up Helton? They won't compete anytime soon, and he would likely hold back a youngster. That is insane.

FedEx227
01-29-2007, 12:25 AM
This contract is scary:

03:$10.6M, 04:$11.6M, 05:$12.6M, 06-10:$16.6M/year, 11:$19.1M, 12:$23M club option ($4.6M buyout)

Yeah, look at the Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle deals signed around the same time. The Rockies are quite stupid to say the least. $23 million in 2012... god that's great.

Another reason why smart baseball people see the awfulness of the recent Soriano deal.

MUsoxfan
01-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Yeah, look at the Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle deals signed around the same time. The Rockies are quite stupid to say the least. $23 million in 2012... god that's great.

Another reason why smart baseball people see the awfulness of the recent Soriano deal.

Do the Rockies have the same GM that signed those ridiculous contracts? If not, maybe they're trying to move in a different and smarter direction

StillMissOzzie
01-29-2007, 02:26 AM
This contract is scary:

I wonder which way the Rockies' brass will go on that 2012 option...

SMO
:rolleyes:

UserNameBlank
01-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Didn't Sean Casey sign with Detroit for like $4mil? Isn't Ross Gload making $1mil or less?

Over a full season in Boston, the dropoff in production from Helton to someone like Casey or Gload I doubt would be all that significant; certainly it wouldn't be worth anywhere near the difference in price.

I can't stand Carlos Mencia, but AL Central teams = smart. Boston = dee dee dee!!

thomas35forever
01-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Trade talks have ended.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070129&content_id=1788783&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

Fenway
01-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Trade talks have ended.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070129&content_id=1788783&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

really isn't a loss for Boston his drop in production at Coors Field is enough to set off alarm bells for me