PDA

View Full Version : *Official* SoxFest Reports

DrCrawdad
01-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I won't be attending any of this weekends SoxFest. So, I'm hoping to hear reports from the attendees. I'm particularly interested in hearing about what KW had to say at the much ballyhooed (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070125sox,1,5951412.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) Friday Sox Townhall Meeting with Kenny.

I know, I know, the Sox aren't calling it a Townhall Meeting with Kenny. It's just that at the moment I typed it I couldn't remember what they called it.

BainesHOF
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I just got home. Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the town hall meeting. I got there a little before 10 a.m. and joined my friends who got there about a half hour earlier. A long line eventually formed, but it wasn't as bad as last year. I heard second hand that the Palmer House didn't allow anyone to line up until 7 a.m., which I think is a great policy. It'll be interesting to see how the line develops the next two days.

In a change this year, you didn't have to attend the opening ceremony in the ballroom. You could go straight to an autograph line or, in my case, the line for the Garage Sale. I never had a better Garage Sale than this one. There were LOTS of game-used jerseys from the past season in your choice of home, away, black and sleeveless. I picked up a handful of prime jerseys that all had good use on them along with helmets of Dye and Podsednik. I didn't even look at the bats as I already had too much in my hands. The jerseys were pretty reasonably priced for jerseys while the bats were on the high side, but I heard there was a pretty good selection of bats outside of Thome and Konerko.

The autograph lines were much more managable than last year due to the smaller number of tickets sold. That was too be expected, of course. I'll be curious to see what everyone's experiences were regarding the autograph lines as it was hard to get a read on all of them as everything was spread out over multiple floors. I had a good day, getting Buehrle (after being the very last person allowed in line), Contreras and Cintron, and Pierzynski...A few dozen fortunate people in Konerko's line received a bonus when Thome sat down next to Konerko and signed away to the end of the line.

I didn't have time to check out much else, but my initial impression of the Palmer House is favorable to the point of being an improvement over the Hyatt. The Palmer House may be a smaller hotel, but Soxfest seemed like a much more comfortable experience than in the past. I also prefer its location as it's significantly closer to the reasonably-priced Grant Park parking garages.

BeefyD
01-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Did you get wristbands? Or just get in line asap and wait...

CLR01
01-26-2007, 11:28 PM
The Palmer House may be a smaller hotel, but Soxfest seemed like a much more comfortable experience than in the past.

So the Sox may have known what they were doing? Imagine that.

crazyozzie02
01-26-2007, 11:44 PM
yeah, what was the policy for the lines. where there wrist bands or what? and i though thome wasnt sposed to be there

Brian26
01-26-2007, 11:48 PM
I'll be curious to see what everyone's experiences were regarding the autograph lines as it was hard to get a read on all of them as everything was spread out over multiple floors.

I think we talked briefly after the AJ signing, which I was in line for only about 50 minutes, so I thought that was great. Tonight felt more like a Soxfest from 2002 or 2003 than last year, which is a good thing (less people = more comfortable experience).

The big news out of the Brooks/Singleton seminar is that Dollar-Dog Thursday is over. Instead, they are going to sell hotdogs (not kosher though) at half price for the first hour after gates open every day.

I had a pretty good haul:

Jose Contreras auto:
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1132.jpg

Robin Ventura auto (autograph isn't really wavy, camera is just playing tricks):
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1133.jpg

Brian Anderson game used helmet from garage sale:
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1138.jpg

Jon Garland auto on Sox World Series ball, Alex Cintron auto, Toby Hall auto (#44)
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1129.jpg

AJ Game Used Bat from garage sale:
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1142.jpg

crazyozzie02
01-26-2007, 11:52 PM
nice pics. was there a lot of stuff in the garage sale left? im going tomorrow and i want to know how much of a selection there is

Brian26
01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
nice pics. was there a lot of stuff in the garage sale left?

No, BainesHOF and I bought all of the good stuff :D:

Unless you need a Geoff Blum San Diego Padres bat.

BeefyD
01-26-2007, 11:58 PM
hehehe....

so, by the looks of it, were you actually able to go from one line and get into one of the second sessions lines?!?! Then it really must have been like 2003 or before...

and gotta ask..how much was the AJ bat?

jenn2080
01-27-2007, 12:00 AM
I thought this Soxfest was GREAT. Lines were great the crowds were great and it was very organized. They gave out wristbands for most of the people signing later. All in all I think it was a great Soxfest so far. I got 5 autographs and shopped. I got Jose, Darren, Burls, Crede, and Cintron. I am very impressed by the outcome so far.

FedEx227
01-27-2007, 12:02 AM
What were the usual prices for the helmets, bats, etc. I went to the 2005 SoxFest, but didn't have time to check out the garage sale.

Brian26
01-27-2007, 12:04 AM
so, by the looks of it, were you actually able to go from one line and get into one of the second sessions lines?!?!

There was still some cheating going on. You're not supposed to be in line for Player A if you have a wristband on for Player B. They announced this and made a big deal about it, but I'm not sure they actually enforced it.

jenn2080
01-27-2007, 12:10 AM
There was still some cheating going on. You're not supposed to be in line for Player A if you have a wristband on for Player B. They announced this and made a big deal about it, but I'm not sure they actually enforced it.

They did enforce it. BIG TIME!

HotelWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 12:18 AM
good thread, I am also interested in the experiences and a good opportunity to make me jealous (crossing my fingers for a small chance to get in sunday). Just from reading the Sox site article, would love to be in some of those seminars.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070125sox,1,5951412.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I wonder if Cotts was really the hardest worker or just some subliminal Cubunism.

BeefyD
01-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Between the 3 of us going tomorrow, one wants a Buehrle, one wants Crede... personally, I want Chet Lemon.. unfortunately, they all sign at the same time. However, Contreras in the 10am would be nice... I just figured getting there at 8:30 and have to get in line for the 12pm autos

crazyozzie02
01-27-2007, 12:23 AM
im gonna get there about 9, but im just wondering when the wrist bands will be handed out for the 12 autos

CLR01
01-27-2007, 12:59 AM
Use the photo gallery and a link for all pictures you want to upload to the site. You will only be asked once.

Brian26
01-27-2007, 01:28 AM
Use the photo gallery and a link for all pictures you want to upload to the site. You will only be asked once.

No problem. I didn't know I was breaking any rules.

Those photos are uploaded on my Photobucket site. I thought the problem was when people tried to upload attachments to WSI, which eats up space. In this case, these are simply linked images. Do these take up the same amount of bandwidth?

Also, sometimes the photo gallery isn't updated for days or weeks at a time, so I'm not sure how logistically I could upload these and have anyone else see them tonight. I thought they were pertitent to the conversation.

I sent you a PM but didn't get a reply, thus the response here. Let me know if I've been mistaken for all these years regarding the links to photos.

Iwritecode
01-27-2007, 01:28 AM
So the Sox may have known what they were doing? Imagine that.

I'm sure the fact that the hotel didn't double-book the entire weekend helped tremendously...

sandknit
01-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Had the pleasure of picking up...

Jermaine Dye 2006 Vest and ALT jersey
Bobby Jenks 2006 Away jersey
Alex Cintron 2006 Home jersey

Plus Robin Ventura's auto for my wife who's in the hospital expecting twins! I'll make sure see doesn't see the CC bill from the garage sale.

HotelWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 02:01 AM
ChicagoSports.com pictures:

Erstad - http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-01/27586096.jpg

Minnie, nice ring - http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-01/27586153.jpg

Ozzie, nice jersey! - http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-01/27586165.jpg
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-01/27588259.jpg

Jose C, a stud, kneel and kiss the ring - http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-01/27586167.jpg

Batm, err Harold and Robin - http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-01/27586174.jpg

CLR01
01-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm sure the fact that the hotel didn't double-book the entire weekend helped tremendously...

And I'm sure the Sox played a part in making sure that didn't happen again.

NoNeckEra
01-27-2007, 12:27 PM
What were the usual prices for the helmets, bats, etc. I went to the 2005 SoxFest, but didn't have time to check out the garage sale.
I went Friday. My #1 interest is the Garage Sale, and the room is tiny, so they only allow maybe 15-20 people in at a time. So with each person spending at least 10-15 minutes each, the line takes a long time to move along.

But the selection was good Friday, ranging from $750 Frank Thomas jerseys and broken bats, to $100 "no-name" jerseys. Lot's of "throwback" uniforms and other Sox-worn apparel like windbreakers and warmup jerseys.

Great deals on varieties of sized hats($5 non game-worn, $10-20 worn).

Best deal: Signed Dan Wright official game baseballs $5 each. Good for playing catch.

HITMEN OF 77
01-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Just curious for those that went to the garage sale, anyone pick up or see the prices and styles of the Konerko jerseys?

caulfield12
01-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I went Friday. My #1 interest is the Garage Sale, and the room is tiny, so they only allow maybe 15-20 people in at a time. So with each person spending at least 10-15 minutes each, the line takes a long time to move along.

But the selection was good Friday, ranging from $750 Frank Thomas jerseys and broken bats, to $100 "no-name" jerseys. Lot's of "throwback" uniforms and other Sox-worn apparel like windbreakers and warmup jerseys.

Best deal: Signed Dan Wright official game baseballs $5 each. Good for playing catch.

Didn't you see Sandlot? Those Wright balls are going to be worth in the thousands when he makes a comeback like Parque and wins the Cy Young. You're taking a major risk there.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=216106

FarWestChicago
01-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Also, sometimes the photo gallery isn't updated for days or weeks at a timeThis is not true.

itsnotrequired
01-27-2007, 02:03 PM
This is not true.

Like you would know.

:redneck

Brian26
01-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Today was crowded, but very, very comfortable. There was room to walk around and see things and not feel overwhelmed.

The Owens/Sweeney/Fields seminar was fantastic.

The Ventura/PK/Baines/Walker seminar was really, really good too.

Konerko talked about some of his struggles when he first came to the Sox, and Hawk said PK would beat himself up more than anybody he's ever seen. PK categorizes his career in two parts- everything before '03 and everything after '03. He gives credit to Walker for turning him around. Walker broke down his swing and told PK he was going to have to forget everything he ever knew and put all of his trust in Walk to make it work. PK says now he'll get into slumps and know how to get out of them and why they are happening, but before '03 he never knew what the problem was...it was all random.

Baines had some good insight too. He said his trick throughout his career was that he would always concede the inner half of the plate up until two strikes, but whenever he had two strikes he would look inside. Hawk said Baines was one of the top three clutch hitters of all time in his book (with Yaz and George Brett, big surprise). Baines was clutch in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings- and sometimes the 25th inning (cool reference to that '84 games vs. Milwaukee).

Hawk asked Ventura about hitting all of those grand slams. Ventura said he got lucky in the sense that he had an aura around him late in his career, where pitchers would know his reputation when he would come up with the bases loaded, and pitcher would try to trick him early, which would lead to a lot of 2-0 counts. So Ventura said he had one to rev back on so he would just let it all hang out on 2-0 counts and got lucky to get a lot of fastballs- so he increased his grand slam total.

I overheard some of the vendors complaining that they weren't getting any traffic in their area.

I'll post more later on the seminars...

Dick Allen
01-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Best deal: Signed Dan Wright official game baseballs $5 each. Good for playing catch.What type of throwback jerseys did they have?

Domeshot17
01-27-2007, 05:56 PM
im gonna get there about 9, but im just wondering when the wrist bands will be handed out for the 12 autos

you have any luck? We wondered down and slept on the floor at about 4, when I got up at 6 to grab some coffee/red bull the line was out the door.

We were in the first 100 in, which was awesome was able to score Konerko Jenks Vazquez Baines and Greg Walker.

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-27-2007, 06:04 PM
I thought the no-name players were going for a bit much imo. A Stephen Randolph Jersey going for 125 bucks seems kinda ridiculous, but they did have some good deals on new and game worn hats though.

santo=dorf
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=baineha01&year=00

Baines career close and late (Late & Close are PA in the 7th or later with the batting team tied, ahead by one, or the tying run at least on deck.): 1717PA's, 67 HR, 257 RBI's, .284/.360/.474
George Brett: (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=brettge01&year=00)
Yaz: (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=yastrca01&year=00)
Joe Crede (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=credejo01&year=00)
A-Rod (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=rodrial01&year=00)

A-Rod looks the most clutch to me. :D:

Brian26
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
More from the seminars:

Greg Walker talked about weight training in baseball. Hawk said back in his day they weren't allowed to lift weights. It was a thousand dollar fine for lifting any sort of weight, and a two thousand dollar fine if they got caught lift weights over their head. Walker mentioned that Brian Anderson asked him what he thought about BA's physique (BA came into Soxfest bulked up like Rowand did in 2002). Walker said he didn't really have an opinion on it, but he's worried its going to hurt his range of motion. Didn't seem like Walker was very happy with it.

Walker disagrees with people who say you should have your weight on the back foot when you make contact. He preaches 50/50 weight distribution between front and back feet at contact. Walker talked a little about reading Charlie Lau's book.

Hawk's favorite player growing up was Mickey Mantle. Baines said his dad was his favorite. Ventura liked guys who threw righty/hit lefty.

Someone asked about their favorite stadium to play at on the road. Konerko said Safeco, even though it's not a hitter's park. Walker touted how great US Cellular has become. Baines said Camden Yards because that's where he's from. Hawk also said Baltimore. Ventura said, when he was playing in the early 90's, it was Seattle...because they had the worst pitching staffs in MLB.

Someone asked Konerko his thoughts right after he hit the homer off Qualls in Game 2. He said it's all a blur, he can't really remember circling the bases.

Hawk made fun of Ventura's 0-for-41 streak but said his reputation grew in stature that year in the clubhouse because he never cast blame on anyone else or made excuses. Baines said he went 0-for-21 to start his career.

Konerko's advice for young players is to play as much baseball as they can. Hawk said the most important thing is to have fun.

BeefyD
01-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Just got home.... Brian26, good job recounting the seminars...

Got Crede, Ozzie and Robin. Met Jerry Reinsdorf, Moose Skowron and Roland Hemond just walking about (at different times). Garage sale was overpriced, I thought. $300 for an Iguchi bat? No. The sheet of commemorative WS tickets is down to $20 from $100 last year. I picked up an opening day bunting to match my WS one (the opening day bunting was $20). They had Garcia signed balls for $30. The jerseys were overpriced for the most part, but they still had black and vest jerseys from the World Series (if you want Casanova). They had a Hermanson and Kusnyer 1959 throwback (only those 2), which was beautiful. The BP jerseys are cheaper, and you can still get most players. Most jerseys are $150 and up, up, up.... They also had a few 1983 throwbacks, full uniform. The one in front was Flash Gordon's. $250, if I recall.

The best deal, I thought, but the wife would've killed me, are the flags that were flown at US Cell before they changed them last year. That 1919 American League Champs was callin' my name. Anyway, they were asking $250 for those. Pepsi giveaway bats - $10. Luggage - $50. Equipment bags - $100 (they had a Gload and Cintron, among others).

I you fell lucky, try the mystery bag. For $20, I got (in one bag): 2005 Division Series program, a program from last year, a Sox hat, a trophy tour t-shirt, sox pride wristband, Neil Cotts signed ball, Crosstown Classic comm. cup, grinder rules poster, rally sock and a pencil. My buddy also bought one, and he got the same as me, but he also got the players cookbook. Considering a MLB baseball is $10, what a deal!!!! I talked with others in line for autos who got Gload signed photos, Buehrle signed ball, Crede signed picture, etc...

Had a BLAST. Brought back my love for Soxfest.

Daver
01-27-2007, 06:41 PM
No problem. I didn't know I was breaking any rules.

Those photos are uploaded on my Photobucket site. I thought the problem was when people tried to upload attachments to WSI, which eats up space. In this case, these are simply linked images. Do these take up the same amount of bandwidth?

Also, sometimes the photo gallery isn't updated for days or weeks at a time, so I'm not sure how logistically I could upload these and have anyone else see them tonight. I thought they were pertitent to the conversation.

I sent you a PM but didn't get a reply, thus the response here. Let me know if I've been mistaken for all these years regarding the links to photos.

Then post the links instead of the images.

It is not so much the bandwidth, but the load times, images like that are very slow to load for members on dial up connections.

Brian26
01-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Then post the links instead of the images.

It is not so much the bandwidth, but the load times, images like that are very slow to load for members on dial up connections.

Those still exist? :D:

Got it...thanks.

Brian26
01-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Just got home.... Brian26, good job recounting the seminars....

Thanks. I still have to type up the rookie seminar later after dinner. I thought that was even better than the power hitters. Lots of good stories.

They also had a few 1983 throwbacks, full uniform. The one in front was Flash Gordon's. $250, if I recall.

I saw those at the end of the day. They also had a Marte and Robbie Alomar. I agree, both of them were way overpriced (probably why they are still unsold).

BeefyD
01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I saw those at the end of the day. They also had a Marte and Robbie Alomar. I agree, both of them were way overpriced (probably why they are still unsold).

That's right!!! And the Robbie one was also signed. Forgot about that. As for the prices, eBay has a 2000 Ray Durham game-worn jersey, signed and authenticated by MLB, for $175 with 0 bids. So that shows a market price.

Other notes: I ran into Scottiehaswheels in line for Ozzie and Robin. Also, from what I remember people saying last year, Crede's signature for the Soxfest has to be the sloppiest I've ever seen compared to other signings. But hey, free is free and I have a pic with him, so I don't care. Just got a chuckle after I walked out of the room and looked at it. :D:

WSC2005
01-27-2007, 09:07 PM
For $20 bucks the best thing in my mystery bag was, unfortunately, the cookbook. No signed merchandise - but the kid divided up the free-bees amongst his siblings and I scored a green sox hat from St. Patricks day. The kid cried about that, but he will get over it. A bit p-oed that we arrived at 9:10 and the Crede wristbands were gone - I expected not to get into Konerko, but come-on. Was able to get Jenks, Garland, Baines & Walker. They need to pace things a bit - Saw the 1977 Sox reunion with Hemond, Kravec, Lemon, Orta - brought back a lot of good, and bad memories as I went with a friends family to K.C. for the Sox road trip that started the season's downfall. Lemon was/is such a good guy - funny story about the slow Garr and Zisk being told to play the lines and how Lemon had to field 70% of the outfield. Would have liked to hear Guillen's seminar, but of course can't do everything if you are only there for one day. . . Thanks for the recaps. Oh - there was a Kevin Bell sighting in the 1977 seminar, I had all but forgotten the excitement when he came up!

A. Cavatica
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
The Danny Wright balls are good for playing with my kid...he'll be able to jack a few out of the park.

RadioheadRocks
01-27-2007, 10:04 PM
More from the seminars:
Hawk made fun of Ventura's 0-for-41 streak but said his reputation grew in stature that year in the clubhouse because he never cast blame on anyone else or made excuses. Baines said he went 0-for-21 to start his career.

I remember watching Harold at the very beginning of the 1980 season (back in the good ol' days of Channel 44) and I distinctly remember him ALWAYS swinging at the first pitch.

chisoxmike
01-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, just got home.

SoxFest for me was kind of blah.

I didn't get the "I want to season to start tomorrow" feel I usually do when I leave every year. The Kenny/Ozzie seminar was very ho-hum. Normally, the line for questions wraps around the seminar room, this year, only a handful of people went up to ask questions.

I also didn't get the "you're at SoxFest" feel to the thing. You just kind of walk in and do your thing. I think thats because things were so spread out over a few floors.

Also, there seemed to be less merchandise this year than in years past. Grandstand wasn't there, and too many vendors that were just selling baseball cards. (sorry Gene:tongue: )

Anyway, it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it great or anything. But thats just me, I know a lot of people that just loved it this year.

It was pretty tame and subdued, but I think a lot of that has to do with the Bears and how most people are more concerned about the Super Bowl right now than SoxFest and baseball season.

JohnTucker0814
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, I haven't read this entire post, but just wanted to say that I am at the hotel right now and am having a great time! I've been able to get as many autographs as I want... the trick is getting in the first line and getting a wrist band, then you take it off... go get other bands... it works great...

If anyone wants to party tonight, i'm on the 11th floor!!!! haha

caulfield12
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
"It was pretty tame and subdude"

Thanks for coming up with my new favorite word! They should have worked it into the Big Lebowski.

Domeshot17
01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Question here, I think Hal might be able to help me. We pulled 10 bucks worth of pencils for WCSF (which worked out great, won a world series t shirt, which my girlfriend then turned around and bumped into Jerry Reinsdorf and he gladly signed it for her). But one thing we won is a pin that says Orgullo Pride, X style pin 2 bats. It has been bothering me that I don't know what it means.

Also if you are looking for a few minutes of fun, Run up to the top level, 6 and goto the Pride Crew table. I won my little sis a Sox Pride T Shirt by going 4-4 on sox trivia questions. Not too tough, just need to know your stats. Have 3 more guys to get tomorrow, and we can call it a success. Then Monday I sleep 19 hours to make up for the lack this weekend.

chisoxmike
01-27-2007, 10:26 PM
"It was pretty tame and subdude"

:redface: It's been a long day.

caulfield12
01-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Question here, I think Hal might be able to help me. We pulled 10 bucks worth of pencils for WCSF (which worked out great, won a world series t shirt, which my girlfriend then turned around and bumped into Jerry Reinsdorf and he gladly signed it for her). But one thing we won is a pin that says Orgullo Pride, X style pin 2 bats. It has been bothering me that I don't know what it means.

Also if you are looking for a few minutes of fun, Run up to the top level, 6 and goto the Pride Crew table. I won my little sis a Sox Pride T Shirt by going 4-4 on sox trivia questions. Not too tough, just need to know your stats. Have 3 more guys to get tomorrow, and we can call it a success. Then Monday I sleep 19 hours to make up for the lack this weekend.

LOL. Orgullo means pride in Spanish. Or orgulloso. Entiendes?

Domeshot17
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
HA, wow, that simple.

Thanks Caulfield, field a bit :redface: now

Brian26
01-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Rookie seminar recap.

Jerry Owens is exceptionally well spoken and sounds mature for his age.

Razor Shines was fired from being the manager of the Venezulean team. Shines said he wasn't going to leave the country unless his boys came with him, meaning Fields, Sweeney and Owens came back early too. Shines said the management down there wanted to go in a different direction. Farmer alluded to the fact that the Sox guys were down there to get some work in, while the team was expected more seriously to win at all costs by the city and the fans.

The guys talked about how dangerous it was down there and how bad the food was. Fields said he and Sweeney, when they touched down on the plane, had a gigantic feast at TGI Friday's as one of the first things they did when they got back.

Farmer said he played down there when he was in Rookie ball, and he actually had his family with him at the time. Farmer said one night, while they were staying in a home (shack), his daughter came to him and told him she was frightened because there were men outside her window. Farmer grabbed a baseball bat to go check it out, expecting a fight, and he found on his front lawn a cow, a rooster, a bull, and a chicken. He said he expected Venezula to be different, but he never thought he'd have a zoo in his front yard.

Owens talked about Shines getting kicked out of games in Triple A. Shines used to keep the lineup card under his hat, and when he got rung up he would take the lineup card and rip it into a bunch of little pieces in front of the home plate umpire.

Farmer said the three guys on the stage could be the starting outfield for 2008.

Shines said he was honored and blessed to coach such talented kids.

Someone asked Owens what the difference is between the Montreal/Washington organization and the Chicago White Sox. Owens responded with, "they know what the hell they are doing here." Crowd applauded for that huge.

Sweeney talked about the bus rides between cities in the minor leagues, and how the buses didn't have air conditioning, so the entire team would take their shirts and pants off and be sitting in their boxer shorts trying to stay cool. Shines said he was at the front of the bus fully clothed.

Owens said he used to watch Thome as a kid, and it was surreal to be in the same lockerroom as him, but he would never say that to Thome's face.

Fields said he was a Ken Griffey Jr. fan as a youngster. Owens said that Konerko pulled him aside and told him to feel free to ask any questions if he ever need advice on baseball or life.

Somebody, trying to be a smart-alec, asked Shines if he had done any research on how to be a third base coach and if he thought he was up to the task without any experience. This was the best reply of the entire seminar. Shines reminded the person that in triple-A the manager actually manages from the third-base coaching box, and he had been a minor league manager now for seven years, so, yes, he thought he'd do ok as a third base coach.

soxchick20
01-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, I haven't read this entire post, but just wanted to say that I am at the hotel right now and am having a great time! I've been able to get as many autographs as I want... the trick is getting in the first line and getting a wrist band, then you take it off... go get other bands... it works great...

If anyone wants to party tonight, i'm on the 11th floor!!!! haha

Same here. The bands were pretty loose, just had to slide them up the arm real high and get another, the longsleeves were a plus.

Brian26
01-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Jenks was really friendly in the seminars and the signings. He said he gets more nervous talking in front of a room of 100 people than he does on the mound in a tight situation in front of 40,000 fans.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1148a.jpg

StillMissOzzie
01-28-2007, 12:42 AM

Same here. The bands were pretty loose, just had to slide them up the arm real high and get another, the longsleeves were a plus.

And now, for a dissenting opinion: It's greedy SOB's like the both of you that cause dissappointment for so many other people who choose to play by the rules and get nothing. :angry:

Go ahead, flame away...

I'll post the rest of my SoxFest review later.

SMO

MrT27
01-28-2007, 12:06 PM
And now, for a dissenting opinion: It's greedy SOB's like the both of you that cause dissappointment for so many other people who choose to play by the rules and get nothing. :angry:

Go ahead, flame away...

SMO
My thoughts exactly. I saw a lot of little kids wanting autographs but never got any because the wristbands were all gone.
Next year instead of those paper ones that people could pull apart they need those plastic ones with the little button/snap thing so the only way you can take it off is to cut it.

mwc44
01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
And now, for a dissenting opinion: It's greedy SOB's like the both of you that cause dissappointment for so many other people who choose to play by the rules and get nothing...

:thumbsup: You tell 'em, SMO... you hit it right on the head!
:cheers:

soxwon
01-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow what a weekend!!
First off i was the chauffeur for a ladyfriend in a wheelchair.
That was an experience, Friday was a mess trying to figure out what elevators go to what floors, and what side of the floors they come down on.
As some areas were opposite the elevators, such as The exhibit and Food court.
Anyways we did figure these out eventually.
However it had its blessings as Wheelchair Folk were the first ones to get autographs, as we were up front, as the Players came up to the stage.
Also if i got a wristband for someone, my friend didnt need to get one and vice versa.
This way i got Jenks/aardsma Cintron/Contreras Sweeney/Owens
Baines/Walker And Buehrles autographs first thing.
You may have seen me up front along with another Sox fan, im sure a lot of people have seen, he's a tall guy, with a silvery/Gray Mop of hair like from the 60's. He has ST holder in sec 121 i believe and he's allways at soxfests.
Whats this guys name? He was in a wheelchair this year due to i believe hip replacement surgery.
I did see Kevin Hickey and Ken Kravec in the Lobby bar.
The garage sale was way overpriced as jerseys went from $100-$700
too much for my taste, and the vendors were minimal, as it seems every year it gets smaller.
I did hang out a bit with H18, Chisoxgirl, Pinwheels and Steff.
The seminar with Oz/Kw was fun, i did leave with a great optomism,
And being Da Reverand, im allways optomistic.
I love every move KW has made and i thing in two-three years we will be saying how AWESOME 3 or 4 of these "kid Arms" are.
Someone said AJ came in on crutches, Is this true?
Im pumped for the season, it is going to be TRIUMPHANT my Brudda's n"Sista's
of The Palehose.
I hope everyone had a good time, but there are alot of bugs to be ironed out in this setup.
Security was very Helpfull to the wheelchair people, and being staged on 4 floors or so, lines were smaller for autographs.
After the Jenks autograph we rushed to the Contreras line, but the wristbands were gone, but after seeing my friend was in a wheelchair, they escorted us up to the front of the line, how great is that?
Lots of fun, the food was limited, a few decent deals on merchandise.
Overall a very decent time.

DumpJerry
01-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I did hang out a bit with H18, Chisoxgirl, Pinwheels and Steff.
How soon they forget........it was nice meeting you, too.

champagne030
01-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Go ahead, flame away...

SMO

I've only gone into an autograph line a couple of times through the years, so I don't know all the **** that goes on in those lines. That said, you are absolutely correct!!!

:thumbsup: :yup:

soxwon
01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
How soon they forget........it was nice meeting you, too.

im sorry jerry it was a pleasure meeting you too.

Dick Allen
01-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Just got home.... Brian26, good job recounting the seminars...

Got Crede, Ozzie and Robin. Met Jerry Reinsdorf, Moose Skowron and Roland Hemond just walking about (at different times). Garage sale was overpriced, I thought. $300 for an Iguchi bat? No. The sheet of commemorative WS tickets is down to $20 from $100 last year. I picked up an opening day bunting to match my WS one (the opening day bunting was $20). They had Garcia signed balls for $30. The jerseys were overpriced for the most part, but they still had black and vest jerseys from the World Series (if you want Casanova). They had a Hermanson and Kusnyer 1959 throwback (only those 2), which was beautiful. The BP jerseys are cheaper, and you can still get most players. Most jerseys are $150 and up, up, up.... They also had a few 1983 throwbacks, full uniform. The one in front was Flash Gordon's. $250, if I recall.

The best deal, I thought, but the wife would've killed me, are the flags that were flown at US Cell before they changed them last year. That 1919 American League Champs was callin' my name. Anyway, they were asking $250 for those. Pepsi giveaway bats - $10. Luggage - $50. Equipment bags - $100 (they had a Gload and Cintron, among others).

I you fell lucky, try the mystery bag. For $20, I got (in one bag): 2005 Division Series program, a program from last year, a Sox hat, a trophy tour t-shirt, sox pride wristband, Neil Cotts signed ball, Crosstown Classic comm. cup, grinder rules poster, rally sock and a pencil. My buddy also bought one, and he got the same as me, but he also got the players cookbook. Considering a MLB baseball is $10, what a deal!!!! I talked with others in line for autos who got Gload signed photos, Buehrle signed ball, Crede signed picture, etc...

Had a BLAST. Brought back my love for Soxfest.Do you remember how much the '59 throwbacks were going for? Would have loved to get one of those.

ChiSoxGirl
01-28-2007, 04:09 PM
This was my 14th consecutive SoxFest and I have to say that overall, the vibe was more positive this year for me than last year.

I liked how the Opening Festivities were optional, allowing those who wanted to line up for the 4:45 and later autograph signings to do so. Because of this, I was as close to the front as possible for the Opening Festivities.
There was a lot more room to spread out for the Opening Festivities than in years past, due to what seemed like a bigger room.
The AWESOME deals were at Chicago Sports & Gifts. World Series Champions hooded sweatshirts that retailed for $50-60 were going for $10, the gray dugout jacket that retails for $125 was on sale for $60, authentic home white pinstripe jerseys with names & World Series or World Series Champions patches on them were going for $125, and World Series Champions car window flags were a measly dollar!
The proximity of Miller's Pub was perfect for hanging out afterwards. We headed there around 9 last night and surprisingly enough, there were plenty of seats at the bar and we only had to wait a few minutes for a table for the people in our group who ordered dinner.
While The Big Downtown (our Friday night hangout) isn't the Atrium Bar, it was decent and quiet enough to have conversations.But alas, there were negatives.

A friend of mine and his friend arrived around 6:30p on Friday and wanted to check their coats. I had to ask four different people if a Coat Check existed and got four different answers- one told me no, one told me yes, one told me they didn't know, and the last one finally pointed me in the right direction after ten minutes.
My room was on the 21st floor, and if you've never been to the Palmer House, certain elevators are allocated for rooms on certain floors. Naturally, floors 18-23 had three elevators, whereas all the other floors had four. I needed to go up to my room to drop something off on Friday around 6p and waited at least ten minutes for an elevator, and when I got in, Moose Skowron was inside complaining about how his card key for the Suites wasn't working!
In my opinion, there was poor signage throughout the SoxFest area. Yes, the levels were labeled well and all, but each of those signs had a lot of fine print on them and just seemed very confusing to me. There looked to be a lot of people wandering aimlessly, trying to find their way around.
I had no idea where Level 6 was until yesterday when I overheard someone saying you had to take the elevator up there! Each of the floors below the sixth had escalators or stairs between them, yet the sixth floor seemed almost hidden to me. There were no signs directing me to Level 6.
Despite the controlled crowd numbers, you still had the people who slept downstairs. Last night, some of us hung out in the Lobby by the bar well into the night and I saw the first person in line for this morning at 12:45a! No matter how small the crowds, people like this will always exist.
Guest Representatives seemed to say one thing regarding the distribution of wristbands, yet did another. Case in point. Around 9:15 yesterday morning while getting in line for Konerko, someone asked when wristbands for the Ventura/Guillen session at 2p would be handed out; we were told "noon or 12:30p." My plan was to get Konerko's autograph and then get my wristband for Robin & Ozzie immediately afterwards. Apparently, people started a wristband line at 9:30a for Ventura & Guillen, which is fine I guess, but what bothered me is the Guest Representative who told me they'd be issued around noon started issuing them almost immediately after the line started forming, negating his "noon or 12:30p" comment earlier. Consequently, these wristbands were gone by 10:15a... for a 2p autograph session. I was really upset because I went there this weekend to see Robin; he's my all-time favorite player.
This is minor, but the seminar room was like a meat locker! Brrrrr!

Brian26
01-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Sox Family seminar from this morning recap:

Melton, Hemond, Ventura, Singleton.

Someone asked Bill and Robin who their best buddies were when they played and if they still keep in touch. Ventura said he and Kirk McCaskill became very close and still see each other and go on family vacations. Melton said Ed Hermann when he was with the Sox, and when he went out to Oakland he hung out with a group of guys that enjoyed hunting in Northern California, like Joe Rudi, Sal Bando, and Fingers.

Melton left baseball and got into commercial real estate for 10 years. After that, when his kids were grown, he called Reinsdorf and told him he wanted to move back to Chicago and get back with the organization. Melton feels sometimes like the step child of the team because he's the first person Reinsdorf hired back that was actually gone before the Einhorn/Reinsdorf regime took over, so Melton says he owes JR a debt of gratitude.

Ventura has four kids - three daughters and a son. They are in high school, junior high, 6th grade, and 2nd grade. Ventura said he does a lot of coaching, especially basketball. Other than that, his life is pretty normal, and he spends his mornings making breakfast and getting the kids ready for school. He and his wife spend a lot of time taking the kids back and forth to school and practice. Ventura talked about how important it is to be around his kids (especially the 13 and 14 yr old daughters), so he's not really interested in coaching with the Sox for the time being. Ventura says he has to deal with traffic congestion like everyone else, and Singleton joked about him getting a police escort to soccer practice.

Melton really appreciates working in the city of Chicago now. When he was with the Sox in the 70's, he couldn't appreciate the city because being a player was more like a 9-5 job, and he would have to drive back out to the suburbs, take care of the kids in the morning, and do it all over again. Now he has time to enjoy the city and restaurants with his wife.

Ventura never held any animosity towards McDowell for ending the college hitting streak. McDowell called him to be his roommate after he was drafted by the Sox.

Melton talked about the outfield for the Sox when Tom McGraw was there, along with Walt Williams and Carlos May. He said McGraw had a terrible arm, so the Tribune once ran a story about the outfield with the headline: No Neck, No Thumb, and No Arm.

Hemond says Chet Lemon spends a lot of time running baseball camps nowadays.

Bill Melton never played high school baseball, and he only played six games on college baseball. He said he was drafted by the Sox after a scout saw him playing a pick-up game on the fields next to the Rose Bowl. He said there was a lot of animosity back then from minor league players towards college baseball players. He said the minor leaguers thought the college players were hot shots.

Melton said he feels close to Ventura because they are both third basemen and from California, and Melton joked that he taught Ventura to play third, so Robin should have given him one of those six gold gloves.

Hemond says Reinsdorf does a lot of things behind the scenes in terms of financial support for struggling former White Sox players, but Reinsdorf never gets credit for it.

Ventura said he knew it was a bad idea to charge Nolan Ryan when he was about halfway to the mound, but it was too late to turn around at that point. Melton defended him by talking about the two grand slams in the same game and the Grebeck homer.

Ventura said his kids have had a hard time adjusting to normal life now that they have to stand in line to get into baseball games as opposed to going through the front entrance without a wait.

BeefyD
01-28-2007, 05:34 PM
I think, without the exception of a MAJOR overhaul as to how they do autographs, there should a few tweaks:

1. wristbands should be passed out 1-hour before the signing. That way, if you arrive at 11am, you are not shut out of the festivities. And, if you get in a 10am line, you still may have a chance at a 2pm signing. I mean, with players only signing 200-300 autographs, they were done in about an hour (Crede flew through the line).

2. If you spend the $$ to get the weekend at the hotel, maybe you get to be guaranteed one wristband of your choice for each day. Just as a perk for those who spend the $$. (I didn't, but I think it's a good idea).

There are so many better ways to do this, where people can get most of the team to sign an item if they want. But, I'm not going to write a thesis on it. I had a great time on Saturday, and look forward to the season.

Brian26
01-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Rookie seminar recap:

Hosted by Hawk, with Sweeney, Fields, Owens, and Razor.

Hawk had Razor talk about his feelings towards all three guys, then had the rookies talk about Razor. Afterwards, Hawk talked about why he asked them to do it, which was to illustrate how articulate all three guys are, and he is correct. Owens, especially, is very well spoken.

Owens remembers the exact day and time when he learned he was being called up to the Sox, as his agent called him to tell him. Sweeney said he learned from Razor, which happened to be the same day Razor got called up last year (Sept 1). Owens said he was called up and put on the DL immediately so he could be used on the playoff roster, but he didn't know before that time that it was even legal to do that.

Hawk talked about when he was called up by the Oakland A's. He said Charlie Finley called him at 3am while Hawk was in the middle of a poker game, down $250.

Hawk said he would supplement his income during the season by playing pool at night and golf during the day. He said he only made $6,000 his first year in the majors, but he needed extra money because his expenses were $30,000!

Hawk talked about Fields and Owens being football players. He said he likes guys who played a little football, because it means they are hard-nosed and like to get their uniform dirty.

Someone asked Razor if, when the big club called Charlotte for a mid-season call-up, would they let Razor pick the person. Razor said he would get to suggest which player to call up, but he didn't get the final say (ie maybe Sweeney had better season stats to that point, but Fields was hotter in the past week and the better choice).

Hawk said Owens is talented but needs to learn a little bit more about playing baseball.

Hawk said he retired at age 29, and the biggest compliment he ever got was from Alvin Dark when Dark said Hawk was the only player he ever knew that would do anything at all to win a baseball game.

Hawk said that he, Reinsdorf, Kenny, Ozzie and a couple of other guys stayed up all night talking baseball and telling stories last night.

Razor said Ozzie called him up to offer the third base coaching job, and he took it immediately, then Kenny Williams called later to go through all of the formal details.

Hawk says, during Spring Training, he likes to hang out on the back fields and watch the minor leaguers and non-roster guys play because he already knows what we have on the major league roster. Hawk said the first time he ever saw or heard Razor was when Razor was chewing out his players one day. Hawk said there were all kinds of expletives flying, and he knew Razor meant every one of them.

My impression after listening to Razor during two seminars is that he's going to bring much more enthusiasm, leadership and preparation to the table than Raines. I wasn't sure about this move last Fall, but I really like Shines after this weekend.

BainesHOF
01-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Adding to my initial Day One comments after a long weekend...

Saturday was by far the most crowded of the three days to the point where I think the Sox may want to cut back their capacity a bit for Saturday. Sunday was more like Friday in terms of being comfortable and having manageable autograph lines.

It's surprising that well more than 10 years into Soxfest the organization still can't get its act together regarding the autograph lines. That isn't to say it's not trying to make the procedures more painless and fair, but the whole wristband situation is so random as to when they're going to be available. Some stations were handing out wristbands almost immediately for the second session, while people who were waiting for Ozzie were stuck in a hot, crowded hallway for at least a half hour before the wristbands, which were already present and in the hands of the ushers, were given out. The autograph schedule needs be put together with more thought, too. The one wristband rule made Sunday's opening session with Lemon, Orta and Kravec embarrassingly and needlessly empty. Within five minutes the line was empty and opened to anyone only nobody knew it unless you were thinking ahead of the organization and waiting for the gates to open.

It's also just about unforgiveable that some people who arrived early Sunday were made to wait outside in sub-zero windchill weather. There was plenty of space in the hotel to manage lines. It's almost comical that people were treated this way. The organization really needs to get to the bottom of why this happened and make sure it never happens again. I still can't believe the stupidity that caused this and allowed it to continue for some time. It was also weird to be given the third degree by hotel security when I arrived at 4:15 a.m. By then there was well over 100 people in line right in front of me.

Brian did a great job reporting on the seminars. I can vouch that the rookie one featuring Owens, Sweeney and Fields with Razor Shines on Saturday was great. Sunday's session with Kenny and Ozzie was pretty good too and given before a standing-room only ballroom crowd.

The hotel's layout and all of the Soxfest levels were confusing. Signage was not close to adequate and hard to read at certain places.

The best part of the weekend was the players. From everything I saw they were great with everyone.

Brian26
01-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Do you remember how much the '59 throwbacks were going for? Would have loved to get one of those.

The only one I saw left was an Art Kusyner. Unfortunately, I don't remember the price.

JGarlandrules20
01-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I went my first time for the whole weekend at it was pretty nice. I can understand how people say 3 days is more than enough. I'm really not a big fan of lines.

The lines to get in the fest were messed up.
I thought the fest was pretty well organized. I hated the way the areas were all on different floors. I liked the wristbands, but I wished they had a better system than giving them out wayyyyyy too early.

I saw a great amount of the seminars. When I was in line for Toby's autograph today, the score was right infront of us broadcasting. They interviewed Crede and Buehrle. I only really got the listen to Crede because the auto line started up when Buehrle was still talking.
Crede said that the organization has not approached him for a long term deal. He wants to stay here. And he said that Scott Boras works for him and not the other way around.
He was like 2 ft in front of me. It was sweet.

I shook Jerry Reinsdorf's hand one day. I didn't know what to say. I was like "Thanks for the...white sox?" Haha. I don't think he heard me. Thank goodness.

Ozzie is nice. I'm stupid and I don't know how to work cameras, so he let my friend pose for a second picture since I couldn't get it to work the first time.

Josh Fields knew my name. It basically blew my mind. I used to comment his myspace now and then, when he had one early last season. I didn't think he'd remember. It was so cool.

Viva Medias B's
01-28-2007, 08:03 PM
I was at SoxFest the entire weekend. I cannot comment on the autograph lines because I do not participate in them. The seminars were nice, but I noticed that Moose and Minnie weren't a part of them this year. The Moose seminars have always been one of the more popular ones. Also, it seems they repeated certain seminars each day (i.e., the '77 White Sox one).

In general, I liked the Palmer House Hilton as the venue. I was on the 19th floor, and I had to sometimes wait for the elevator. The Lobby Bar I thought was overpriced, and the $6.00 bottle of Budweiser I had was stale; its "Born On Date" was March of 2006 ─ meaning the bottle was well beyond its 110 days of freshness.

As for seeing players/personnel after hours, I did not see any. At the Hyatt, they would always stop by the Atrium Bar. This year, they apparently did not appear at the Lobby Bar, The Big Downtown, or Miller's Pub. Did any of you see them?

Despite the negative things I mentioned, my SoxFest experience overall was a pretty good one.

BeefyD
01-28-2007, 08:53 PM
The only one I saw left was an Art Kusyner. Unfortunately, I don't remember the price.

The Hermanson 1959 jersey was gone sometime during the day on Sat. His was there in the morning, gone by 3pm.

The Kusnyer jersey was $250, I believe.

soxstarter
01-28-2007, 08:56 PM
The beer bottles were too slippery at the lobby bar.

bafiarocks03
01-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Sorry guys..i know your all disappointed that i didn't go this year.
It sucks
I wasn't allowed to go! =[

No stories..=[

Sadddd

How was Brian ANderson!??

Hot as usaully!
I know his hair is ssupper long

tebman
01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
It sucks

No stories..=[

Sadddd

Hot as usaully!
Bafia, we hardly knew ye! Welcome back!

Spring training is right around the corner. We're looking forward to your exclamation marks!

ewokpelts
01-28-2007, 09:15 PM
2006 was the white sox overselling tickets...NOT the hotel

HotelWhiteSox
01-28-2007, 09:16 PM
It sucks

No stories..=[

Sadddd

Hot as usaully!

This is him hearing that you weren't coming

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-01/27586158.jpg

skobabe8
01-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Liz and I found tickets at 9am sunday and were at the palmer house by 10. Luckily, we went friday night for the post-fest activities so we acclimated ourselves with getting around the hotel. This saved us a little bit of time today, as far as knowing where to go and how to get there.

First stop was the garage sale. Since I had heard some good things about the mystery bags, I decide to take a chance and spend the 20 for one. It was a bust.

We passed the booth for Southside of Chicago Board of Tourism. That was kinda strange. Is that the new marketing angle for this season or something? Anyone know? Every link on their website takes you to whitesox.com.

We caught some of the rookie seminar. Pretty good question and answer session with Fields, Sweeney and Owens. When Hawk stopped telling his stories, of course. :D:

Went into the exhibitors area to get some food, but thought twice when we saw what they had. So we ran outside to Corner Bakery. Halfway through eating lunch, Fields and Sweeney walk in with their significant others (2 blondes) and sit down to eat. It seemed as if most everyone left them alone and gave them privacey which was great.

Went back in to catch the season ticket holders seminar with Brooks, and to make sure to get good seats for the kenny/ozzie/farmer seminar to follow. I loved how honest brooks was when answering questions. A couple of times he could have given people a political answer or the company line, but instead he was with up front. Specifically questions about the upper deck policy changing to allow people to go downstairs ("Not going to change"), dog day getting smaller ("It is, because its hard to have enough room for it with increased attendance"), and a suggestion to close 35th to car traffic to keep pedestrians safer ("Not gonna happen.") I wanted to ask him about any future ballpark upgrades like scoreboard, but never did. So if anyone heard him address that issue I would like to know about it.

Kenny and Ozzie were great. Ozzie was giving the writers who were standing up against the wall a hard time. KW seemed to get a little annoyed about a question that was about "Why did we pick up Erstad instead of Rowand." :tongue:
Cant say I blame him.
Pretty funny moment when some guy told kenny that he got an autograph from Fields and it said "Starting 3B 2007." Kenny's face was priceless, then the guy fessed up that he asked Fields to sign it that way.

All in all a good time. It was only my second ever Soxfest so its impossible for me to really compare to previous ones. But it seemed that there werent as many vendors this year. I didnt mind things being on different floors, and the seminar rooms were roomy and nice looking. Got a great deal on an authentic AJ jersey for $125. The lobby/Atrium at the Hyatt is so much better suited than that of the Palmer House. The bar in there is unimpressive and really expensive from all accounts. I didnt spend a dollar there. But no sense in fussing over that since this will be the home of Soxfest for years to come. I'd also like to know if any players were spotted after hours Friday or Saturday.

Brian26
01-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Final tally for the weekend:

Jose Contreras signed World Series Game 1 8x10 photo
Alex Cintron signed ball
Jon Garland signed World Series ball
Toby Hall signed ball
Robin Ventura signed 8x10
Javy Vazquez signed ball
Brian Anderson signed ball
Bobby Jenks signed World Series Game 1 8x10 photo
Ryan Sweeney signed 8x10
Josh Fields signed 8x10
Mark Buehrle signed World Series Game 2 8x10 photo

AJ game used bat
Brian Anderson game used helmet

Some other photos and cards from the vendors

Brian26
01-28-2007, 09:38 PM
KW seemed to get a little annoyed about a question that was about "Why did we pick up Erstad instead of Rowand." :tongue:
Cant say I blame him.

But Ozzie had a fantastic response, "because Rowand's on a team already!"

skobabe8
01-28-2007, 09:41 PM
But Ozzie had a fantastic response, "because Rowand's on a team already!"

Thats right! :D: Funny stuff.

Iwritecode
01-28-2007, 10:42 PM
2006 was the white sox overselling tickets...NOT the hotel

I heard from people that talked to Brooks and a few hotel people that it was the hotel's fault for double-booking the weekend.

hi im skot
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I heard from people that talked to Brooks and a few hotel people that it was the hotel's fault for double-booking the weekend.

I talked to Christine Reilly about that today...she said that the White Sox were a little too wrapped up in the World Series celebration when they started selling tickets for last year's SoxFest. By the time the Sox started looking at ticket sales, they had already over-booked.

bafiarocks03
01-28-2007, 11:09 PM
WoooO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited
I juist got taht liek spring training rush..when i get home..the game is on from Arizona..
its' nice
but that makes me think of Willie!
Miss that man. =[

ANyway!
THATS SOO WAHT BRIAN ANDERSON WAS DOING!!!!!!! =D
He was dissappointed.!

DumpJerry
01-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Those darn beer bottles were too slippery.

ChiSoxGirl
01-28-2007, 11:14 PM

:rolling: Oh... was that the excuse? :wink:

DumpJerry
01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
The beer bottles were too slippery at the lobby bar.

:rolling: Oh... was that the excuse? :wink:
Yes. They need to "serve" the beers in non-slip bottles and have a rubber floor (like in the commercial) so when and if the bottle slips, it bounces back up.

Domeshot17
01-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I thought Sox Fest was AWESOME this year, especially compared to last years blow up. I think it was still a little crowded, but whatever, we just won a World Series 2 years ago, so this comes with the territory. I had an awesome time, although I kind of knew how to use the system legally (only wristband scheme I had was the fault of sox staff, as they gave my fiancees mom 2 wristbands for some reason, so she gave me one of them). Saturday we left our hotel room and got in line at about 4, this morning 3. I think security did the best they could to keep people inside. I know on the top floor at about 6 AM we were told as all the people on the top level no more sleeping or laying down, tighten it up because of people outside. For being the first year there, it was ran awesome. Security found out a scam some peopled pulled, which was get on the elevator of their floor at 810 every morning and beat the line in. They only let handicapped people use the elevators sunday morning until everyone shuffled in.

Friday we took it easy, got our AJ wristbands early to ensure getting him, then hit the garage sale and vendors. Won a championship t shirt from the WCSF pencil pull, then 10 minutes later my Fiancee bumped into Jerry Reinsdorf, and he gladly signed for her and joked with us for a minute. Got some good game used hats at the Garage Sale. I thought the bats were over priced. Got AJ to sign then called it a night.

Saturday was the big day. We hit Konerko early. Then we ran and got one of the last Bobby Jenks wristbands. Right after that, like literally 20 seconds, a sox staff guy told us to please go get Vazquez to sign something, no one showed up for his line. I told him I think he is due for a huge 2007, he has the stuff its going to come together. He smiled, and said he is glad someone besides himself felt that way. Then got in line for Jenks. After him we went and grabbed our Baines/Greg Walker wristbands. This worked out great, because My fiancee's mom had nothing for Walker to sign, so he signed my mini world champs banner I won from the miller lite wheel.

Sunday was also a big day. We where 10th in the contreras line, got him right away. Then we went to get our Ventura wrist band, and found out Garland had not filled up. So I got a Ventura wrist band while my Fiancee got my picture signed by Garland. After finding out there was an Extra Buehlre, Kate took the Ventura band and I went for Buehlre. After Ventura, Kate went, got Cintron, then after Buehlre we finished up with Sweeney Owens and Fields.

I understand the people's frusteration with the wrist bands, but It was possible to do awesome without cheating the system. You just had to think logically. If you were way back in line, you could choose to try and catch the tail end of an early signing, or get a lesser guy early and a bigger name at the middle signings. I think the best advice I have is a game plan. We saved so much time knowing where to go from one point to another, instead of finishing up, reading who else was where, and waisting 10 minutes.

Final count was (between me and my Fiancee)
---------------
On my huge opening ceremony framed pic: AJ Jenks Buehlre Garland Konerko Baines Walker Contreras

Konerko Signed Half Way to St Pattys day Jersey

Mark Buehlre signed world series program

Javier Vazquez Ball

Vazquez and Contreras Ball

Greg Walker signed World Champs Banner

Added Sweeney Owens Fields Baines Walker to my super random Sox Bat

AJ/Jenks signed picture of them jumping on each other winning the series (which worked out great, found an empty plaque (no pic) MADE for that exact pic, the guy said the pic was stolen out of it earlier, sold me the plaque for 8 bucks.

Reinsdorf Signed T shirt

Cintron signed mini bat

Sweeney Owens Fields signed baseball

Her parents also scored big, even bumping into Erstad.

plus picked up Baines Pods Iguchi and BA game worn hats at the garage sale. Also picked up a ton of World Champions shirts for 5 bucks. Got a plaque of Pods celebrating his game 2 homer for Katie and bought a Jenks signed plaque for my little sister.

The guys were cool too. AJ was the first one to sign my big pic, said that moment was one of the most stunning, next to being a Dad. Konerko and Jenks joked with my girlfriend for a while, as did Ventura. Kate told Fields that we were there for his first homer, and that I called it 2 minutes before. He said thats awesome, to try and predict some more for him, and make them in games we win and matter. Contreras was very nice.

The only downer was the family party sucked. Pizza was kind of stale, and after paying 7 bucks for a beer, decided I would be better off getting a few hours of sleep before getting in line at 3. That and being bombarded by homeless beggers EVERY TIME I went for a smoke.

Overall I rate it an A+, especially for the first time. Talking to a security guard there, I guess I never realized how tough it is for them. Not possible to make 4,000 people a day happy.

Redid one of my walls tonight, will do the rest during the week. Threw um all on my photobucket site, heres the link if anyone wants to check some of the stuff out. http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/domeshot17/

The Flag pic is cool, but the flash blurred out Contreras sig a little and put some wierd relection up top

itsnotrequired
01-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Specifically questions about the upper deck policy changing to allow people to go downstairs ("Not going to change")

Excellent.

Domeshot17
01-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Also had one last question. When we were in line for Owens Sweeney Fields, one of the security guys radio went off, and it sounded like he said the last seminar had been protested or argued. Timing wise it seemed to be the final seminar with Kenny Williams. Anyone there know what happened? From what I heard from a few friends, he seemed also worn down at how much the Sox community questioned his trades, and even more so how much uproar losing guys like Buehlre and Crede has already started, let alone the day it does happen.

BainesHOF
01-29-2007, 12:14 AM
There was no protest or anything like that at Sunday's final seminar with Kenny and Ozzie, but I was struck how unwilling Kenny was to talk about much and how sort of beaten up he looked.

soxchick20
01-29-2007, 12:21 AM
I was at Sunday's Seminar as well, and there weren't any problems regarding security. Kenny was hesitant towards certain questions, but you can't blame him. A lot of the things he said about Buehrle were taken out of context by some of the writers in Fri and Sat papers.

SluggersAway
01-29-2007, 01:37 AM
But, where are all the stories about drinking with the players into the wee hours of the night at the bar? I thought that was the best part of SoxFest?

MUsoxfan
01-29-2007, 02:12 AM
But, where are all the stories about drinking with the players into the wee hours of the night at the bar? I thought that was the best part of SoxFest?

At the old venue. Their new watering hole is not yet widely known

salty99
01-29-2007, 09:45 AM
I had fun as well, but no real drinking stories. I didn't buy anything at the garage sale either. My wife and I ended up getting autos from Buehrle, Konerko, Ventura, Cintron, Crede, Erstad, Fields, Sweeney, Owens, Hall, Vazquez, Aardsma, Melton, Singleton, Ozzie, Walker, AJ, and Mackowiak.

DumpJerry
01-29-2007, 10:06 AM
I had fun as well, but no real drinking stories. I didn't buy anything at the garage sale either. My wife and I ended up getting autos from Buehrle, Konerko, Ventura, Cintron, Crede, Erstad, Fields, Sweeney, Owens, Hall, Vazquez, Aardsma, Melton, Singleton, Ozzie, Walker, AJ, and Mackowiak.
How big is your garage and how did they become so charitable?????:o:

Fox-To-Aparicio
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Had a great time with other member RHill72. Met some other WSi'ers at the bar. Bought a bunch of game used hats plus an Aj and Uribe batting helmet.

Here are some pictures.

Mod edit: Please post your picture in the photo gallery and not in the post.

ewokpelts
01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Also had one last question. When we were in line for Owens Sweeney Fields, one of the security guys radio went off, and it sounded like he said the last seminar had been protested or argued. Timing wise it seemed to be the final seminar with Kenny Williams. Anyone there know what happened? From what I heard from a few friends, he seemed also worn down at how much the Sox community questioned his trades, and even more so how much uproar losing guys like Buehlre and Crede has already started, let alone the day it does happen.no protesting...although i did point out that jared weaver got NO **** for wearing cardinal gear last october(he's an angel)

ewokpelts
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
There was no protest or anything like that at Sunday's final seminar with Kenny and Ozzie, but I was struck how unwilling Kenny was to talk about much and how sort of beaten up he looked.the cop out answer about dye's status was pretty telling ...my fiance mentioned that there's nothing wrong about saying "i dont know".....instead we got the typical" let's play 2007 first"

salty99
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
no protesting...although i did point out that jared weaver got NO **** for wearing cardinal gear last october(he's an angel)

That was you in the seminar!!! I remember Kenny getting agitated over it.

ewokpelts
01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
That was you in the seminar!!! I remember Kenny getting agitated over it.it's something that has pissed me off for years, and i felt compelled to back up burls here......jared weaver was acting like jock wife more than a professional ball player cheering on his brother, all dressed up in cardinal gear(despite working for another team), but buerhle get's **** for cheering for his local team when his employer(the sox) are out of it!
if i were a cardinal player in 2005, and from chicago, i'd be in sox gear as they trounced the astros.

mind you, i didnt know ANYTHING about the burls newspaper stories until after i got back home sunday night. i just wanted to give my boy buerhle some backup.

salty99
01-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Had a great time with other member RHill72. Met some other WSi'ers at the bar. Bought a bunch of game used hats plus an Aj and Uribe batting helmet.

Where did you take that Ozzie/ventura pic at?

Jerko
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM

By the looks of Ventura, at a Beatles reunion.

jenn2080
01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
By the looks of Ventura, at a Beatles reunion.

Robins hair is very EMO.

Domeshot17
01-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Rockin Robin DEFF had the Kevin Sorbo look going on

Fox-To-Aparicio
01-29-2007, 03:58 PM

We took it Saturday after the signing.

naprvllesoxfan
01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Here are some pictures.

Mod edit: Please post your picture in the photo gallery and not in the post.[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance but I cant find soxfest pictures in photo gallery. :redface:
How to I find them?
Thanks

skobabe8
01-29-2007, 10:41 PM
it's something that has pissed me off for years, and i felt compelled to back up burls here......jared weaver was acting like jock wife more than a professional ball player cheering on his brother, all dressed up in cardinal gear(despite working for another team), but buerhle get's **** for cheering for his local team when his employer(the sox) are out of it!
if i were a cardinal player in 2005, and from chicago, i'd be in sox gear as they trounced the astros.

mind you, i didnt know ANYTHING about the burls newspaper stories until after i got back home sunday night. i just wanted to give my boy buerhle some backup.

Kinda like Mackowiak was?

HotelWhiteSox
01-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for making me jealous, was planning to go on Sunday but something came up. Also a big thanks to Brian for the great recaps of the seminars

Here are some pictures.

Mod edit: Please post your picture in the photo gallery and not in the post.

Pardon my ignorance but I cant find soxfest pictures in photo gallery. :redface:
How to I find them?
Thanks[/quote]

Here is a link to the photo gallery http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com//gallery/ and one to upload your pictures http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/uploadphoto.php . I don't think there's a dedicated SoxFest category, but you can separate depending on the picture like current/former players, and all that. Or you can just link to your picture wherever it is uploaded.

ChiSoxGirl
01-29-2007, 11:01 PM
I forgot to mention meeting WSIers Brian26 & salty99. I was standing in line downstairs on Friday afternoon talking to one a friend of a friend and this guy turns around and says to me, "I know you...." Turns out it was Brian26- it was really nice to finally meet you. Salty99 & his wife showed up a little while later and we passed the time well by talking and looking at each other's Sox memorabilia that we brought. It was nice meeting you guys, as well.

As for WSIers I'd met before, I ran into StillMissOzzie in the vendors' room on Friday night, stopped by Hal at the WCSF booth and pulled a pencil, and also saw soxwon at The Big Downtown. It was good to see everyone.

Brian26
01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Also a big thanks to Brian for the great recaps of the seminars.

Thanks...I'm glad some people enjoyed them. I did all of those from memory, but I keep thinking of other things that were said that would have been good to share...

Robin Ventura was asked if he still keeps in touch with Fisk. Ventura didn't say he talks to him on a regular basis, but he talked about him with such love and reverence that it was honestly really touching. He said he last saw Fisk about two years ago in Boston, but he'll always look back on those early 90's teams with fondness. He said Fisk and his wife treated all of the young guys really well and taught them how to act, both on and off the field. He also said that Fisk's kids were really good to the young guys on the team. At first that seemed odd, but you have to remember that Casey Fisk and his sisters were just a few years younger than Ventura and Thomas at the time. So, I think Robin thinks of Carlton more as a father figure than a friend. It was an interesting perspective on their relationship.

TornLabrum
01-29-2007, 11:10 PM
I've kind of refrained from my official report because for those of us in the WCSF booth it was a very strange and kind of disconcerting experience. For about the first fifteen minutes or so that we were there setting up our booth, one of our board members seemed to be kind of distant and oblivious to what was going on. Then she got up and said to our president, "Something's wrong. I know you all, but I can't remember your names." She had difficulty completing a sentence, starting a thought but being unable to finish it, not able to remember the words.

I immediately thought "Stroke" and at that moment Mary Kay, our president said, somebody needs to get someone from security. I found a Sox security guard at the entrance to the hall, and let him know what was happening in the booth, and could he perhaps find someone to help us. His response, amazingly, was, "I can't help you. I just work for the White Sox."

Then I gathered my brains together and called 911, and let them know what was happening to her. I'm not sure if I approached her or if she approached me, but I let someone from the Sox front office know what was going on. She immediately contacted someone from hotel security and within a minute or two, the hotel manager and several security people were at our booth.

The paramedics were there in about five minutes. Before they left, Christine O'Reilly was there asking if there was anything she could do to help.

I think what I saw during the remainder of the weekend was pretty indicative of the class this organization has. At various times, everyone from her ticket agent to Brooks Boyer to Christine O'Reilly to Roland Hemond stopped by the booth asking if we had any updates on her condition.

I had a little mixup with the valet parking service with my car and had to go back to the booth to straighten it out. When I was there, Christine O'Reilly asked me to be sure we email her any news we had of her condition. You really have to respect an organization that is that concerned about the fans.

For the record, our board member did have a stroke, and did temporarily lose her speech, but as of Saturday afternoon, it had come back at least to the point where it was just before the paramedics took her away.

Those are my most vivid memories of SoxFest. The rest is just a kind of blur.

itsnotrequired
01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
"I can't help you. I just work for the White Sox."

***? That guy needs to get flogged.

Glad to hear your friend is doing better.

salty99
01-29-2007, 11:48 PM
I forgot to mention meeting WSIers Brian26 & salty99.

It was nice meeting you as well.

Vernam
01-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Torn, glad to hear your friend is better and will hopefully be okay. That's pretty frightening. One of the Sox employees you mentioned by name is a neighbor of ours, and one of the others soon will be. It's good to know what they're really made of. That first guy you asked for help deserves a reprimand.

Vernam

bahn1225
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
The problem I had with SOXFEST was the lack of coverage.
Sports Channel, or whatever it's called this year, in the past had one hour long shows, live, each day.
This year they had three minutes they taped on Friday and used that, and that alone, the rest of the weekend.
Are SOX that much less popular than they were in the past?

chisoxmike
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
The problem I had with SOXFEST was the lack of coverage.
Sports Channel, or whatever it's called this year, in the past had one hour long shows, live, each day.
This year they had three minutes they taped on Friday and used that, and that alone, the rest of the weekend.
Are SOX that much less popular than they were in the past?

It's called the Bears.

Also, Comcast Sports Net had reports from SoxFest every night on their news programs. But you have to remember that the local sports teams from Channels 2, 5, 7, 9, & 32, most of their sports reporters are in Miami and they have one sports reporter in town. They can't have them go to every event then back to the studio for the sportscasts at the end of the news.