PDA

View Full Version : Who Fills the Last Roster Spot?

ChiTownTrojan
01-26-2007, 02:02 AM
With Podsednik probably out for a while, there is still one open spot on the roster. It'll most likely go to one of the young outfielders, but could also go to a pitcher if we go with a 12-man staff (like Coop suggested in his interview a couple weeks back). Who do you think is the favorite right now?

My vote would be for Sweeney if he has another good ST. Won't be a permanent thing, but it would be nice for him to get a little taste of the big leauges before going back down to Charolotte for more playing time. Ditto for Fields if he has a better spring. Another option is Owens if we use him primarily as a pinch runner.

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 02:57 AM
Erstad was already signed

ChiTownTrojan
01-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Erstad was going to fill the last spot if Podsednik wasn't hurt, but with Pods most likely missing the start of the season there is still one openning. So I will pose the question again: who fills that last spot? Sweeney? Fields? Owens? A 7th RP?

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Ross Gload

But if all goes well......Rookie of the Year candidate Ryan Sweeney!

CashMan
01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
I think Ozzie said he wanted to keep 12 pitchers.

Flight #24
01-26-2007, 02:19 PM
IMO the roster as it currently stands is:

IF: Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Cintron (MI), Mackowiak (CI)
OF: Dye, Anderson, Erstad, Ozuna
C: Pierzynski, Hall
DH: Thome
SP: Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Floyd/Broadway
RP: Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Masset, Aardsma, Haeger

Last spot: either a pitcher (Sisco/Broadway/Phillips), or less likely a young hitter: Fields, Sweeney.

The last spot goes to a hitter only if one of the guys plays well enough in ST to earn at least a 50% spot in LF. Then when Pods comes back, that's his spot.

jcw218
01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I think Ozzie said he wanted to keep 12 pitchers.

If the Sox do go with 12 pitchers with Pods being healthy, that leaves 4 spots open for the following players to fill , Erstad, Ozuna, Hall, Cintron, and Mack. The odd man out IMHO in this cased would be either Ozuna or Mack.

soxtalker
01-26-2007, 02:24 PM
It's fun to speculate who would fill that position, but I suspect that there may be further changes by the end of spring training. There always is a shuffling in late ST, as teams are forced to make decisions on their rosters. IIRC, the Thornton/Borchard trade only came about toward the end of ST, as both Seattle and the Sox were trying to get something of potential value for players that they weren't willing to keep on their ML rosters.

I still say that this has been one of the more interesting off seasons, and I suspect that it isn't over.

UserNameBlank
01-26-2007, 11:48 PM
IMO the roster as it currently stands is:

IF: Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Cintron (MI), Mackowiak (CI)
OF: Dye, Anderson, Erstad, Ozuna
C: Pierzynski, Hall
DH: Thome
SP: Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Floyd/Broadway
RP: Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Masset, Aardsma, Haeger

Last spot: either a pitcher (Sisco/Broadway/Phillips), or less likely a young hitter: Fields, Sweeney.

The last spot goes to a hitter only if one of the guys plays well enough in ST to earn at least a 50% spot in LF. Then when Pods comes back, that's his spot.

If a pitcher is fighting for the last spot on the team it will not be Sisco. I don't know where all this blind Haeger love comes from but he's not going to make the roster unless he is a fifth starter, and even then, that would be only if the Sox were heavily disappointed in Floyd.