PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of Lefties...more cuts...

TimChamp
03-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Looks like the key guy (Onan Masaoka) in the JB trade just got released...who's going to be our lefty now???...Wade Parrish sure looks good right about now...did he get cut or something??? :?:

From ChicagoSports.com:
The Sox on Tuesday optioned pitcher Kyle Kane to Triple-A Charlotte and reassigned Joe Borchard to minor-league camp. Borchard is out four to six weeks with a broken foot. He was batting .375 in nine spring games. The Sox also released pitcher Onan Masaoka.

Here's the link to the whole article:
Who's going to be our lefty? (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,177526,00.html)

Check it out and tell me what you guys think... :gulp:

kermittheefrog
03-13-2002, 12:26 AM
Jeez, what was the point of ever getting Masoaka? I'm calling this right now, someone will give him a chance and he'll have some success.

RichH55
03-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Jeez, what was the point of ever getting Masoaka? I'm calling this right now, someone will give him a chance and he'll have some success.

I'm with you here, why release the guy? You can never have too many healthy leftie arms in the system

DrCrawdad
03-13-2002, 01:21 AM
I've checked MLB.com's transaction section. They don't (as of 1am Wednesday) have anything about the Sox releasing Onan.

I remember KW promoting Onan as this great lefty. And now if it's true that Onan was released, what did the Sox get for JB - Majewski (sp?)? And the wrong Berry?

Pulsipher, Embree - both of these stiffs have jobs. Hell, even Jesus Pena is still pitching. Pena is with the Brewers and got a save the other day.

If I have a son I'm going to force him to throw with his left hand. Because he'll always have a job in baseball.

BTW-Ken Vining is still hanging around.

RichH55
03-13-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I've checked MLB.com's transaction section. They don't (as of 1am Wednesday) have anything about the Sox releasing Onan.

I remember KW promoting Onan as this great lefty. And now if it's true that Onan was released, what did the Sox get for JB - Majewski (sp?)? And the wrong Berry?

Pulsipher, Embree - both of these stiffs have jobs. Hell, even Jesus Pena is still pitching. Pena is with the Brewers and got a save the other day.

If I have a son I'm going to force him to throw with his left hand. Because he'll always have a job in baseball.

BTW-Ken Vining is still hanging around.

Woooh...a new jesus pena sighting? I thought he was with the Indians....if he is with the Brewers than i can cheer for him again....perhaps karma owes me

DrCrawdad
03-13-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Woooh...a new jesus pena sighting? I thought he was with the Indians....if he is with the Brewers than i can cheer for him again....perhaps karma owes me

Not that I'm that much interested in Jesus Pena's career, but here you go. He was with Boston last year, following the White Sox sending him there via trade. I believe that he was a non-roster invitee with the Brewers.

I kind of expected Pena to do well with the White Sox. But I'm still having nighmares about his "performance" 2000 at Comiskey on the Sunday game 3 vs. the Cubs. The Sox had the opportunity to sweep the Cubs and then the Sox seemed to bow down.

Then when Pena hit (I can't remember his name) that player and then admitted that he threw at him, his days with the Sox were numbered.

There are quite a few ex-White Sox players we can root for when they face the Cubs - Kip, Sean Lowe, Fogg, Pena to name a few.

DrCrawdad
03-13-2002, 02:07 AM
The same day the Tribune said Onan was released the Sun-Times said this:

"Wunsch's health is becoming a concern because he is one of only three left-handed relievers in the major-league camp after the Sox made a number of roster moves Monday. Wunsch, Onan Masaoka and Mike Porzio remain after Thomas Jacquez, Corin Malone, Arnaldo Munoz and Dennis Ulacia all were reassigned."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt12.html

TimChamp
03-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Nope, it's official, they gave Onan his unconditional release, according to the Sun-Times:
In other moves, right-hander Kyle Kane was optioned to Class AAA Charlotte, and the club requested waivers on left-hander Onan Masaoka to give him his unconditional release.

Here's the link to the article:
Onan no more... (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt13.html)

Well, that was a HUGE waste, like you guys said, we can use all the lefties that we have...I mean, does he think that Jacquez guy is better or was Onan released just because of his salary??? :o: Anybody have any figures on that??? :?: :angry:

DrCrawdad
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
Nope, it's official, they gave Onan his unconditional release, according to the Sun-Times:
Here's the link to the article:
Onan no more... (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt13.html)

Well, that was a HUGE waste, like you guys said, we can use all the lefties that we have...I mean, does he think that Jacquez guy is better or was Onan released just because of his salary??? :o: Anybody have any figures on that??? :?: :angry:

This seems really odd to me. Last week they announced that they signed Onan to a contract, and then 6 days later they release him?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/transactions/mlb_transactions_majorteam.jsp?maj_team=cha

It seems odd, but this is the KW regime that we're talking about. I'll be listening to the game this afternoon. We'll see if Rooney/Farmer mention this matter.

-DrCrawdad.

DrCrawdad
03-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Well, I just heard Farmer/Rooney and they said that Onan was released.

RichH55
03-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Although not a horrible move on a grand scale that screws a team for years ala Clayton/Alomar, a move you shouldn't make....ususally KW has been better at the lower risk moves....I jsut don't understand this one