PDA

View Full Version : JD Drew issue resolved.

JermaineDye05
01-25-2007, 06:50 PM
January 25, 2007
J.D. Drew contract has been resolved
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff

Outfielder J.D. Drew will indeed appear in a Red Sox uniform this season. A resolution has been reached on his contract, and an announcement of his signing of a five-year, $70 million deal is expected tomorrow.

The issues that kept a final agreement from being struck for more than six weeks after Drew's agent, Scott Boras, announced that Drew was signing with the Sox have been resolved, and will give the Sox protection in the event that a preexisting condition in Drew's shoulder should incapacitate him in the latter stages of the deal.

Sox doctors, in examining Drew and his medical records, detected potential indicators of future shoulder problems three to five years from now. Drew underwent surgery in September, 2005, when he was with the Dodgers, to repair a tear in his labrum, and also had some holes drilled in his shoulder blade to facilitate cartilage growth. He reported shoulder weakness last season while with the Dodgers, and admitted that it might have contributed to a midseason decline in his power.

If Drew goes on the disabled list for anything related to this finding in the third year of the deal, the Sox can void the final two years of the contract. If he is disabled in the fourth year, the Sox can void the final year of the deal.

The out clause is not triggered if Drew is disabled for any reason other than anything directly connected to the Sox findings on his shoulder.

Drew is expected to play right field and bat fifth behind David Ortiz in the Sox order.

Sox spokesman John Blake said the club had no comment. There was no announcement expected tonight, he said.

Drew is not expected to come to Boston tomorrow for the announcement.

I still can't believe he's getting 70 million

Fenway
01-25-2007, 07:03 PM
I still can't believe he's getting 70 million

most Red Sox fans can't either :angry:

Waiting for J.D. Drew's Press Conference for 51 Days, 01 Hours, 18 Minutes, 28 Seconds.

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Thank god that's taken care of, boy what a relief!

JD "DL" or "Nancy" Drew's failed physical could have been the best thing that has happened to the Red Sox and then still sign him to a ridiculous contract. Oh well, not my problem.

balke
01-26-2007, 02:41 AM
hahaha, I didn't know he was getting so much. Jermaine Dye is working for free in comparison, and had a monster season last season.