PDA

View Full Version : Anderson's big year

Rowandws33
01-25-2007, 12:01 AM
I think all signs point to BA having a great year. The way he finished the season and his off season work. I excpect big things from him this year. What do you all think..
Go Sox

JorgeFabregas
01-25-2007, 12:05 AM
His off season work...? Last I heard he was losing twenty pounds in Venezuela. Is there something more recent?

IlliniSox4Life
01-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I think all signs point to him definately struggling to start the season.

Rowandws33
01-25-2007, 12:16 AM
What makes you say that????

ondafarm
01-25-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree with Rowand on this one. He should be fine.

IlliniSox4Life
01-25-2007, 12:22 AM
What makes you say that????

He lost 20 pounds from getting real sick in Venezuela and got pretty much no time in the winter leagues. He's apparently put on most, if not all of that weight and is feeling better, but he didn't get all of the work in that the team wanted him to. Also, the signing of Erstad will almost definately cut into his playing time.

I'm not saying eventually he won't be fine, but I don't think he's going to start off the season real hot. I think he's got the ability to be a good player, but he won't show all of that the first month or so.

Rowandws33
01-25-2007, 12:23 AM
from the new article sounds like he is doing alot this off season...

Rowandws33
01-25-2007, 12:31 AM
he will be ready for spring training and thats the important thing. I think he will come out for the regular season on fire in my opinion.

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Actually I think that Anderson's year maybe so good, that he may be the new #2 hitter by mid April. Seriously, in the year the cut down on his strikeout and put up better numbers than Granderson in the second half of the season. This wouldn't surprise me if this was the new line-up in a few months:

Lineup after Pods is healthy
LF Pods-L
CF Anderson-R
RF Dye-R
DH Thome-L
1B Konerko-R
2B Iguchi-R
C Pierzynski-L
3B Crede-R
SS Uribe-R

IlliniSox4Life
01-25-2007, 12:55 AM
from the new article sounds like he is doing alot this off season...

Well, he has been since then. But the fact is he did get extremely sick which prevented him from playing almost the entire time in the winter leagues. The off season plan was for him to do everything he has done PLUS play in Venezuela. It's not any fault of his own, it's just everything we were told going into the off season was that BA needed time in the winter leagues, and that it should really help him develop his swing, etc. Now is that suddenly not important any more?

I think he'll be fine after he gets more reps in games, but I just don't understand why you think he in particular is going to have an amazing start to the year.

Grzegorz
01-25-2007, 04:43 AM
A link would be great. I believe he'll be fine too; his weight loss is not an issue. Once he puts on healthy weight he'll be fine.

I hope he's working out; running, fielding, base running, and hitting. He'll need to cover a lot of ground this year and his bat has to improve as far as being consistent.

I am ready for 2007; Erstad and Hall are the type of "under the radar" signings that build championship teams.

Let's go Chicago White Sox!

The Immigrant
01-25-2007, 05:09 AM
A link would be great.

I assume this thread refers to Gonzales's article in today's Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070124sox,1,1744414.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

Cowley has a nice feature on Jenks in today's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/229173,CST-SPT-jenks25.article

jenn2080
01-25-2007, 07:41 AM

I concur. I think Anderson is going to have a pretty good year.

Madvora
01-25-2007, 07:57 AM
I think all signs point to BA having a great year. The way he finished the season and his off season work. I excpect big things from him this year. What do you all think..
Go Sox

Yeah, I think all signs point to him definately struggling to start the season.
What are all of these signs you guys are talking about? It's been winter. All we can do is guess. I remember that Anderson had an awesome spring last year and we were really excited about him starting out the year. I hope he brings his 2006 spring performance into the 2007 season. I like the guy and I'm rooting for him, but all we can do is guess. Baseball is very unpredicable.

drewcifer
01-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Haven't heard anything either since his abrupt return from Venezuela over some kind of stomach issue...

I certainly hope he has a break-out year, though. I really want to like this kid.

ondafarm
01-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Actually I think that Anderson's year maybe so good, that he may be the new #2 hitter by mid April. Seriously, in the year the cut down on his strikeout and put up better numbers than Granderson in the second half of the season. . . .

Glad to see somebody else take up this position.

JermaineDye05
01-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Glad to see somebody else take up this position.

I as well see Anderson being the new #2 hitter eventually, he just seems like he could be the prototypical #2 hitter. I've thought he could be in the mix for that position since the end of the season.

Hitmen77
01-25-2007, 09:14 AM

I concur. I think Anderson is going to have a pretty good year.

Me too. I'm expecting a good year from BA this year.

I'm surprised how many fans are ready to give up on him - as if no one who ever struggled in their rookie season went on to have a decent career.

spiffie
01-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm seeing a 285/340/460 line from Anderson this year. He's going to start to rake the ball to all fields, show a little pop in the bat, and be a consistent hitter. I don't see him going into the #2 hole just because I feel like Iguchi grooves well in that spot, but I see him becoming a force in the #8 spot.

WizardsofOzzie
01-25-2007, 09:46 AM
My feet are firmly planted on the Brian Anderson bandwagon! Put him in center and let him do his thing!

Uncle_Patrick
01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm surprised how many fans are ready to give up on him - as if no one who ever struggled in their rookie season went on to have a decent career.

I'm surprised, too. I think Brian's going to be a really good player. I'm hoping for big things this year.

tick53
01-25-2007, 10:36 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the next Mickey Mantle! :D:
(except for that switch-hitting thing)

White Sox Randy
01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Go Sox

Just curious what you mean by "a great year" ? I like BA but what does that mean ?

Is .260 16 61 a "great year" ?

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Just curious what you mean by "a great year" ? I like BA but what does that mean ?

Anderson's line for next year:

.280AVG/.320OBP/.370SLG/20HRS/22SB/70RBI'S

Going out on a limb here but that's just the way I see it.

GoSox2K3
01-25-2007, 11:12 AM

That plus great defense would be a plus for the Sox.

maurice
01-25-2007, 12:54 PM
With BA's fantastic defense in CF, I'd be happy with a .260 AVE with some HR and a good number of BB.

He certainly could do better than that, but anything above .260 is frosting.

White Sox Randy
01-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Anderson's line for next year:

.280AVG/.320OBP/.370SLG/20HRS/22SB/70RBI'S

Going out on a limb here but that's just the way I see it.

That would be HUGE for the Sox if he could do it. But, he would have to have the job full-time - not splitting it with Erstad.

Nellie_Fox
01-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I as well see Anderson being the new #2 hitter eventually, he just seems like he could be the prototypical #2 hitter.What is your idea of a prototypical #2 guy? Mine is certainly not someone who strikes out as much as Anderson does. A #2 guy needs to be able to put the ball in play.

TDog
01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Brian Anderson isn't a kid with a sweet swing who needs playing time. He is a stellar defensive center fielder with a bad mechanics on the plate. He won't have a solid offensive season until he is successful in working away from his natural style that leaves him vulnerable to good inside heat. Greg Walker isn't shy about saying Anderson needs a lot of work at the plate.

Joe Crede worked with Walker for years before it clicked. I hope it clicks with Anderson this year. The truth is, Anderson has shown nothing to warrant such high hopes for the 2007 season. I don't know what he has done in the offseason to justify such confidence. Seeing him having a breakout season is wishful thinking.

JermaineDye05
01-25-2007, 02:29 PM
What is your idea of a prototypical #2 guy? Mine is certainly not someone who strikes out as much as Anderson does. A #2 guy needs to be able to put the ball in play.

I should have said, strike outs aside BA could be a good #2 hitter. He just seems to have the pretty good speed for it and if I'm not mistaken I think he was a pretty good hat hitting to all fields while in AAA. I think Walk will work good with BA to drop his K totals. Anyways this is just a hunch on my part on BA being able to be a good #2 hitter.

soxrme
01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the next Mickey Mantle! :D:

(except for that switch-hitting thing)

can you get me some of that stuff your smoking!

PaulDrake
01-25-2007, 06:38 PM
I certainly hope he has a break-out year, though. I really want to like this kid. I already like him, but have my doubts that he'll amount to much.

JB98
01-25-2007, 07:16 PM
What is your idea of a prototypical #2 guy? Mine is certainly not someone who strikes out as much as Anderson does. A #2 guy needs to be able to put the ball in play.

I agree, Nellie. I also believe a #2 hitter needs to be able to take some pitches to allow the leadoff hitter a chance to steal. Anderson doesn't have that type of plate discipline. In addition, a #2 hitter needs to be able to hit with strikes on him. I would not describe Brian in that manner. In fact, I'm not sure what Brian does well offensively. Leave him at the bottom of the order and hope he gets things figured out.

I'd be beyond delighted if Anderson hits .250 this season.