PDA

View Full Version : Fenway Park increases capacity to 38,808 for 2007

Fenway
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
The reconstruction of the Fenway Theme Park continues.

Club continues commitment to upgrading historic stadium (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070124&content_id=1785718&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

pictures of new seats (http://2007redsox.blogspot.com/2007/01/look-what-done-to-my-park-ma.html)

Fenway isn't going anywhere any time soon.

"We're very pleased and proud that Fenway is now on the national historic register, but we also respect that the fact that that means three different levels of review from three different levels of government," said Smith.
"I think, often times, owners are reluctant to put their buildings on the historic register for fear of that kind of scrutiny. I think, in our case, we have not only welcomed it, but have found that those agencies have been a real source of guidance for us and we've often gone to them to ask for advice before we commit pen to paper in order to make sure we are adhering to the proper guidelines."

jabrch
01-24-2007, 07:50 PM
:whocares

itsnotrequired
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
:whocares

:rolleyes:

Here we go again...

Daver
01-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Just keep polishing that turd Boston, even though it will never shine.

Fenway
01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
:rolleyes:

Here we go again...

more seats for visiting White Sox fans :smile:

Scottiehaswheels
01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
that officially makes it not the smallest park in MLB now right? I think it might even excede the Cell in capacity now, am I correct? anyways thats 38,808 that can enjoy their hot dogs wrapped in a slice of bread... I prefer the Cell and our nice new greens seats and GREAT food :)

robertks61
01-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Excellent article & pic's. I've been touring and photographing ballparks since the mid 80's. I saw Fenway in '96.

itsnotrequired
01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
that officially makes it not the smallest park in MLB now right? I think it might even excede the Cell in capacity now, am I correct? anyways thats 38,808 that can enjoy their hot dogs wrapped in a slice of bread... I prefer the Cell and our nice new greens seats and GREAT food :)

The Cell is still bigger. I believe Oakland was the smallest last season but somewhat artificially.

Fenway
01-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Daver I couldn't agree with you more

we stuck with the dump

thedudeabides
01-24-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm going there for the first time this year when they play the real Sox. I'll reserve judgement until then, but I have to say I'm looking forward to it. I have a soft spot for old stadiums.

Brian26
01-24-2007, 09:39 PM

I was thinking along the same lines. This is the proverbial "squeezing 20 lbs of crap into a 10 lb bag."

MUsoxfan
01-25-2007, 01:34 AM
The place is gonna topple over on itself sooner than later.

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 02:06 AM
The place is gonna topple over on itself sooner than later.

I was just about to say that the Red Sox may have a Wrigley situation where it may not even meet the requirements to be functioning. Sooner or later they need to build a new stadium and I know with the condos in place and all across the street, they may need to play for a season or two elsewhere to build a new stadium in that area. Unless there is something I don't know fenway?

itsnotrequired
01-25-2007, 07:06 AM
I was just about to say that the Red Sox may have a Wrigley situation where it may not even meet the requirements to be functioning. Sooner or later they need to build a new stadium and I know with the condos in place and all across the street, they may need to play for a season or two elsewhere to build a new stadium in that area. Unless there is something I don't know fenway?

I was under the impression that many of the upgrades over the last few years have included structural ones (new/upgraded supports, foundation repairs, etc.). It looks like Boston is very diligent about keeping it maintained in hopes of avoiding "falling concrete" scenarios.

kraut83
01-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I was at Fenway to see our Sox in 2004, and couldn't believe how cramped & crowded the place was then. I imagine the Boston fire marshall just winked and looked the other way with these additions.

Luke
01-25-2007, 01:09 PM

I was there last fall for the road series. The infrastructure looked to be in petty good shape. Masonry was newly tuck pointed, concrete was in good repair, conduits and electrical raceways looked good. Drain pipes looked OK.

It looks like ownership is pretty commited to staying there and very proactive about upkeep, and given proper upkeep a building can have a pretty long lifespan. As far as a fan experience goes, it was what all my Red Sox fan-friends told me it would be: Pretty on TV, but a pain in person. Pretty cramped, and hard to get around...and a bad scorecard in the program...but I got over that.

It will never be what we're used to, which is a modern facility, with leg room, and wide concourses, but they did what they could to keep it as current as a 90+ year old stadium can be.

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I was there last fall for the road series. The infrastructure looked to be in petty good shape. Masonry was newly tuck pointed, concrete was in good repair, conduits and electrical raceways looked good. Drain pipes looked OK.

It looks like ownership is pretty commited to staying there and very proactive about upkeep, and given proper upkeep a building can have a pretty long lifespan. As far as a fan experience goes, it was what all my Red Sox fan-friends told me it would be: Pretty on TV, but a pain in person. Pretty cramped, and hard to get around...and a bad scorecard in the program...but I got over that.

It will never be what we're used to, which is a modern facility, with leg room, and wide concourses, but they did what they could to keep it as current as a 90+ year old stadium can be.

I guess I see where you are coming from but what I still don't get is that why don't they do what the bears did for Soldier Field(With a better design), so then they could have the new ammenities along with the old ballpark feel?

Luke
01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I they looked at doing that, but there's just no way to shoehorn all the amenities into the old confines.

To put it in perspective, thing about old vs. new Comiskey. They have (had) similar seatin capacities, but new ball park has a gigantic footprint, and towered over the old one. I think the renovated Soldier Field actually lost seats, and still towers over the old building line.

It's a combination of new codes, newer building products, and fan demands.

jenn2080
01-25-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm going there for the first time this year when they play the real Sox. I'll reserve judgement until then, but I have to say I'm looking forward to it. I have a soft spot for old stadiums.

I personally thought the park was fantastic. One of my favorites.

Fenway
01-25-2007, 07:01 PM

I think we are now looking 15-20 years from now but at some point they willhave to play at Gillette for a year or 2. The Krafts designed it so it could be configured for baseball if needed.

But if they are staying there ( and it appears they are ) they HAVE to redo the seating bowl in the grandstand and right field. Problem is if they do they will lose 2,000 seats and since they are still selling there is no reason for them to do it.

Fenway was never allowed to crumble like Comiskey, Wrigley and Tiger Stadium have. Harrington started to let it go downhill in the late 90's when he thought he was getting a new park but the new ownership has addressed those issues.

What is amazing is this year there will be a womens bathroom on the third base side. Never was one.

Ever since Fenway opened in 1912, there has been a men's room behind the third-base grandstands. But 2007 will mark the first time there has been a ladies' room on that side of the stands. The third-base deck will also create the opportunity for additional concession stands

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 04:29 AM
I think we are now looking 15-20 years from now but at some point they willhave to play at Gillette for a year or 2. The Krafts designed it so it could be configured for baseball if needed.

But if they are staying there ( and it appears they are ) they HAVE to redo the seating bowl in the grandstand and right field. Problem is if they do they will lose 2,000 seats and since they are still selling there is no reason for them to do it.

Fenway was never allowed to crumble like Comiskey, Wrigley and Tiger Stadium have. Harrington started to let it go downhill in the late 90's when he thought he was getting a new park but the new ownership has addressed those issues.

What is amazing is this year there will be a womens bathroom on the third base side. Never was one.

A rebirth I guess?:dunno:

roylestillman
01-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow. I haven't been to Fenway since 2000 and by that time it was an awful place on the inside. It looks like year by year they are virtually rebuilding the place.

I was also impressed to see that Janet Marie Smith is in charge of the project. She was the woman that turned the original plan for Camden Yards - which was almost a twin of the New Comiskey (in fact the design was by HOK the same architects of the New Comiskey) into what became Camden Yards. She single handedly rolled out the era of retro ballparks. There is a book called "Ballpark" which details the planning and design of Camden Yards. Its a great read.

Luke
01-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Wow. I haven't been to Fenway since 2000 and by that time it was an awful place on the inside. It looks like year by year they are virtually rebuilding the place.

I was also impressed to see that Janet Marie Smith is in charge of the project. She was the woman that turned the original plan for Camden Yards - which was almost a twin of the New Comiskey (in fact the design was by HOK the same architects of the New Comiskey) into what became Camden Yards. She single handedly rolled out the era of retro ballparks. There is a book called "Ballpark" which details the planning and design of Camden Yards. Its a great read.

Really?

I was always under the impression that it was the Sox that were presented with something like Camden first. I had no idea that the O's we approached with something resembling New Comiskey.

skottyj242
01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah Boston.

roylestillman
01-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Really?

I was always under the impression that it was the Sox that were presented with something like Camden first. I had no idea that the O's we approached with something resembling New Comiskey.

I worked on some aspects of the planning of the new park for the City, and first set of plans we were given changed very little from what was built. (Oddly one idea was an attempt to keep much of the 35th Street facade of the old park intact as the facade of the 35th (Gate 3) ramps. It was later determine that the brick work couldn't survive, but the northern outline of that structure virtually follows the same footprint of the old park.) The new park owed more to Kansas City than any other park. The key idea was that no support pillars would obstruct any view and that the game would be viewable from the concession concourse. Sounded great, but when the new park opened there were no concessions on the field side of the concourse (making the lines a nightmare) and we were stuck with that stubby blue "roof" until the new one was built. The original Camden rendering is in the book I mentioned and looks the same as the original New Comiskey. (Including tearing down that old warehouse...)

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Really?

Well considering the fact that New Comiskey was built before Camden yards, yea I would think that would make sense. Unless I'm terribly mistaken.

ILuvThatDuck
01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah Boston.

Yeah Boston, More than A Feelin Rocks!!!!!!

Luke
01-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I always believed that the Sox had picked out a spot in Addison, approached HOK for a design, and were presented with something retro. The Sox declined and said that they wanted a modern facility, ala Kaufman Stadium. When It became clear Addison wasn't going to happen, they adapted the modern design for the current site, and managed to (almost) squeeze it on a city block.

There were always rumors floating around that the Sox declined a stadium design (not Armour Field) that was saved, and turned into Camden, but I think that's all they were...rumors.

SoxFan64
01-26-2007, 09:50 PM
I always believed that the Sox had picked out a spot in Addison, approached HOK for a design, and were presented with something retro. The Sox declined and said that they wanted a modern facility, ala Kaufman Stadium. When It became clear Addison wasn't going to happen, they adapted the modern design for the current site, and managed to (almost) squeeze it on a city block.

There were always rumors floating around that the Sox declined a stadium design (not Armour Field) that was saved, and turned into Camden, but I think that's all they were...rumors.

They were going to be in Addison. IIRC, it seemed to be the northern most of the western suburbs of the Interstate that had: a) space for a stadium, and b) would not be too far for those from the far southern suburbs to get to.

Again I am doing this from memory and I willing to bet that someone hear knows more but there was a design that made the Chicago papers that would be a retro park. But the Sox ownership wanted the KC design because it had the largest increase in premium seats -- around 25k vs. 9k at Old Comiskey.

On the Baltimore front I have a bit more knowledge, Camden came about because of a few things: a) a Baltimore design student for a class project designed a stadium using the warehouse as RF wall, b) the Baltimore Sun (pre-Tribune ownership) trumpted the design in a series of front page stories and orchestrated a public campaign to use the design, and c) the Orioles were going through an ownership change and there was a vaccum there (some say the vaccum is still there owning the team) , d) the Maryland Gen Assembly, which like Illinois' GA had a say, because they were footing the bill (and unlike the case in Chicago, the Maryland GA use not "under the gun" with a move to Tampa Bay facing them) really liked the retro design, and e) the Gov. William Donald Schaefer was a former Mayor of Baltimore and he really helped push it through the legislature with the retro look.

I think we have to be careful about comparing the two designs because of the order they came on line and the resources used to push one design over the other. The Sox wanted premium seating and a location to build out a fan base. The Orioles wanted the premium stuff too but the location was set -- they wanted to be 10 miles closer to the DC market and be the center piece of a downtown building boom.

Fenway
01-26-2007, 11:55 PM
This was the "new" Fenway Park (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/bosbpk.htm)that Harrington announced in 1999 just before the All Star Game.....

Everybody laughed at the fan group Save Fenway Park (http://www.savefenwaypark.com)and Harrington dismissed them as nuts. However the new ownership did listen to them especially Lucchino who was the driving force behind Camden Yards when he was with Baltimore. When they took over their first hire was Janet Marie Smith who had worked with Lucchino in both Baltimore and San Diego.

You don't fully understand the gold mine that Fenway Park has become until you see fans taking tours on a Friday afternoon in 7 degree weather in January.

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 05:27 AM
This was the "new" Fenway Park (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/bosbpk.htm)that Harrington announced in 1999 just before the All Star Game.....

Everybody laughed at the fan group Save Fenway Park (http://www.savefenwaypark.com)and Harrington dismissed them as nuts. However the new ownership did listen to them especially Lucchino who was the driving force behind Camden Yards when he was with Baltimore. When they took over their first hire was Janet Marie Smith who had worked with Lucchino in both Baltimore and San Diego.

You don't fully understand the gold mine that Fenway Park has become until you see fans taking tours on a Friday afternoon in 7 degree weather in January.

I think people do understand it hence the Red Cub references.

itsnotrequired
01-27-2007, 09:21 AM
I think people do understand it hence the Red Cub references.

The whole "Red Cub" tag is lame.

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 09:29 AM
The whole "Red Cub" tag is lame.

I didn't create the nickname.

itsnotrequired
01-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I didn't create the nickname.

I didn't say you did. The name is still stupid though.