PDA

View Full Version : Options question

itsnotrequired
01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Okay, a player on the 40 man roster (but not the 25) plays with the major club in September and is then back in the minors come next season. Has an option been used? I'm thinking no.

Daver
01-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Okay, a player on the 40 man roster (but not the 25) plays with the major club in September and is then back in the minors come next season. Has an option been used? I'm thinking no.

You have to be on the 25 man roster to consider it an option to the MLB level.

itsnotrequired
01-24-2007, 07:55 PM
You have to be on the 25 man roster to consider it an option to the MLB level.

That's what I thought. So if that player got called up the day before rosters are expanded, he would burn an option, correct?

Daver
01-24-2007, 08:15 PM
That's what I thought. So if that player got called up the day before rosters are expanded, he would burn an option, correct?

Yes, because to be called up before the roster expansion means he would have to be on the 25 man roster.

itsnotrequired
01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes, because to be called up before the roster expansion means he would have to be on the 25 man roster.

10-4, thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

DumpJerry
01-24-2007, 11:47 PM
This is why Sweeny was called up just before the Sept. callups. It allowed him to be eligible for post season play. Too bad the Tigers did not use him.

itsnotrequired
01-25-2007, 06:03 AM
This is why Sweeny was called up just before the Sept. callups. It allowed him to be eligible for post season play. Too bad the Tigers did not use him.

So you have to be on the 25 man roster BEFORE Septemebr call-ups to be eligible for the post season? I did not know this.

wilburaga
01-25-2007, 09:22 AM

I disagree with much of what has been said here. Guys who were on the 40 man roster in string training and were subsequently optioned to the minors have certainly used an option. Guys like Haeger, Owens, Tracey and Lopez fit this category. A September callup is irrelevant to the process.

Both Sweeney and Fields did not burn an option last year because they were not on the 40 man roster until their contracts were puchased in September, and they were not subsequently optioned out.

W