PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Weaver to get over $8 million...

caulfield12
01-26-2007, 10:25 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9956542

FedEx227
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
In addition to his base salary, Weaver would be able to earn an additional $1 million in performance bonuses: $300,000 each for 180 innings or 28 starts, and 190 innings or 30 starts, and $400,000 for 200 innings or 32 starts.

:puking::puking: What a terrible free agent market.

oeo
01-26-2007, 10:36 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9956542

I guess they missed his great performance while pitching for one of their division rivals. They probably even slapped him around last year.

caulfield12
01-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm just surprised StL let Suppan walk too.

I guess with Wainright and Reyes, they feel they are set with two younger, affordable starters for the next 5 seasons. And I wasn't completely surprised by the Mulder deal, you almost had the sense that he felt he owed them something after 06. If only David Wells was so kind, lol. At least they were wise enough to let Marquis go.

And the Carpenter deal might have been the best signing of the entire offseason. But the Cardinals are definitely allowing the Cubs and Astros and Brewers to believe they're in the race.

SABRSox
01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
It's actually a pretty good contract for Seattle, considering it's only for a year.

Arkham
01-27-2007, 12:16 AM
I guess they missed his great performance while pitching for one of their division rivals. They probably even slapped him around last year.

Yep. He started 3 games against Seattle. His numbers:

0 W, 3 L, 15 2/3 IP, 14 ER, 23 H, 8 K, 8.04 ERA, 1.66 WHIP

thomas35forever
01-27-2007, 12:31 AM
Nobody should be surprised at the money free agents are being offered anymore. This'll probably carry over to the next offseason and beyond.

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 02:31 AM
The final piece to the puzzle!

But seriously, I guess Seattle is trying to catch lightning in a bottle and try to use its pitcher's friendly park to an advantage.

goofymsfan
01-27-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm not happy about this signing. I know the market was weak this year, but if I had to pick a Weaver to be on the M's, it wouldn't be Jeff. It would be his brother. I have not liked the GM here since we signed him. This just makes me not like him even more. Jeff did better when he moved to the NL. Like someone else posted, the M's beat up on him quite a bit last year. This signing doesn't make much sense. :angry::angry::angry:

caulfield12
01-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I'm not happy about this signing. I know the market was weak this year, but if I had to pick a Weaver to be on the M's, it wouldn't be Jeff. It would be his brother. I have not liked the GM here since we signed him. This just makes me not like him even more. Jeff did better when he moved to the NL. Like someone else posted, the M's beat up on him quite a bit last year. This signing doesn't make much sense. :angry::angry::angry:

If they wanted Weaver, they'd have to trade Ichiro to get him? No, you can't just dump Sexson, Beltre and J. Reed on them for Weaver, lol.

Although they could use the "good" Beltre for sure. And they could solidify first, although they did sign Toronto washout boy.

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 08:38 AM

You could ease up with this:

:bong:insert teal

Oblong
01-27-2007, 09:44 AM
well considering what the other FA pitchers got this off season then I think this is a good deal for Seattle. Weaver's 2006 was the exception to his career. He's an average pitcher who stays healthy. In today's market that should be worth more than 1 year $8 million.

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 10:09 AM
well considering what the other FA pitchers got this off season then I think this is a good deal for Seattle. Weaver's 2006 was the exception to his career. He's an average pitcher who stays healthy. In today's market that should be worth more than 1 year $8 million.

Are you just saying that because he shut-down your tigers in Game 5 of the world series?

I guess your right but the only reason why he was offered that was because he was a pitcher that couldn't make it the AL(i.e.-having a horrible 3-10 record), but if Jason Marquis can get a 3year/21 million dollar deal, then why not Weaver.

jabrch
01-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Q: If Weaver gets 8mm, what does a guy like Freddy get next year?

A: WAY TOO MUCH

Pitching is crazy-expensive. That's why I am so glad we have stocked up on high value young arms. Mediocre veteran arms are not worth holding when you can convert them into multiple young arms.

caulfield12
01-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Are you just saying that because he shut-down your tigers in Game 5 of the world series?

I guess your right but the only reason why he was offered that was because he was a pitcher that couldn't make it the AL(i.e.-having a horrible 3-10 record), but if Jason Marquis can get a 3year/21 million dollar deal, then why not Weaver.

I think a lot of it has to do with the way he self-destructed in Los Angeles.

Also, it's further down the thread, if Garcia gets inflated stats in the NL because of the disparity of talent and weaker line-ups, it will drive up his price to $13-15 million for some dumb AL team that takes a risk with him.

drewcifer
01-27-2007, 01:26 PM
You could ease up with this:

:bong:

Are you serious, or were you just looking for an excuse to add the bong to your repertoire of profuse tealism and smilies?

If I'm an Ms fan, I'm just as frustrated as Goofy. This will be Jarrod Washburn, part II. Stupid signing; why anyone would pay that kind of money to bring him back into AL West is devoid of any logic or common sense.

WhiteSox5187
01-27-2007, 01:29 PM
This sorta stupid spending is exactly why the Sox are going to lose Buerhle next year:(:

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Are you serious, or were you just looking for an excuse to add the bong to your repertoire of profuse tealism and smilies?

If I'm an Ms fan, I'm just as frustrated as Goofy. This will be Jarrod Washburn, part II. Stupid signing; why anyone would pay that kind of money to bring him back into AL West is devoid of any logic or common sense.

Obviously I was just joking. Come on people!

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 01:57 PM
This sorta stupid spending is exactly why the Sox are going to lose Buerhle next year:(:

I don't know about that, because you have to think about the teams that might be spent for next year when the free agent market gets good and the prices may get driven down due to ample amount of FA's for less demand. Remember in 2000 when this stuff happened back then.

SOXSINCE'70
01-27-2007, 05:04 PM
This sorta stupid spending is exactly why the Sox are going to lose Buehrle next year:(:

I fixed it for you.And who says the Sox are going to let
him go without making a decent offer?? Before the hand
wringing starts,let the 2007 season play out.

A. Cavatica
01-27-2007, 09:50 PM
It would be worth paying Earl $8M to come out of retirement and manage the Sox...

WizardsofOzzie
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Fantastic word :thumbsup:

goofymsfan
01-27-2007, 10:24 PM
If they wanted Weaver, they'd have to trade Ichiro to get him? No, you can't just dump Sexson, Beltre and J. Reed on them for Weaver, lol.

Although they could use the "good" Beltre for sure. And they could solidify first, although they did sign Toronto washout boy.

I know the only way to get Jered would be to trade for him and that would be expensive and probably not worth it in the long run. I was just saying I'd rather have Jered then Jeff on the M's.

I went to day one of the Mariner's fanfest and between Bavasi (GM), Armstrong (President) and Lincoln (CEO) they are trying to tell the fans that we are much improved and that we are better than the other AL West teams in terms of the moves we made and we will compete. I'd like to have some of what ever they are smoking because I just don't see how we are a better team. If people perform up to their potential and actually stay healthy (good luck here), we might do okay, but I'm not going to be holding my breath. There are 162 games to be played so we will have to see how they play out.